License plate bulb

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ret63

License plate bulb

Post by ret63 »

I am thinking of replacing my License plate bulb with an LED. does anyone know the specs/size on this? All I can find is the voltage and part number.

Thanks
R
amy

Re: License plate bulb

Post by amy »

ret63 wrote:I am thinking of replacing my License plate bulb with an LED. does anyone know the specs/size on this? All I can find is the voltage and part number.

Thanks
R
Buddies have license plate bulbs?
ret63

Re: License plate bulb

Post by ret63 »

amy wrote:
ret63 wrote:I am thinking of replacing my License plate bulb with an LED. does anyone know the specs/size on this? All I can find is the voltage and part number.

Thanks
R
Buddies have license plate bulbs?
Yes, my Italia has one.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

They all should have one, it's pretty small.

EDIT: I have to ask: why? What do you hope to gain by switching this out?

The problem is that this lamp is driven from the stator coil circuit that drives the headlamp and gauge lamp, not connected to the battery. This power source is far from clean and might be AC. This is no place to use a LED. My guess it worse case it burns out instantly, best case it works, most likely it flickers horribly.
ret63

Post by ret63 »

JettaKnight wrote:They all should have one, it's pretty small.

EDIT: I have to ask: why? What do you hope to gain by switching this out?

The problem is that this lamp is driven from the stator coil circuit that drives the headlamp and gauge lamp, not connected to the battery. This power source is far from clean and might be AC. This is no place to use a LED. My guess it worse case it burns out instantly, best case it works, most likely it flickers horribly.
Not hoping to gain anything actually, it more about the look.
I have already replace the blinkers and deadlight with LED's after replacing the flasher relay and getting the wiring harness to use the deadlights as parking lights... Which seems to be working without any flicker, so far...
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ret63 wrote:I have already replace the blinkers and deadlight with LED's after replacing the flasher relay and getting the wiring harness to use the deadlights as parking lights... Which seems to be working without any flicker, so far...
I believe you have to use regulators or the LED's will eventually burn out. Did you use any regulators?
ret63

Post by ret63 »

k1dude wrote:
ret63 wrote:I have already replace the blinkers and deadlight with LED's after replacing the flasher relay and getting the wiring harness to use the deadlights as parking lights... Which seems to be working without any flicker, so far...
I believe you have to use regulators or the LED's will eventually burn out. Did you use any regulators?
No, just the LED relay for the blinkers.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Actually, if you look carefully at the specs at places like Superbrightleds.com, you'll see that some are rated at only 12v, where some others are rated for 14-15v. The 12v guys will likely get zorched eventually in the Buddy electrical system. Get the higher-rated lamps, and you can probably get by without extra limiters.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!