Funny interactions with motorcycle riders?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Got "the finger" from a Harley rider yesterday (on my birthday, yet!) when I waived. The woman on the bike behind him waived though. That's really first Harley a-hole I've encountered in Tulsa! Some are amused by scooters but very few are somewhat violently opposed.... Oh well!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

was he a "rough" looking harley rider or a shirt and tie type?
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I had just got my SYMba back in March and rode it to work one day. At the end of the day, the Harley boys were out there getting ready to leave. Now these guys are the ones that have the fully dressed out bikes: saddle cases, windshield and radio.

One of the guys says to me, "How many CC's does that thing have?" I told him. He says, "That thing is a death trap." "How so?" I replied. "Well, it does have enough power to get you out of trouble." I told him, "It isn't freeway legal and I take side streets to go home."

I'm thinking, "Death trap, really?" as I was watching this guy lumber away with his helmet that is no bigger than a dog dish on his head.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

Yeah, it's almost always the brakes, not the throttle that save you.
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I've had tons of interactions over the last few years. A recent memorable one was a game of "chicken" which wasn't particularly safe in hindsight. I live in Los Angeles, and commute on some of the busiest streets during rush hour, parallel to the 405 freeway.

Traffic is bumper to bumper, red light to red light.

I split traffic the entire drive for miles. 15/20 mph driving right on the dotted line between the two lanes, cars going 5 to 10 mph. Despite the abuse I occasionally get (I can write for pages on it) it's usually a very simple ride. I had a 50cc scoot, small. Very nimble. I can fit through anything. Other's cant. Period. Or so you'd think.

There's several motorcyclists, and scooterists, I routinely see or ride with depending on the time of day. There's one guy I'm passive-aggressively friendly with, though we've only ever waved while riding.

He used to roar past me, then get mad when he got stuck and couldn't split. His ride is too wide and big, not by much but enough: a 50cc Metro can fit anything so I inch through.

So he'd roar past me on straightaways, and in traffic, I'd inch past and end up far ahead. He'd revv his engine a LOT when I did that.

This went on for weeks, maybe months. Sometimes it was friendly. It was like a game of horse. I'd split a car...then he'd follow. Then I let him go first. etc.

It went from annoyance to a game. We did it friendly like, you know?

One day we were being playful. I split, he followed. We came up to a tight junction. I knew I could make it, he couldn't. So I didn't go.

He revved his engine a lot at me. Kind of like calling me chicken, or else saying he CAN make it.

I went through. He followed, barely. A few minutes later, same thing. I paused. He revved repeatedly. I shook my head no. He revved louder. So I did it. And annoyed, with speed. Maybe 20mph...not much around slow moving vehicles, but enough to zip through a bunch of cars.

He tried to follow. But with cars moving slowly, it's a moving target. To those of you who never split, it's the sideview mirrors that mess you up. SUV's up high, smaller cars down low. It's sideview-on-sideview mirror contact that's the risk.

Anyway, you know how Indiana Jones slides under the closing stone door and yet still grabs his hat? That was me.

The guy that gets stuck? The biker. Couldn't make it. CRRRRUNNNCCCH.

Slight pingponging between them, scraping up his ride a bit and lost his sideview mirrors. Some scratches on both the other cars, but it was mostly his bike that got messed up, because he panicked and dropped it at the end. He was *absolutely* fine. No real damage to his bike either; just cosmetics. Pretty darn expensive cosmetics. Messed up handlebars, etc. But am embarrassing lesson for him. A really embarrassing lesson. It was right by Westwood Blvd at Santa Monica blvd for those of you in LA. He was ok, so it was just funny.

The first thing he said to me was the first time I ever heard his voice. After waving me to keep going, he shouted "Shoulda listened to you."
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Raiderfn31 wrote:was he a "rough" looking harley rider or a shirt and tie type?
Rougher look but couldn't tell if he just "dressed" or not.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

So I'm riding down some great country roads near Bull Run, VA last Friday and it's a perfect day out and I'm just reacquainting myself with some cool twisty roads and testing my new prima saddlebags to make sure they wont blow off. There were a lot of Harley drivers out and about all of them were waving. I was riding along with my scooter and enjoying a good cigar and a Harley driver strikes a wave and then puts his fingers to the front of his helmet and make ad peace sign "V" and wiggles his fingers. I'm like "WTF does that mean?? He must be jealous of my cigar! or is there something down the road? hmmmm."

Low and behold about a mile down the road about 5 yards off the opposite side of the road standing in a well trimmed lawn stands a big 12 point buck. He doesn't flinch or move a hair for the few minutes that I am stopped there... "Hmmm, decoy? Oh well, more great road to ride." So I ride a few more miles down the road before it dead ends and I must turn around and go back towards the deer.

As I reapproach the spot again, there he stands in the same exact position. I again stop and watch him as he stands there motionless. "Are you a decoy or real, Mr. Buck?" He stands there majestically and just gives a flutter of his tail and otherwise stands there without a worry or care. "Yep he's real... Cool, I guess that wiggly "V" on the helm sign means deer!"
Last edited by Coyote on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Coyote wrote:... I guess that wiggly "V" sign means deer!"
I remember the first time a MC rider rode by me patting the top of his helmet. I had no idea what it meant. Was he saying cool helmet? WTF? :roll: I had no idea there was this whole language of hand signs and he was telling me there were police up ahead.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Watch out for deer! I know a couple people who've had catastrophic run ins with them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

If you were with us on the ride Kevin led a month ago to Mt Weather, we saw tons of deer! I was riding with Julie out between Marshall and Berryville along Rte 17 and a huge 12 pointer tore across the road right in front of us, darting into a cornfield, it was awesome!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I found this cool. Stopped to get gas this morning on my way to church and there was an older guy at the next pump gassing up his truck. He looked over and started asking me about my scooter--what model, how much they cost.... He had a black Harley t-shirt under his jean jacket so I figured he rode.

We talked a little and he finished gassing up just before me. He said his wife (who was in the truck) was thinking of getting a scooter. Last thing he said: "Keep your knees to the breeze."

Coolest thing he DIDN'T say: "What kind of gas mileage do you get?"

Just a cool dude.
hackett

Post by hackett »

pugbuddy wrote:

Last thing he said: "Keep your knees to the breeze."
Silly Harley rider. The leg shield keeps the breeze off your knees. :lol:
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Yesterday a lady in an SUV rolled down her window when we stopped at a red light and yelled out "Love your Buddy!"
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:Yesterday a lady in an SUV rolled down her window when we stopped at a red light and yelled out "Love your Buddy!"
If she knows enough to recognize it, and "loves" it, why isn't she riding one? :)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Not too long ago someone pulled up next to me singing this song..
http://youtu.be/OdximU6Ao00

How come no one thinks of this.....?
http://youtu.be/zmYZ2kk1NiU
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ditto about watching the deer. Last year we had a couple on a cruiser bike go down after hitting one. Their friends were following too close and got taken down as well. There were at least 2 killed. Can't remember much more than that.

And don't think you won't see them in built-up areas or on freeways and interstates, either. Any time there's roadwork that involves re-seeding the shoulders, they go crazy, especially fall/winter because they crave green grass.

I do ride a MC but I get as many funny looks on mine as you do on the scooters. Just yesterday, some guy in a pickup with the body loaded with kayaks rubbernecked at me for miles. I guess he couldn't figure out what I was riding.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

When I ride my motorcycle I only wave at scooterist. :lol:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

TVB wrote:
Stormswift wrote:Yesterday a lady in an SUV rolled down her window when we stopped at a red light and yelled out "Love your Buddy!"
If she knows enough to recognize it, and "loves" it, why isn't she riding one? :)
:rofl:
I am not a scooter snob.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:Not too long ago someone pulled up next to me singing this song..
http://youtu.be/OdximU6Ao00

How come no one thinks of this.....?
http://youtu.be/zmYZ2kk1NiU
I think she liked the "name" Buddy, not realizing it is the model of the scooter, not just somehting i named it.
I am not a scooter snob.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

pugbuddy wrote:...and he finished gassing up just before me.
You're not supposed to let them beat you! Fumbling around with the gas cap or your debit card?

I love the look of envy I get from other people at gas stations when they see me about to roll off after spending less then $4
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

LoL! He was almost done, I guess, when I pulled up! I was surprised to put in 1.3+ gallons in my tank too; usually it only takes a gallon or so to fill it up.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

In Denver it's been mostly too cold for too many 2 wheelers to be out. The ones that are seem to have respect that I am too, regardless of size. I've had plenty of snide comments from jerks in monstrous SUV's or trucks, mostly people who fly past me once they realize that a scooter is driving the speed limit. It infuriates them so, but then I think "that person probably used almost as much gas to do that as I will in several short commutes!" and smile.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I usually make a point to wave, especially to scooters. I don't ride one (yet), but I can appreciate some of the difficulties of riding a scoot when the rest of the world wants to do 70+ mph. My Ural T takes its sweet, sweet time about getting up to speed, and WOT is about 65 mph. Unless there's a hill, then you're looking at 50 mph. Most of you guys would be blowing my doors (er, wheels?) off. :lol:

~SM
vwgrl1999

Post by vwgrl1999 »

(think this is my first post.)
When I first got my Met, I was out cruising around some country roads getting a feel for two wheels again (grew up w/bikes around). I stopped along the side of the road, just to take breather and soak in the beautiful spring day. I can hear a Harley off somewhere in the distance and before long I see it heading my way, then slowing down. The guy on the Harley is old, grizzled and 60ish w/a long, full beard which is parting in the middle and blowing back along the sides of his head. He slows down along side of me and asks if I've broken down, do I need some help? Nope, I'm good I say, but thanks! He cracks a smile, nods and rides off. That guy would have happily gotten down on the ground and wrenched on my scoot if I had needed help! I will never forget that.

Another time, I was at a local lake having a swim. Walking back to my scoot, I see a fully loaded Goldwing parked next to it w/the rider perched on his seat, sideways, checking my scoot out. I walk up and we have a conversation that easily lasts about an hour. He asks all kinds of questions about the Met (gas mileage? 100mpg. how old? 2 years. how many miles you got on that? about 3500. At this, the admiration kicks in!) and tells me that he has riden his Goldwing to Alaska and back 3 or 4 times. Finally, as we are getting on our bikes and heading our seperate ways he says "Here's to 3500 more! Keep the shiny side up." You meet all kinds of great folks when you're on a scooter.....and that makes up for the few idiots that don't wave back cuz they are too darned cool for school!
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

alot of the time i see a sports bike or harley and I expect them to not wave, most of the time they wave, but by the time I wave back they probably don't notice =p i always feel like an asshole afterwards
TVB

Post by TVB »

slusher5 wrote:alot of the time i see a sports bike or harley and I expect them to not wave, most of the time they wave, but by the time I wave back they probably don't notice =p i always feel like an asshole afterwards
There's a simple solution to this: wave first. :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Edwub wrote:
The first thing he said to me was the first time I ever heard his voice. After waving me to keep going, he shouted "Shoulda listened to you."
Now that's a cool guy who hopefully learned a lifelong lesson.

I've really no need to split on my commutes but I'd do it if I had to. I've also zipped past a billion turning cars or snuck up to someone not turning and then zipped to the right.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

tell the ones who dis ya to watch this so they 'get it'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQJo2jZCvU
donkin

Post by donkin »

vwgrl1999 wrote: ... You meet all kinds of great folks when you're on a scooter.....and that makes up for the few idiots that don't wave back cuz they are too darned cool for school!
Can't say it any better myself.

Riding and smiling.
Member 2166
vwgrl1999

Post by vwgrl1999 »

Had another great interaction this past Sunday. I was riding to work, and was stopped in traffic at a light. The town I was driving thru is very old, lots of Victorian architecture and I'm just sitting there, looking up at the wonderful brick work on a nearby building. I look to my right as an F-150 pulls up at a side alley, waiting to get out into traffic, and the passenger side door of the truck opens. A kid of about 18-20 leans out of the door and says something like "Love your scooter!" and he and all of his buddies give me a thumbs up! I nodded, smiling ear to ear, and returned the thumbs up. Put me in a good mood for the rest of the ride.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Not sure how many here ride a motorcycle and a scooter, but I do. I can tell you that the jerks are jerks to everyone if you're not riding the right bike. Many HD riders only wave to HD riders. Many sport bike guys only wave to their own. You will always get a wave from someone on the same type of bike that you are on. That is the rule. The exception is rare. I still only wave at scooters, but it seems to freak many of them out. Many don't wave back. :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Lotrat wrote:You will always get a wave from someone on the same type of bike that you are on. That is the rule. The exception is rare.
I've found both sides of that untrue. Not all scooterists wave back, and I've gotten plenty of waves from people on hawgs, rockets, and mopeds.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Lotrat wrote:Not sure how many here ride a motorcycle and a scooter, but I do. I can tell you that the jerks are jerks to everyone if you're not riding the right bike. Many HD riders only wave to HD riders. Many sport bike guys only wave to their own. You will always get a wave from someone on the same type of bike that you are on. That is the rule. The exception is rare. I still only wave at scooters, but it seems to freak many of them out. Many don't wave back. :lol:
Many big twin HD riders only wave to other big twin HD riders. ...unless you're a girl.
More people wave at me on my scooter than at my boyfriend on his Sportster, including some of the big hog guys. When I ride the Sportster I notice I get more waves than he does also, maybe it's because I wear a bright pink helmet and the Sportster is referred to as the girl's bike as far as Harleys go, my scooter even more so... and guys just want to be nice to the ladies on two wheels - because there are certainly fewer of us than there are of them!
I wave to everyone, because if I only waved to scooter people... I would never be waving to anyone!
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Received a wave from a motorcyclist and a scooterist about ten seconds apart from each other.

I'll blame all this Utopian harmony on the warm weather... 8)
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

My bike doesn't exactly fit in any category. Where I'm working now, there are a lot of sportbikers and they always wave. Guys on Japanese cruisers usually will.

I'm finally seeing a fair number of Harley chauvinists, usually fat white guys, and they usually ignore me so I respond in kind. About the only exceptions are the town's motor cops and they ride by where mine's parked when they go in and out so they recognize the bike if not me.

I think the few scooterists I see are mostly riding for economy and are not really into the social aspect. They pretty well ignore me.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Southerner wrote:I think the few scooterists I see are mostly riding for economy and are not really into the social aspect. They pretty well ignore me.
It may also depend on where you cross paths, too. As a rule, I don't wave at the Hoggers unless they wave first... about 25% of them do (sport bikes are far lower, 5-10%). However, on the Natchez Trace, more like 95% of the Hoggers wave at me on the scooter.
CAPE COD PSYCHO

bikeys love it... not at first though

Post by CAPE COD PSYCHO »

I ride a Buddy Psycho with exhaust and various upgrades. I have lots of friends with Harleys and Sportbikes. They laughed at me at first but after I let them take it for a ride they all fell in love! They love they sound of the Prima exhaust ( I did the jet and airbox mod too). They love how easy it was to ride and maneuver too. I have so much fun on the Psycho I choose to ride it over my DRZ. I get the bikers salute sometimes too :)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

jprestonian wrote:
Southerner wrote:I think the few scooterists I see are mostly riding for economy and are not really into the social aspect. They pretty well ignore me.
It may also depend on where you cross paths, too. As a rule, I don't wave at the Hoggers unless they wave first... about 25% of them do (sport bikes are far lower, 5-10%). However, on the Natchez Trace, more like 95% of the Hoggers wave at me on the scooter.
Your example leads me to believe the where determines the who. By this I mean that the local barhoppers are a different breed from the long haul riders you are meeting out on the road, even though they own the same brand of bike. Also them seeing you on the Trace, they determine that you are pretty hardcore.

The sportbikers here are most likely young soldiers from Fort Benning who bought their dream mounts for transportation. I don't think we have too many racer wannabees hereabouts.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Here in STL I get a good mix. Some times they get ego-tastical and zoom past me, other times they nod or wave, and I think most of the ones that ignore me are just in their own world.

Back when I got my Tomos Arrow I had a few experiences with other riders that were pretty fun. I often cut through the South County Mall to avoid the traffic at the Lindbergh/Lemay intersection, one day a father and his young son were riding their Harley, looked brand new, and we were at one of the stop signs in the parking lot, he said to me, "this is his first ride," motioning to his son. So I hung with them and did a couple laps in the mall parking lot. The kid thought it was cool and the dad smiled and waved when I left.

With the Tomos being a 50cc I can't go the speed limit on a lot of these roads, so I get honked at a lot, pass me, you know that is what the broken white line is for. So this sports car is honing at me because I am actually going the speed limit in a 25 mph zone and I just keep a going. Then a biker pulls around him and joins me in the lane, big bike, and goes 23-30 mph with me for about a mile; the guy in the sports car stopped honking.

Now that I have my Buddy 170i I have only been on the road with it for less than a week, but it is a blast. I have gotten waves from other scooters and bikers. The funny thing is when I pulled out of Wal-Mart and there were three MC at the light with me. I took the access road and they took the interstate, just one exit, and were quite surprised to see me at the light after their exit. I don't know why, just one exit, 45 mph limit, but the look was amusing.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I used to get his on the kitted Rat everyonce and awhile, but on the gts it has happened quite a few times.

Your at a light and near a larger cruiser, cause hey this is the best road around to ride on, so it gonna have alot of bikers on it. Anyway, the light changes and if your behind them, they blast off the light to get as far away from that scooter as possible, but then they look in the mirror, and damnit that scooter is still there, a little more throttle and a look "what tha? no way?"
Then they realize they might be exceding the speed limit and slow down and just let you cruise behind them. Most of them don't have helmets on so I can see the faces in the mirrors. I have a full face with a visor so they can't see me smilling like I got away with something.
:lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Just came back from a ride and I have to say only one bicker did not wave. Must hsve been s new rider. On the average I was being waved at every 5 minutes. Yep, there were that many folks riding today.
I am not a scooter snob.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The weather's good. It changes dramatically with rain & cold.

It was pleasant down here as well. It was a bright day but the air was still decently cool, not the convection-oven effect we get down here in high summer.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

My experience around here is that the Harley guys almost always wave, The Goldwingers usually do, and the crotch rockets and squid kids don't.
chas

Post by chas »

BlueMark wrote:My experience around here is that the Harley guys almost always wave, The Goldwingers usually do, and the crotch rockets and squid kids don't.
Exactly my experience thus far. The Harley guys have been the coolest hands down. Actually, the other day I was riding along and a group of about 5 vested Harley guys came up going the opposite way and all gave me the low two in a totally legit and non-patronizing way. I felt pretty cool haha! I hate to generalize but the crotch rocket types seem to be the douchiest.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I almost always wave first. Since I wave for myself (my personal spread-the-love vibe), it doesn't bother me if I get a wave in return.
theflash784

Funny interactions

Post by theflash784 »

I have yet to see another scooter while I am riding mine but I do see plenty of motorcycles. One chatted with me while we were stopped at the light. I have gotten a few nods from individuals while riding but if I come across a group of riders, those motorcyclists seem to pretend I am not there. I just chuckle as they rush away and give them plenty of space when I finally catch up to them at the red light they have been sitting at.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

chas wrote:
BlueMark wrote:My experience around here is that the Harley guys almost always wave, The Goldwingers usually do, and the crotch rockets and squid kids don't.
Exactly my experience thus far. The Harley guys have been the coolest hands down. Actually, the other day I was riding along and a group of about 5 vested Harley guys came up going the opposite way and all gave me the low two in a totally legit and non-patronizing way. I felt pretty cool haha! I hate to generalize but the crotch rocket types seem to be the douchiest.
I guess it's a regional thing. My experience here in the South has been mostly the opposite.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

So you haven't gotten that lame Harley fingers down wave?
Like ya, we're buddies, right?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Beamster wrote:So you haven't gotten that lame Harley fingers down wave?
Like ya, we're buddies, right?
This is the common wave among all two wheelers in these parts.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Fairly common down here as well. Doesn't seem to matter what sort of bike they're riding.