test rode a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

test rode a Buddy

Post by vitaminC »

Today was the day! Finally got to see a Buddy in person, and I was quite impressed.

I was pleased to see that my helmet (KBC VR1, size large) fit easily under the seat, as that was a concern of mine.

Looked like it was put together pretty well. I definitely think the gauges were nicer than the Vino 125.

And the test ride, although short, was really fun! I was a bit nervous that, coming off of motorcycles, I would be underwhelmed by the performance. In the end, though, it felt just fine. In fact, it felt quite "flickable," and was immedietely confidence inspiring.

About the only thing I didn't like were the color choices. For visibility, I don't care for a black scoot, but the orange/tan combo doesn't look good to me, and pink and creme are definitely out for me. Perhaps I can swing an orange/black combo...

For comparison I also checked out a Bajaj Chetak, as that was the other scoot I am considering. No competition! The Bajaj definitely has some nice attributes, but I think the Buddy would serve me much better.

Anyway, I didn't yet part with any money, but hopefully it will happen soon :mrgreen:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Check out the color swap thread. You could do orange & black for only $50 for new interior panels. Also, have you checked out the cream? Very nice two tone look.

8 days away from buying our Buddy. Unfortunately, the local dealer wouldn't let me take one for a test. But I know people who've ridden them and have read every review I can find online, so... making the leap...
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

If it helps at all, I barely sat on a Buddy before I purchased mine...

I checked 'em out as far as build quality, checked the specs, talked to the 'salesman' (despite the fact that Seth totally sold me on the Buddy, it wasn't because he *sold* it to me... he and I just chatted about the other scooters I was thinking about, and he was so honest and frank that I ended up buying a Buddy the next day), and then bought one.

Honestly, I think my purchase was heavily influenced by the 'salesman' who didn't try to influence me at all. :D

In any case, I think you'll be very pleased. 8)
Huh? What just happened?
freehope

Re: test rode a Buddy

Post by freehope »

vitaminC wrote:About the only thing I didn't like were the color choices. For visibility, I don't care for a black scoot, but the orange/tan combo doesn't look good to me, and pink and creme are definitely out for me. Perhaps I can swing an orange/black combo...
Was this at SF Scooter Center? I was there today picking up our oil filter! (That would have been funny if I ran into you.)

You didn't mention the creme - so I'm assuming he was out of that color already or you just didn't like it either. What about painting?

Good luck! Glad you liked it!

-Freehope
vitaminC

Re: test rode a Buddy

Post by vitaminC »

freehope wrote:Was this at SF Scooter Center? I was there today picking up our oil filter! (That would have been funny if I ran into you.)

You didn't mention the creme - so I'm assuming he was out of that color already or you just didn't like it either. What about painting?

Good luck! Glad you liked it!

-Freehope
Yup, SFSC. If nothing else, Barry is certainly sold on those scoots!

After thinking about it a bunch more, I think I am likely to go with either black or creme (he had all four colors). I am going to try and get back next week or weekend, so we'll see what he has at that time.

He also said he will probably have the Blur in this week, too. While that also sounds like a good choice, I don't want to pay the extra ~$1k.