topcase alternatives

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

black sunshine

topcase alternatives

Post by black sunshine »

i'm really thinking that this summer i will need more space for carrying stuff on my scoot. however, i'm not really into any of the topcases i've seen around. what are some cool / interesting topcase alternatives that you guys have seen?
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

GIVI - Lots to choose from - we have two scoots that use them pretty much all the time. I like the way the come off like a suitcase. Locked on or off. Work great.

This comes after the first year using the older style Genuine topcases. they did work and get the job done, yet you were limited to the one size and they did not come off.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I like the ammo case as a rear rack or as "saddle bags".
Do an image search on Google and you'll some great pics.
Here's one as a "boom" box. Get it? Boom?
On the other end of the spectrum, I also think the Prima roll bags are pretty classy.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

Tocsik wrote:I like the ammo case as a rear rack or as "saddle bags".
On the other end of the spectrum, I also think the Prima roll bags are pretty classy.
that is AWESOME!!! i might have to look into that!!!!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

milk crate status.....Yeze!!!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I like the idea of fabric saddle bags as they can be quickly removed and easily stored away. Don't have to mount them, really. Just secure them under or around the seat and ride. Don't have to use Prima or anything, either. Something like this works fine

For some reason only available "in store" now they have a number of stores in Georgia. To find out if one is close to you, go here and enter your zip code

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/hor ... rFlag=true

Otherwise if you like them and don't have a store nearby you can order similar or the same off ebay or Amazon, I would think? For instance

http://www.amazon.com/JT-Tough-1-Canvas ... 128&sr=8-7

So, soft and inexpensive make shift saddlebags. And how about a versitile helmet lock

http://www.amazon.com/Lockstraps-901-He ... =pd_ybh_15

Just another idea...
Riding is riding
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

I like the Rotopax storage box........
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I like those Formosa Saddlebags - the right-hand bag is a bit shorter to avoid the exhaust, and it looks like they roll up nicely out of the way when not in use. You get a seat cover as well. Not bad for $55.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

There are quite a few leather/fabric options. A few people mentioned saddlebags, and you can also strap a roll bag to a rear rack. Or even just wear a backpack. You can even find some hi-vis ones online.

The thing about those options, though, is that I haven't found any that are lockable like a hard topcase is. But in a thread a bit down, siobhan linked to http://pacsafe.com/ - they don't have much motorcycle-specific stuff except a helmet bag, but they're lockable/knife-proof backpacks that you could strap to the rear rack.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Two words....

Milk crate
Syd

Post by Syd »

Two different words: Old suitcase.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

You might consider one of the Pelican cases. If I were to make another top case, the Pelican would be one of my finalists.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I've got two more words: Zip Ties.

You can strap pretty much anything you want to that rear rack. Just make sure it's light and sturdy.

If you don't want a case, I think the best option is a plastic milk crate (or soda tray, bread rack or similar). You can strap it down, it'll hold plenty of stuff. It won't be secure at all, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. If I never needed to stow gear in my auxiliary storage, I'd probably have something like that strapped down to my bikes as well.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Lostmycage wrote:I've got two more words: Zip Ties.

You can strap pretty much anything you want to that rear rack. Just make sure it's light and sturdy.

If you don't want a case, I think the best option is a plastic milk crate (or soda tray, bread rack or similar). You can strap it down, it'll hold plenty of stuff. It won't be secure at all, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. If I never needed to stow gear in my auxiliary storage, I'd probably have something like that strapped down to my bikes as well.
I don't like zip ties because anyone with a pocket knife or screwdriver can steal your topcase. I always use pipe brackets lined with bicycle tire rubber. I then carriage bolt them through the case with wing-nuts and lockwashers on the inside. That way thieves of opportunity will pass it up. They would basically destroy the case trying to get in or steal it.
Tam Tam

The real thing

Post by Tam Tam »

I have a coke crate for the stella 8)
Attachments
serafina4.jpg
serafina4.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

I have a large prima roll bag (watch out - it fades)
but I also use this from time to time
http://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Crate ... B00161S7C0
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I have the roll bag off of this Motocentric set from Motorcycle-Superstore. They sell it separate from the set also, (here, but I think the value of the set is pretty great, if you have someone to split it with, or sell the big bag to anyway.
The bf uses the big bag for his bike (which has a higher rack) and I use the little one on the scoot. It's surprisingly large, easily fit my jacket (with armor), an extra pair of shoes (5" wedge-heeled sandals), gloves, change of clothes, 32.oz water bottle, and a small bag of snacks, with a little room to spare so I could buy stuff if I wanted to. I locked it up with a couple combination locks, but I still wouldn't leave anything valuable in it. It also looks pretty snazzy on there, and my cover fits over it no problem.

I'm also looking at getting a set of saddlebags in the near future, well, when the ones I want are back in stock anyway, to use for longer trips.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Im on the hunt for the "right" vintage bowling ball bag to use on my rack.

I'm a weirdo like that...
I also *may* be mounting a bowling trophy to my front fender to complete the theme...
And, no, I do not bowl.
amy

Post by amy »

black sunshine wrote:
Tocsik wrote:I like the ammo case as a rear rack or as "saddle bags".
that is AWESOME!!! i might have to look into that!!!!
Um, yeah. Its perfect for your Buddy and our group ride in-motion entertainment.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

xTomBx wrote:Im on the hunt for the "right" vintage bowling ball bag to use on my rack.

I also *may* be mounting a bowling trophy to my front fender to complete the theme...
And, no, I do not bowl.
That's what I plan to put in my front rack! I bought a large Von Dutch vinyl Bag off CL for $20. It looks like this one.

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Milkcrate
Installation instructions: http://www.cocktailsatfive.com/scoots/milkcrate/

Cheap, easily replaceable after the bottom cracks, can have fun with the name of the dairy. I took a Carnation crate and turned it into "No Carnation" which exactly one person got.

Syd

Post by Syd »

xTomBx wrote:Im on the hunt for the "right" vintage bowling ball bag to use on my rack.

And, no, I do not bowl.
Bowling bag's a great idea. Check Goodwill/Salvation Army/Deseret stores for a nicely tooled leather bag. I've seen them for pretty cheap.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I guess I am in the minority because I like my original Genuine topcase :P
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

I would be leary about using ammo cans. In a wreck they are going to become ripped up pieces of sheet metal waiting to find your legs.

Enough rafters have been chewed up by them I hesitated to even put them on my boat (where they were going to definitely stay in one piece).

Kyle
amy

Post by amy »

I just picked up the Prima Saddlebags and am wondering: do I have to worry about the effect of heat from the exhaust/motor on the bags? I only rode for about 15 minutes and they seemed pretty hot.

We are riding to the Blue vs. Grey rally (Atlanta to Nashville - about 6.5 hours) on Friday. Should I be concerned about the bags getting too hot on this ride? I'm only putting gear in the bags, but still...
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

On my Honda Elite 110 I used a chrome basket with a nice back rest.

un_designer

Post by un_designer »

^^ that's what i use on my buddy, too: a bicycle basket that looks really similar to the one in the picture above, except white instead of chrome. it's supercheap from pretty much anywhere. it's light. it doesn't contain anything in it so there's no reason for anyone to break in. and did i mention it's cheap? if someone wants to steal it that badly, they can have it :-D i've got another one in the closet lmao.

http://bit.ly/KI6v2f
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Milk crate for now...
Attachments
MB-pic.jpg
MB-pic.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Scooting is good for the soul....