Helmet Hook?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cykaca

Helmet Hook?

Post by Cykaca »

So in the flickr pages there are quite a few pics of Buddys with helmets hanging from the from of there seats. Is this an option? where would one get a hook for the front of the seat?
Drew

Post by Drew »

Pop open the seat and at the front there are two pegs. Put the D rings of your helmet over the pegs and close the seat. With the seat closed your helmet is locked on there. It's not an option, it's a feature. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Note: Some helmets don't have the right kind of strap for this to work. :(
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

It also can be a very tight fit with some helmets. There are little extension bars that can be purchased at most parts dealers online if your helmet D Ring won't stretch far enough.

The helmet peg/hook is a VERY useful thing for when you're out shopping and have a full pet carrier.
Cykaca

Post by Cykaca »

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't even looked.
Another nice "Buddy" extra!!!
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

it is also useful for hanging cloth shopping bags from. put handle of bag around both pegs, close seat, hope the cans of soda don't explode when you open em at home.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

Buddy "easter eggs"

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

Buddy`s have a few "easter eggs" like Macs do, helmet hooks> there is no sign but it`s still there, i`m still workin on chargin my iPhone,,
Cykaca

Iphone charging

Post by Cykaca »

I didn't have any problem charging mine with the dash plug. :)
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

I found this thread while doing a google search for buddy helmet hooks. I saw some helmets hooked on yesterday at a Mods v Rockers Rally and was fully prepared to purchase some sort of attachment....so I'm just commenting to bump this thread up in case someone else doesn't know about this!

Now that I know the pegs are there, it seems impossible that I ever missed them....but I guess it's not, had my Buddy since April and had no idea!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Many, many people don't realize they're there! Good to bump this every now and then. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Those pegs have many uses!

Here's another:
Sometimes if I don't feel like wearing my backpack on my back, I'll set it on the floorboard and hook the top handle over the pegs to hold it in place.

I've also hung my vinyl lunch bag from there so the contents aren't in the "oven-like" pet carrier right over the engine.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Tocsik wrote:Here's another:
Sometimes if I don't feel like wearing my backpack on my back, I'll set it on the floorboard and hook the top handle over the pegs to hold it in place
I might have to try this tomorrow, commuting to class!
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

Most Excellent! I too had no idea :D
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

My complaint about these are that it's hard to ride with the helmet hanging on the peg - it gets in the way of my leg.

Yeah - it's Buddy's way of saying "wear your helmet"

Other uses - I made a two hour ride with a rifle bag hanging from the that peg. It fit's perfectly on my buddy. But, you get some odd looks from other motorist. :shock:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Tocsik wrote:Those pegs have many uses!
I didn't think of some of those. We need a Denver Buddy gathering for sure :P.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Glad this was bumped! I had no idea what those were. I can attach my tote with my paperwork in it when I ride my scooter to my Saturday class. That makes life easier! :D :D :D
96 Decibel Freaks
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

Tocsik wrote:
I've also hung my vinyl lunch bag from there so the contents aren't in the "oven-like" pet carrier right over the engine.
Ooo that's a good idea! I've hooked bags to the front hook to keep my cold groceries out of the warm pet carrier, but I always hate doing that because it's not technically fastened down and I have the irrational fear that my groceries are going to fly out all over the road. Looping it around the under-seat pegs will make me feel a lot better about it!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I just noticed a couple weeks ago that there is a power output on the dash..............
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

jmazza wrote:It also can be a very tight fit with some helmets. There are little extension bars that can be purchased at most parts dealers online if your helmet D Ring won't stretch far enough.
My helmet's straps aren't long enough to reach the pegs. I made my own extension bar. I cut it out of a 4" electric box blank cover, like you get at Home Depot. I attached a PDF of the design that I cut using an angle grinder. I drilled a 7/16" hole, curved it about 90 degrees in a vise and I was all set.
Attachments
DRingExtension.PDF
(45.25 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I originally posted this thread on ModernVespa, regarding my MP3s, but I use them all the time for the Buddys as well.

On the other topic, sorry about the picture below...ever since I got those super reflective strips and put them on our scooters, I can't take a decent picture of the scooters inside the garage. :roll:

The red is indicating how the strap of the Scoot Logics bag goes up inside the pet carrier, around the helmet pegs, then out and wraps around the foot peg a time or two before clipping on to the other side of the bag. That may have been a bit overkill, but I had a little slop left in the strap.

(I already had stuff in the pet carrier, or I would have just put the bag in there...)
Attachments
Costco run 6-9-2012.jpg
Costco run 6-9-2012.jpg (174.5 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Iphone charging

Post by BuddyRaton »

rsrider wrote:I just noticed a couple weeks ago that there is a power output on the dash..............

I've been searching for that thing for years! Still can't find it! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:
rsrider wrote:I just noticed a couple weeks ago that there is a power output on the dash..............

Pretty easy to install one yourself! You'd probably do a better job than I did on my Vespa (and that one works fine; I just used weird connectors).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:

Pretty easy to install one yourself! You'd probably do a better job than I did on my Vespa (and that one works fine; I just used weird connectors).
Honestly I have never really missed not having one on the Buddy. On the Burgman I have used it quite often
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:Honestly I have never really missed not having one on the Buddy.
The first time you miss the 12V outlet is when you want a quick and simple way to hook up a battery tender :wink: .
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

BuddyRaton wrote:

i believe that only Buddies after 2008 have them . . . mine stopped working, i need to get the fuse for it :-p
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Honestly I have never really missed not having one on the Buddy.
The first time you miss the 12V outlet is when you want a quick and simple way to hook up a battery tender :wink: .

pffft....thats what the kick start is for! :mrgreen:

And really...can the battery be any easier to get to?
www.teamscootertrash.com

cdwise

Post by cdwise »

With an 05 Buddy 125 we don't have the power outlet but I put quick connect cables on the battery and fed the lead out the drain hole on the right side and taped it down. When we leave Houston for the summer I plug the tender in. Return unplug put the cap back on the connector and go.

I do use the power point on the Vespa and 500cc scoots but haven't had a need on the Buddy since we mostly ride it in town.
Collette

Post by Collette »

Here's another:
Sometimes if I don't feel like wearing my backpack on my back, I'll set it on the floorboard and hook the top handle over the pegs to hold it in place.
:shock: I wear a backpack on errand days and my back thanks you :D
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Collette wrote:

Here's another:
:shock: I wear a backpack on errand days and my back thanks you :D
Yeah, I use the pegs to hold my reusable shopping bag when I go grocery shopping. Works fantastically.
redcass

Post by redcass »

JettaKnight wrote:My complaint about these are that it's hard to ride with the helmet hanging on the peg - it gets in the way of my leg.

Other uses - I made a two hour ride with a rifle bag hanging from the that peg. It fit's perfectly on my buddy. But, you get some odd looks from other motorist. :shock:
Hey Jetta,

Do you have a photo of the rifle bag on the pegs? Sometimes I carry swords, and wonder if I could do the same with those.
RedCass
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

redcass wrote:
JettaKnight wrote:My complaint about these are that it's hard to ride with the helmet hanging on the peg - it gets in the way of my leg.

Hey Jetta,

Do you have a photo of the rifle bag on the pegs? Sometimes I carry swords, and wonder if I could do the same with those.
Swords should be carried strapped across your back, because that looks most bad ass!

I've actually ridden with someone who was a sword on his back like this. It was en route to a Royal Bastards SC knighting ceremony. Got a lot of looks!
redcass

Post by redcass »

ericalm wrote:
redcass wrote:

Hey Jetta,

Swords should be carried strapped across your back, because that looks most bad ass!

I've actually ridden with someone who was a sword on his back like this. It was en route to a Royal Bastards SC knighting ceremony. Got a lot of looks!
Heh, yeah, that's what I've done so far, in a carrying bag with a strap, but it's not very comfortable. :)
RedCass
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

redcass wrote:

Hey Jetta,

hello, are you single? hahaha!
redcass

Post by redcass »

black sunshine wrote:
redcass wrote:

Hey Jetta,

hello, are you single? hahaha!

HAHAHA nope, happily married for 14 years.
RedCass
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heh, one of my basses is a skinny electric upright with a floor stick that attaches to the back. When disassembled, I keep it in a 'takedown' shotgun bag. I suppose I could sling that on my back, but not sure how I'd carry it using the hook or pegs. :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I modified a guitar stand bottom with a flat flange mount so I could mount my carbine/rifle case to the side of the Vespa GTS when I wanted to go to the range. Actually worked out quite well: I attached some sticky tape foam padding strips to the rifle case where it contacted the body and used a single thick bungee to attach it to the rack/seat rail. The bottom "forks" of the guitar rack were attached to the bottom steelwork of the GTS cowling (note: You will need to notch the plastic trim along the edge of the cowling to get it to sit flush). Sat upright and close to the scooter body, and it worked like a charm!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>