registering a 125cc as a 50cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tyguy764

registering a 125cc as a 50cc

Post by tyguy764 »

registering a 125cc as a 50cc would a cop know do you think?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Depends on DMV, the cop, and your willingness to pay the price if you get caught.

If you get in an accident the attorney sharks are going to smell blood in the water and have a field day...your new nickname will be "chum"
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
easy

Post by easy »

its diferent from state to state but many states says anything over 35 mph needs tags. Btw why do that is scooter stolen and cant be registered just asking beccause anybody reading this is thinking that. If its because you lost your lic pls dont push your luck all it'll take is doing 45 mph and a leo thats doing there job. My stepdaughter pushed her luck she gets out of jail in abt 6 weeks not worth it
There are other reasons like able to park at bike racks.
what did you trade the day for?
ravenlore

Re: registering a 125cc as a 50cc

Post by ravenlore »

tyguy764 wrote:registering a 125cc as a 50cc would a cop know do you think?

Allow me to suggest that you won't get a favorable response to committing fraud in this manner. I'm truly sorry if that comes across as harsh, but it is a somewhat cold truth.
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

Well for one, you will most prob hit over the speed limitations of the 50cc and when a cop sees that if they are doing their jobs properly they will pull you.

In Mass you need to have a plate for anything that can go over 30, either limited use plate or full motorcycle if it can also go over 40

You clearly can so you need a full plate.

Whats the point in trying to break the law? It will (and if you do it I hope it does) only come back to bite you on the ass.

It is not just about the plate though. With the sticker program you do not require a license or insurance and you can park it almost anywhere. In reality whilst that saves you money, the end result could be far more costly.

I know in Boston they have random check points up and are pulling all scoots over to ensure that they are registered properly. Many Vespa 50cc bikes around my office have all ready fallen foul of them. I got pulled once and im on a 170cc. I am however legit so nothing to fear just 5 minutes out of my day talking to the officer about how cool a Buddy is :)
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Well, it is wrong, that would be a good reason not to do it. If you want the benefit of a 50cc then get a 50cc.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Your title lists the displacement, so you'd have to purposefully defraud the DMV to register it as a 50cc.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Why do you want to do this? Most of the reasons I can think of are trivial, or high risk for you. Is it because you can't get a license or motorcycle endorsement? Because you want to avoid buying required insurance? Because you want to avoid the cost of registration? Because parking rules are different for 50s? Whatever the reasons, probably not a good plan to announce your intention on a public website.
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

Im Sure OP was possibly hoping this was the type of place that would welcome such antics and demonstrate the ability to do it.

Im new here and very glad to see that this is not the case. MB rocks :)
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

One way to do it properly would be to purchase a 125cc Buddy, then swap in a real 50cc engine with all the restrictions. A state inspection would have to make the call on the VIN of the motor being different from the VIN of the scooter. The displacement will be on the scooters title, so you can't take it to the DMV for limited use licensing (required by many states already). If you get pulled over for going over 35 (most states), you will likely have your scooter impounded and pay some seriously heafty fines. I think last I checked here in MO was $2,500 with jailtime or community service for first time offenders (fines go up after the first occurance). Seriously though, is it worth it? Total cost to license a 125cc is super cheap... like $50 for the plate, maybe $100 for the personal property tax, and at most $80 a year for full coverage insurance. So 2,500 + jailtime for every instance you are caught or $230 to be legal about it. When you are caught once, it's not likely you will be able to get away with it a second time.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I'm hoping your 'curiosity' is more of a 'trolling' prank instead of a precursor to doing something rash...even though you are 1 person choosing to do something that is illegal and immoral, your actions in such a stunt reflect badly on the scooter community on a larger scale, especially to riders in your locale after law enforcement deal with a foolish person as yourself...it raises their attention level and makes other scooter riders a target... :shock:

in the end it is your decision and you rocking the karma boat, so good luck...just don't expect others to throw you a life raft when the boat capsizes! :roll:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

You post sets off all sorts of alarm bells for a first post.

Did you steal a scooter?

Did you just buy a stolen scooter?

Did you lose your license?

Are you under age?

No matter what any of your answers to the above are, you are heading down a path in life that will provide you with nothing but misery. I suggest trying to live like the better half. It will do you good in addition to being the right thing to do. Do the right thing.
amy

Post by amy »

k1dude wrote:You post sets off all sorts of alarm bells for a first post.

Did you steal a scooter?

Are you under age?

No matter what any of your answers to the above are, you are heading down a path in life that will provide you with nothing but misery. I suggest trying to live like the better half. It will do you good in addition to being the right thing to do. Do the right thing.
+1
phatch

Post by phatch »

Yeah, this response is reduntant:

Will the cop know? Maybe not, if you're not going over 30 mph. That'd be a lame way to live, though :wink:
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

A couple of months ago I was scooting along a small town thoroughfare when I heard a toot behind me and to the left. A college-age looking kid with a backpack on a Buddy 50 called out that he'd like to trade for my 125. We exchanged a few pleasantries at a light -- he even pulled over into my lane so we could chat -- and he suggested somewhat jokingly that I should knock the "1" off my badges and try to pass it off as less than 50 cc. I of course just laughed. Nice guy and we raved about Genuine more than anything else.

But I don't know what the motivations are for these lines of thought -- avoiding insurance costs, saving the registration costs, driver unable to get a license? Personally I haven't hesitated to register/insure/report my scoots, but I almost get the feeling it's like considering questionable tax deductions or something like that -- just that feeling of whether or not to bend the rules. For some reason I think it's one of those things a lot of people feel okay about fudging -- probably because most of us try to minimize our taxes and fees as much as possible ?? .
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

^ Parking too. I believe I've read on these forums that in some states, 50cc's can legally park by bike racks?

So I suppose the potential benefits of the registration/taxes and fees/insurance/parking ability of a 50cc bothers people who couldn't be bothered to stick to 50cc speeds. They want all the perks of a smaller scooter and legal standing, but applied to a faster/stronger scooter...
chas

Post by chas »

So I guess what everybody is saying is:
Attachments
129173751305967400.jpg
129173751305967400.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

Did you steal a scooter?

Are you under age?
Does it have to be just one? I assumed he was underage, lost his license, stole a scoot, and traded it for another scoot and a bag of jenkem.

Kyle
Syd

Post by Syd »

It also looks like TyGuy didn't like the answers he was getting, so he has taken his keyboard and gone home.

ByTyGuy.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Wiggins wrote:

Did you steal a scooter?

Are you under age?
Does it have to be just one? I assumed he was underage, lost his license, stole a scoot, and traded it for another scoot and a bag of jenkem.

Kyle
Doh! I didn't think of that. I should add 'All of the above'.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Don't you love these discussions we have among ourselves while the OP, having dropped his bomb, disappears into the sunset :wink: .
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Dooglas wrote:Don't you love these discussions we have among ourselves while the OP, having dropped his bomb, disappears into the sunset :wink: .
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
96 Decibel Freaks
tyguy764

Post by tyguy764 »

the reason behind my story is because i bought a scooter with no title but i got it registered and everything is all set now
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

A cop would know, yes.
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

tyguy764 wrote:the reason behind my story is because i bought a scooter with no title but i got it registered and everything is all set now

Scooter with no title...well, if you've successfully gotten it legally registered without falsifying anything then you should count youirself lucky. Unless you know the seller very well you could easily have bought yourself a stolen scoot.
tyguy764

Post by tyguy764 »

its not stolen it has the keys
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

tyguy764 wrote:its not stolen it has the keys
Wow it has the keys. Must be legit then.

So did you register it as a 125 and stay legal or a 50 as your thread suggests?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tyguy764 wrote:the reason behind my story is because i bought a scooter with no title but i got it registered and everything is all set now
I guess I am still confused about how registering the scooter as a 50 instead of a 125 would deal with the problem of a missing title. Sounds like you went through the lost title process with DMV and got it sorted out. Happy ending :wink: .

(By the way, It is useful to include info on your location and scooter in your profile. That way others can chime in on questions you post with information specific to your area. DMV rules, for example, vary greatly from state to state)
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Dooglas wrote:
I guess I am still confused about how registering the scooter as a 50 instead of a 125 would deal with the problem of a missing title. Sounds like you went through the lost title process with DMV and got it sorted out.
Well, I hope that's how it ended. Because as uklemond implied, merely having keys does not equal legality/legitimacy.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Well, I do not know where you are from, because it does not say, but, here in MO you do not need to register below 50cc, and if you just did not have the cash, but needed the ride; understand I would. Sometimes times are tough. Though there are many reasons why when I had my 50cc hog, even though I never bothered to register it, because it did not need it, insured. If it got stolen it would help to replace the bike I could hardly afford in the first place, I did not have insurance on my bike that was stolen in NC so it was lost forever. The other reason would be if I, yes I, hit someone.

Now there are many legit ways someone can get a scooter, or any other small vehicle without a title. I know many people that have bought such things and never gave the title an extra thought, put it in a drawer and forgot about it, or on a stuck of junk mail and tossed it away. Granted most of these people lived in the foothills on NC and did not ride them like I rode mine, for primary transportation.
Syd

Post by Syd »

tyguy764 wrote:its not stolen it has the keys
This may just become my new sig line.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dooglas wrote:
I guess I am still confused about how registering the scooter as a 50 instead of a 125 would deal with the problem of a missing title.
My impression was that because he didn't have the title, he figured it would be equally easy - but cheaper - to retitle it and register it as a 50.
Mutt the Hoople

I don't want to be overly naive here, nor do I want to offend anyone but perhaps we are being a litte hard on the new guy here. I am all about obeying the law and don't like cheaters, but maybe he really just did not know and was asking an innocent question. I know there have been some members here who have had their scooters stolen, which is horrible and may a big heaping dose of karma come upon the perps. But I had a car forever.. Someone wanted to buy it and after four moves and a couple of chaotic years I had a heck of a time finding the title. I did find it, but I can see how easy it would be to lose one. I know it looks bad if someone asks if a 150 or 125 could be registered as a 50 but maybe the DMV gave him a hard time without giving him any useful info and he just thought he could get it registered and deal with the rest later when he had better information. It took me three trips to the DMV to get it done and that was with all the correct information. They just don't deal with that many scooters for one thing, and for another thing they'd rather get snotty with you and make you come back rather than admit they are wrong.

So, if I'm wrong for giving the new person the benifit of the doubt you can let me have it and I'll take my lumps. I've been wrong before. Not too Terribly often though. I'd just hate to be shitty to someone who turned out to be really nice. And no, I don't want to buy anyone's bridge or swampland.
96 Decibel Freaks
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:I don't want to be overly naive here, nor do I want to offend anyone but perhaps we are being a litte hard on the new guy here. I am all about obeying the law and don't like cheaters, but maybe he really just did not know and was asking an innocent question. I know there have been some members here who have had their scooters stolen, which is horrible and may a big heaping dose of karma come upon the perps. But I had a car forever.. Someone wanted to buy it and after four moves and a couple of chaotic years I had a heck of a time finding the title. I did find it, but I can see how easy it would be to lose one. I know it looks bad if someone asks if a 150 or 125 could be registered as a 50 but maybe the DMV gave him a hard time without giving him any useful info and he just thought he could get it registered and deal with the rest later when he had better information. It took me three trips to the DMV to get it done and that was with all the correct information. They just don't deal with that many scooters for one thing, and for another thing they'd rather get snotty with you and make you come back rather than admit they are wrong.

So, if I'm wrong for giving the new person the benifit of the doubt you can let me have it and I'll take my lumps. I've been wrong before. Not too Terribly often though. I'd just hate to be shitty to someone who turned out to be really nice. And no, I don't want to buy anyone's bridge or swampland.
I'd agree with you except for the Original Post:
The OP isn't asking about problems with the DMV, he's asking about potential problems with the police. He's asking for permission to sidestep the law (sidestep instead of break is as much leeway as I'll give without any other info coming from a first poster).

You make a valid point. I won't argue on that.
96 Decibel Freaks
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Syd wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:I'd agree with you except for the Original Post:
The OP isn't asking about problems with the DMV, he's asking about potential problems with the police. He's asking for permission to sidestep the law (sidestep instead of break is as much leeway as I'll give without any other info coming from a first poster).

Also...OP is not being terribly forthcoming in explaining their circumstances...other than there are keys involved. If the original question had asked something like "how big a PITA is it to get a replacement title and where do i even start?"

OP just didn't sound like a newbie lost in the process.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ravenlore wrote:Also...OP is not being terribly forthcoming in explaining their circumstances...other than there are keys involved. If the original question had asked something like "how big a PITA is it to get a replacement title and where do i even start?"

OP just didn't sound like a newbie lost in the process.
Yes, the few posts by the OP are abrupt and cryptic. You'd think if the situation were on the up-and-up, they'd be far more informative. The OP would understand our concerns and address our suspicions in a more forthcoming manner. But the fact is, the original inquiry was still an attempt to circumvent the law.
Mutt the Hoople

All good points. I suppose if the OP actually was on the up and up he/she would do more to clarify themselves. Plus, the poster does. Of have their locale on their info .... So yes. The suspicion seems pretty justified.

I know I sound like an idiot, but this is such a nice board, with members who are friendly and helpful... Some MBs are just not. It's just one of the things I really like about this site. I felt very put off on a local scooter MB as they say everyone is welcome but the. They are condescending if you dont have a maxi-scooter. Everyone has their opinion and preferences... But their attitude about 50cc scooters is get a bigger scooter. Plus it's about the only local scooter club. Maybe they are nice enough.... but I'll. Ever know as I don't hang around where I don't feel welcome, and since it was a bit snarky after about 5 or 6 posts... Life of too short to figure it out. I see plenty of 50ccs and non-Maxi scoots around. Somehow I think we are all having fun. Anyway, I would not want to make anyone feel the way I felt. But if someone is choosing to do something wrong that they know is wrong, they won't get any welcome or sympathy from me.
96 Decibel Freaks
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Allow me to give some input. I had a Yamaha Zuma that was modded to the max. I tried to register it as a motorcycle, opposite of what your trying. DMV left it as a moped and I got stopped one night going over 35mph (doing 45 in a 45 zone). Cops jumps out all excited and ask for my M class drivers license. State inspection and proof of insurance. I had all 3. I told him to give me the ticket and I'll fight it in court but he let me go. I eventually got it (Zuma) changed to a motorcycle.

Just get your M class and go legal. Insurance will be cheap.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

You asking our opinion of lying and breaking the law?

Put on you big people pants and do the right thing.

uklemond wrote:Wow it has the keys. Must be legit then.
/thread. We found a winner.

...and we found a loser:
thisforumisforpussies125 wrote:yo i just had to make this quick thro away acct to say you all sound like the most government ass-kissing, bootlicking, scared to live life ass, fruitcake do good-er, boyscout pickle puffin, PUSSIES on the face of the earth. die slowly. THIS FORUM SUCKS :clown: :rofl: :nerd:
YEAH! THIS! :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Ah, this is an 8 year old thread. Most of those who posted the original messages are no longer around. And it was brought back to life by an obvious troll.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

necrothread :wtf:

i belong to a few fb scooter groups where this thread subject is rampant...buy a junk chinese 50cc, register it as a moped, only need a drivers permit/license and no insurance...swap/build out the engine so it goes faster

here the designations in MA...

moped = <30mph and <50cc
(register, moped plate, can park on sidewalk, can ride on drivers permit)

limited use vehicle = >30mph but <40mph and <50cc
(register, LUV plate, need title, be inspected, be insured, can't park on sidewalk, have drivers license)

motorcycle = >40mph or >50cc
(register, motorcycle plate, need title, be inspected, be insured, can't park on sidewalk, have motorcycle license)
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

This topic ran so long that it attracted its very own spammer. Wow!

Locked!!!