Riding Music?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Riding Music?

Post by JHScoot »

What do you listen to while riding? For me it's become different from what I would listen to when not riding. But curiously it has carried over from riding, because it reminds me of riding. So I am sitting here watching The Smashing Pumpkins because I ride with them. Otherwise I haven't thought of them in years.

Other music I ride with I wasn't giving much if any time before: Foo Fighters, Sex Pistols, Van Halen (wtf VH), The Cars, David Bowie, Everclear ...and the list goes on.

But for some reason on the bike those are in very heavy rotation. No specific album, just random cuts. Chosen by me not by random, however.

So, rediscovering and discovering music old and new while you ride. What are you listening to these days, for those that listen? And why? Any particular favorites or recommendations?

I can't say why, but The Best Of The Foo Fighters never sounded so good. :clap:
Last edited by JHScoot on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Currently:
Ian Hunter: "All American Alien Boy", "Rant", "YUIOrta", and "Shrunken Heads"

Bowie: "Hunky Dory", "Ziggy Stardust" "Young Americans"

Roxy Music: "Siren"

Queen: "Queen 1" "Jazz"

Velvet Underground with Nico

Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks", "Moondance"
The Rolling Stones "Between the Buttons" "Black and Blue" "Flowers" "Sticky Fingers"

Alejandro Escovedo "Street Songs of Love"
The Clash "London Calling" "Sandanista"
Desmond Dekker "Greatest Hits"
Who "Sell Out"
Mott the Hoople "Brain Capers" "The Hoople"
Beatles VI, "Revolver"
And various 60s garage music. Love The Monks and The Electric Prunes.

That's what is currently on the iPod along with a few others.
96 Decibel Freaks
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

On the rare occasion that I do listen to music, it's mostly trance or down tempo. Not many people really enjoy that kind of music though.

Sphongle, Gabriel & Dresden, Moby, etc.

What I like to call modern day classical.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My iPod has been strangled since my external drive with my tunes died (I've yet to try to resurrect it) and I got Spotify. This means when I ride, unless I want to run down my iPhone, I have a bunch of stuff I haven't updated in quite some time.

Invariably, there's a ton of Yo La Tengo because they have a billion recordings and I put them all on the playlist at some point.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

I listen to a mix of: Billy Joel, Nat King Cole, Meat Loaf, Van Hallen, Huey Lewis, Mel Torme, Ozzie, Garth Brooks, Metallica, Beatles, Gary Moore, and some others.
Mutt the Hoople

Capt_Don wrote:I listen to a mix of: Billy Joel, Nat King Cole, Meat Loaf, Van Hallen, Huey Lewis, Mel Torme, Ozzie, Garth Brooks, Metallica, Beatles, Gary Moore, and some others.
I LOVE Nat King Cole and Mel Torme'... I have a great boxed set of King Cole Trio recordings. I've been on a Les Paul kick lately too.
96 Decibel Freaks
chas

Post by chas »

Iron & Wine "Creek Drank The Cradle"
Radical Face "Ghost"
Sigur Ros "Takk"
The Avett Brothers "Emotionalism"
Spoon "Gimme Fiction"

Those have been my go-to's as of late but the list changes a lot. Sometimes I like to listen to "The Weight" by The Band just so I can feel like I am making a one man miniature version of that scene from Easy Rider.

EDIT: Anything Smiths/Morrissey is ALWAYS good riding music as well. Can't believe I forgot to mention that initially.
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

I haven't gotten comfortable enough to listen to music on the scoot, but when I ride my bike I like Pandora's "Cold Play" station. It's like a private spin class :P
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I like techno/house and lounge music when riding. DEF (Disco Electric Funk) Podcast by F* Monday. I subscribed to it a few years ago, have several episodes downloaded. Each is betwen 1 and 1 1/2 hrs, so it keeps looping. The different tracks blend together for a continuous and smooth transition, so no need to fiddle with the buttons. I haven't searched for any new podcasts since this still satisfies.

For equipment, I use the Motocomm "thumper" helmet speakers. For long rides, I plug in a Fiio E5 amplifier (the size of a new ipod nano), and it works great with silicone earplugs to drown out wind noise. And I also sometimes use the Monster iPod remote to shuffle tracks. Mounts right to the headset. Whole setup less than $60. Beats earbuds mashing my ears up on a long ride.
Keys

Post by Keys »

You don't want to hear that cage moving up beside you, our that kid bouncing his ball between cars or that firetruck two blocks away that's your business...just don't whine on a forum that you got taken by surprise, lost the use of your scooter and are currently recuperating. Distraction is distraction, folks, and that includes music. I'm a professional musician and I refuse to listen to music when I ride because 43 of riding experience has taught me that if I don't want road-rash (or worse), I don't want to be distracted. You can preach ATGATT to me all day, but the truth is, driving while distracted is WAY more dangerous than riding without gear.

Sorry for the preaching, but I actually care about all of you, and it had to be said.
"Life without music would Bb"
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

thanks bootscootn for the info on the helmet speakers. I've been wondering about them as my ears don't like getting my buds smashed in there. Just not comfortable.
And, I agree with you too Keys, however, I don't ever have mine loud enough that it blocks out street noises or my own scooter sounds or little kids playing. There are times when I cannot hear the music too well, but it is nice to have it playing as it does help to keep me more alert when I'm feeling sleepy -- which is terrible while driving. I have full conversations with people though with my helmet on and my music playing. So, the low volume really doesn't block too much ambient noise.
For me, its Billy Joel, Elton, Tina Turner, Metallica, Zombie, NIN, a wide variety really. But, has to be something with a beat because that is usually what I hear that keeps me familiar with where I am in the song since I cannot hear it too well. . .
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I don't listen to music while riding. i get a little too into music and figure it would be dangerous for me.
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

Aguacate wrote:I haven't gotten comfortable enough to listen to music on the scoot
+1

Need a few more months of riding.
HepCat

Post by HepCat »

I usually don't listen to music while riding, but when i do *spoken like The Most Interesting Man In The World* I have about 53 stations on Pandora and set it to random, so I end up hearing everything from Miles Davis to Cannibal Corpse .
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

skully93 wrote:I don't listen to music while riding. i get a little too into music and figure it would be dangerous for me.
this.
- Ally
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

It's not listened to at a volume which washes out other sounds.

Ever hear of people wearing earplugs while riding? Widely accepted, and perfectly acceptable. My helmet even has little earplug holders stitched in from the factory.

In a FF helmet with earplugs you can hear next to nothing on the road. With a FF helmet and earbuds playing music at a reasonable volume you can hear everything.

For those who listen, ride and enjoy and thanks for the posts.
Riding is riding
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

JHScoot wrote:It's not listened to at a volume which washes out other sounds.

Ever hear of people wearing earplugs while riding? Widely accepted, and perfectly acceptable. My helmet even has little earplug holders stitched in from the factory.

In a FF helmet with earplugs you can hear next to nothing on the road. With a FF helmet and earbuds playing music at a reasonable volume you can hear everything.

I am still trying to figure out how to keep my earbuds in when putting on my FF helmet. :oops:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Maximus53 wrote:
JHScoot wrote:It's not listened to at a volume which washes out other sounds.

I am still trying to figure out how to keep my earbuds in when putting on my FF helmet. :oops:
It's a bit tricky. And depending on the style of bud and helmet, to varying degree.

It helps if the ear area of the helmet has generous cut outs. I know it doesn't help with slipping the helmet on, but once over the upper ear area it does help imo. Many makers are now leaving enough room and designing specifically for bluetooth earpieces, realizing people want to wear them while riding.

But yes, getting a properly fitted helmet on the head can be challenge enough much less with small earbuds sticking out of our heads. I just pull the bottom part of the helmet wide as I can, oft times by the straps. This does next to nothing but does give me just the space i need to make it easier going down. I don't have to push quite as hard, so the 'buds are likely to go undisturbed. My ear cut outs are big, too. Or w/e they are called? Ear holes?
Riding is riding
Mutt the Hoople

I actually hear better with my earbuds in than without. But I keep the tunes on my iPod at a really low volume, plus the music I have downloaded is stuff that I love but know by rote. But I have a Fulmer Modus modular helmet and it is REALLY noisy. I think I hear things that I don't hear. And I don't have any tolerance for loud music directly in my ears so its always at low volume. But I like it as for me it cuts down on the city noise and helmet noise so I can sirens... (and I know I hear them as I am usually the first to pull over). Wish I could find out something to cancell out the annoying subwoofers... Besides a bazooka to the trunks of certain cars.
96 Decibel Freaks
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'm in favor of a water balloon to the stereo system.
"Life without music would Bb"
chas

Post by chas »

Keys has a valid point (as others have pointed out as well). It is definitely important to keep your music at low enough of a volume that you can still be aware of what is going on around you. It's definitely doable though. This is one of those rare cases where one can have their cake and eat it too.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Most def doable. And I do appreciate the posts from some concerned with safety. But this really is ok to do. Without my buds my exhaust, wind noise, road noise...and all that is too present. Listening to music at a reasonable volume covers some of that. Traffic, horns, sirens, etc, remain the same. And certainly more audible then with earplugs in. Which I used to wear when I first started riding.

It adds greatly to my joy of riding, being a music lover. No matter my mood I never ride without music. I am usually in a fair mood, however. So it's all good :)
Riding is riding
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i'm actually a LOT more alert when i'm riding with music, specifically because i don't want anyone saying "well if he hadn't been blasting that MUSIC . . ."

here's my "Riding!" playlist (let's see if this works . . .)

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify: ... gcm72Zkgm3" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

YES!!! SUCCESS!!!

so that's one the playlists i listen to. totally agree with the Smiths/Morrissey comment above, and i also love listening to goth/industrial music and metal. drum and bass and house mixes are awesome too. shoot, i just love music!
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

Keys wrote:I'm in favor of a water balloon to the stereo system.
mine is waterproof :twisted:
amy

Post by amy »

I like the Sister Christian.
BootScootin'FireFighter

chas wrote:Keys has a valid point (as others have pointed out as well). It is definitely important to keep your music at low enough of a volume that you can still be aware of what is going on around you. It's definitely doable though. This is one of those rare cases where one can have their cake and eat it too.
What he said, thank you Chas. I'll definitely agree that a Pantera concert inside your helmet while lane splitting through city traffic is not the smartest thing to do. If you're relying on your ears to hear a car creeping up beside you or a fire engine barelling down behind you, then obviously you're not using our eyes enough. Hazard recognition should be 90% visual, and 10% audible. Always be scanning your mirrors and peripherals, as well as cross roads, parking lot exits, and blind driveways.
JHScoot wrote:What do you listen to while riding?
The OP wasn't asking about everyone's philosophy about why they do or don't condone listening to music when they ride, so let's put a plug on all the preaching around here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't think it's necessary to rehash the debate regarding whether it's wise or safe to ride with music every time it comes up. (Or maybe it is, because we seem to. Same thing happens every time lane splitting comes up. And open face helmets. It's thread Groundhog Day!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
JHScoot wrote:What do you listen to while riding?
The OP wasn't asking about everyone's philosophy about why they do or don't condone listening to music when they ride, so let's put a plug on all the preaching around here.
Completely agree! :D

I rarely listen to music because I often can't hear it over the sound of the scooter (on long trips). But on shorter trips I enjoy the occasional tune or two. A quick look at the top of the playlist (it's all sorts of random) gives me:

Shout Out Louds, Dirty Projectors, Band Of Horses, The Dodos, {{{Sunset}}}, Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers, Bombay Bicycle Club, Alec Ounsworth, The Mountain Goats, Lightspeed Champion, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, The Dutchess & The Duke, and many more great things.

Music is amazing!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Of course "Born to be Wild" has to be on the playlist. :)

I have so many songs on the iPod and iPhone, that I usually just set them on shuffle (or whatever the random thing is) and let it go. In general that would mean lots of classic rock, jazz, blues and every now and then a country tune or classical piece finds their way in.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Not cheap by any standard but company V-Moda has come out with an add on called VAMP for the iPhone.Now you can listen to audiophile quality sound on your iPhone.

Take a look: http://www.gizmag.com/v-moda-vamp/22924/
Aerosmith, None Other.
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

BuddyLicious wrote:Not cheap by any standard but company V-Moda has come out with an add on called VAMP for the iPhone.Now you can listen to audiophile quality sound on your iPhone.

I wonder how many people will buy this to listen to mp3's... :fp:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Maximus53 wrote:
BuddyLicious wrote:Not cheap by any standard but company V-Moda has come out with an add on called VAMP for the iPhone.Now you can listen to audiophile quality sound on your iPhone.

I wonder how many people will buy this to listen to mp3's... :fp:
This is why I insist that if I'm ever forced to buy MP3's from people like Apple, I will only pay 10 cents a song. Until then, I won't buy MP3's. Most people don't realize that MP3 is the worst thing to happen to audio, when over 90 PERCENT of the music data is removed to compress the file. One 4 minute song should be just over 40MB in WAV format at 16-bit resolution/44.1K sampling rate. You seriously think you'll get the entire, clear signal in only 4 MB? Almost as big a scam as those "Beats By Dre" disposable junkers that pass themselves off as "pro grade" headphones.

*edit*
Yes, I do have MP3's on my phone, but they are ripped from the original media. It's a lousy solution but it's not always practical to lug a laptop around everywhere I ride (and with general motorbike noise, it's not like it's a premium music environment. It's just background noise at that point) I do wish there were a common market solution to get full-grade WAV/comparable audio purchased but right now, online retailers are fine ripping consumers off and consumers are fine getting inferior product.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

The Wind :D
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I have nothing against people who listen to music while riding, I just perfer the sounds of the engine and wind while riding.

Plus I'd be so focus on riding that I wouldn't even be paying attention to the music.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I just hum along to the voices in my head while scooting.... :lol:

But seriously, my commute is so short it's really not worth the trouble for me to plug in, turn on, and tune out.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's a recent playlist I did for a road trip.
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify: ... D0kSkM2S61" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
neotrotsky wrote:This is why I insist that if I'm ever forced to buy MP3's from people like Apple, I will only pay 10 cents a song.
iTunes Store downloads are not MP3s. They're DRM-free AACs sampled at 256k/s. No, it's not "CD-quality" sound but it's better than MP3 at any sampling rate thanks to better compression, etc.

Audiophiles intent on highest fidelity sound should continue to seek out and use the most expensive, least portable, solutions available. (That only sounds like sarcasm.) Most of us have decided to exchange a degree of sound quality for convenience and portability.

There's really no point in having such high quality sound piped into your helmet to compete with its internal acoustics, wind noise, etc.
chas

Post by chas »

ericalm wrote:Here's a recent playlist I did for a road trip.
neotrotsky wrote:This is why I insist that if I'm ever forced to buy MP3's from people like Apple, I will only pay 10 cents a song.
iTunes Store downloads are not MP3s. They're DRM-free AACs sampled at 256k/s. No, it's not "CD-quality" sound but it's better than MP3 at any sampling rate thanks to better compression, etc.

Audiophiles intent on highest fidelity sound should continue to seek out and use the most expensive, least portable, solutions available. (That only sounds like sarcasm.) Most of us have decided to exchange a degree of sound quality for convenience and portability.

There's really no point in having such high quality sound piped into your helmet to compete with its internal acoustics, wind noise, etc.
Bloodbuzz Ohio is a fantastic riding song. Absolutely love The National. Birdy does a cool piano cover of Terrible Love, btw.
BootScootin'FireFighter

ah hell, I'll just throw it all out there... incase anyone FORGOT this jingle!

I may not be "listening" to it, but it's one that will never get out of my head.

*FYI... if anyone actually WANTS this song converted to MP4, copy the link and paste it in the box at http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ and it's yours to cherish!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AJSI0FDVZxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Just when I had _almost_ forgotten. Curse you, BSFF!!!! :cry: :D :lol:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I'm not against listening to music, or radio, while riding. It is nearly universal in cars - can you believe it, they even sell the damn things with stereo systems installed as standard equipment!

But you have a good reason to take more care when riding than when caging. I suggest forgetting stereo. Enjoy the magic of monophonic musical majesty in just one ear. Leave the other ear - your good ear - free to hear the environment around you.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

currently in rotation on my ipod is Jack White, Aretha Franklin, Jethro Tull, Patti Smith, Patti Labelle, Amy Winehouse, Pink Floyd , Lou Reed and Mary J Blige.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I often sing while I ride, and the songs vary from whatever is stuck in my head from the radio to Christmas carols. I had that Of Monsters and Men song Little Talks stuck in my head all the way from Canton to Columbus, about 2 1/2 hours of riding, so I belted it out at every opportunity.
Mutt the Hoople

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:ah hell, I'll just throw it all out there... incase anyone FORGOT this jingle!

I may not be "listening" to it, but it's one that will never get out of my head.

*FYI... if anyone actually WANTS this song converted to MP4, copy the link and paste it in the box at http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ and it's yours to cherish!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AJSI0FDVZxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1YABGda ... ata_player

Touché
96 Decibel Freaks
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

[quote="BootScootin'FireFighter"]ah hell, I'll just throw it all out there... incase anyone FORGOT this jingle!

quote]

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
not again!!!!! it took a month to get it out of my head the first time i heard it,
chas

Post by chas »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:ah hell, I'll just throw it all out there... incase anyone FORGOT this jingle!

I refuse to believe that a loving God would let that happen...
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

So there I was riding up beautiful mountain road just enoying the scenic view, waving at other motorcycles just enjoying life....then...........that song enter my thoughts.

.....it's back in my HEAD! :cry: :cry: :cry:
theflash784

Riding music

Post by theflash784 »

Can't say much for the song or the video, other than I don't think my dancing is quite as bad as theirs but the scooter is sharp looking.
Mutt the Hoople

Was that from a Lena Wertmuller film? Where's Giancarlo Gianini? I think I have been irreversibly traumatized. Mommmmmmmy!!!!!!
96 Decibel Freaks
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

cycle sounds is an awesome setup for motorcycles or scooters if you want music done right. They have external amps, as well water proof, shockproof ect.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Triage

Re: Riding Music?

Post by Triage »

JHScoot wrote:What do you listen to while riding? For me it's become different from what I would listen to when not riding. But curiously it has carried over from riding, because it reminds me of riding. So I am sitting here watching The Smashing Pumpkins because I ride with them. Otherwise I haven't thought of them in years.

Other music I ride with I wasn't giving much if any time before: Foo Fighters, Sex Pistols, Van Halen (wtf VH), The Cars, David Bowie, Everclear ...and the list goes on.

But for some reason on the bike those are in very heavy rotation. No specific album, just random cuts. Chosen
car dvd players by me not by random, however.

So, rediscovering and discovering music old and new while you ride. What are you listening to these days, for those that listen? And why? Any particular favorites or recommendations?

I can't say why, but The Best Of The Foo Fighters never sounded so good. :clap:
I love to listen popular music of that time. I do have good collection of old and new songs, so my journey is fun for me.