Stop me before I upgrade again!!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CAPE COD PSYCHO

Stop me before I upgrade again!!!!

Post by CAPE COD PSYCHO »

Ok now I'm starting to think I'm an upgrade addict! I've done the ncy trans upgrade, Dr pulley sliders, modded the air box, jetted the carb, racing CDI and coil, voodoo combo adapter, universal blinker module, led bulbs all over, PIAA headlight bulb, rear rack, chrome license plate frame, skull plate screws, and ncy decals! I can't stop! Anyone have any other mods they can recommend other than big bore kit or Uni filter? Let me know. Thanks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

forward facing machine guns and rear missiles!
batgirl101

Re: Stop me before I upgrade again!!!!

Post by batgirl101 »

CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:Ok now I'm starting to think I'm an upgrade addict! I've done the ncy trans upgrade, Dr pulley sliders, modded the air box, jetted the carb, racing CDI and coil, voodoo combo adapter, universal blinker module, led bulbs all over, PIAA headlight bulb, rear rack, chrome license plate frame, skull plate screws, and ncy decals! I can't stop! Anyone have any other mods they can recommend other than big bore kit or Uni filter? Let me know. Thanks
oh for gosh sakes--pictures, hurry! :)
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Have you done this mod yet?
Attachments
Buddy Mod.jpg
Buddy Mod.jpg (196.98 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Do the odometer mod. Ride and see how high you can get the numbers to go.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:Anyone have any other mods they can recommend other than big bore kit or Uni filter?
Sticky tires and riding skillz. :twisted:
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Since you have done mechanical how about some cosmetic mods. Seat, repaint, stickers/logo's, and of course the ultimate horn mod
Attachments
314zZf0BP-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
314zZf0BP-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

If you would like a little extra comfort, I found the Cheeky Seats cover I got for my 125 fit the Psycho lopro seat just fine, and they have an amazing array of readymade covers for the Buddy.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Laser Cannons! R
hal888

Post by hal888 »

The first stage of recovery is realizing there is a problem....
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

The mod bug has struck again! :P
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

custom pin stripping, better tires, powder coated rims, yoshi slip on or supertrap, air horn?, custom seat and covering, bar end mirrors, high viz stripping, etc.
CAPE COD PSYCHO

lol! thanks for the posts. I think bar end mirrors and cheakyseats cover is next on the list. I am happy with the performance aspect for now. After the warranty is up I will throw a uni filter and 30mm carb on it too!
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

do it. you live in the cape, got to have money to live down there... ( grew up in hanover on the south shore ).

got to die sometime & can't take it with you. have fun now...

thanx
david
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
Scooter Attitude For Me...
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

how about a custom cut-down windscreen in the Silhouette of Hitchcock?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:lol! thanks for the posts. I think bar end mirrors and cheakyseats cover is next on the list. I am happy with the performance aspect for now. After the warranty is up I will throw a uni filter and 30mm carb on it too!
I hate to tell you, but with all the mods you've done (ncy trans upgrade, modded the air box, jetted the carb, racing CDI and coil), it think your warranty is up as far as the engine and trans goes.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

You've done all of these upgrades, but haven't even touched the suspension or the brakes?!?! Speed is only as good as being able to STOP at that speed, and suspension is the backbone of performance on any machine. There's plenty of ways to keep going to find the best way to keep those tires on the ground and responsive.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Gorilla alarm, and heated grips (direct off your battery). Only takes 20 minutes or so on the Battery tender after an hour or so of using the heated grips. (Well, I'm basing this off of 30 minutes to work and 30 home... :D )
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

neotrotsky wrote:You've done all of these upgrades, but haven't even touched the suspension or the brakes?!?! Speed is only as good as being able to STOP at that speed, and suspension is the backbone of performance on any machine. There's plenty of ways to keep going to find the best way to keep those tires on the ground and responsive.
A thousand times this, and in the same vein, get some real tires. Heidenau rules.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lokky wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:You've done all of these upgrades, but haven't even touched the suspension or the brakes?!?! Speed is only as good as being able to STOP at that speed, and suspension is the backbone of performance on any machine. There's plenty of ways to keep going to find the best way to keep those tires on the ground and responsive.
A thousand times this, and in the same vein, get some real tires. Heidenau rules.
He has the Psycho Buddy. It comes with the NCY Billet Racing Fork, NCY Adjustable Preload/Dampening Shock, and the NYC Big Brake Kit.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Check out the thread by batgirl101. She did some excellent mods to her rear view mirrors and brake handles. She posted a link above with the mirrors, but not the handles.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

jrsjr wrote:
CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:Anyone have any other mods they can recommend other than big bore kit or Uni filter?
Sticky tires and riding skillz. :twisted:
Seconded. Take the MSF Basic Rider Course, or if you've already done that, the Experienced Rider Course.
Then you'll have a proper appreciation for the good tires. :)

-Rusty
Vespa LXS150
4T Stella maybe?
CAPE COD PSYCHO

If i had a warranty issue I would just put the stock stuff back on and bring it to the dealer and say "duuhhhhh, it's busted" But I doubt I will have that problem. As far as tires go, I looked for those Hindinberg or whatever tires, I couldn't really find them, plus I already have some S1's waiting to go as soon as the stock ones are toast.

I am very interested in those heidleburg or whatever tires. Why are they much better? I use Michellen tires on everything I own and I love them. Doesn't mean I am not open to a new favorite.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:If i had a warranty issue I would just put the stock stuff back on and bring it to the dealer and say "duuhhhhh, it's busted" But I doubt I will have that problem. As far as tires go, I looked for those Hindinberg or whatever tires, I couldn't really find them, plus I already have some S1's waiting to go as soon as the stock ones are toast.

I am very interested in those heidleburg or whatever tires. Why are they much better? I use Michellen tires on everything I own and I love them. Doesn't mean I am not open to a new favorite.
You can find the Heidenau K61 tires at several places. The 125 uses 3.5 x 10 which you can find at www.Revzilla.com. But I think the Psycho uses 100/90-10 which you can find at www.ScooterShop.com. Or you can just call the distributor www.moto-amore.com.
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

Kurt
My computer once beat me at chess. But it was no match for me at kick boxing.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

ThreeSheets wrote:The mod bug has struck again! :P

Thanks for the link to Flat Squirrel Scooters I bought the t shirt. R
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

kschulz wrote:How 'bout a Scooterputer?
That thing is awesome, how much did it cost to make? How much would you charge to make one?
MB #2349
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

dsmith65 wrote:That thing is awesome, how much did it cost to make? How much would you charge to make one?
I just had 50 made and am working on a web site to sell. The new version has a sunlight readable display and a bluetooth option so you can use your smartphone as the display if you want (in a RAM mount). The Scooterputer w/GPS will be around $139, and the sunlight readable display $89. Bluetooth option $39. Should be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

I see you're in the Nashville area. I was just there last weekend for the Blue vs Gray Rally. Did you go?
Kurt
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Very nice kschulz. Are you an EE? How did you figure out how to do it all?
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

k1dude wrote:Very nice kschulz. Are you an EE? How did you figure out how to do it all?
Thanks, yes started as an EE and now mainly do software dev at my daytime job. I like doing embedded stuff on my own time.
Kurt
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

kschulz wrote:

I see you're in the Nashville area. I was just there last weekend for the Blue vs Gray Rally. Did you go?
Sadly didn't find out about the rally until to late. Otherwise I'd have gone, maybe next year.
MB #2349
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

kschulz wrote:
dsmith65 wrote:That thing is awesome, how much did it cost to make? How much would you charge to make one?
I just had 50 made and am working on a web site to sell. The new version has a sunlight readable display and a bluetooth option so you can use your smartphone as the display if you want (in a RAM mount). The Scooterputer w/GPS will be around $139, and the sunlight readable display $89. Bluetooth option $39. Should be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

In looking at your Audrino site, I saw that at least one version of the device included a lean-angle sensor. Would it be possible to use that, and GPS-derived speed and heading data, to provide a signal for an automatic turn signal shutoff?

Then again, you might only need speed and "distance from turn signal activation point" to make it work.

-Rusty
Vespa LXS 150
4T Stella, perhaps?
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

Rusty J wrote:In looking at your Audrino site, I saw that at least one version of the device included a lean-angle sensor. Would it be possible to use that, and GPS-derived speed and heading data, to provide a signal for an automatic turn signal shutoff?

Then again, you might only need speed and "distance from turn signal activation point" to make it work.
The lean-angle sensor in the prototype did not work very well using only an accelerometer, so I omitted it in the production version. I think you could use just the GPS data to discern when a turn has completed and then deactivate the turn signals. But it might be better to use a different sensor altogether, maybe something like a Hall Effect sensor on the steering column.

Of course, these would require tapping in to the turn signal wiring and on/off switch to work, but this would be a very nice option. Good idea!
Kurt