Hi Vis: Silver Vs White (Helmet)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Hi Vis: Silver Vs White (Helmet)

Post by JHScoot »

Many of you are Hi Vis fans when it comes to gear and helmets but besides the obvious gear made bright yellow, green, orange, etc....do you consider a bright silver "hi vis" as well? Or is it considered hi vis in general?

I ask because I was looking for a WHITE helmet (or predominantly white) for night riding, but came across this helmet from a brand i like at an especially good price. My primary goal is to be officially "hi vis" but for you who ride hi vis....would this do it for you? Acceptable, at least? Scale of 1-10, perhaps?

This is the helmet, worn in sunlight (not me)

My other selection would be this one, although more expensive atm. It is predominantly white, but with those graphics does that kill the hi vis effect? In your opinion? I hope these images stay linked? If not I will upload and post 'em myself.

Thanks!
Riding is riding
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Although I think of the term Hi-Vis as specifically referring to those day glo greens/yellows/pinks/oranges, I also think that light colors have significantly higher visibility than dark colors. I have a white helmet for that very reason and I have both light jackets that were purchased for better visibility, but they cannot be truly called hi vis.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Good post.

Would white (or predominantly so such as the FF there) qualify for hi vis at night? This is not a question of what color I am going to get for night riding....it will be white. But maybe silver is just as well? And what of the graphics?

I saw a bike early one dark morning, two up...dark blue bike and dark clothing worn. But two white helmets that stuck out like light bulbs in the night. They were not reflective or anything, just a glossy white. But they were very apparent. So I thought 'maybe I don't have to be day glo to be hi vis.'

Oh, at night. In the day I wear a black 3/4 or black ff with a big, white lightning like graphic, and glittery gray racing stripes that reflect like crazy. Not really too concerned with my helmet being hi vis in the daylight, though.
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My understanding is that well defined high contrast shapes are one way to accomplish high visual recognition. Something such as this (my Nolan helmet :wink: ) -
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

The MSF course goes over hi-vis equipment. Mostly bright colors with high contrasts. Solids are usually thought of as middle of the road depending on how dark/light they are. The best has been said three colors in contrasting patterns.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

spr0k3t wrote:The MSF course goes over hi-vis equipment. Mostly bright colors with high contrasts. Solids are usually thought of as middle of the road depending on how dark/light they are. The best has been said three colors in contrasting patterns.
Hmm. Well, this sort of reminds me of the FF I linked. Of course that FF is not purposely designed to be hi vis, but it is somewhat striking, I think? And should be pretty visible at night.

I am also going to start carrying an inexpensive hi vis vest with me for those particularly dark times on the road.

Again, visibility at night is my main objective. But not ultimate hi vis. If I don't like it, I won't want to wear it. Maybe one day I'll be better at putting function before fashion :roll:

To my credit my Agility is pretty well reflective at night with well placed trim. And nice and red during the day. The Blackjack is another story, of course.
Riding is riding
Abbott

Post by Abbott »

I have a three-color helmet (with a bright orange sticker and some reflective ones) and a black and white houndstooth jacket. I have to wonder if all this wacky loud contrasting is "hi viz" or if it actually gives the effect of dazzle ship camouflage.

Here's an NIH study that says a white helmet is safest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/
michelle_7728

Re: Hi Vis: Silver Vs White (Helmet)

Post by michelle_7728 »

JHScoot wrote:... My primary goal is to be officially "hi vis" but for you who ride hi vis....would this do it for you? Acceptable, at least? Scale of 1-10, perhaps?....
Okay. You specifically asked:

Sorry. No, it doesn't do it for me. Yes, it's a nice helmet, but to me hi vis is something that makes someone "see" you, and white just doesn't cut it.

I like it better than black or grey for visibility, but I just don't think it would make a cager "see" you.

For example, when you drive through a construction zone, what are your eyes drawn to? The white hard hats, or the bright yellow and orange vests?

Yes, white shows up more than many of the other helmet colors, but you asked what a hi-viz person thought. :)

Now if you are just concerned about night riding, I'm not sold on hi vis for that, as I'm not convinced it necessarily helps there. I'm thinking the answer is really good reflectives, which could be added to any helmet. :D

The below picture was taken in our semi-dark garage on a sunny day.
Attachments
Bright.jpg
Bright.jpg (178.11 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
amy

Post by amy »

Just think of a photograph in grey-scale (black and white). Which color is going to stand out the most?
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

That's the Sparx helmet i have!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

The silver or Stryder, Demo? If Stryder, how do you like the graphics "in person?"

I like SparX lids. Have two, myself. Perfect fit for my head. :helmet:

EDIT: oh, and thanks for the replies, everyone. i have more to add but later. i am getting sleepy :(
Riding is riding
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I have the Stryder. The graphic is beautifully done. Very well made.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Noooo. Silver is not hi-vis ... unless it's night and it's reflective.

Studies show solid white to be the best for reducing accidents. BMJ study

Lighter/brighter colors are better than black, but not as good as white. (There has not been enough riders wearing hi-vis orange to determine if it is as good or better than white.)

And patterned colors are worse than solid colors... they're kinda like camo. The clutter of the pattern blends with the clutter of the world around you.
Scooter Commuter
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Great. Seems some firm conclusions have been drawn on the question of favoring solid white

I gotta have some racing chex or something, though. And the "SparX" logo isn't emblazoned on the side like that. At least not on my black 3/4. Pretty sure that is only for sales pics. :helmet:

I like this 3/4

Vs this 3/4

Riding is riding
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sunshinen wrote:Noooo. Silver is not hi-vis ... unless it's night and it's reflective.

Studies show solid white to be the best for reducing accidents. BMJ study

Lighter/brighter colors are better than black, but not as good as white. (There has not been enough riders wearing hi-vis orange to determine if it is as good or better than white.)

And patterned colors are worse than solid colors... they're kinda like camo. The clutter of the pattern blends with the clutter of the world around you.
I was going to link to the same study. This is the latest research I've found on helmet color.

1) white
2) solid color

For conspicuity AT NIGHT, you need RETROREFLECTIVE material (stickers/tape that reflects light back from the source) like the white/red striping stickers on 18-wheelers. 3M SOLAS is some of the brightest stuff you can get.

You can get a true hi-viz helmet (bright yellow or bright orange). I ride with a guy who has one...yikes!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Oh i see, siobhan. So things like this:

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/moto.htm

Or maybe even just applying some of this less permanent stuff? Check out the before and after helmet on this page

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03456C-Scotchl ... 224&sr=8-1

However white is still favored imo as i want to be seen even if not reflective. We shall see. Good solutions itt :)
Riding is riding
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I agree that silver is NOT hi-vis, (unless it's like 3M reflective silver at night). Silver scooters and cars always seem to blend into the road for me.

White's good. I wear a hi-vis chartreuse Scorpion, great helmet for the price and the color is about as vibrant as you find. I saw a study that hi-vis was so overused in britain that people have started to ignore it but I can't imagine that's an issue here.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I have read that silver colored cars are the hardest colors to see in bright sunlight!
Me? I ride for the bugs!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I have decided on SOLID WHITE helmets. Form and function first in this regard. No use messing around.

Problem: The SparX S-07 does not come in solid white :(

I DO NOT want to shop helmets. It does not sound like fun. Maybe the Stryder posted above will do? It is mostly white.

Dumb SparX. They make a solid white FF and Modular but those will fit differently as they are different models. And heavier, etc. I want an S-07 it is perfect on my head.
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Scorpion makes all-white FF helmets. I have this EXO-400.

EXO-700 version.
amy

Post by amy »

I'm looking into getting a custom painted helmet. I'll post when I have deets.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety used to have a website called HighViz.org which showed brightly colored flourescent Hi Viz helmets and clothing (I believe they used hi-viz yellow/green in their study) were far superior to any other colors. White came in a distant second. All other colors were basically worthless. Unfortunately, the website is now defunct and the study isn't even on the MNDPS's website.

I ride with a Hi-Viz yellow/green helmet and gloves as a result of that study. Yes, I look like a neon clown on a tiny circus scooter. And people still try to run me over.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

amy wrote:I'm looking into getting a custom painted helmet. I'll post when I have deets.
Be careful. Most helmet manufacturers specifically prohibit painting of their helmets. Most paints/solvents will negatively affect the strength of the shell.
amy

Post by amy »

k1dude wrote:
amy wrote:I'm looking into getting a custom painted helmet. I'll post when I have deets.
Be careful. Most helmet manufacturers specifically prohibit painting of their helmets. Most paints/solvents will negatively affect the strength of the shell.
:wha:
GREAT advice. Thanks! I'll keep ya posted
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

they use the hi viz yellow , because it is the first color your eye sees in the color spectrem
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

White all the way. Ever notice motorcycle cops?

Silver is not a noticeable color. I had a silver vehicle that repeatedly got dinged in the parking lots because people didn't notice it and flung their doors open. Never happened with any other colors.

And white is cooler in the sun.
Last edited by Beamster on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think white is best at night, sure. so thats what i shall go with, as these are to be night riding helmets.

so, someone PLEASE tell me what i want to hear and say the top 3/4 helmet is "white," as well as the FF in the bottom pic. i mean, if someone told you "pick the white helmets" those two would be chosen :)

:helmet:
Riding is riding
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I say the FF one on the bottom but I'm biased. ;p
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

JHScoot wrote:i think white is best at night, sure. so thats what i shall go with, as these are to be night riding helmets.

so, someone PLEASE tell me what i want to hear and say the top 3/4 helmet is "white," as well as the FF in the bottom pic. i mean, if someone told you "pick the white helmets" those two would be chosen :)
Huh? I don't get the question. All I see are 6 white helmets.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

k1dude wrote:
JHScoot wrote:i think white is best at night, sure. so thats what i shall go with, as these are to be night riding helmets.

Huh? I don't get the question. All I see are 6 white helmets.
alright k1dude i see what you have done there and i don't like it :cry:

obviously there are black, silver, and gray helmets in the mix

plz try again
Demo_Nic wrote:I say the FF one on the bottom but I'm biased. ;p
yes! +1 in favor
Riding is riding
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

There's enough 'blank' white space on the helmet that you could put some reflective stickers or decals on it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ Sure. Every time i ride at night i can wrap some cheap 3M tape around it. Put some strips on here and there.

Demo, does your Stryder have "SparX" emblazoned on the side like that? My 3/4 solid showed it in the ad, but when it arrived it didn't have it. I actually prefer it doesn't
Riding is riding
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I'll check tomorrow when I go to the garage to change my bulbs. Too lazy to go now and it's dark out. FYI I live in an apartment complex and my garage is on the opposite side of the complex from my apartment.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

siobhan wrote:For conspicuity AT NIGHT, you need RETROREFLECTIVE material (stickers/tape that reflects light back from the source) like the white/red striping stickers on 18-wheelers. 3M SOLAS is some of the brightest stuff you can get.
The reflectives in this picture are the 3M Solas if anyone is wondering how reflective they are. :wink:

Great for conspicuity...not so good if you want to take a normal picture in your garage... :roll:
Attachments
Bright.jpg
Bright.jpg (182.49 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

With all this talk again about conspicuous-ness and visibility and that a large amount of my riding is when dark out, I've re-thought things a bit and will be weaving an Army PT belt through my new basket. (Pics to come)
Attachments
PT belt 2.jpg
PT belt 2.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

White may be the most visible normal solid color, but it isn't going to be as high viz as a day-glo or neon color. Color doesn't matter at night - for that you need reflective - of the type that reflects directly back to the light source.

I say get the best and most comfortable helmet you can afford. If it isn't high viz enough, then viz it up with day-glo and reflective stripes and stickers. I know, I know ... there are those who claim paint/stickers etc compromise the max integrity of the helmet, making it less safe. So does being hit by a Dodge Durango, better to be seen.

I'm still lobbying for helmets with rotating frikkin' lasers on them.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

JHScoot wrote:Demo, does your Stryder have "SparX" emblazoned on the side like that? My 3/4 solid showed it in the ad, but when it arrived it didn't have it. I actually prefer it doesn't
It has it on the side.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Now that the color is established, there is nothing like being ultra aware of your surroundings and always suspicious of other drivers. Anticipate that everyone is going to make a mistake, and not in your favor.

Forty-one years of riding and no accidents; plenty of exciting moments but no accidents.

Don't rely on your lights, loud exhaust (we get weekly squashed Harley riders here)), horn or anything other than your imagination and skill.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I drive and ride like nobody sees me and I always anticipate someone dashing out from a spot I can't see like a parked car. I also don't tailgate and expect drivers to run red lights, stop signs, and not know the right of way. I am paranoid.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Beamster wrote:Now that the color is established, there is nothing like being ultra aware of your surroundings and always suspicious of other drivers. Anticipate that everyone is going to make a mistake, and not in your favor.

Forty-one years of riding and no accidents; plenty of exciting moments but no accidents.

Don't rely on your lights, loud exhaust (we get weekly squashed Harley riders here)), horn or anything other than your imagination and skill.
Yeah but use your horn too, right? Just for fun :D

I appreciate this post right here because it is generally how I feel about riding safe. If it serves me the same as you I still have 39 trouble free years to go. I too have many "exciting moments." And truth be told I enjoy them somewhat. It's part of riding. Avoid the moving two ton orange cones.

Imagination is a huge part of it. You have to know where everything is going before it gets there. Before it has given any indication of going there you need to know everywhere else it could go, too. All other places are your outs. You need to do this for many vehicles at once often times. And the "outs" are many time precarious, at that.

So yes, keep the horn handy. Just for fun, as said before :D

I have used mine several times lately. Necessary? Not to avoid an impact but to let them know if not for ME I'm dead / injured on account of THEM.

Last incident I'm heading down the highway, traffic bearing down on me. Woman in a big ass suv turns left out of a parking lot and crosses over into traffic and cuts me off. I have my out I am not worried. I blare the Stebal and she hurriedly leaves my lane and hurries into the open one next. As I pass I notice she is looking for the honking car in her rear view mirror.
Riding is riding
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I bought several strips of the red/white retroreflective tape. I put several patches of it on my helmet, and I'm debating where to stick some on the scoot itself. Great stuff.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

JH, I'm a fan of any of those white-with-contrast design helmets. Reason being that I feel white, next to hi-vis yellow or something reflective, is the easiest to spot at night, and a minimal or moderate amount of contrast in the design I think can help people see you in the daylight. Add some reflective strips or decals in the right places and I think you're golden with one of those.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

JHScoot wrote:
I appreciate this post right here because it is generally how I feel about riding safe. If it serves me the same as you I still have 39 trouble free years to go. I too have many "exciting moments." And truth be told I enjoy them somewhat. It's part of riding. Avoid the moving two ton orange cones.
[/quote]

Ah, those exciting moments.....that lingering taste in your mouth.

I still remember the first one, 40 years ago. First bike, 650 Triumph Bonneville, less than a season old and a hot rod in those days.

A woman backed out of her driveway into the on coming lane across my path.
No big deal at this point, moderate pressure on the brakes and no excitement....still rolling down the street toward her but we're not far apart.

Now the fun begins.
We made eye contact and for whatever reason, either she realizes her mistake and panics or she is just stupid, she pulls back across my path back into the driveway.
Now the moderate braking turns into a flat track slide across her lawn with sod flying before me. Handled like a champ and never went down.
After an adolescent gesture I proceeded to leave my mark rooster tailing across the lawn on the way out imagining how she was going to explain this to her husband. I still chuckle.

Thank god I was 21 and invincible on wheels.

Always imagine this happening to you and you'll do fine.

And Oh that taste in the mouth! You'll never forget it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

LunaP wrote:JH, I'm a fan of any of those white-with-contrast design helmets. Reason being that I feel white, next to hi-vis yellow or something reflective, is the easiest to spot at night, and a minimal or moderate amount of contrast in the design I think can help people see you in the daylight. Add some reflective strips or decals in the right places and I think you're golden with one of those.
Think you might be on to something there, Luna. I found these shots that exhibit as much. Notice how in the first shot its all very striking until we get to the black stripe which matches the sunglasses, jacket, t-shirt, and even the mountains on the horizon.

The next shot also shows the blending in of the black which really offsets the white and orange showing good hi vis imo

The next shot shows a full side view. Looks pretty darn visible to me! And the last shot shows it sitting on a table next to others. Looks like I have found my helmet. Decisions, decisions....

Riding is riding
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

JHScoot wrote: Think you might be on to something there, Luna.

The black jacket, as stylish as it might seem, is not a good thing though.
(Back to my squished Harley guy observations.)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ Nope, it is not and often how I ride. I will be getting a white jacket next, though. I figure what the hell, may as well. Although I do like black and darker colors, time to mend my riding ways a bit.

And thanks for sharing your riding experiences as well. It all goes with....
Riding is riding
amy

Post by amy »

Here's how I gussied up mine with some hi-vis duct tape and reflective tape. I ran out of white tape on the front, but that's ok because I am going to replace that strip with a wider piece.

I think it looks ok considering its a simple craft job. I was in the shop last week and a fella picked it up thinking it was for sale. :D
Attachments
IMG_5812.JPG
IMG_5812.JPG (129.35 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG (96.57 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
amy

Post by amy »

amy wrote:Here's how I gussied up mine with some hi-vis duct tape and yellow and white reflective tape. I ran out of white tape on the front, but that's ok because I am going to replace that strip with a wider piece.

I think it looks ok considering its a simple craft job. I was in the shop last week and a fella picked it up thinking it was for sale. :D
I accidentally quoted myself. Is there a way to delete this?
Last edited by amy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theflash784

Hi Vis Helmets

Post by theflash784 »

Amy- that's a great job! How did you get the tape to lay flat around the curves of the helmet? When my friend was helping me put reflective tape on the scoot, we had to cut in pieces to get it along the curves.
amy

Post by amy »

Thank you!

The trick is to ty to stick with one direction and not get too fancy with the curvatures. I basically went front to back, so it wasn't too bad.

I went super slow with each stripe, pushing out any bubbles and pulling it taught as I went. Once the first stripe was down and I was satisfied with it, it just acted as a guide for the others. Then I just used a little X-acto knife to cut the tape around the vent and my safety sticker that was already on the helmet.

:D