Hello. New Owner - Used 2006 Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BFPengi

Hello. New Owner - Used 2006 Buddy 125

Post by BFPengi »

Hi.

I own a scooter! Haven't ridden it yet. Terrified... TERRIFIED!

I do have a couple quick questions (I'm sure I'll have more).

1) How hard is it to change the battery. This scooter was in storage for the last 2 years and the batter is no longer any good. Any battery recommendations?

2) I know what the minimum insurance is. How much SHOULD I carry? The value of my scooter is only $1750, but I know that is only a small part of it.

Thanks in advance!!!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Hi BFPengi - welcome to Modern Buddy and scooter ownership!

To answer your direct questions:

1) Changing the battery is easy. Pull up the floor mat and undo the screw(s?) to open the little door. Remove the wires from the battery, negative (black) first. Use the same precautions you would use when working on a car battery. You should be able to get a replacement pretty much anywhere that sells car batteries - i.e. Sears, Batteries Plus etc. Just take it with you and ask them for an equivalent. (Others might have a stronger opinion about what battery is appropriate - I don't think it matters much.)

2) Insurance really depends on what level of risk you're willing to accept. You obviously need to carry enough to pay for any damages you might cause. Beyond that, consider what you'll need if you crash. Is it really important to get full replacement value, or can you do a deductible? Do you already have good medical insurance that will fix you up in case of a serious crash, or do you need coverage for that?

3) The question you didn't ask - how to get over your fear. First and foremost (you're likely to hear this a lot), sign up for an MSF course. They'll teach you the basics and fill your head with great safety information. After you've done that, just go out and ride as much as you can at your comfort level. Your confidence will build from there.

Enjoy!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

You should really think about taking a MSF class. Also ask them if they will allow you to or if they use scooters. If your going to be riding a scoot then getting as much practice as possible could only be a good thing. It costs a bit but it Will teach you a lot and put you on the path to becoming a "better" rider. Welcome to the form. About insurance: In my opinion getting a "full" coverage policy might be might be more expensive but you'd be protected if you lay it down. Depending on where you live theft protection might not be a bad idea either. I went ahead and got the full package and it cost me $44.00 a month but I had absoultely NO riding experience and my coverage has a lot of medical coverage added....
Last edited by Drum Pro on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

MSF is nice, so I hear, but if you don't have the dough, as I do not, then researching and learning the skills taught is an option. You know, until you can afford it. I have spent many hours practicing new skills in an empty parking lot with inexpensive cones ect...

Insurance is a must, because even thugs come into perfectly safe neighborhoods.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

+! (to the Nth) on the MSF course.
I rode motorcycles in my younger years, many years ago but never took the course. When I bought my scooter in 2008, I took the course and it was one of the best things I've ever done as a driver of anything.
I think everyone who drives a car/truck/SUV would benefit greatly from the course.

Also, if the scooter has been stored for 2 years, you will likely need to clean the carb or have it done at a shop.
The fuel will have most likely gunked things up. Fuel lines won't be as problematic as the carb because the carb has very small flow channels (the jets) that can clog.
There will also just be general varnish build-up in the fuel system from sitting.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Capt_Don wrote:MSF is nice, so I hear, but if you don't have the dough, as I do not, then researching and learning the skills taught is an option. You know, until you can afford it. I have spent many hours practicing new skills in an empty parking lot with inexpensive cones ect...

Insurance is a must, because even thugs come into perfectly safe neighborhoods.
It is not the same price in all areas. In Ohio, it is state subsidized, so if you do it through the state rather than a private dealer then it is $25. The class isn't about practice, it is about learning how to ride both properly (which is more than maneuvering) and defensively, and the statistics on how many people crash who are self-taught or taught by a friend or family member, versus an approved course are overwhelming.
BFPengi

Post by BFPengi »

Oh, I definitely agree on the MSF. I will be doing that ASAP. However, even the thought of taking the class scares me.

First off, I'll be learning on a motorcycle. I drive an automatic car for a reason... lol.

Second, I think if there is a way to kill oneself even under the supervision of a professional, I will be the one to find a way... and there will be a classroom full of witnesses.

I know the anticipation really is the worst part, but I also know that I will be the kind of person that will have "OMG I'm going to die" playing over and over in my head for at least the first 1000 miles.

Insurance: I'm not so much worried about myself. The value on the scooter is so little and I have good health coverage. I am more worried about getting enough coverage for the other guy. How much damage for the other party should I get? Part of me is like... damage to the other guy? It's like a dictionary falling on an ant. How much damage could there be? Should I stick with the standard $100,000/$300,000/$50,000?

Carburetor: I knew that would be an issue too. Is that something I can do myself? Are there any other recommendations for a scooter that has been stored so long?

Thanks again,
Jacqueline
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

You can take the MSF class on a scooter. They should have 1 or 2 there for you to use.

You should drive around in a parking lot and then graduate to side roads. Even if/when you get confident running errands, please sign up for the MSF class ASAP. It's summer and classes fill up quickly but at least sign up and have it on your calendar.

Put a shot glass or 2 of SeaFoam (get it at WalMart in the car section) into the gas tank (fill it if it's not full) and that should take care of the varnish buildup in the fuel system.

Check the tires for proper inflation.

You want the most insurance you can afford. If you have a car, they can usually put your scooter on the same policy with a big discount.
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Yes, the MSF is a great course to take. Take it if you can. But get some experience under your belt even before the class if possible.

I don't know where you live, but if you live in a nice quiet little traveled neighborhood, it's a great place to practice. Just slowly ride around your neighborhood and pull over to the side if a car occasionally shows up.

Capt_Don brings up a great idea. If you live near a big parking lot, go there after hours when it's empty and practice, practice, practice. Lots of places (like Walmart or Target) sell these little soccer practice orange cones for dirt cheap. Set those up and maneuver around them. Pretty soon your speed will pick up and you'll learn how to shift weight and lean properly.

If the scooter is running fine right now, I would just put Seafoam in your gas tank for at least 3 or 4 fillups to clean out the carb.

Scooter insurance is darn cheap compared to a car. So get full coverage. But call around to at least 3 companies. You'll get wildly different quotes. When I checked the first time, I got quotes of $700, $400, and $125 for exactly the same coverage. Guess which one I chose? Now I only pay $95 per year for the same coverage. At least call Progressive, AAA, and Geico.

Changing the battery is easy peasy. No sweat. Even a caveman can do it!

Welcome and safe scooting!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats on giving a Vintage Buddy a good home! The only ones with a good looking headlight! :mrgreen:

First the important things

What color?

You don't really own it until you post a pic here!

Battery is a snap as described above.

Get some training...you are going to hear that about 500 more times...in this thread

Insurance...I always worry about a kid stepping off the curb in front of me.

Is it running? You might need to clean the carb.

Take your time, gear up, ride your own rid,e have fun and be prepared for your face to hurt from smiling so much!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I looked up Utah MSF. They allow you to use your own scooter for the Basic Rider course, but honestly I would do the provided motorcycles. They will show you how to shift, you will never get past third gear, and if you fall you scratched the hell out of their bikes not yours.

It is very step by step and it is absolutely designed for people who have never ridden before, although there will be people there with some experience, and maybe one with a lot. We had a guy who had been riding for 20 years and was finally getting his license. (He did ride mostly off road before that, but still) But mostly it was people who had never ridden before and an equal mixture of men and women. Depending on your instructor and rain it can also be a lot of fun.

I took the class twice a couple of years apart. I loved my first set of instructors, not so much for the second set. The first was a husband and wife team. He was bad cop, she was good cop. He was very strict, wouldn't let us get away with anything. We jokingly called him drill sergeant and stood at attention and this cracked him up. I liked him. He was strict for a reason, and I always use all of my fingers on the brake lever because of him, even though my fingers are impossibly short.
BFPengi

Post by BFPengi »

BuddyRaton wrote:Congrats on giving a Vintage Buddy a good home! The only ones with a good looking headlight! :mrgreen:

What color?

Alright, here it is. I guess you'd call it Seafoam Green.
Attachments
My &amp;quot;new&amp;quot; Buddy
My &quot;new&quot; Buddy
index.jpeg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
SuperFlyBuddy

Re: Hello. New Owner - Used 2006 Buddy 125

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

BFPengi wrote:1) How hard is it to change the battery. This scooter was in storage for the last 2 years and the batter is no longer any good. Any battery recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!!
Scorpion Battery. Same size as OEM battery but with greater capacity (8.6ah vs stock 6ah). They're currently on sale for $51 (normally $58 ) and they always have free priority shipping.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... TZ10S.html
<insert witty comment here>
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you are going to get some practice on your own (as you should!), be sure to read some material first.
There are some basic things to know that will prevent you crashing, high-siding etc.

Things like:
Don't brake (much) while cornering; use the brakes before you turn and power through the turn.

Squeeze the brakes; don't grab them (like shooting a gun).

You should be able to find some good reading online.

Welcome and good luck!!!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TVB

Post by TVB »

velobuff wrote:You can take the MSF class on a scooter. They should have 1 or 2 there for you to use.
Some places do, many places do not. I believe it also depends on whether your state requires you to have actual motorcycle (i.e. shifting) experience for the motorcycle endorsement on your license; if it does, the chances are the places offering the MSF class probably won't have any scooters, because those wouldn't qualify you.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BFPengi wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Congrats on giving a Vintage Buddy a good home! The only ones with a good looking headlight! :mrgreen:

What color?

Alright, here it is. I guess you'd call it Seafoam Green.
That is a Vintage 06 Cream Buddy 125!

Cream was one of the first colors to be retired...I can't remember when but it hasn't been available for awhile now

Looks like it is great condition. That is the same scooter that I have. It's funny...I've done mods and added racks, stickers, seat cover etc, etc, etc...it's nice to see one that looks like it just came out of the factory!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BFPengi

Post by BFPengi »

BuddyRaton wrote:That is a Vintage 06 Cream Buddy 125!

Cream was one of the first colors to be retired...I can't remember when but it hasn't been available for awhile now

Looks like it is great condition. That is the same scooter that I have. It's funny...I've done mods and added racks, stickers, seat cover etc, etc, etc...it's nice to see one that looks like it just came out of the factory!
Oh, you're right. Funny, I've been at work since I bought it, so I haven't been able to look at it again until now. I thought it was more green. Nope. Definitely cream.

I don't know anything about scooters, but I agree that it is in fabulous condition. It only has less than 5400 miles on it and has just been sitting in storage forever. I paid $1250 for it, which I think is a screaming deal. I keep waiting for something covered in duct tape that I failed to notice to fall off it.

So... how hard is it to change the tires by myself?
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Something to keep in mind they did some changes to the 2007+ models such as headlight shape and bulbs.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

That is a beautiful scooter... You nabbed yourself a real gem.
Don't worry.... There are LOTS of us here who are new to scootering.... And lots of experienced riders with lots of great information and advice. And it's friendly!

Check to see if the MRSF course is offered by your local community college. It is here in Saint Louis and it is a bit less expensive and the offer it a lot so the wait to take the class isn't bad. And it is such a good idea to take the course. Even if you are careful and observant, you cannot control the boneheads that are driving on the same roads with us. The class helps you deal with emergency situations etc. We are a lot smaller than the cars and trucks out there so anything to help us be safer is a plus.

And buy yourself good gear. A good Helmet, armored jacket... I do the gloves and wear boots that cover my ankles. Riding jeans/riding pants are a good thing. I ride in heavier regular jeans.... I really want something more protective but can't quite afford it now. Lots of good links and resources on the board here.

And try not to think negatively.... Just be careful and have fun. I'm 50 and I never road two motorized wheels in my life until I treated myself to my Buddy as a 50th birthday present from me to me. I live where scootering about is a very viable means of transportation. The very first ride home from the dealership was sort of a.... Oh my, what have I done... Sort of moment. The fear didn't last. Riding is such pure joy. Give yourself that chance to feel like a kid again. Not too many things in life these days are this simple and yet so enjoyable.
96 Decibel Freaks
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

BFPengi wrote:So... how hard is it to change the tires by myself?
It's not at all difficult to remove the wheels from the scooter. For the front tire, you just remove the brake caliper (two bolts) and then remove the bolt from the wheel and it drops right off. For the back tire, you have to drop the exhaust to get the wheel off, but that's not difficult. The hard part is the removal and reinstallation of the tires on the wheels. It can be done, but be ready for a really, really difficult time. Personally, I wasn't strong enough to do it. My partner had to finish up the job. But I am a literal 98 lb. weekling at this stage of my life :lol: . Some people take the wheels off themselves and then have the tires changed at the shop for a much smaller fee than having the whole thing done professionally. Ask a local shop what they'd charge for that.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Demo_Nic wrote:Something to keep in mind they did some changes to the 2007+ models such as headlight shape and bulbs.
And the headlight has never looked right since!

A lot of people complained about the 06 headlights. You can order a different bulb but I have never found it to be a problem. But then again I have been known to ride 6v systems with no battery
www.teamscootertrash.com

smarkum

Post by smarkum »

I took the test after some practice and then got my M endorsment on my License. Then I was able to use my own scoot for the safety class. I was VERY glad I did it that way because all of the skills they taught me I was comfortable with on my own scoot at the end. The test is NOT difficult - or it wasn't in my State. The book part is just some memorization and the driving part just included rounding through the cones, starting on a line and going as "fast as you can" and stopping on another line a bit down the lane. As I recall, that was about it. No a biggie. To be able to use my own scoot in the class was priceless.
BFPengi

Post by BFPengi »

smarkum wrote:I took the test after some practice and then got my M endorsment on my License. Then I was able to use my own scoot for the safety class. I was VERY glad I did it that way because all of the skills they taught me I was comfortable with on my own scoot at the end. The test is NOT difficult - or it wasn't in my State. The book part is just some memorization and the driving part just included rounding through the cones, starting on a line and going as "fast as you can" and stopping on another line a bit down the lane. As I recall, that was about it. No a biggie. To be able to use my own scoot in the class was priceless.
I was thinking about that. I can get my permit and the scooter legal to ride, then just take it to the class. However, I wonder if it might be a good idea to learn to ride a motorcycle anyway. Kind of like scaring the poop out of me, then coming home to my scooter and thinking, okay, still scary, but not as bad. And I'm a little worried that I'd be the only one on a scooter next to a bunch of motorcycles. Gosh, I'm 33 years old, and I swear sometimes I have the emotional mentality of a junior high girl... I know, I know. Better comfortable and embarrassed then with pride intact, but scared to death and well... dead...

And... how the heck would I get my scooter to class? It is pretty far and across some scary traffic.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'd say you're better off taking the class on one of their motorcycles. If you take your own scooter, you have the added worry (and very real possibility) of dumping it and causing damage. Use one of their bikes so you don't have to worry about that. They've been dumped many times before and will be dumped again.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I replaced my tires this past week. It's not that hard to remove the wheels, but it takes a little time and you have to roll around on the ground a little. But I didn't even attempt to swap out the tires. I took it to a local Ducati/Vespa dealer and paid $20 per tire to have them replace them on my rims.

When re-assembling, you have to make sure you torque the fasteners properly. So you'll need 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Some blue loctite might not be a bad idea either.

It's a good exercise to do, because you'll be doing it often if you ride alot and it'll save you money in addition to getting you familiar with your Buddy.
phatch

Post by phatch »

I can never get over what an awesome forum this is... look at all these posts of people who want to help, encourage, and spread positivity! Ya'll Rock!
:D :D :D :D :D
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

BFPengi wrote:
smarkum wrote: I was thinking about that. I can get my permit and the scooter legal to ride, then just take it to the class. However, I wonder if it might be a good idea to learn to ride a motorcycle anyway. Kind of like scaring the poop out of me, then coming home to my scooter and thinking, okay, still scary, but not as bad. And I'm a little worried that I'd be the only one on a scooter next to a bunch of motorcycles. Gosh, I'm 33 years old, and I swear sometimes I have the emotional mentality of a junior high girl... I know, I know. Better comfortable and embarrassed then with pride intact, but scared to death and well... dead...

And... how the heck would I get my scooter to class? It is pretty far and across some scary traffic.
The class I took provided the scooter. I was the only woman in the class, and the only one on the scooter. I am NEVER going to ride a motorcycle so to learn shifting, etc was totally unnecessary imho.
if you can do the class on a scooter I would...unless you plan to buy a motorcycle
amy

Post by amy »

I would call that color "buttercup" or "buttermilk".
Congrats on your new scoot.

There are a couple of MSF videos on YouTube that might be a little helpful.

Also, get a good set of safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket). They are invaluable!