Two new Buddy 170 owners saying "Hello!"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

klr6773

Two new Buddy 170 owners saying "Hello!"

Post by klr6773 »

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone! My wife and I finally did something for ourselves...we got two new Buddy 170s today! LOL-the kids are less than thrilled for us, but we cant wait to tool around the Portland ,OR metro area! will use them for work commutes during the Summer and weekend "Parent playtime"

We actually thought we were going to go with a completely different scoot-the Kymco People 150. Wanted to check out the HD 200 in a not quite apples to apples comparison,but it was a little too big. Saw the 170's and fell in love ! We both got the silver with the black stripe. The dealer threw in the helmets for us ($130 each) too. Drove one of them home,will pick up the other tomorrow. Only thing we have to do now is get into one of the now mandatory in Oregon classes,which,unfortunately look all but full until the end of July in our area.

I look forward to using this forum as a great learning tool...Can't wait to have time to browse around!

[/b]
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Congrats on your very wise purchase of the 170i! It is the best buy you could have ever made in a scooter. I am saying this totally unbiased, obviously.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

GREAT. nice choice, too.

As far as the classes go, I used to instruct. In Md. we allow "stand-by" students. Basically if 14 are registered and 12 show up, and you are there waiting. You are in. See if your state does the same.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Seems to be a lot of Buddy owners in Portland, OR. Welcome!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Welcome! I must agree that the 170I is quite a reliable scoot. Have fun and DONT FORGET YOUR GEAR! and those classes will be fun!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Welcome, my kids called me crazy as well when I bought my Buddy for my self as a 49th birthday present 3 years ago, I told them I prefer eccentric!
Enjoy your selves ride happy, ride safe.

Don't forget to post pics of the four of you!!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Kriztof

Post by Kriztof »

Congrats on your new FUN!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Excellent job on your selection!

The people is a great scoot too, and those tires are comfy (I'll post a thread about mine in a second...), but the Buddy is definitely the most fun around town!

The silver and green are the best! I predict that there will be some discounted Mocha's in the future...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

viney266 wrote:As far as the classes go, I used to instruct. In Md. we allow "stand-by" students. Basically if 14 are registered and 12 show up, and you are there waiting. You are in. See if your state does the same.
Good suggestion from viney for dealing with the summer enrollment problem. The Team Oregon course is well worth it, and will make you and your spouse much better and safer riders. And congratulations on the new rides!
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Welcome to the scooter world...it's more fun than you can possibly imagine! :D
Scooting is good for the soul....

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Welcome, from another resident of Portlandia!
Diblit

Post by Diblit »

congrats on your new scooters!! i, too, am a newbie....just got my buddy 125 last week!! i think that i may be going through midlife crisis....quit my old job, went to nursing school and graduated last september, so my buddy is a "graduation gift" to myself!! i'm still learning how to safely navigate it, but have already put 100 miles on it and LOVE IT!! i have registered for the MSF class and am looking forward to it.

Safe scooting to you!!!
silverstreak

Post by silverstreak »

Congrat's you wll love them! Have fun and be safe.
bumditty

Post by bumditty »

Congrats from another pdx two-buddy family! We've got a black 125 and the silver 170i :)

currently waiting on my MSF class so I can be legal though. I did get my permit...might be worth it for you if you know of anyone you could ride with just because it's sooooo hard to not ride it.
anthony

D'oh!

Post by anthony »

Now I know who bought the silver buddy that I wanted! I called the day after and they told me that a couple had bought the last 2 silver 170i's.

I had my heart set on the 170i, so I got the green instead and had them swap out the brown seat & grips for black ones, and it's definitely growing on me. Still, if you ever decide you'd prefer the green...
k1dude

Re: D'oh!

Post by k1dude »

anthony wrote:Now I know who bought the silver buddy that I wanted! I called the day after and they told me that a couple had bought the last 2 silver 170i's.

I had my heart set on the 170i, so I got the green instead and had them swap out the brown seat & grips for black ones, and it's definitely growing on me. Still, if you ever decide you'd prefer the green...
Personally the green is my fav. IMHO you scored!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats! I spent the past 4 days or so riding a 170 and it was a lot of fun!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
amy

Post by amy »

We're all eagerly awaiting a picture!
klr6773

Re: D'oh!

Post by klr6773 »

anthony wrote:Now I know who bought the silver buddy that I wanted! I called the day after and they told me that a couple had bought the last 2 silver 170i's.

LOL...Sorry, Anthony! When we went to pick up the second one the next day she told us someone was looking for a silver one! Wife considered the dark green but after confirming I was fine with matching,went silver as well. The black switch outs sounds like its a sharp look!
klr6773

Post by klr6773 »

amy wrote:We're all eagerly awaiting a picture!

It's actually going to be sunny tomorrow,so we'll get a pic then...shall we wear our matching helmets too? I suspect most people just want to see the Buddys! (Maybe I shouldn't let Anthony know what we look like,since we snagged both of the silver he wanted!) :P LOL...Sorry again, Anthony!
anthony

Post by anthony »

klr6773 wrote:
amy wrote:We're all eagerly awaiting a picture!

It's actually going to be sunny tomorrow,so we'll get a pic then...shall we wear our matching helmets too? I suspect most people just want to see the Buddys! (Maybe I shouldn't let Anthony know what we look like,since we snagged both of the silver he wanted!) :P LOL...Sorry again, Anthony!

It's okay; I had been looking at other scooters and just took too long to decide. By that Tuesday (I believe it was), I was 99% sure, but wanted to give myself a day to make absolutely sure, and Wednesday when I called was when they told me the scooters had been sold. It's all good. The green is growing on me, and it does look pretty nice with the black seat and grips. Maybe I'll post a picture here too when I get one.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Congrats on your purchases, all three of you! I miss mine. Anthony, I'm with you... I switched my seat out for a white one and made my grips black, I thought the brown looked weird ;)