Blur vs Buddy

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dan Buddy

Blur vs Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I am thinking of going to a little faster ride. Currently I have a Buddy 50 but I need a little more speed. Not really comfortable riding in 45mph roads with the 50. Not looking for highway speeds. So I am thinking about getting a Buddy 125 or the Blur sometime over the winter. Who has ridden both and what do you think?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blur vs Buddy

Post by illnoise »

Dan Buddy wrote:I am thinking of going to a little faster ride. Currently I have a Buddy 50 but I need a little more speed. Not really comfortable riding in 45mph roads with the 50. Not looking for highway speeds. So I am thinking about getting a Buddy 125 or the Blur sometime over the winter. Who has ridden both and what do you think?
Search around, there are some other threads on this.

If you're a smaller dude, you might wanna stick to the Buddy 125, it's possibly even a little bit faster than a Blur because it's so much lighter, and if you liked your Buddy 50, there's no reason not to like the 125.

The Blur, in my opinion, handles and brakes much better, and it's just a stronger, bigger, better-engineered frame. I'm a big guy and even though I started out riding old Vespas that were smaller, lighter, and slower than the Buddy, after riding the Blur, the Buddy (and those Vespas) feel a little teeny and rickety to me.

I still think a lot of scooters are bigger than they need to be, but the Blur is the perfect size for me, displacement- and ergonomics-wise. But you'll never know if it's the right fit until you try it out.

As has been pointed out a few times in the past couple days, there are some really good deals on unsold '06 Blurs out there, ask your local dealer, the price difference might not be much, that might sway you towards the Blur too.

And don't forget there are a few good Kymco models in that displacement/price range, too. It's really about finding the bike that makes you happy, aesthetically, ergonomically, and performance..alll.ly.. OK, that's not a word.

B.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Wes Blur

Post by Wes Blur »

Dan,

I had that same dilema when I was looking for a scooter. But I am 6' 3" with very long legs, so I just tried sitting on both of them at the dealer and I couldn't even fit on the buddy.

I don't know if this is even relevent to you, for all I know you're a midget (in which case I would stick with your 50cc.)

For what it's worth,

Wes
louden

I'm in the same boat!

Post by louden »

I'm 6'1" and 220 - would that have a big impact on the choice - or what if I want to ride with two?

Anyone know if there are 2006 closeouts in Seattle or Portland? $3500 is a bit pricier than I'd want to spend, but I see lots of good things about the Blur...
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I am 6'1" 240lbs so I guess I am not a small guy. Leg room is not an issue on the 50 but if Blurs are going for $2400 it may be hard to pass up. I know the local dealer has one in stock but it's the gray & orange. I would prefer the gray & black but...

Heck I painted my Buddy so the Blur may be next. The body panels would be pretty easy to change but the rims my take a little more effort. Maybe a carbon fiber vinyl overlay for the orange body parts. I think whitewalls are out though. :idea:
itcardoc

blur report

Post by itcardoc »

I have 1000km on my 2006 Blur, and like it more each time I ride it. I am 6'2" and 185 and I fit fine on it. I just wish the seat were a little lower and cut back a little further. I ride on an Interstate to work every day and can get 65-70 indicated (probably 60-65 actual). I had a Stella , and at 60 mph I would get blown all over the place. The Blur is very stable at highway speeds and handles and brakes like a sport bike! The price may be ALOT cheaper than the list price for 2006 Blur models. -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!