should i buy this?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bmorebuddy

should i buy this?

Post by bmorebuddy »

I been hearing that there is an upgrade for the engine so i went searching. Went to scooterworks and couldn't fine it...so i went to ebay....check it out and let me know if you think it's a good idea. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50cc-72c ... enameZWDVW
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

question...if you wanted the extra power and speed,why didn't you get the 125?
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

cause the wife and i are both using it, and she didnt feel comfortable with the 125. Dont get me wrong I love the 50, I just want to put some extras on the buddy....just trying to get some input with this.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

How much more power/speed do you want? What sort of improvement do you expect? There are other things you can do before adding a cyllinder kit. They tend to be rather expensive and often don't provide as much extra kick as you'd like.

You can look into upgrading variators, rollers, belts, adding a performance exhaust... Even a windshield can add mpg/mph, which is why it's the first upgrade I'll add.

Also, a cylinder kit will invalidate any warranty coverage of the engine.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I didn't realize a windshield would increase performance. I'm going to be getting my buddy on Wednesday. I can't wait.

I wish the accessories were already here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickyd410 wrote:I didn't realize a windshield would increase performance. I'm going to be getting my buddy on Wednesday. I can't wait.

I wish the accessories were already here.
Well, we may only be talking about a 3 or 4 mph/mpg difference with a windshield, but some riders also report better hill climbing ability and better acceleration.

A windshield will redirect air so it hits you in the chest, under the helmet, or right in the face (depending on the size of the shield and your height/stance). That's still more aerodynamic that your body, which just acts as a big air scoop.

The Buddy windshield looks a little tall to me in the photos but we'll have to wait to see it when the accessories finally ship. I'll probably be getting a 10" windshield for my Vespa first.