My Buddy 170I

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

silverstreak

My Buddy 170I

Post by silverstreak »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I could not be Happier to be a new Buddy 170I owner!. This scooter has plenty of snap at the start and a nice smooth cruising speed of 50-55mph!.I am still looking For BUDDY Owners To ride with in the Akron ohio area!.Not big maxi scooters. If anybody is thinking about a new scoot and you are not planning on interstate rideing you should check out a new buddy 170I.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Yep, like I have said before it is the best scooter for the job (if the job is country road and city driving).
hal888

Post by hal888 »

That's just about right. javascript:emoticon(':)')
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if my wife gets into riding her own, I will justify a 170i :P.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

LOL, I hit the interstate today, :whew:

I took it from the start of I - 270 to Tesson Ferry, and then from Tesson Ferry to Lemay, on 270 and then from Lindbergh Rd to Telegraph on 270. Light traffic and it was a ball. Just one exit at a time and I hit 70 bmph!

I do not think I will be taking any longer trips on the freeway than that...
silverstreak

Interstate

Post by silverstreak »

Wow i have not did the interstate Yet ! not sure if i will!. I do know that this scooter does move down the road with plenty of speed, and i am still breaking mine in.Love scooting on this scoot and find a reason every day to ride it.leave the truck and motorcycle parked and hop on the scooter!!.Have fun and be safe!!!!!!!.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Once it's broken in you should be able to hold 60-65mph too. I just went over 2300 this past weekend on a ride through the Adirondacks, and the scoot has really opened up.
I do not recommend highways... the scoot just doesn't have enough power left over to get you out of the way if someone comes into your lane, it has tiny wheels, and it's just too small and invisible on large interstates.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

AWinn6889 wrote:Once it's broken in you should be able to hold 60-65mph too. I just went over 2300 this past weekend on a ride through the Adirondacks, and the scoot has really opened up.
I do not recommend highways... the scoot just doesn't have enough power left over to get you out of the way if someone comes into your lane, it has tiny wheels, and it's just too small and invisible on large interstates.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

I do not disagree, but there is something to be said for being able to hit the freeway for an exit if needed.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I was on a trip from Baltimore to Northern Virginia and I basically had to take a short section of interstate 70 on my Blur. I didn't like it obviously but it is nice to know that if necessary, it's feasible.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

I love the buddy 170i. The 170cc can be misleading when it comes down to what people think they will feel in the seat. The buddy 150 alone is faster than the kymco Like 200i let alone the 170i. You make an excellent choice and I can't wait to hear more great story's!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Grant H

Post by Grant H »

Just got my 170i a couple days ago. I think its got about 230 miles on it so far and just got the first service done at 170 miles today. Good running fun machine!
bigcanoe

Post by bigcanoe »

Is the seating position cramped, as some reviewers have said?
anemone77

Post by anemone77 »

I just got mine on the 27th and haven't noticed the seat being cramped at all, but depends on your height. I'm only 5'5".
Cpequin

Post by Cpequin »

i love mine! i bought it new in March, i have about 1500 miles on it. i was taking it to work daily, but now that it got hot, i've only been taking it once a week, and working from home the rest of the week. I too have noticed that it cruises all day comfy at 55, but i still have room to hit 60 or more if needed. I'm 5'2" and do my riding on city streets or parkways, and some back highway driving (65 posted limit but i go slower...there's 2 lanes).
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

bigcanoe wrote:Is the seating position cramped, as some reviewers have said?
Buddy's are small scooters, so seating is limited. But not nearly as bad as some other makes and models. Lot's of 6' to 6'5" Buddy owners post here on MB. I'm over 6' and was concerned initially, but found it was no problemo. The long seat allows you to place your arse wherever you need to for the best fit. My concerns were unwarranted and I LOVE my Buddy! It's been 4 years and I still ride around with a really dorky/stupid smile on my face.
Grant H

Post by Grant H »

6'3" here and I fit on my recently purchased 170i just fine. Love the bike. Tons of fun!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Not sure if its my imagination but it seems like Buddy 170 purchases are gaining momentum.Happy to see em catching on more and more.

Heck who knows we could see a Buddy 200i before to long,he he

Ride safely above all..........
Aerosmith, None Other.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

ThreeSheets wrote:I love the buddy 170i. The 170cc can be misleading when it comes down to what people think they will feel in the seat. The buddy 150 alone is faster than the kymco Like 200i let alone the 170i. You make an excellent choice and I can't wait to hear more great story's!
The Buddy 170i is a great scooter.

However, the Buddy 150 is not faster than the Kymco Like 200i. Just Gotta Scoot got 63mph (actual, not indicated) with a 220 pound rider with a brand new engine (same guy tested a new Buddy 150 and got 62mph). So 68-70mph top speed for the Like 200i would be a reasonable guesstimate after the motor is properly run in. Just Gotta Scoot's testing is sometimes a little conservative, but very consistent.

The performance of the Like 200i is more comparable to the Buddy 170i, but the price is only $2599 :wink: