NBR: Kymco Agility owners... advice?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

NBR: Kymco Agility owners... advice?

Post by neotrotsky »

OK, so long story short: I may have finally found my Stella, but it's a "project" to be sure. It's, well.... not running. Engine is out. That's cool with me but I also found out my wife just got a job with the Fed :shock: :D

This means we need wheels BEFORE the start of the season at my job, and that means cheap wheels I can trust. My wife actually has been turned on to the idea of the Kymco Agility because of it's rep and 2 year warranty. She suggested it to me thinking I'd turn my nose up on a "plastic" scooter, but when it comes to practicality and my family, I have to concede that Kymco is a great scooter. I'm still focused on the Stella happening, but this? Can't turn down a logical idea.

So, Agility owners: What's the real scoop? I've read a ton elsewhere, but haven't got my hands on one. And what was your price out-the-door? Thanks! :)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Not that I have anything negative to say about the Agility - I hear they are a fair amount for the money (I'm sure others with personal experience will chime in). But I have to ask, how about a Buddy? I see brand new 125s in Phoenix for $2195 and an '09 for $1690. (this is Modern Buddy after all, so I had to bring it up :wink: )

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcd/3089878401.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/3111434498.html
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

the Agility 125cc has a $1799 msrp....Kymco has great finance terms available.....
1.9% APR for up to 36 Months
"On a purchase made between now and 9/30/2012 where the Amount Financed is $1,999, your Down Payment is $0 with 36 monthly payments of $60.74 each. On all new and unregistered KYMCO ATVs, Side X Sides, Motorcycles and Scooters purchased from a participating KYMCO USA dealer. Offer ends 9/30/2012. Offer subject to change without notice. "
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I've never ridin one. yet I've never heard anything bad about them either.

Is'nt the Agility only a 50cc?

edit* nevermind on the 50cc thing...
k1dude

Re: NBR: Kymco Agility owners... advice?

Post by k1dude »

neotrotsky wrote:OK, so long story short: I may have finally found my Stella, but it's a "project" to be sure. It's, well.... not running. Engine is out.
Oh no. Not again. :fp:

You're a glutton for punishment. Do you feel like you're living in "Groundhog Day."

I'd buy the Agility and leave it at that. From all reports it's an excellent scooter for the money.
La

Post by La »

There are both 50cc and 125cc agility scooters. I did a test ride on a 125cc agility and really enjoyed it. The seat was a little too hard for me but otherwise a great ride.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I have thought long and hard about the buddy. I love the engineering, but it falls short in the appearance and size. I simply just don't like the way it looks. That, and every dimension just makes me feel a bit cramped everywhere. Its not a bad machine at all... Just not a physical or stylistic fit for me. But the Stella for me is where it's at! And, I am hardly some mechanical idiot so restoring a scoot is a fun idea for me. I simply don't have the luxury to use the resto scoot as my daily driver.

And I know which scooter you speak of on sale. Its from a great dealer, bit in orange. Bleh. That compounded with the small ergos just doesn't work. And, for a daily driver a 2 year warranty and new bike for less than the msrp on a discounted buddy sound pretty good, especially coming from kymco

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Kymco makes some really good equipment. I've had a People S200, currently have an Xciting 500, and help with maintaining a Super9. The 2009 People has over 9000 miles on it currently and has only needed to have standard maintenance. When the checks were made for the top end, the gap was dead on. The 2007 Xciting is the same... quickly approaching the 20K mark. The Super9 was a bit modded with better pipe, intake, jets and heavily upgraded transmission... only thing that his needed (after 7000 miles) was a new belt.

So, for reliability... I've been impressed with Kymco.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

spr0k3t wrote:Kymco makes some really good equipment. I've had a People S200, currently have an Xciting 500, and help with maintaining a Super9. The 2009 People has over 9000 miles on it currently and has only needed to have standard maintenance. When the checks were made for the top end, the gap was dead on. The 2007 Xciting is the same... quickly approaching the 20K mark. The Super9 was a bit modded with better pipe, intake, jets and heavily upgraded transmission... only thing that his needed (after 7000 miles) was a new belt.

So, for reliability... I've been impressed with Kymco.
This is a major reason for looking at an Agility. For a brand new warrantied bike OTD, there really isn't anything cheaper with that much quality. I've had a chance to sit on one (one of the girls in the music department at Phoenix College has one) and it fit well. The best part was that my arms were at a comfortable length without being too back in the seat. For my freakishly long Orangutang arms, this is a huge plus.

Yes, it's as bland as they come. But, this is for daily driving. I put 70 to 100 miles a day on my machine between my home theater, other gigs and full time school. And now with my wife's new job, I need bulletproof. I would just buy another Suzuki Vitara but our budget doesn't allow for a second car AND a bike, and the fuel would just kill us. The Buddy is well built, there is no denying that. And, I still love Genuine and will still have a Genuine bike (albeit in pieces for a few months) in the family. But, for a turn-key, dead reliable scoot this is so far winning. That and being over a grand cheaper than a Buddy out the door is pretty damn good. That leaves more money for things I need such as sound gear for work, dental work and a whole host of other things we've been doing without.

pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

neotrotsky wrote: The best part was that my arms were at a comfortable length without being too back in the seat. For my freakishly long Orangutang arms, this is a huge plus.
:D
I thought I was the only one with that problem. I very seldom where long sleeve shirts for this reason and never buy jackets online with out trying them on first.
That is what I liked about the Buddy, I sat very comfortably on the seat and was able to sit flat footed.
Sounds like you have your mind made up, can't wait to see the pics of the Stella and the Kymco.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

As an Agility owner and rider I will say its a fun scooter to ride. Next to a Buddy, which I have just 2000 miles on, it feels big. It is a big small scooter. With the Agility both my size 13's fit square on the floor. On the Buddy I have made due with my right foot on the "curve" of the floorboard and my left foot resting on the passenger "peg." It does feel sporty, though.

But sure, the Agility is roomy for a small scooter. It's also somewhat of a tall riding scooter. The seat is thick and high and I never have trouble seeing over cars ahead of me. Or through the rear windows of oversized trucks and SUVs in my path.

Build quality is good imo. Nothing has fallen off of it, broken off, or gone loose. I am hard on the switch gear and it's held up. It's a basic looking scooter but the materials used would seem durable. At least on the surface. i have not been underneath the seat much. But when I did have a look around all seemed in order in the engine compartment. or w/e it's called on a scooter?

I ride it everyday and like it more and more. Or am at least comfortable riding it. The underseat storage is ample and can fit a lot of stuff, and even a XXL FF helmet of some brands. Yet my SparX XL doesn't fit? Argh!

The scooter handles well imo. Not as well as the BJ but that goes without saying. Now that I am a more skilled rider i can say the Agility can hold its own on the same roads i ride with the BJ. Some complain about the tires. I have had no complaints, myself. My first rear went at a bit over 5,000 miles. It gave good service.

Handling? Idk its a scooter, after all. I would say stable and surefooted. Hard breaking doesn't upset things and the scooter is indeed nimble. Avoiding SoCal cagers on a daily basis I have swerved, sped, braked, balanced, honked, and skidded to safety on many occasion. The scooter itself always remained predictable and never let me down.

I don't know much about scooters as I have only rode two in my entire life, but riding the Agility feels like I am riding something capable. I can go 25 miles no problem. Everyday? I don't do it but a 30 mile round trip to work and back would be good fun. I find it comfortable enough.

I ride WOT quite a lot. The engine likes WOT. Acceleration off the line is decent and you will beat most cars not trying to beat you. It's a scooter so you know the deal. But it has no trouble whatsoever keeping up with traffic and getting through it.

It looks fastest in red :P

After living with mine awhile I do think it's the best color for it.

Lot's of black plastic. Easy to keep black with some conditioner. One of the big negatives for me is the wide, hard plastic floorboard. I don't like it and plan to put some rubber down. Been thinking that for a year, though. Quick wax on the rest of it. It's easy to keep clean.

Performance next to a Buddy 150 is comparable top end, not as quick off the line, if Buddy 150 is going up a hill the Agility is going up same hill 10mph slower. I go up a good long hill daily. With a good start I maintain 37mph on a 30mph stretch of lonesome hill. Not bad.

It doesn't like the cold too much. Needs a good 15-20 mins of riding to get the engine flexible. Expect a stall or two at a stop sign or two. In the cold, I mean.

My engine blew at 2400 miles. Kymco replaced it, the work performed at a dealer other then my own. No troubles, though. It was a painless process. So yes, the warranty is stood behind by company and dealers, apparently. No problems in the several thousand miles since.

If you DIY for oil and the small things the first replacement of any parts besides tires will most likely come at 10,000m.

I like it. Its fun to ride, rides tall, and is practical. I can flat foot the Buddy. No can do on the Agility. So it doesn't feel tiny. I am 6'2 btw.

If you want a "nice" inexpensive scooter look to the Cali Classic or Lance Habana imo. But they will most likely be pokey compared to the Agility and not as fun to ride. However they are more traditionally styled and have a classic look. The Agility looks like someone took a scooter and slapped some basic MC garb on it.

I get many positive comments from people who don't otherwise like scooters. But it won't blend into that row of Vespa's parked alongside it, thats for sure. Or Fiddles or Vino's, for that matter.
Last edited by JHScoot on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

pumpedoncaffeine wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: The best part was that my arms were at a comfortable length without being too back in the seat. For my freakishly long Orangutang arms, this is a huge plus.
:D
I thought I was the only one with that problem. I very seldom where long sleeve shirts for this reason and never buy jackets online with out trying them on first.
That is what I liked about the Buddy, I sat very comfortably on the seat and was able to sit flat footed.
Sounds like you have your mind made up, can't wait to see the pics of the Stella and the Kymco.
I am set, but I want to just gauge people real-world experience living with the bike. I didn't do that enough with the Ratter and totally paid for it. I expected more out of it than what it was capable (silly me, thinking that it would hold up to what a Stella/P-series could take). There's alot of positive press anywhere you look for particular bikes, but to find out the persistent problems you tend to have to dig. So far, I've really found none with the Agility other than the cheap price and the bare-bones basic amenities, which suits me just fine.

I was interested in a few of their other offerings, but upon hearing the Agility is pretty much as quick as their other 125cc offerings and only the Buddy has it beat on acceleration, I was swayed. The Like for some reason has begun to interest me. I know I wasn't too keen on it before, but fuel injection, front AND rear disc brakes and the sight of it with a chrome kit has kind of piqued my interest. Odds are the Agility will be the winner month after next since the price is so ridiculously low. The only problem will be finding a dealer that isn't price gouging it or who has it in stock. Many dealers in Arizona are charging $2,050US MSRP when the website clearly says $1,799US. It may not seem like much, but it says alot about a dealer when they nickle and dime you. And MotoCity, the dealer that most in the Phoenix area trust, is pretty up front with its fees.

The only other dealers for Kymco in the Phoenix area that I know of are either unproven and don't keep bikes in stock, or is a shifty as frak hack shop that sells Chinese scooters, gopeds and whatever junk to uninformed college students and has failed on countless other attempts after my giving them a second, third and fourth chance.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Here is a guy riding around on some City Grips trying to upset the Agility

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vWG0QSvBE0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:
pumpedoncaffeine wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: ...or is a shifty as frak hack shop that sells Chinese scooters, gopeds and whatever junk to uninformed college students and has failed on countless other attempts after my giving them a second, third and fourth chance.
But has never failed me. Never can tell, I guess.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:
pumpedoncaffeine wrote: But has never failed me. Never can tell, I guess.
Wasn't talking bad about the Sym, man. I'm talking about the dealership. They sell the crap Chinese bikes, kick scooters, "tweaker" gopeds and whatever else they can to turn a profit. No, I have NOT forgiven them for taking my Vespa which drove in under it's own power but had to be taken by truck OUT of there. Who goes with a running bike only to leave with a non-running bike? :evil:

So, when it comes to dealers, I don't even consider them a legit business. And we know of the shop I speak of.

Your Sym? Never had issue with them, and the wife wants a Symba so I can't be negative on that :P They have a decent rep and after the first of the year we're probably pulling the trigger to get her one if we can find one NOT from *them*

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Looking around again, it seems that dealer in Avondale that had an orange Buddy 125 for sale for 2195 also has two 2012 Kymco Like 200i's for 2095 plus fees ($299 flat + tax+ title/tag).

Interesting...

izark47

Post by izark47 »

I don't have a lot of experience as of yet but I recently bought a 2010 Kymco agility 125 to add to my stable. It was a deal i could not pass up as it had 23.6 km on it. A person had won it in a raffle and never used it. I of course have a 2009 Stella and MzStella needed some company for my SO to ride with me. Well a couple of things I have noticed, MzStella is stock , no mods as of yet, but Kim is much faster both off the line and top speed. When we bought it I rode it home on a rural highway at 60 with no issues. The bike does have 12 inch wheels and actually is better suited for Highway than the 10 inch on the Stella. The seat does not allow much scooting back for a motorcycle type ride. It is smooth and very capable bike so far. it is as you know a twist and go type bike and I do have a problem with pulling the clutch in if I'm not thinking about it. It starts easily and mine seems to not love really hot weather at start up. I will know better after I do the first service on it as with that low of mileage it has not had it done. Let me just say this, I got the bike and rode it home, but never get to ride it much as my Lovely SO has it most of the time and she is very happy with it. And the fact that it goes faster than my stock Stella is just fine, when she is in front the view is always good, lol.
Born to be Mild!!!
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

If you are looking at a Kymco, FYI their warranties are transferrable, so if you can find a slightly used one at a better price (which is what I did) i'd so go for that. I got my Like with 1.5 years left on it. :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

neotrotsky wrote:Looking around again, it seems that dealer in Avondale that had an orange Buddy 125 for sale for 2195 also has two 2012 Kymco Like 200i's for 2095 plus fees ($299 flat + tax+ title/tag).
Now you're talking :wink: ! Sounds to me that you are onto something here. I am very impressed by the Like 200 and it is even good looking IMHO. Essentially the Buddy 170i with a different look at a better price. Go for it!
Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:
Syd wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: Wasn't talking bad about the Sym, man. I'm talking about the dealership. They sell the crap Chinese bikes, kick scooters, "tweaker" gopeds and whatever else they can to turn a profit. No, I have NOT forgiven them for taking my Vespa which drove in under it's own power but had to be taken by truck OUT of there. Who goes with a running bike only to leave with a non-running bike? :evil:

So, when it comes to dealers, I don't even consider them a legit business. And we know of the shop I speak of.

Your Sym? Never had issue with them, and the wife wants a Symba so I can't be negative on that :P They have a decent rep and after the first of the year we're probably pulling the trigger to get her one if we can find one NOT from *them*
I'm not talking about the bike either (which did give me a couple problems at first). I'm talking about the dealer. They have never given me a problem. Yes they sell some Chinascoots and GoPeds and other stuff that 60,000+ ASU students might find interesting. And yeah, they are just trying to turn a profit. Last time I checked that's what we are all trying to do in life, right. :) But I've never had problems with service or support from them.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I wish I had a dealer that would have discounts like that. The Buddy and the Like are incredible deals. I'd be happy with either.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

WOO-HOO I HIT OVER 70MPH INDICATED ON MY AGILITY 125 IN THE SOCAL HEAT TODAY. FIRST TIME EVER!!!!

ok 70mph indicated is 63mph actual but still pretty good :D
Riding is riding
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

[quote="BeefSupreme"]If you are looking at a Kymco, FYI their warranties are transferrable, so if you can find a slightly used one at a better price (which is what I did) i'd so go for that. I got my Like with 1.5 years left on it. :D[/quote

Always been curious as to why some Scooter Companies dont allow warranty transfers between owners??? What is the thinking behind this policy?

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
Syd

Post by Syd »

BuddyLicious wrote:
BeefSupreme wrote:If you are looking at a Kymco, FYI their warranties are transferrable, so if you can find a slightly used one at a better price (which is what I did) i'd so go for that. I got my Like with 1.5 years left on it. :D[/quote

Always been curious as to why some Scooter Companies dont allow warranty transfers between owners??? What is the thinking behind this policy?

Tim
$
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

JHScoot wrote:WOO-HOO I HIT OVER 70MPH INDICATED ON MY AGILITY 125 IN THE SOCAL HEAT TODAY. FIRST TIME EVER!!!! ok 70mph indicated is 63mph actual but still pretty good :D
Was that downhill with the wind at your back?
Last edited by k1dude on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ nope. it was on a flat 4 lane avenue called Huntington Drive here in SoCal. I ride it all the time as it's a half block from me. Sign is posted 45mph and folks were really moving on it today. I just kept moving along with all the cagers and before i knew it....70mph!

I think I even had to pull back a little bit :shock:
Riding is riding
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Nice! Were you drafting a car or truck? That helps alot.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I was just rollin' :D

Wish I had a camera the scooter usually peaks out on that stretch at 62-65mph indicated. But today in over 90F temps it got to 70mph with not much fuss tbh

Not much drafting going on. I was in the far left lane (fast lane) with traffic moving fast all around. Nothing to my left but a wide median and nothing to my right but cagers getting passed by a scooter going near 65mph. I was trapped in the fast lane their was nothing I could do lol. The car ahead gaining speed and the car behind moving along behind me I just kept....keeping up :helmet:

So yeah 70mph indicated. Wish I had a vid camera just to document into my personal scooter history log :lol:

Riders at the Kymco board have told of such stories, but I always thought 'nonsense!' I weigh 250lb btw

So I like riding like that sometimes. And the scooter felt more stable at 70mph indicated then 60 or 65mph. It hit a spot where it just smoothed out.

Here is a guy getting 70mph out of his. My speedo is 10% off btw. Which is what many Agility owners report

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s91r1raLt6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I like what I hear about the Agility, but if those Like 200's are around when I go for a bike (which may be as soon as next week), it's looking more and more like the "like" will be the winner. For the amenities at that price, I seriously cannot pass up that kind of deal. I like the back end Lambretta look and kind of wish they followed it up front, but the front AND rear disc, fuel injection and larger wheelbase are all great things you won't find on a scooter without spending twice the cash.

If they don't have it, I'll order an Agility 125 and hope to keep it to under 2300 OTD

lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

neotrotsky wrote:I like what I hear about the Agility, but if those Like 200's are around when I go for a bike (which may be as soon as next week), it's looking more and more like the "like" will be the winner. For the amenities at that price, I seriously cannot pass up that kind of deal. I like the back end Lambretta look and kind of wish they followed it up front, but the front AND rear disc, fuel injection and larger wheelbase are all great things you won't find on a scooter without spending twice the cash.

If they don't have it, I'll order an Agility 125 and hope to keep it to under 2300 OTD
I looked a like 200i over at the dealer 2 weeks ago. It was a nice looking scoot but the I disliked the floorboard, its thick. Seat height seems lower than a buddy and the thicker floorboard eats up legroom, pushing my knees higher than the seat. The dealer mechanic was in love though. I like the agility too. Its certainly priced right, it seems top speed is good on these. People talk about the chinese assembly like its going to fall apart, I think those opinions are unfounded. Used ones in my area are listed $1300-2000=good resale value. Not a big aftermarket but autotech355 has some goodies on ebay.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The floorboard is actually something that is actually making me think about this bike. I have long arms, but short legs (30 inch inseam @ 6' tall). So, it just may work. I am hoping to get to the dealer next week when I have time to get the skinny on this scoot. We need a transportation solution by the 23rd. The only problem is that it will be two months before I'm confident in securing all of the cash to buy one outright. But, next week I want to look into options. At this price, it is tempting...

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think all things considered the 200i sounds like the way to go if the deal is right. It offers minimal underseat storage compared with the Agility, but that is what the included top box is for. And you can lock a helmet on, or use the underseat hooks. Which I believe it has.

A bit more power on hand when you need it, good looks, FI. At the price you suggested you could get one for it sounds good.

Expect the performance of a 150, of course. Even if one with FI. Like Buddy the only difference between the Kymco 125 and 150 and 163 (163 lol) is the cylinder and piston size. Which is understood more by you folks then a newb like me. But I am pretty sure 13cc means squat.
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:shock:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Mm3K6aMu98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> :
Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

JHScoot wrote:i think all things considered the 200i sounds like the way to go if the deal is right. It offers minimal underseat storage compared with the Agility, but that is what the included top box is for. And you can lock a helmet on, or use the underseat hooks. Which I believe it has.

A bit more power on hand when you need it, good looks, FI. At the price you suggested you could get one for it sounds good.

Expect the performance of a 150, of course. Even if one with FI. Like Buddy the only difference between the Kymco 125 and 150 and 163 (163 lol) is the cylinder and piston size. Which is understood more by you folks then a newb like me. But I am pretty sure 13cc means squat.
The obvious factor of it not being a true 200cc is well known, so I'm not worried about it. As for the top trunk? That tumor has GOT to go. Makes it look more like a Chinese scooter with that thing. I'm just not a fan of top boxes at all. And, I honestly don't get the obsession with trying to shove a helmet into the bike and it being a must-have feature. I spend enough money on my helmet that it comes *with* me anywhere I go.

The Fuel Injection and front/rear disc really sell it for me. When it came out at first I wasn't impressed with the styling, but I just can't get over the engineering. I *really* like the simplicity and rep of the Buddy, but it'st that damned fit that I just can't get over. I just don't fit on the bike.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

So, update on the new commuter bike:

Did more research, and sure enough the shop I was looking at has the best deals on Genuine Scooters and Kymcos in the state. Cool. And, I've come to several decisions. Each one is their asking price BEFORE $299 total fees, tax, and license/tags:

-'12 Genuine Buddy 125cc @ 2195. ONLY in Orange. Not keen on that.
-'12 Kymco Agility 125cc @ 1799 (yes, they have one on the showroom floor!). And the one I know they have in stock is silver. Score!
-'12 Kymco Like 200i @ 2095. One creme and one red. Tasteful.

They also have 4T Stellas @ $2995, but I'm trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible since we're dealing with a limited budget and we're also having to plan ANOTHER move here in about a month and a half. They also have a good deal on a Super 8 150 but I just can't dig the looks on that at all. It's kind of a difficult decision since I love the options for customization and accessories of the Buddy, but it just still seems too small. The Agility is the best price (and yes, even a matter of $300 is important budget wise) and has a great rep for being the most bang for the buck. The Like comes with a TON of great features that make the Buddy seem pedestrian, but I'm not totally sold on it's looks. It's not "bad", but not soul stirring. To be honest, none of these get me thrilled appearance wise, but I have to keep telling myself it's not about the looks... even when my heart insists that I can sell some audio gear to get the Stella :P (And that's not an actual option. It's my lust that is dictating that thought process, and we all know where that got me with my last Vespa)

I appreciate the input from fellow Agility owners. It helps me to know if it's worth weighing in my decision and from everything everyone has said, it sure sounds like a strong option. But, the biggest trick is getting either financed on them ASAP or holding out hoping the sales last until the mid/end of September when I get the funding in cash.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If it makes any difference, the Buddy and Like are discounted heavily. The Agility is being sold at MSRP.

If money is the primary criteria, then the choice is made. The Agility wins purely on price.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

while i understand budget being of primary concern i too think the Like / Buddy offers too much savings to pass up. all other things being equal. and most Like owners like the scooter a lot.

The Buddy? Great. But it is smaller and a color you don't like. The Like also has more top end

The Agility is good, but not discounted. The Like and Buddy are not budget scooters but currently priced as one at this shop. Those are great deals. I got MY Agility for $1600OTD. So that may also help in my talking it up. However if it were me all over again but in YOUR spot....I would want the Like, I am sure
Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, the smaller size and the fact that the Buddy is still the most expensive may rule it out. If it were a 170i I could try to love the fit, simply because of the Fuel Injection and speed.

I still don't know why everyone harps on the Agility being the only one at MSRP when it's still the cheapest option. At the end of the day it's the same cash being spent on all of the bikes, so I'm not worried about how I get to the price. I can only assume the Agility isn't discounted simply because it's probably the easier scooter to sell, so why discount what is already the cheapest bike. And, every other dealer is asking $2,049 and have a bunch of other fees. When it comes to buying durable goods in Arizona, there is no such thing as an honest business. I've had an easier time finding ANYTHING cheaper while living in California, Brooklyn or Dallas than I have in Phoenix. Everything bought local is almost always more expensive than retail, only to be sold on "sale" at regular price at times. This is a state of tightwads and they assume everyone is uneducated on comparison shopping. Any visit to any auto or motorcycle dealer that sells the "popular" name brand bikes and cars will show that it's easier to buy a car in the UK than deal with the chaos here.

The Like makes alot of sense, but will remain to be seen until early this next week when I can get down there and make a full visit since I don't have much interaction with these two bikes. Either one will be utility, and the end goal is still a fully rebuilt Stella by the end of the Spring. Fit is the biggest concern since I will be spending ALOT of time (about 100 miles/day for 6 days a week minimum) on this bike, and all of it in-town and heavy traffic.

Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I'm not terribly worried because I'm more interested in a zero mile bike with a full 2-year warranty. A used bike is an option and we may consider that yet, but right now we have to look to financing since her job starts the 23rd. If we can hold off by using one car only, then with cash in hand in September I can have more liberty. But, I think this time around I've found that unless it's a Stella/P-series with room to work on it (and able to pass emissions :roll: ) a used bike is just too iffy for the durability I need. My old Stella could take everything I threw at it, and my P200e never failed me once, even if it couldn't pass the smog nazis in Maricopa County.

That, and Tucson may or may not be an option depending on what my work schedule has. When the semester starts at ASU, I will probably be working 6 days a week while doing 22 credits myself this semester. If it's a great deal, I'll make the time but if I have to call out on a day to get a bike, spend the fuel to get there and get a carrier/trailer to get it back, it won't be worth the financial loss of taking that day off. While Avondale FEELS like it's all the way in Arizona when driving there during rush hour, it's alot closer :P

Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

A used Agility was my first "real" scoot and I beat on that thing, rode it year-round in MIchigan, installed heated grips, a windscreen and a top box, and changed out the rollers to something lighter. It never complained and would top a real 60 easily. I sold it for $100 less than I bought it for after putting almost 7k on it. Get the Agility (a "full size" scoot) and never look back. I only sold it because I really wanted a Blur... the Agility would be a perfect scoot to keep around after you "move up" as it's easy to ride and dead reliable.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I am interested in adding either the Buddy 125 or the Agility 125 to my garage.

The local dealer wants $2400is OTD for the Agility 125 and $2800ish OTD for the Buddy 125.

I think I will be looking for a used bike or shopping other dealerships if I decide that I'd like to have the warranty.

What kinds of OTD prices for new are you guys seeing in 2013?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Whimscootie wrote:The local dealer wants $2400is OTD for the Agility 125 and $2800ish OTD for the Buddy 125.
Those seem like reasonable OTD prices to me. (don't be too mislead by a year old discussion above on a couple of new old stock bikes)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Whimscootie wrote:I am interested in adding either the Buddy 125 or the Agility 125 to my garage.

The local dealer wants $2400is OTD for the Agility 125 and $2800ish OTD for the Buddy 125.

I think I will be looking for a used bike or shopping other dealerships if I decide that I'd like to have the warranty.

What kinds of OTD prices for new are you guys seeing in 2013?
based on MSRP $2800OTD is a good deal on the Buddy. it's a discount price as $2800 is in fact MSRP. so no fees or applicable taxes are being added. not much, anyway. "$2800ish"

the Agility is retail plus $500 for all the rest. a fair deal. so far as prices this summer they are where they always are in summer. full retail and up. although sales and discounts can be found. as said that Buddy 125 sounds good to me

so far as the scooters i own and ride both. the Buddy came second so my Agility is preferred and it does "fit" me better. the Buddy has more off the line pop and is peppier across the power band. however they are both small engine scooters so you can't expect miracles. and my Buddy is a 150 if that matters much? i don't think it does all other things being equal

Buddy has better aesthetic quality and finish and looks like a retro scoot with a modern touch. Agility looks how it looks :D

either are good, Agility is bigger and more suitable for longer rides if long legged and big of foot
Riding is riding
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Don't forget about the Lance Cali Classic 125, Lance PCH 125, and the Tomos Nitro 150.

All of them are under $2000 and have a bit more "room" than the Buddy 125.
They are all made by SYM. The Tomos Nitro 150 is the most powerful, equal to a Buddy 150 in performance.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gitsum79 wrote:Don't forget about the Lance Cali Classic 125, Lance PCH 125, and the Tomos Nitro 150. All of them are under $2000 and have a bit more "room" than the Buddy 125. They are all made by SYM. The Tomos Nitro 150 is the most powerful, equal to a Buddy 150 in performance.
"Made by Sym" may be something of an overstatement. As I understand it, they are all built in mainland China and distributed though Sym. You can hope they are manufactured with Sym oversight. I don't know about that.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Lance scooters and the Tomos Nitro 150 are manufactured with Taiwanese parts and assembled in mainland China just like the Agility 125 (Honda does the same thing on some of it's models). These are not low quality "Chinese made" machines.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gitsum79 wrote:Lance scooters and the Tomos Nitro 150 are manufactured with Taiwanese parts and assembled in mainland China
I can't imagine there is any Taiwanese-built scooter that does not use some parts sourced in China. Certainly scooters such as the Lance built in mainland China use many Chinese parts as well. The issue with Chinese manufactured products is the level of quality control exercised in the manufacturing plant. Sometimes quality is good, sometimes goods are built to a price and quality suffers.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

I'm certain you can find some Chinese manufactured parts on a Genuine, Piaggio, or even a Honda.

Major scooter manufacturers that outsource assembly to mainland China have a reputation to protect and know how to make sure quality control meets their strict standards.

I have owned scooters manufactured in Japan and Taiwan, as well as Japanese and Taiwanese scooters assembled in mainland China. The quality is the same, the mainland China assembled scooters did not show any more mechanical or durability issues compared to their Japan or China counterparts.

BMW, Piaggio, and Honda have all had products assembled in China, as well as others.

SYM produces more scooters world wide than any other manufacturer. This includes Piaggio/Vespa, Honda, Kymco, Genuine, ect.

I think Genuine could be more competitive with Kymco if they assembled their scooters in China and sold them at a cheaper price...
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Okay neo, we're almost a month down the road from your last post here... what happened?

I butt-fitted an Agility and a Like, and much, MUCH preferred the Agility. The Like jammed my knees up too close to the bars. I read some reviews that talked about the Like being surprisingly poor-performing (read: slow) for the engine size... several people had topped out at 55mph, something that any decent 125cc can pull off.

Honestly, I thought the Agility was the best fit of any scooter I sat on that day (aside from the People S, which seemed considerably larger). I'm 6' even with a 32" inseam. The only reason I really didn't pursue it was the top speed... I was concerned that it might not withstand WOT well, and I needed a constant 55-60 mph travel speed.

~SM