Why is my Prima Pipe discoloring?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JettaKnight

Why is my Prima Pipe discoloring?

Post by JettaKnight »

OK, I understand the pipe from the head, but why is it discoloring near the outlet?
Attachments
PICT0041.JPG
PICT0041.JPG (92.35 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Looks like someone or something has been touching it with some kind of oil. The oils in your hand will do that. You can clean it up with some serious elbow grease and a good quality chrome cleaner.
mattgordon

jetting

Post by mattgordon »

Looks like you've upsized, and added the pipe. Did you upjet too?
Sounds like its running too lean, and therefore too hot....
ScooterTrash

Re: jetting

Post by ScooterTrash »

mattgordon wrote:Looks like you've upsized, and added the pipe. Did you upjet too?
x2 looks like its way too lean. What color is it by the head? Mine never went past gold right by the head
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

It is quite common for stainless steel headers or mufflers to turn gold in color, this is caused by normal heat.

Nothing to worry about unless they are turning blue, which means too much heat, engine running too lean.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Holy Smokes!!! It's Scootertrash!!! Where the hell have you been? It's been forever since I last saw one of your posts. You've been missed.

Now where is Kaos?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yeah, I gotta wonder, what does the header look like? Gold? Blue? And what's the extent?

If it's not too discolored, I would try to clean that up with chrome polish as suggested and see if it comes back. If it does, I wonder if there is something amiss with your particular pipe.

My entire header is golden but not blue. Plug looks OK. Pipe has about 25K miles on it.
Is that OK or could I be running too hot since it's not golden just up near the exhaust port?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

gitsum79 wrote:It is quite common for stainless steel headers or mufflers to turn gold in color, this is caused by normal heat.

Nothing to worry about unless they are turning blue, which means too much heat, engine running too lean.
It is common but on these scoots not that far down the pipe
k1dude wrote:Holy Smokes!!! It's Scootertrash!!! Where the hell have you been? It's been forever since I last saw one of your posts. You've been missed.

Now where is Kaos?
I sold mine about a year ago and went through a couple old Jap bikes. Now I'm rocking the wifes Buddy and missing my old one :lol:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ScooterTrash wrote:I sold mine about a year ago and went through a couple old Jap bikes. Now I'm rocking the wifes Buddy and missing my old one :lol:
Maybe it's time to get a 170i to see what kind of voodoo you can work with it.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

k1dude wrote:Holy Smokes!!! It's Scootertrash!!! Where the hell have you been? It's been forever since I last saw one of your posts. You've been missed.

Now where is Kaos?
:+!: :+!:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

ScooterTrash wrote:
mattgordon wrote:Looks like you've upsized, and added the pipe. Did you upjet too?
x2 looks like its way too lean. What color is it by the head? Mine never went past gold right by the head
I pulled the carb, looks like I put in a 110 main jet. I removed that and made and installed a 120. I'll give that a shot.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

JettaKnight wrote: I pulled the carb, looks like I put in a 110 main jet. I removed that and made and installed a 120. I'll give that a shot.
NOPE!

Ran horrible when I opened up the throttle - way too rich so back to the 110. Could it be that is runs lean at idle and low throttle? But that shouldn't cause discoloring, right?