Buddy's first loooong trip

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Aguacate

Buddy's first loooong trip

Post by Aguacate »

Unfortunately it will be in a moving van as we move from TX to MD. The Army pays for shipping, any suggestions to make sure he makes the trip without damage and best way to make sure he starts up and runs well when he gets there? I admit I am a little worried but no way I can ride him there ;)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Mostly just keep him upright the whole way. If you can, use enough tie-down straps, tightened enough, to hold him upright without putting him on the center stand; the scooter's shocks are better suited to taking bumps in the road. Also, if he's not on the stand, he can't fall off it. Surrounding him with heavy furniture and/or the walls of the van, with bulky soft stuff in between (mattress, duvets, bundles of clothing) will minimize the damage if he does tip/roll.
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

thanks for suggestions! we will watch the packers like a hawk :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

I use Canyon Dancer straps when transporting either the scoot or MCs. Makes life a little easier and more secure.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You'll need to check with the movers on whether the scooter will be able to ride inside the truck. I think there are regulations on having gas/oil inside a closed vehicle.

In any case, it might be a good idea to take the mirrors off for the trip. It's just a hex nut and removing will eliminate the possibility of breakage.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It'll be best to take most of the gas out anyways for a trip like this.

If you cannot have the scooter properly tied down in the moving van, can you trailer it out yourself?

Another option (if the Army is paying) is to have the scooter shipped.

Forward Air will tie your scooter down in a crate. http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp
I know several people who have used them and give good reviews.

Another option (for a budget) might be U-Ship, but since the carriers vary, it's more of a crapshoot.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

Army will have it packed with our household goods...so it will travel in moving van with all our stuff. Trailering not an option as we are pulling our camper already. They pack those vans like tetris so stuff doesn't usually shift too much. I was wondering what to expect on other end too...hopefully just gas up and go? Will let u guys know if I get more info
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

ericalm wrote:It'll be best to take most of the gas out anyways for a trip like this.
+1 on removing or riding most of the gas out of it. I do this whenever I trailer my scoot. The first time I trailered I had the tank full when I arrived it took some time to start... sounded as if the carb was flooded. Ever since that time I make sure the tank is around 1/4 or less.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: Buddy's first loooong trip

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Aguacate wrote:Unfortunately it will be in a moving van as we move from TX to MD. The Army pays for shipping, any suggestions to make sure he makes the trip without damage and best way to make sure he starts up and runs well when he gets there? I admit I am a little worried but no way I can ride him there ;)
I'd try to use canyon dancers with wratchet straps on the handlebars, then another wratchet strap through the rear wheel to secure it in both directions. Make sure nothing will fall or put pressure on it in motion, take off the mirrors too. Put it far forward in the truck so the front wheel is against the wall, or put a large enough wood chock in front of it. Then wratchet it down hard so it compresses the shocks.

Where are you heading to in MD?

In Annapolis, check out this meetup group...
http://www.meetup.com/AnnapolisScooterClub/

In the DC area, come check out my local meetup group...
http://www.meetup.com/dcspindoctors/

There are also some Charm City Scooter Club riders in Baltimore, but I can't find a website they use.