Versa Haul

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Versa Haul

Post by Rob »

Does anyone have any experience with the Versa Haul VH-55 RO?
http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

I received an email from Scooterworks with a listing for this product (no price listed but I'll find that shortly). I already have a trailer that I use and that is ideal when I'm hauling multiple machines around, but it's a bit of overkill and sometime a pain when I'm just hauling the scoot.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
scudder

Post by scudder »

I know a guy that has one for his moped and it works just fine. I am sure it would work for a scooter just as well.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I have no experience with these. I've read some reviews of people who really like them. Me, I wouldn't want to put all that weight on the back springs of our truck, have the side to side of the truck wobble (seems like it would, anyhow, due to slight slop in the receiver connection) and have to try to push and balance my bike way up high as I was securing it...and finding a way to secure it to my truck. Then again, some people really like them, so to each, his own, and perhaps they are priced just right. :)

Here are a couple threads on them:
viewtopic.php?t=16228&highlight=versahauler
viewtopic.php?t=13291&highlight=versahauler

I'm thinking of saving up and buying one of these. Yes, they are pricey, but they seem to hold their value (if you price the used ones), so sooner or later I could maybe sell it if needed.

I really like how you can easily put it away when not needed, even in your trunk, and haul two scooters on it when necessary. And if you get the two scooter setup, you can adapt it to just haul one scooter at times as well. There's one picture on their website of someone with a pair of Vespas on one, though it appears that the vast majority of people haul bikes (some quite heavy) on them. To be honest, I look at those tires and think, "No way", but if you read the reviews, there are people on there that have taken them on super long trips and even at 85 or 90 miles an hour, in wind and snow and potholed roads with zero issues.

...and no tools are needed to assemble them, if I read their advertising correctly.

Pricey...definitely...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Right, what Michelle said.

They're great if you have a vehicle and hitch rated for that much weight. I can't remember the specs, but I think it's at least a class II.

you can TOW a lot, something like 1200 lbs, with a class I, but most of that weight is on the wheels of the trailer, and there's minimal weight on the hitch, most of the weight is horizontal force of pulling the trailer.

With a Vers-a-haul, ALL the weight is on the hitch and the back axle of your vehicle, which is a whole different matter. With most scooters, that's about 300+ pounds of downward force, which most smallish trailer hitch mounts can not support.

So if you have a large truck or SUV, or maybe a very large sedan, you're golden. smaller SUVs/station wagons/compacts simply can't handle them.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
davelhunter

Works great

Post by davelhunter »

I have an X5 suv and have a different brand that I purchased from ebay, but it works great! Mine actually holds two bikes. I've used it for 2 dirt bikes at once and I have also put my GSXR 600 on there and it handled it just fine. I personally think it is much better than a trailer.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

illnoise wrote:Right, what Michelle said.

They're great if you have a vehicle and hitch rated for that much weight. I can't remember the specs, but I think it's at least a class II.

you can TOW a lot, something like 1200 lbs, with a class I, but most of that weight is on the wheels of the trailer, and there's minimal weight on the hitch, most of the weight is horizontal force of pulling the trailer.

With a Vers-a-haul, ALL the weight is on the hitch and the back axle of your vehicle, which is a whole different matter. With most scooters, that's about 300+ pounds of downward force, which most smallish trailer hitch mounts can not support.

So if you have a large truck or SUV, or maybe a very large sedan, you're golden. smaller SUVs/station wagons/compacts simply can't handle them.

Bb
We had a Class II hitch version of this for our Tracker. Worked out pretty good, except that you need to remove the spare tire from the rear hatch. But, the Tracker/Vitara is a special case for Small SUV's since it's one of the few with a full frame chassis. Nearly all compact SUV's these days have Unibody construction, making class II and III hitches difficult to install.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, that reminds me of another thing worth thinking about, we have a hitch-mounted bicycle rack, and you basically have to take the whole thing apart to open your back door/window/hatch (yes, it theoretically 'folds down' but it's not as simple as it sounds, and the VersaHaul does not fold down). Sounds like "duh," but it's a bigger drag than you'd think when you need to get in your hatch at a gas station or motel, and there's a scooter blocking it.

For that matter, it might block a tailgage or SUV door from opening even w/o the bike in place, so check that out first.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
issue31

Post by issue31 »

:lol: I have had mine for about two weeks. Had the scooter on it 3 times. Works grate, but made a small change. I made a little platform to put on the bed of the Versahaul so i could use the scooter kick stand while putting on the tie straps. It is a piece of 1/2 plywood about 8 in square, with a little kleet under it so it does not slip off the bed.
before putting it together make sure the stringer tube fits into the receiver. Mine had a lot of rust and diet in it. Took me about 2 hours to clean it out so it would fit.
had to grind the end of the stringer tube down around the edges, as they welded the end closed, and the tube swelled a little.
Got mine from a co. in Florida for $380.00
Two bolts and it comes apart for storage.
I am using it to haul a Buddy 125 and a Buddy 170
My receiver is fitted on a Dodge pickup. Like it. issue31
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

I have a Versahaul I used on the back of the motorhome for my Kymco Yager GT 200i which is 308 lbs. The Versa is rated for 500 lbs. It has a collar to take up all the slack in the receiver so it won't wobble. It is for sale by the way for $100.

Karl
Rob

Post by Rob »

illnoise wrote:With a Vers-a-haul, ALL the weight is on the hitch and the back axle of your vehicle, which is a whole different matter. With most scooters, that's about 300+ pounds of downward force, which most smallish trailer hitch mounts can not support.
Bb
Currently I have a larger SUV, Class III, so that shouldn't be an issue. And I wouldn't use if for long distances, generally 60 miles or less, otherwise I'd just bite the bullet and use the trailer. However, I just started thinking about getting a new, and probably smaller, vehicle, so I'll definitely keep this is mind.
illnoise wrote:Yeah, that reminds me of another thing worth thinking about, we have a hitch-mounted bicycle rack, and you basically have to take the whole thing apart to open your back door/window/hatch (yes, it theoretically 'folds down' but it's not as simple as it sounds, and the VersaHaul does not fold down). Sounds like "duh," but it's a bigger drag than you'd think when you need to get in your hatch at a gas station or motel, and there's a scooter blocking it.
For that matter, it might block a tailgage or SUV door from opening even w/o the bike in place, so check that out first.
Bb
For sure it would block my tailgate and hatch window, but again, for short distances, that's something I could live with ... I think.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

CROSSBOLT wrote:I have a Versahaul I used on the back of the motorhome for my Kymco Yager GT 200i which is 308 lbs. The Versa is rated for 500 lbs. It has a collar to take up all the slack in the receiver so it won't wobble. It is for sale by the way for $100.

Karl
Which model?

Rob
- Steven Wright
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I have a larger model Versa Haul for sport bikes (also had a smaller motorcycle when I bought it) and use it for trips to the scooter shop when I have to leave it there; I have a factory installed class III hitch on the back of my Jeep Liberty and it mounts good and strong once the locking collar is snugged (one of the bolts on my original collar got stripped threads, so I have to get a replacment); I even ordered a light kit for mine (maybe get that project done sometime before 2013 :roll: ); I like mine alot and hope it holds up for years to come
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Rob, it is a VH 55 RO. I'm in Selmer, TN.

Karl
Rob

Post by Rob »

CROSSBOLT wrote:Rob, it is a VH 55 RO. I'm in Selmer, TN.

Karl
I'm definitely interested. I'll shoot you a PM.

Rob
- Steven Wright
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

illnoise wrote:Yeah, that reminds me of another thing worth thinking about, we have a hitch-mounted bicycle rack, and you basically have to take the whole thing apart to open your back door/window/hatch (yes, it theoretically 'folds down' but it's not as simple as it sounds, and the VersaHaul does not fold down). Sounds like "duh," but it's a bigger drag than you'd think when you need to get in your hatch at a gas station or motel, and there's a scooter blocking it.

Bb
This is what we have for our bikes (not that we've used it in the last couple of years... :roll: ). The bikes ride up next to your vehicle, but you can move them out of the way to get in your trunk.