QUESTIONs! HELP!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rickyd410

QUESTIONs! HELP!

Post by rickyd410 »

Okay, so I'm veeeeeerrrry interested in the buddy, but have some questions that I hope you guys/gals can help me with.

1. I don't have an enclosed space to keep my buddy at night. This probably wouldn't be a problem if I lived out in the boondocks. But I live in Baltimore, where crime isn't unheard of (that's putting it nicely). :) Any suggestions?

2. I feel silly for even asking this, but what do you guys/gals do about helmet hair? :oops: I have long curly hair that will probably suffer from me getting a scooter. any remedies? Obviously I don't care when I'm out riding for fun, but when I'm taking the buddy to work... Hm..

Thanks all! :D
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I had the same problem, since I live in a sketchy neighborhood with no garage. I ended up buying a generic motorcycle cover at my local auto parts store and buying a chain to secure it to a post. It's worked really well so far, since no one has come near my scooter.

Of course, keep in mind that the Buddy 50cc weighs around 200lbs. As long as you lock the steering column, it's going to be really hard for someone to even try and walk off with it.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Use the steering lock and good cable to something immovable and the security should be alright..

As for hat hair, I just keep a baseball cap under the seat, so when the helmet comes off, I have an instant cover up :-)
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

This hair-do always works

(Keys RULES!!)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Ditto Scarabmonkey....... Score another point for low maintenance.....
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

As far as your hair is concerned, elastic headbands can help out a lot...

There are some now that have little rubber nubbies on them so they don't slide around -- I've only seen/used the ones made by Goody.

(I lifted this image from their website since I couldn't find one anywhere...)
Attachments
goody.jpg
goody.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There have been reports of thieves putting a scoot on 2 skateboards and making off with it. Yowza. If you search some other forums and read how people's scooters get stolen, you'll find that thieves are a pretty resourceful bunch.

Best thing to do is to get a really good chain & lock (spend some money on this, it's cheaper than a new Buddy). Wrap the chain around the floorboard when you lock it up. Chaining the wheel will only result in damage to your scoot.

You can also get an alarm, but the efficacy of alarms is pretty debatable.
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

Howdy....We live in Bmore and have had our buddy for a month now with NO! problems in the city. And we live in Fell's Point. Its outside all the time. Just have to lock it up every place you go. We got ours at motostrada in Cockeysville. The guys are great, and they do service up there too. If you get a buddy....and i recommend it hit me up. well go for a ride ~ o and by the way...we sold sold 1 of our 2 cars and dont even use the other car. the buddy takes us eveywhere!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

^ ha so funny, we sold a second car for a buddy too...but them we got ANOTHER buddy so we each have one. still it is a huge savings in gas and parking (for my husband $50 a month). the car sits alone in garage-rarely driven since the we and the Buddies like tooling around our neighborhood and its haunts so much. Tonight we are going to a party in the (stupid) car, and have to run something like 2 months of put off car errands before we go (no you cannot fit a case of wine under the buddy seat). this summer has been like being on vacation even though I had no vacation. it is that fun. not looking forward to :P one of us riding the bus this winter...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:^ ha so funny, we sold a second car for a buddy too...but them we got ANOTHER buddy so we each have one. still it is a huge savings in gas and parking (for my husband $50 a month). the car sits alone in garage-rarely driven since the we and the Buddies like tooling around our neighborhood and its haunts so much. Tonight we are going to a party in the (stupid) car, and have to run something like 2 months of put off car errands before we go (no you cannot fit a case of wine under the buddy seat). this summer has been like being on vacation even though I had no vacation. it is that fun. not looking forward to :P one of us riding the bus this winter...
Yup, we don't even have the Buddy yet but the wife has already mentioned becoming a one car couple.

I bet you could fit a case of wine in a pair of Givi topcases. :wink:
big calm

Post by big calm »

I park my scoot outside as well. The best thing to do is get theft, wind and fire for your scoot ins. This will give you some piece of mind that if some SCUM BAG takes it. At least it will be re-purchased for you.

I also have a scooter cover, l cable ock and that gear lock too.

Cowboys - 17
49ers - 7
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I finally got to test drive the buddy today, and tried on a helmet or two, and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have a feeling I'll be the owner of a new buddy by the end of next week. :)

As far as keeping the Buddy at home, one security measure I'm thinking of doing is, pouring a batch of concrete and anchoring some kind of loop in the concrete that I can attach my chain/lock to. What'dya think?
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

peabody99 wrote: (no you cannot fit a case of wine under the buddy seat).
hey...if I can get 3 30-packs of Miller Lite to a party on a Stella, certainly a case of wine could go somewhere on a Buddy...
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

scarabmonkey wrote:hey...if I can get 3 30-packs of Miller Lite to a party on a Stella, certainly a case of wine could go somewhere on a Buddy...
Now that's impressive!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

rickyd410 wrote:
scarabmonkey wrote:hey...if I can get 3 30-packs of Miller Lite to a party on a Stella, certainly a case of wine could go somewhere on a Buddy...
I require photo evidence of this! :no:
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

peabody99 wrote:
rickyd410 wrote:
I require photo evidence of this! :no:
Check...hmmmm...now to convince loving wife that we need 90 cans of beer in the house at one time...hmmmmmm....I'll get back to you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickyd410 wrote:I finally got to test drive the buddy today, and tried on a helmet or two, and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have a feeling I'll be the owner of a new buddy by the end of next week. :)

As far as keeping the Buddy at home, one security measure I'm thinking of doing is, pouring a batch of concrete and anchoring some kind of loop in the concrete that I can attach my chain/lock to. What'dya think?
There are several anchors on the market. Here are a couple:

Torc Anchor

Kryptonite Anchor (now on sale!)
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

ericalm wrote:There are several anchors on the market. Here are a couple:

Torc Anchor

Do you know of any that you anchor in wet concrete? I'd imagine that would be smaller.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickyd410 wrote:
ericalm wrote:There are several anchors on the market. Here are a couple:

Torc Anchor

Do you know of any that you anchor in wet concrete? I'd imagine that would be smaller.
I have seen photos of something like this, but don't know of any first hand. This may even be something you could just find at Home Depot.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Masterlock makes a Python lock and cable. You can get an 8-footer that works great. My husband and I use it to lock both our Buddies up when out and about.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Found it! TheOxford TerraForce Ground Anchor found here: http://www.bikesax.com/Merchant2/mercha ... de=SEC-FLA

It's exactly what I need, the question is, can I get the same thing at like home depot, or somewhere local where I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

You can fit a 2L growler under a Buddy seat.
Not really from Iceland.