Genuine on Motorscooterguide.net

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rentonhighlander

Genuine on Motorscooterguide.net

Post by rentonhighlander »

Genuine finally gets representation on motorscooterguide.net!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Never heard of 'em. New scooter blog advertising? Site looks OK, but rather limited
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I had no idea that Genuine and Scooterworks had a history together. Interesting.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

michelle_7728 wrote:I had no idea that Genuine and Scooterworks had a history together. Interesting.
There's a similar partnership with Prima and Scooterworks as well. One of the reasons why you see so many options available with Prima parts for the line of Genuine scooters.
pattio

Post by pattio »

Aside from English's not being language first of blogger, that information is actually pretty tight.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Great to see more Genuine exposure.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

The info is slightly off, isn't it?

The 220 Blur wasn't sold in California until July 2011 (and only a few initially).
The 170i weren't 2012 --- they were 2011.
rentonhighlander

Neotrotsky, the link is just a general genuine page but if you click on a model name a page with just that model is featured. Quite a few pages when you consider all of the brands listed.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

neotrotsky wrote:Never heard of 'em. New scooter blog advertising? Site looks OK, but rather limited
They have been around for quite a while with a good amount of Yamaha and Honda information. The Genuine section is new and comparably there isn't as many bikes in it as Honda has produced since 1981 :)
Last edited by JohnKiniston on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Cool that they post the manuals for scooters on their site.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Where is this based? The owner did a cross-Canada ride. I don't think English is their second language!

Nice link to MB! Guess I'll withhold my snarky comments about misuse of apostrophes. :P

One bit that's not quite right:
With it getting harder every year to import large 2-strokes, Genuine diversified their business by partnering with Taiwan based PGO Scooters and introduced their first modern scooters to sell alongside the Stella.
There was no issue with 2-strokes outside of CA, where the Stella was never sold. What happened was that a strike at LML in India shut down Stella/Star production for a couple years. At that time, this was Genuine's only model. I think they'd already been in talks with PGO by then, but it helped push the launch of the Taiwanese Genuines.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

spr0k3t wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:I had no idea that Genuine and Scooterworks had a history together. Interesting.
There's a similar partnership with Prima and Scooterworks as well. One of the reasons why you see so many options available with Prima parts for the line of Genuine scooters.
Scooterworks Chicago is the Genuine Dealer there.
Scooterworks USA is the parts business, which serves retail and wholesale customers.
Genuine is Genuine.

The story of how all the businesses got going is really interesting and might make a great book someday. (I don't envy the writer, who will have to wade through years of mythologizing, rumors, talking to people with very strong and probably totally off-base opinions and so on. The scooter world has more than its share of "characters" and many would show up in this book.)

The three companies are mostly independent. Scooterworks USA is still the supplier of replacement parts and warranty parts for Genuine. And Scooterworks Chicago is still a Genuine dealer, of course, but also carries other makes. Genuine is also headquartered right next to the dealer.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rentonhighlander

I think this web site is out of Canada because there are specific references to the "Canadian" versions of the some of the various models. In addition to the cross-Canada trip reference.
Keys

Post by Keys »

neotrotsky wrote:Never heard of 'em. New scooter blog advertising? Site looks OK, but rather limited
It's okay, Jared...they probably never heard of you either...
"Life without music would Bb"
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Keys wrote:
It's okay, Jared...they probably never heard of you either...
What? It's a legitimate comment. It came of as spammy to me. That's all I am saying.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

ThreeSheets wrote:Great to see more Genuine exposure.
Hehe
dandurston

Post by dandurston »

Thanks for the kind words about the site guys.

I'm the main (okay only) guy behind MotorScooterGuide.net. I just came across this thread and I appreciate the comments & corrections. I'm working on making those now. If you guys have any other corrections to add shoot me an email (durston.dan at gmail dot com) or post up. If you're particularly keen, you can add an owner review:
http://motorscooterguide.net/OwnerRevie ... Review.php
Aside from English's not being language first of blogger
Ouch...I hope it's not that bad. :oops:
Are you sure? Everything I can find (including Genuine's website) refers to them as 2012.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

dandurston wrote:
Are you sure? Everything I can find (including Genuine's website) refers to them as 2012.
Yup.
http://justgottascoot.com/buddy170i.htm

I bought my Blur in August, 2011: was debating between a Blur and a 170i all Summer. Originally launched in just three colors in 2011. They've been adding colors ever since. (The dealership I purchased from had them marked as 2011, and I specifically asked if that was what the title had them down as. I'm not sure what month specifically they went on sale for, but pretty sure at least July 2011? 110% August.)

The '12 models are out now, hence why all the focus is on them. I suppose if you dig around, you'd find the release announcements on scooter forums and some websites, I'd expect.
dandurston

Post by dandurston »

The Buddy 170i arrived at dealers in early 2011 (June it seems) but I believe these scooters were always referred to as 2012 models. It was just an 'early release' like a lot of manufacturers do.

For example, here's a dealer announcing the arrival of the '2012 Buddy 170i' in June 2011:
http://vespalexington.com/2011/06/new-g ... available/

So as far as I can tell, there hasn't been official 2011 model year of this scooter. Semantics perhaps, but it's easier to explain things on the site using model years.
Last edited by dandurston on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Edwub wrote:
dandurston wrote:
Yup.
http://justgottascoot.com/buddy170i.htm

I bought my Blur in August, 2011: was debating between a Blur and a 170i all Summer. Originally launched in just three colors in 2011. They've been adding colors ever since. (The dealership I purchased from had them marked as 2011, and I specifically asked if that was what the title had them down as. I'm not sure what month specifically they went on sale for, but pretty sure at least July 2011? 110% August.)

The '12 models are out now, hence why all the focus is on them. I suppose if you dig around, you'd find the release announcements on scooter forums and some websites, I'd expect.
I bought my 170i in July, 2011. I think they had just come out. I remember it wasn't easy to get.

It is listed as a 2012 model on my registration.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Fair enough. However the original point still stands (in regards to the sites history section :)) the new 170i was actually introduced in 2011 as the '12 model, and already being sold in the Summer.

Wish my Blur was marked as a '12 on the title <.<
dandurston

Post by dandurston »

Point taken. I've now attempted to make the summer 2011 release of the "2012 model" more understandable on the website.