HELP!!!!! Another scooter won't start thread - SORRY

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coffeebrown

HELP!!!!! Another scooter won't start thread - SORRY

Post by coffeebrown »

Took my black cat carbs apart after it sat for a long time. put in a new, fully charged battery and it still won't start!! AARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I turn it on and it starts and runs for about 20 secs then shuts right off again.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone???? Bueller?????
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Ok you say it sat for awhile, just how long was awhile? Other components of the fuel system may have become affected not just the carb. What exactly did you do when you broke down the carb for cleaning, did you replace your fuel filter, was fresh gas used to start your scoot. Just a wee bit more info can really help diagnose your issue, and hopefully solve your problem.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

A while = a year or slightly more. I only cleaned the carburetor and put in fresh gas. Should I do something with the fuel filter?? The air filter seems to be saturated with oil (or gas) also.
"A woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water"
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

You will definitely want to replace the fuel filter and air filter. The fact that it starts and dies is a sign of a bad mix of air/fuel. Replacing the fuel filter may mean you need to do a full clean of the carb again, but at least give it a shot. Also, I'd recommend high octane when you know it is going to sit for a while... on top of that, use some stabil and let it run a little bit with that stuff in the fuel line. Helps keep the buildup down.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Fuel filters are cheap. and so are plugs. :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Have to agree with the fuel filter and air filter replacement. They are one of the most overlooked items when it comes to starting issue's.

Fuel filter

Air filter (you will have to determine which one you need)

Parts for the BC

And nix the "high octane", just run some B29 Chemtool through the lines @1oz. per gallon of gas.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

THANK YOU guys!!!

I will definitely invest in new filters. (appreciate the links!!)

P.S. I did put in a new spark plug.
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

One more thing: can someone post (or direct me to) a photo of the air filter?? I've gone to a couple of websites to purchase one and they look nothing like what I thought the air filter on the BC looked like. :oops:
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Odometer mileage?

What exactly did you do to "clean" the carb?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Have a look at #4 in this exploded view:

That was taken directly from http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/blackcataircleaner
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

OOPS!!!!!!!! I said air filter but I meant fuel filter. :oops:

I completely disassembled the carb. I thought it would be gummed up but it wasn't; there was still Sta-bil left in the bowl.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Then you want #10 in this one:

This is the fuel tank assembly for the Buddy 50/125 so some of the components will be different. The fuel filter will be the same though. One thing to keep in mind, you can use any fuel filter you would like as long as the inlet/outlet outer diameter remains the same, to which most of them are.

The image comes from this page: http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddyfueltank
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Thank you Sprocket
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Taking a carb apart and cleaning it are two separate things. What specifically did you do to "clean" it?
Last edited by B02S4 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

B02S4 wrote:Taking a carb apart and cleaning it are two separate things. What specifically did you dod to "clean" it?
^this.
and some of the blockages can be small. or just a little sludge. or just filled with separated fuel. cleaning might involve dissolving.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Generally when I do a full clean, I break the components all the way down... even removing the stepping position on the needle. There are hundreds of great videos on how to correctly clean a carburetor on youtube. Best thing to do, pick a few of them, go over them multiple times. Make sure you know what parts are what in the carb before disassembly. Inspect and clean every component of the carb right down to the intakes and outlets.

A couple a really good pointers for you; Replace the bowl screws with hex bolts of the same size... that way you won't strip the heads off on accident making it easier to clean each time after. Always get more cleaning solution than you will need, you never know when you are going to run out in mid tear-down.