Time for a new rear tire...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scudder

Time for a new rear tire...

Post by scudder »

My rear tire is at the wear bars...3,000 miles. The tires are Maxxis 6029 and of course I can not find them anywhere. After doing some reading on this forum, it appears as if the new kool-aid is the Heidenau K61, anyone know of a good place to get one?. I have two concerns/questions: Can I just replace the rear tire and keep the stock front tire without any ill effects in the handling department?....I ride rain or shine and need something that has descent wet weather grip, the Maxxis tire did very well!
I am open to other tire suggestions also, I would rather have good grip in wet conditions than longevity in tire life.....Thanks!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're going to the Heidenaus, you definitely want to change both tires. The tread and tire composition are totally different.

You can get them from Scooterwest.com: http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Tire/8968

It might be cheaper to get your dealer to order them.

Are you doing 3.5 x 10 or 100/90-10?

As much as I love the K61s, SkootzKabootz got little life out of his, burning through the rear relatively quickly: topic21862.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scudder

Post by scudder »

I am doing the 100 90/10
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I got the Michelin S1's about 2K ago and they're doing great. A good solid tire and not bad in the rain, plus they are cheap and come in 100/90-10. I got mine from bike bandit http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-s1-scooter-tire .
scudder

Post by scudder »

2wheelNsanity wrote:I got the Michelin S1's about 2K ago and they're doing great. A good solid tire and not bad in the rain, plus they are cheap and come in 100/90-10. I got mine from bike bandit http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-s1-scooter-tire .
Thanks for the link! I will probably go this route.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

I'm in the same boat — nearly time for new tires. Has anyone bought tires from Just Scooter Tires? They are selling K61s for under $60.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

My original tire lasted 9,700 miles (07 Buddy 125), I went to the shop and asked for another "original" tire... I want the new one to last 9,700 mile too!
scudder

Post by scudder »

The Heidenaus seem hard to find, so I am probably going to order the Michellins. I will replace the rear tire and if it handles OK with the Maxxis on the front I will have a spare for when it's time to replace the rear again. I am guessing the front tire lasts forever on these little scoots.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

iMoses wrote:My original tire lasted 9,700 miles (07 Buddy 125), I went to the shop and asked for another "original" tire... I want the new one to last 9,700 mile too!
THIS
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

scudder, I replaced the stock whitewall on my 150 with a Michelin S1. That was 6,500 miles ago and it still looks great. I've got almost 12,000 miles on the stock front and it's still going strong. You'll be fine mixing & matching the S1 with the stock up front.

And the S1 is great in the wet. Good price, good tire.
Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

I'm just reaching 10,000 miles with the original stock tires on my 2008 Buddy 50, and I think I will have to replace the rear tire soon. Very little tread left. I'll get the same one that came on the bike. If someone finds a tire that lasts longer, let me know. For now, I'm pretty darn happy with the stock tires.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

iMoses wrote "My original tire lasted 9,700 miles (07 Buddy 125)"
Dirvin wrote "I'm just reaching 10,000 miles with the original stock tires on my 2008 Buddy 50."
WOW! I got 4800 on mine and thought I was doing good. There must be alot of really smooth roads where you ride.
scudder

Post by scudder »

Thanks for the replys everyone! I just ordered a set of Michelin S1s... :D
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

2wheelNsanity wrote:iMoses wrote "My original tire lasted 9,700 miles (07 Buddy 125)"
Dirvin wrote "I'm just reaching 10,000 miles with the original stock tires on my 2008 Buddy 50."
WOW! I got 4800 on mine and thought I was doing good. There must be alot of really smooth roads where you ride.
Maybe that's what it is. My Buddy with around 6,000 miles on it still has the original tires, and they both still look new to me. And I would say that 90% of the time I have either a topcase or my platform that I built mounted on the rear rack (which weighs about the same as my top case).

I used to go up to the San Juan Islands when I was in my 30s, and I remember they had really rough roads up there...not to say their roads were bad, just that they materials they used to make their roads were different...kind of aggregate like or something. I'm no expert at roads, but I tell you, if you were to take a spill on those roads, you'd come out in a lot worse shape than you would on the roads around here!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jonlink wrote:I'm in the same boat — nearly time for new tires. Has anyone bought tires from Just Scooter Tires? They are selling K61s for under $60.
I think that's where SkootzKabootz got his. I get mine from Motorsport; don't mind paying a few more bucks if they're going to those guys.

To enter the pissing contest, I got almost 13K on the rear Heidenau K61 on my LX. And that was a lot of hard riding, freeways, jackassery, etc.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
jonlink wrote:I'm in the same boat — nearly time for new tires. Has anyone bought tires from Just Scooter Tires? They are selling K61s for under $60.
I think that's where SkootzKabootz got his. I get mine from Motorsport; don't mind paying a few more bucks if they're going to those guys.

To enter the pissing contest, I got almost 13K on the rear Heidenau K61 on my LX. And that was a lot of hard riding, freeways, jackassery, etc.
No, I got mine from Tires-Easy.com. They had the best price + shipping cost back when I ordered. But the K61's seem to have been out of stock there ever since and now according to their website it looks like they don't even carry Heidenau's any more. So I don't know what's going on there.

And Eric, I still can't figure out how the heck you've got 13K on your rear tire! You clearly have some sort of mutant Heidenau :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:And Eric, I still can't figure out how the heck you've got 13K on your rear tire! You clearly have some sort of mutant Heidenau :)
YMMV!

I think that's uncommon, to say the least.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

To give a perspective on the roads I have to ride on here is a picture showing the difference between chip-n-seal and smooth asphalt. After a few years cars put down some rubber, but it is still like traveling on coarse grit sandpaper. This might explain why I only got 4800 miles on my Prima whitewalls.
There is a good side to the chip-n-seal road and that is during moderate rain and light snow you won't loss grip.
Attachments
ChipSeal.jpg
ChipSeal.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't think anyone is getting much more than 4800 out of the Prima whitewalls.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I've gotten between 3-4k on my three rear tires. Just ordered another S1 and wondering what my tread life will be here in Colorado vs Florida.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm at 3200, and that rear tire isn't done yet, but my 4500 mile service I may just do it. The Genuine 'truckload' sale is coming to our local dealer this weekend, so I wast thinking of picking up some tires and the prima pipe, to be put on later! Also wouldn't mind a nice topcase for the Kymco for a backrest.

My dealer gives a good price on the S1, and since I don't pay labor I'll probably pick those, and have them put on the pipe at the same time so they don't have to remove the exhaust 2x.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

jmazza wrote:I've gotten between 3-4k on my three rear tires. Just ordered another S1 and wondering what my tread life will be here in Colorado vs Florida.
I got 4800 miles on my Pirreli SL26 (which I didn't like).
My last 3 rear tires have been Michelin S1's and I got just over 4K miles on 2 of them. The current one has 3066 miles on it and it's looking like it is wearing a little faster than the previous 2 and needs to be changed. It feels like it needs to be replaced, too. Gets a little squidgey in the turns; especially on wet roads.
Most of my riding is fast commuting; very little city riding.
YMMV, literally.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

The guy behind the counter at the dealer informed me I could get "sticky" tires... my response was to reiterate that I wanted original tires just like the one that lasted 9,700 miles. I assumed that "sticky" tires would wear out sooner which is why I insisted on the original kind.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's generally true. Softer tires have better grip but wear faster and harder tires last longer but my slip in corners or rain. I can't run slippery tires for my particular riding.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
scudder

Post by scudder »

Hoo-Zah!!! New tires showed up today! :D
scudder

Post by scudder »

I got the rear tire on....getting the wheel off was easy,thanks to an impulse purchase at Harborfreight about two years ago :D , getting the actual tire off and the new one on was a pain.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

getting the actual tire off and the new one on was a pain.
Yup. What'd ya use?
scudder

Post by scudder »

Tocsik wrote:
Yup. What'd ya use?
Tire spoons and dish shop
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scudder wrote:
Tocsik wrote:
Yup. What'd ya use?
Tire spoons and dish shop
Next HF impulse: The tire changer! They're relatively cheap. :)
chas

Post by chas »

scudder wrote:I got the rear tire on....getting the wheel off was easy,thanks to an impulse purchase at Harborfreight about two years ago :D , getting the actual tire off and the new one on was a pain.
I know it's been said before but I absolutely love your Killinger sticker. So cool.
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

ericalm wrote:
What is the difference between the two and what is the advantage if any of running 100/90-10?
Andy Lai Photography
http://www.andylaiphoto.com

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

andylaiphoto wrote:
ericalm wrote:
What is the difference between the two and what is the advantage if any of running 100/90-10?
100/90 10 is *slightly* beefier.

Here's some info
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Tocsik wrote:
andylaiphoto wrote:
ericalm wrote:
100/90 10 is *slightly* beefier.

Here's some info
Yes and no actually. It depends on the tire maker. The Continentals of one size could be smaller or larger than the same size tires from Michelin. When you get down to it, yes... the 100/90 10 is slightly beefier.
scudder

Post by scudder »

chas wrote:I know it's been said before but I absolutely love your Killinger sticker. So cool.
Now I just need to find a magic murder bag and I will be set! :twisted:
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Sorry if it's been asked a million times, what's the best tubeless whitewall for the 125? I'm about to start riding 14 miles a day to work and back, my stock tires are fine for now, but want to eventually replace them with tubeless white walls.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

2wheelNsanity wrote:There must be alot of really smooth roads where you ride.
I ride in the KC area...both MO & KS sides...but mostly on the KS side
redcass

Post by redcass »

ericalm wrote:I don't think anyone is getting much more than 4800 out of the Prima whitewalls.
I hated the ones that came with my Italia.

But admittedly, I don't get the appeal. I think they look cheap.

(Runs away before things are thrown at her head for insulting white walls.)
RedCass
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

redcass wrote:
ericalm wrote:I don't think anyone is getting much more than 4800 out of the Prima whitewalls.
I hated the ones that came with my Italia.

But admittedly, I don't get the appeal. I think they look cheap.

(Runs away before things are thrown at her head for insulting white walls.)
LOL, not at all! I think they can look good on some scoots, but many people put way too much stock in their appearance. There are many much better options for blackwalls than any whitewalls on the market. I ditched the ones on my Stella ASAP!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Dirvin wrote:I'm just reaching 10,000 miles with the original stock tires on my 2008 Buddy 50, and I think I will have to replace the rear tire soon. Very little tread left. I'll get the same one that came on the bike. If someone finds a tire that lasts longer, let me know. For now, I'm pretty darn happy with the stock tires.
I just passed 10,000 miles on the original tires on my 125 and had the rear tire replaced today. Since the OEM tires weren't available I went with a Michelin S1. The front tire still looks good.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I second what 2wheelNsanity said above about chip seal road surfaces - for better or worse.

About a month ago the main road that I commute to work (20 miles @ 45-55 mph) on was chip sealed. For years it have been smooth asphalt which was nice to ride on as long as it wasn't raining. The original rear tire on my Buddy 125 lasted 8600 miles and the following 2 Michelin S83 lasted a little over 3000 miles each. About the same time the road was chip sealed I installed a Dunlop K398 out back, and after 1500 miles I think I will be lucky to get 2000 miles. Granted, this is the first time I have run a K398 on the Buddy, but this same tire on my old Honda usually lasted 4000 miles on smoother surfaces. I think road type can greatly affect tire life.