Help! How do I remove outer variator pulley plate??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

Help! How do I remove outer variator pulley plate??

Post by sunshinen »

Trying to install new rollers, but can't figure out how to get to them.

I've removed the transmission cover, but can't figure out how to get the next pieces off.

The everything just spins when I try to remove the nuts. What's the trick?

This image is where I am in the process:
Attachments
drpulley4.jpg
drpulley4.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
Scooter Commuter
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

At this point you either need an impact wrench or something to hold the fan pulley still while you muscle the nut off. Here's a couple threads with more details:

topic5411.html

topic5444.html
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

i have a cordless impact wrench... it seems worthless.

but right now, the nut just spins endlessly ... no muscle needed. what am i missing?? (How do I hold the fan pulley still?)
Last edited by sunshinen on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

what do these arrows signify?
Attachments
2_p1010001remove_xmission_cover_aa_467.jpg
2_p1010001remove_xmission_cover_aa_467.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Scooter Commuter
rajron

Post by rajron »

The original variator allows the use of a spanner – or you can make your own lever, attaching to those holes, and then attaching a socket to main nut – allowing for good leverage, not needing an impact wrench.

Then again; thirty five bucks will get you a good, corded impact wrench from Harbor Freight
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

The arrows are pointing to two cast-in holes that can, with the use of a special, or home-made tool, be used to hold the outer plate in place while the nut is loosened.

Many folks here have used strap wrenches to hold everything still, but I haven't had any luck with them at all. However, I do have a home-made variator tool that works just fine.

If you're at wit's end and willing to wait, I'd be more than happy to send it down to you as a loaner, and perhaps something you could use to make a copy. My scoot's a Blur, but I think that the hole size and depth are pretty much the same as that on the Buddy.

I'll pay the postage down, you pay the postage back, and we'll call it even. Just need it back in a timely fashion.

-charlie55
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

A corded impact wrench really does the trick, but if you don't want to go that route, a DIY variator tool that looks like this is what you need to make:

'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

3 hours and an extra pair of hands later... done!

I used a pair of pliers, a screw, and a hammer to hold the wheel in place while a friend turned the nut. With just the pliers and the screw... I bent the crap out of a screw.

But it's done. Thanks for all the tips!
Scooter Commuter
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Anyone know if any of the variator tools like those for sale on Motorsport fit this? My mech has one on a rod for leverage.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
db

Post by db »

I saw on the one link it said 10 bolts holding the cover on. Is that just for the blur b/c I can only find 9 but cant get the cover off. It is very possible and easy for me to have overlooked it. I did not notice one behind the kick starter.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A 12 dollar chicago electric impact wrench will get it off in less than a second, and back on in no time.
db

Post by db »

I cant even get the cover off to expose the variator and clutch
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Been there, done that. I bought the impact wrench.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
db

Post by db »

I got the 9 8mm bolts off. Is there more? I can't get the cover off to see the variator, belt, clutch. I don't need the impact wrenc until I get the cover off. Someone help please.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Look behind the kickstarter. Examine all the outer perimeters of the CVT cover. It's been a pretty long while since I've looked at a Buddy CVT cover, but if you have all the bolts out, you should be able to remove it. It might feel still attached. Smack it lightly with a rubber mallet, the vibration will nudge it loose. Put the kickstand down (have it supported on the center-stand) and sort of wiggle it up and down. It should come loose after a moment of working on it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
db

Post by db »

Cool thanks. Do you recall the total number of bolts that need to be removed? I pushed the kickstart down and didn't see one there. I tried tapping but will try some more when I get home from the Michigan game.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Using a rubber mallet and pounding lightly down on the cover can make it fall off. The very first time I took my cover off, the gasket was sticky and sealed to the other side of the engine case and it fell down onto my shoes after 2-3 light pounds.

Now it just comes off with a light budge. Make sure you got the 8mm bolt right under the air filter housing.
db

Post by db »

I will go get a rubber malet. I did get the one behind the filter. Can someone confirm though just 9 bolts for the cover.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually a rubber mallet isnt really needed, it's just a example. You could use the palm of your right hand and just lightly pound and tap the top portion of the CVT cover.

Sorry I dont remember the exact count of 8mm bolts.
db

Post by db »

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it
broke

Post by broke »

The variator on a Buddy 125 has 8 bolts total.

4 on the top and 4 on the bottom.

Everyone on the top has one almost direct below it on the bottom.

You don't need to take the kickstand off and there is no bolt behind the kick stand. The bolts are all on the periphery of the cover.

Wonder what the 9th bolt is you took off?
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

broke wrote:The variator on a Buddy 125 has 8 bolts total.

4 on the top and 4 on the bottom.

Everyone on the top has one almost direct below it on the bottom.

You don't need to take the kickstand off and there is no bolt behind the kick stand. The bolts are all on the periphery of the cover.

Wonder what the 9th bolt is you took off?
Could be bad if he took a 9th bolt off.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I think it would be worse if he had a ninth bolt left over...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
db

Post by db »

I think I had 8 to begin with but then took one more off from the around the air filter. I will have to look again when I get home from Michigan. Came up here to watch the game. Go blue baby. Thanks a bunch for stating the number of bolts and all the help. I hope I can get it off when I get home.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

db wrote:I think I had 8 to begin with but then took one more off from the around the air filter. I will have to look again when I get home from Michigan. Came up here to watch the game. Go blue baby. Thanks a bunch for stating the number of bolts and all the help. I hope I can get it off when I get home.
My guess is you might have taken off a air filter housing mount.
db

Post by db »

I think I did. It was kind farther back from the divide but had to try as I was not getting the cover off.
broke

Post by broke »

The first time you take the cover off, it does take a little bit of "encouraging". I think the gasket they use gets a little tacky or something? I don't know. But every time after that it will be easier to get off.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Liquidkool

Post by Liquidkool »

Holy S#!@ are you guys serious, I dont think some of you guys should even be messing around with your scoots. You better take a picture so you know how to put it back together! :P
THINKFORYOURSELF
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Liquidkool wrote:Holy S#!@ are you guys serious, I dont think some of you guys should even be messing around with your scoots. You better take a picture so you know how to put it back together! :P
Putting the entire CVT system is actually very easy. Just looking at a photo or diagram, you can easily put it back together in minutes.

I do more than just CVT on my bike too, valves, oil, etc. It's been running fine with my care.
db

Post by db »

I agree. It does not look that hard. I even watched a YouTube video. I'm just stuck on the cover but will get it done tomorrow when I get home.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

db wrote:I agree. It does not look that hard. I even watched a YouTube video. I'm just stuck on the cover but will get it done tomorrow when I get home.
At first when you take the variator out, and all your roller weights and everything falls apart onto the floor, dont freak out. Nothing is broken, nothing is wrong. If you just install the rollers/sliders in properly, and put the spacers on correctly, you will be fine.

Try to not get the belt to come off the rear clutch pulley's. The belt is a pain in the butt to get on. If it comes off or comes lose, you will need to squeeze the inner pulley plate toward you, you can grip the clutch outer bell and the inner pulley with both hands. This opens a gap for the belt to fall and slip into for proper operation.

Only do this if you get the feeling all of the sudden the belt is too short and wont fit back on the variator. This means the belt is lose somewhere in the back clutch.
db

Post by db »

Well I actually bought a new belt and clutch & contra spring so I will take it all off. The clutch for me will be a bit more tricky but I think I should be all good. Thanks for the help
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

What brand of parts did you buy?

I think a variator mod would be a bigger first mod on the transmission.
db

Post by db »

I got the dr.p variator and 12g sliders. I bought the NCY 1500 rpm clutch springs and contra spring and the Kevlar belt.
db

Post by db »

I got the dr.p variator and 12g sliders. I bought the NCY 1500 rpm clutch springs and contra spring and the Kevlar belt.
db

Post by db »

Well I got the cover off and the new variator and weights put on, doing the clutch springs today as well,but now need to put a new gasket on. Do I need to put any kind of Lube or something on it before placing it or just put it on as it is.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I took the ninth bolt out on another scooter one time. I will never do that again. It was amazing how much work it took to correct the problems created. My dealer just shook his head. It took three of us to hold it all together once we figured out the sequence.

Never remove the ninth bolt out of sequence with the hidden 10 and 11.

Just kidding.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

db wrote:Well I got the cover off and the new variator and weights put on, doing the clutch springs today as well,but now need to put a new gasket on. Do I need to put any kind of Lube or something on it before placing it or just put it on as it is.
No, it's a dry transmission. The gasket just helps to keep dirt and moister out.

Do you know how to do the clutch springs? The clutch itself is under an intense amount of pressure from the force of the contra spring. BE VERY CAREFUL taking that apart. You can hurt yourself for sure. Putting it back together is always a bit of a challenge too. It helps to have a decent vise.

Check out part one and two of this guys video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPA6VK9c ... re=related

It's a Buggy he's working on but the CVT is pretty much the same. Note his impact technique. You never just slam the nut off. Hold the impact socket with your left hand and do little jolts on the trigger. Impact wrenches are really just for loosening and torqueing down bolts, not for driving them all the way on and all the way off. Also note how he removes the contra spring. If you don't have a socket that big you can lock the bolt in a vise and slowly turn the clutch with a strap wrench to loosen it then stand on it like he does to get it off the rest of the way.

Hope this helps. Be safe.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
db

Post by db »

Thanks a lot for the help and advice. I will be careful-I hope.

I like the use of marks. I will have to do that
db

Post by db »

What size socket do you use to get the bolt off of the clutch to release the contra spring?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

db wrote:What size socket do you use to get the bolt off of the clutch to release the contra spring?
I did the trick with the vise. I think its 44mm.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:
db wrote:What size socket do you use to get the bolt off of the clutch to release the contra spring?
I did the trick with the vise. I think its 44mm.
Its 39mm, Or you can shave a hair of a 1.5 inch standard socket, as they're MUCH easier to get.
db

Post by db »

That baby is on there to tight, I think I need a socket and impact. My variator was the same way so I used a little wd40 on it and then it came off, hope thats ok. I will try to find a 44mm, thanks for the info dj
db

Post by db »

39mm, thanks kaos
Old Crow

Post by Old Crow »

Not sure if this trick would work on a scooter, but a score and three years ago when replacing a car's timing belt I was taught the trick of putting a sturdy wrench on the crankshaft nut, bracing it against a chunk of 2x4, and very briefly hitting the start switch to let the starter motor break that nut free.

NOTE - since the timing belt was broken, the engine wasn't going to actually run. You can pull the spark plug wire and be equally sure the scooter won't run.