Ramp Plate Falling Off

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy Guy

Ramp Plate Falling Off

Post by Buddy Guy »

Having a big issue with my buddy 125. Bought it used, dealership said they had just done 5000 mile service, I call bull cause the roller weights shot less than 1 month later. After replacing the roller weights and the belt they tore up, now I have a new issue. The ramp plate keeps coming lose.
The lock washer only has a little bit of the spline to grab onto and even with using my impact drill it comes lose after about 5 miles. To the point where if I have to carry tools around for a roadside fix. Any thoughts on how to fix? I was thinking a lock washer or some locktight might do the trick. Thanks in advance.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It sounds like the threads on the spline might be shot. It's been said 'round here, though I have no personal experience, that using an impact wrench to tighten the variator nut down does Bad Things - one gent had the sad experience of having to replace the crankshaft due to a helpful neighbor using said impact wrench and trashing the threads.

If the threads are indeed worn or misshapen to where they won't hold the nut, that's a problem. Short of a new shaft, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is having a machinist tap the shaft with some new threads for a slightly smaller nut. I don't know if Loctite or even some form of epoxy would hold.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Sounds like you didn't have the belt deep enough in the clutch assembly to let the front get tightened down enough.

When you reassemble the system, the first thing you have to do is squeeze the clutch assembly together and insert the belt as deep as you can. Then hold the variator assembly together and insert that and when you put the outer pulley half on the variator, there should be play in the belt.

If you just put it back together without pushing the belt into the driven pulley, the belt gets in the way of getting the variator tight enough. As soon as it starts moving, the variator nut is suddenly only finger tight, if that.

You'll want to fix this right away. If the variator comes loose, you can end up doing a lot of damage to your transmission and possibly your crankshaft (the splined shaft that the variator is installed on) could get chewed up if the splines get mangled.

If you have doubts, I'd try to take it into your mechanic.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hopefully it's that as opposed to a chewed-up thread.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Buddy Guy

Post by Buddy Guy »

Thanks for the replies. I definitely had enough play in the belt, it was pushed in as far as the clutch would go and I made sure that the ramp plate could go on without even touching the belt. The ramp plate stops where the slider is on the crank shaft and I just don't seem to have enough bite. Seems like the spline might be worn like PeteH said, I'll take it in and have them look at it. Thanks again.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Did you torque down the variator and clutch nuts to spec?

You don't want to add washers or any kind of width in there. Even small ones.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm a bit confused, though. How did the weights and the belt get torn up after replacing them? Did this coincide with the ramp plate coming loose?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Old Crow

Post by Old Crow »

ericalm and others, what method do you use to hold the variator while you set its nut with a torque wrench?

Sounds like lots of people just use an impact wrench, a few combine that with witness marks. I'd rather torque to spec.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I use a strap wrench around the variator and a torque wrench on the nut.
I've also started using a dab of blue Loktite.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are several ways to hold the variator.

DIY variator holder tools:
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=581

Or the $33 Buzzetti tool:
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Old Crow wrote:ericalm and others, what method do you use to hold the variator while you set its nut with a torque wrench?

Sounds like lots of people just use an impact wrench, a few combine that with witness marks. I'd rather torque to spec.
If you've got a second person available, you don't need anything fancy. When I did mine, my partner held it in place by putting the shaft of a screwdriver in between the blades of the variator and bracing the handle against the centerstand (I think it was the centerstand - just whatever is solid and nearby) while I worked on it.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AlV ... =yfp-t-900

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello BuddyLand:

I agree with Lostmycage and PeteH. I did my own work on my CVT using an impact wrench to take of fthe variator nut at least 3 times. I have increasing belief that the hard hitting motions of an impact wrench damage the splines at the end of the crankshaft and you cannot have that happen, or you have to change the crankshaft like some had too.

Instead.......... think I will try pdxrita and or tocsiks idea.
The weblink above is a variator took similar to what ericalm has a picture of.

Rick71454