NSR: Nexus 7 awaits! Share your fave android apps

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

NSR: Nexus 7 awaits! Share your fave android apps

Post by Quo Vadimus »

My Nexus 7's waiting for me at home, so of course I'm browsing the app store. Very excited to find Scooter Hero

Anybody have some favorite android apps I shouldn't miss?
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

what's a Nexus or Android app?
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

instagram, Merriam Webster dictionary, juice defender ultimate will really max out ur battery , some times twice as much , as for games... shadow gun tdkr, the new bat man game , mobile gaming has really turned the corner on game play and graffics its really amazing what these phones can do now. iv got the htc one x, beast mode phone
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

not an android, but my favorite games for iPhone... Cut the Rope, Flow, Contre Jour, Lego Harry Potter, Myst (love the old school PC game remakes), Sid Meier's Pirates, Where's my Water, Tower Defense Lost Earth, and Swordigo.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The Nexus 7 is a pretty sweet little tablet. I tried the Android tablet thing with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and the Kindle Fire. Both great devices, but I just couldn't dig the OS.

The only "killer aps" I really got into was one for work that involved ProTools or Ableton Live remote clients. With a 7" tablet, the sky's the limit on versatility. Really the best size for a tablet in my opinion.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

I've got an Acer Iconia A100 for my 7" tablet. It's decent but far from state of the art these days. 7" is a very useful size; big enough to read, small enough to fit into a coat pocket (or back pocket, if you don't sit down...)

Apps? QuickOffice, Tune-In Radio Pro (streaming internet radio), TexTab (SMS client tethered to android cell phone via Bluetooth*). Southwest Airlines app, American Airlines app. Fresco Lite (basic sketchpad -- not even remotely production-grade, but nice for what it is). Mini Squadron is a fun time-wasting game.

Accessories? Car charger! Capacitive stylus, folding bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse. Several different stands, none perfectly satisfactory. An Anrdroid phone with WiFi tethering enabled.
(You might even be able to get the tablet and its keyboard inside your helmet when stowed in the underseat bucket).

*may cause interference with the WiFi connection -- this depends on how well the devices involved can handle simultaneous BT and WiFi connections.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

neotrotsky wrote:The Nexus 7 is a pretty sweet little tablet. I tried the Android tablet thing with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and the Kindle Fire. Both great devices, but I just couldn't dig the OS.

The only "killer aps" I really got into was one for work that involved ProTools or Ableton Live remote clients. With a 7" tablet, the sky's the limit on versatility. Really the best size for a tablet in my opinion.
The first-gen AT&T GalTabs can be hacked (reflashed) to make phone calls. I had one, but accidentally wrecked the SIM card slot :(
basilfawlty

Post by basilfawlty »

Got my nexus 7 a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised how much I like it. I sold my soul to Google a long time ago so I really like the integration of all my Google accounts.

My verdict. It's better than the iPad at integrating with Google's services, and better for watching movies and reading books. It's not as good at web browsing or doing work (creating documents or editing pictures).

My favorite app so far is Plex. It streams video that's on your computer or NAS box to your nexus (or ipad, iphone etc.). Yesterday I was watching a movie in my hotel room even though the actual movie was on my home computer. Pretty cool I think

http://www.plexapp.com/

PS: I may also add a dock to my buddy so I can use some of the cool speedometer apps while I ride.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm sort of embarrassed to admit, but I have been using an information collecting tool called Note Everything for a long time and I like it a lot. There is a free version, but I got the Pro version in order to have automatic backup to Dropbox. The reason why I'm embarrassed to admit is that the Evernote folks have convinced everybody that their product is the shizz, but I just find it cumbersome. Note Everything is also hugely powerful but it's possible for a complete beginner to successfully create an NE note on the first try with no coaching or resorting to Youtube, something that I can't say about Evernote, which I think is way too complicated.

I like apps that have a basic functionality that I can figure out myself. When I want to do something more complicated I don't then mind poking around a little to find help. That' just me, I guess. :wink:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I like tablets but the only one I've owned so far is an HP Touchpad. Then I got a Kindle Paperwhite because I mostly read. Supposedly we can expect Androidbooks soon and if they're cheap enough I may get a small one to replace my tablet. My biggest gripe with tablets is my fumblefingeredness with onscreen keyboards.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know. The space in my pockets is dear, so carrying an 8"x5" device that has questionable phone quality just doesn't do it for me.

I want a Jitterbug!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Southerner wrote:My biggest gripe with tablets is my fumblefingeredness with onscreen keyboards.
My biggest gripe was no arrow keys on the standard Jelly Bean keyboard. That's fine for a cell phone - you're not going to be typing your novel on a 4" screen. But 7" is the "maybe you can if you want to" size point - it's supposed to be the best of both worlds. Not being able to navigate around a block of text quickly and accurately is silly. Thus, the apple bluetooth keyboard for when I'm writing. They pair up just fine, it's super convenient and lightweight. You can get a roll-up one if you need even more space-saving, but for my purposes it's a total win.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
Southerner wrote:My biggest gripe with tablets is my fumblefingeredness with onscreen keyboards.
My biggest gripe was no arrow keys on the standard Jelly Bean keyboard. That's fine for a cell phone - you're not going to be typing your novel on a 4" screen. But 7" is the "maybe you can if you want to" size point - it's supposed to be the best of both worlds. Not being able to navigate around a block of text quickly and accurately is silly. Thus, the apple bluetooth keyboard for when I'm writing. They pair up just fine, it's super convenient and lightweight. You can get a roll-up one if you need even more space-saving, but for my purposes it's a total win.
That sounds good. On the android side, I use a Logictech Bluetooth keyboard and a $48 HDMI dongle that smartens up my TV enough to do Googledocs. The Great American novel, though? Probably not... :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:
That sounds good. On the android side, I use a Logictech Bluetooth keyboard and a $48 HDMI dongle that smartens up my TV enough to do Googledocs. The Great American novel, though? Probably not... :wink:
Maybe you could fix the last running scooter in the south? :P
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Loving my Nexus 7. Had it a couple of months. For scooterists, I recommend:

* Glympse -- a neat GPS route-mapping app that lets you share your progress along a route to a select number of people via e-mail or Twitter. The tracking expires at the interval (0.25 - 4h) that you choose, and you can send updates or notes with it, as well ("I'm lost!" etc.);

* My Tracks -- not as easily shared, but great for mapping new ride routes, as the results can be exported to Google Maps and annotated, etc. Waypoint setting, info about speed and altitude... it's completely awesome for any Android device.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Someone who can do live wallpaper ought to get with Scooter in the Sticks guy, Steve, and pop out some more live wallpapers like this.