Odd dumb questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mousenut

Odd dumb questions

Post by Mousenut »

1) Brake then start button or start button then brake? I have been finding that I get fewer "skip starts" (where it spins but doesn't engage) when I start button then brake.

2) Mount then un-stand or un-stand then mount. Didn't know if it's less stress on the stand to un-stand it first, I can guarantee it's better if you have blacktop :)

3) Pull up on small shock slamming bumps or not so much? Manhole covers, RR tracks and odd bumps are like somebody taking a swing at my front tire with a softball bat and the little lift does seem to help but I don't love the idea at all.

4) Herkey-jerky balance act or foot down at almost stop situations (green light just changed but cars in front of you haven"t pulled away yet etc.)

I'm sure others have quirky crap they never thought to ask others so here is your opening...
TVB

Re: Odd dumb questions

Post by TVB »

Mousenut wrote:1) Brake then start button or start button then brake? I have been finding that I get fewer "skip starts" (where it spins but doesn't engage) when I start button then brake.
Brakes first. The point of that interlock is to make sure the brakes are applied, so I don't want the scooter starting at the same time I'm still applying them.
2) Mount then un-stand or un-stand then mount. Didn't know if it's less stress on the stand to un-stand it first, I can guarantee it's better if you have blacktop :)
I do one or the other, depending on whether I have to push the bike (like off the porch) before I can ride it. But if I'm "mounted" (i.e. in position), I don't actually sit on it while pushing it off the stand.
3) Pull up on small shock slamming bumps or not so much? Manhole covers, RR tracks and odd bumps are like somebody taking a swing at my front tire with a softball bat and the little lift does seem to help but I don't love the idea at all.
I don't pull up on the handlebars, but I do try to lift my butt off the seat before hitting significant bumps, so the scooter is freer to move under me. That requires planting your feet on the fake-metal foot grips to work.
4) Herkey-jerky balance act or foot down at almost stop situations (green light just changed but cars in front of you haven"t pulled away yet etc.)
I balance right up to the point where I know I'm going to need to start dancing to stay up, then I put a foot down.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mousenut wrote:1) Brake then start button or start button then brake? I have been finding that I get fewer "skip starts" (where it spins but doesn't engage) when I start button then brake.
Whatever works! :)
Mount then unstand. Much more stable. Slipping and dropping a scoot is not uncommon…
Don't pull up. Any kind of tension from your arms to the handlebars (pulling up, leaning down) reduces your ability to properly handle the scoot. You want to remain flexible so that if those bumps knock you one way or the other, you can respond and correct without overcorrecting. Stay loose on the grips. If you need to, stand up off the saddle a bit. But don't yank on the bars!
Balance. But I guess it's up the the rider and what they're comfortable with.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Never done it that way, nor have I ever had an issue with it not firing right up. If that works, then I see no harm.
I'd say do whatever works best for you. Since I'm very short, I take mine off the stand and then mount. I do it that way both because I don't have the weight and height to push it from the saddle and because I have a good solid hold from the side. For me it's easier and more stable to do it that way.

I do stand up when I have to go over a bump. I don't find it necessary to put my feet on the passenger platforms to do that, but I do have to be careful to not lean forward and hit my helmet on my windshield. I've never pulled up going over bumps.
That's your call. Obviously, draw the line at stability. If you're getting herky jerky enough that you might wind up turning the front wheel too much and going down, then you need to put a foot down.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just a note. Get THIS stand from scooterworks ( or whoever you like)

http://www.scooterworks.com/Centerstand ... -P649.aspx

It works so much better than stock IMO. I love mine.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Others have answered the rest of the questions but this one...
Mousenut wrote:3) Pull up on small shock slamming bumps or not so much? Manhole covers, RR tracks and odd bumps are like somebody taking a swing at my front tire with a softball bat and the little lift does seem to help but I don't love the idea at all.
As per the MSF course, when approaching bumps or other raised obstacles in the road, like a speed bump (or the pile of 2x4's they used in class)... slow down as you are approaching the obstacle, then accelerate just as you reach it. The acceleration raises the front end of the scooter/motorcycle thus lightening the load on the front wheel, and enabling the scooter/motorcycle to pass over the obstacle with greater ease.

I loved that part of the class.
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

viney266 wrote:Just a note. Get THIS stand from scooterworks ( or whoever you like)
http://www.scooterworks.com/Centerstand ... -P649.aspx
Don't think that'd fit on their Buddy 50 :)

It's a good stand tho, I've got one on my Atomic Fireball.