Battery Problem?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

squidsie

Battery Problem?

Post by squidsie »

Hi there!

I just bought my scooter 12 days ago and have not had any issues thus far. After filling up today, my scooter would not start :cry: It sounded like it wanted to start, but wouldnt. The blinkers and headlight lit up just fine so I figured it could not be the battery. After a few more tries, it no longer even sounded like it wanted to start.

Luckily, I was at a 76 gas station that has a little mechanic shop attached. I asked one of the guys to check it out. He tried starting it and instantly said "it's the battery". I said "the blinkers and lights light up just fine." In that moment when he checked, they did not light up.

He removed the floor matt and connected a battery tender thing to it. He explained that the signal was very low. We charged it up for about 10 minutes (i had to rush home and get ready for work), tried starting it up, and it worked just fine. He recommended I buy a new one.

When I got home and turned it off I tried restarting it just to see if it would, and it did.

Now I need some guidance please! I live in an apartment complex with really no outlets in the garage where I park. The person I bought the scooter from told me he kept it on a battery tender as he was no longer riding it everday. I thought I wouldn't have an issue as I have been riding it everyday since I purchased it. I have not taken it out for long strolls. Mostly just running errands around town and what not.

Could it be that the battery is just old and done in and I need to replace it? If so, where do I buy one? I looked on Scooterworks, but found nothing. How long does a battery life last?

Or do I just buy a battery tender and try to find somewhere I can charge it up consistently? Its hard to do this in an apartment complex. Also, I did not think I would need to do this if I am riding everyday.

Any advice would be helpful!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

How long are the rides you go on? If you are taking very short rides then the battery will not have time to replenish the charge it spends starting the scooter. You need to take at least about a 20-30 minute ride for the battery to recharge itself. Ride less and eventually you will end up with a dead battery.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Unfortunately, the rides have not been that long as I am still trying to find good routes in the Sacramento area. So I have been riding to the store, and appointment around town and what not.

So are you saying unless I can ride for a minimum of 30 minutes each time I ride then I need to keep it on a battery tender regardless if it is a new or old battery?

Thanks for the info!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Call scooterworks or Scooterwest...I've heard that they don't have everything they carry on their site. If that fails, google scooter batteries and make sure you have the book that came with the scoot to see what type of battery you need. I think they last 2-3 years (just guessing)... As for a socket for a tender, can you park next to your door and run an extention? Might not be possible if you lived upstairs down the hall tho :( Sorry thats all I got...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Yup, you need to take longer rides. Bummer... or I suppose you could go the battery tender route. But riding is more fun :)

Just so you know, you don't have to ride 30 minutes every single time. But you need to do it at least say, every 3rd or 4th time minimum to replenish the battery. And the longer you do the short hop thing the longer you'll need to ride to recharge the battery. Could be more than 30 minutes needed.
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've had mine a year and don't got a tender and pretty much do errands and I haven't had trouble... Did you try to kick start it?
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

I believe this might be the original battery it came with. It is a 2009 so that makes it a few years old. The original owner though bought it new a little over a year ago. I imagine that even a new scooter can require a new battery if it was not being ridden prior to purchase.

I guess I will need to ride longer after I buy a new one!
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Drum Pro wrote:I've had mine a year and don't got a tender and pretty much do errands and I haven't had trouble... Did you try to kick start it?
Yes, I tried to kick start it, but I found it very difficult to kickstart, therefore, I could not get it on :/
skully93

Post by skully93 »

there is an art to the kickstart. it took me a long time too. the 2t ones kick over in one or two tries.

with the 4t, you need to get it all lined up. someone here pointed it out and it hasn't failed me yet (I kickstart mine frequently just for fun).

Step gently on the kicker until it 'clicks'. Then release, and give it a couple good hard kicks. You might not get it at first, but with a little practice, you'll never have to be too worried about your battery.

Even so, in the hard winter I plan on keeping a spare battery around for each scooter on a tender. it's only for a couple of months.
TVB

Post by TVB »

You may be fine if you replace the battery. If it's 3 years old, short rides might not be enough to charge it, but a newer one will charge more easily. Start by addressing the mechanic's diagnosis (bad battery) and take it from there.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Considering you might get a new battery, I would also do the battery door mod. It's in the modern buddy "library". It basically let's you install a taller larger battery.
And I didn't even need snips, I just bent the pieces off. easy!

Now because of this, when I tender both of ours, the used Pamplona is always quicker to charge than my brand new Blackjack.

Maybe this would help you tender less. You could also think of getting two of these batteries and switch them out once a week....tendering one in your apt?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It doesn't matter what size battery you have in there, if you are not replacing the charge you are using, any battery will run out and go dead eventually. All you are doing is spending money to delay the inevitable.

Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

I figured we all had come to that conclusion, so mentioning it AGAIN would have been overkill and kind of a hand slap. But here goes. ;)
I said we use tenderers -we personally have to - but it takes less time to charge the bigger battery.
Which I thought might help lessen his pain if he HAS to take out his battery to tender it.

Plus, it was easy! I just want you to ride. I don't get to ride super long rides either so I get that part. I'm just lucky to have a garage in upstate NY. But when we travel to ATL I have to remove batteries from 2 scoots.....once a week to tender.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I will most likely purchase both: a new battery and the tender jr. and also make it a point to ride longer!
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Someone here on MB said they have 2 batteries. Since they live in an apartment, they don't have a plug to use the tender where they park the Buddy. So every once and awhile they switch batteries and take the run-down one into their apartment to hook it up to the tender. It's a bit of a pain, but it solves the problem. Fortunately, Buddy batteries are pretty small and light compared to a car battery.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Is changing out a battery relatively easy? I called a auto/scooter shop in my area to see if they have the YTX7A-BS in stock. They do and it cost $85! The guy also said they would need to service it which takes an hour and a half... which I assume will cost more for labor.

Is this switch something I could do myself? I bet I could find a battery for relatively cheap online. In the meantime, maybe head over to my local autozone and pick up the Battery Tender Jr to help the situation I am in now.
Also, I scoped out the garage and found an outlet. It's not in the most convenient place, but it would be better than bringing the battery up stairs.

I have no mechanical experience. I did just remove the floor mat and screws to check what type of battery the Buddy has. I know it was not hard to do at all, but I was impressed :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

All it takes to change the battery is knowing how to use a screwdriver and knowing the difference between red and black! :)

VERY easy.

If you do find you need a tender, the battery's easy to remove. Brining it inside and hooking it up once a month for 8 hours or so should be okay. I've charged them under my desk at my office.

My crappy kickstarting video!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oZA9JGmFqnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Thanks for the video, Eric. I just tried to kickstart her up and I failed miserably :( Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it sure is quite difficult.

Sounds like changing the battery will be something I can do on my own without shelling out too much money! All these things add up so quickly!

Does anyone recommend any certain brand for the battery? Or do they all kind of equal out to being the same thing?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

that was me. No outlet nearby!

At least in both of my scoots the battery is ridiculously easy to get to.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Looking at the picture in your avatar, it looks like the deadlights are hooked up. Those are the lights on the front of the scooter. They're not normally hooked up, so the person you bought it from did that. This is not a bad thing - I've got mine hooked up. It does add some visibility. But if you're only making short trips, then the deadlights add too much to the electrical for it to get recharged. For the short term, you might consider charging up the battery you have and running with those lights unplugged to see if that helps. However, your battery is probably old enough to need replacement anyhow. But... with the deadlights hooked up, a new one might suffer the same fate unless you keep it on a tender or take longer rides.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pdxrita wrote:Looking at the picture in your avatar, it looks like the deadlights are hooked up. Those are the lights on the front of the scooter. They're not normally hooked up, so the person you bought it from did that. This is not a bad thing - I've got mine hooked up. It does add some visibility. But if you're only making short trips, then the deadlights add too much to the electrical for it to get recharged. For the short term, you might consider charging up the battery you have and running with those lights unplugged to see if that helps. However, your battery is probably old enough to need replacement anyhow. But... with the deadlights hooked up, a new one might suffer the same fate unless you keep it on a tender or take longer rides.
Good call!

If the deadlights are connected as running lights (on all the time) and you use the bulbs that come with it, your battery will die! You pretty much have to switch to low-wattage LEDs. The lights are meant for use as blinkers and draw too much power to be on all the time.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Battery probably needs some water......

Karl
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
pdxrita wrote:Looking at the picture in your avatar, it looks like the deadlights are hooked up. Those are the lights on the front of the scooter. They're not normally hooked up, so the person you bought it from did that. This is not a bad thing - I've got mine hooked up. It does add some visibility. But if you're only making short trips, then the deadlights add too much to the electrical for it to get recharged. For the short term, you might consider charging up the battery you have and running with those lights unplugged to see if that helps. However, your battery is probably old enough to need replacement anyhow. But... with the deadlights hooked up, a new one might suffer the same fate unless you keep it on a tender or take longer rides.
Good call!

If the deadlights are connected as running lights (on all the time) and you use the bulbs that come with it, your battery will die! You pretty much have to switch to low-wattage LEDs. The lights are meant for use as blinkers and draw too much power to be on all the time.
BINGO. We have a winner. Good eyes PDXRita!

squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Isn't it good to have the dead lights hooked up to be running when the scooter is on? I thought it makes me more visible and is a safety issue? The scooter came like this and I like how it looks.

Now... If I get both items (battery and tender) and ride long trips daily, do you think I will continue havin this issue? I would rather not unhook these lights. I wouldnt know where to begin with that and I do really like how it looks.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

squidsie wrote:Isn't it good to have the dead lights hooked up to be running when the scooter is on? I thought it makes me more visible and is a safety issue? The scooter came like this and I like how it looks.

Now... If I get both items (battery and tender) and ride long trips daily, do you think I will continue havin this issue? I would rather not unhook these lights. I wouldnt know where to begin with that and I do really like how it looks.
I'm no expert, nor do I play one on TV I do not at this time have my 'dead lights' activated but it is recommended that you swap out the incandescent bulbs in there for LEDs, less power draw you'll not have such issues.

Yes, longer trips will help your battery recover via it's stator, I learned this last year when my commute to work was only 5 miles each way, KILLED the battery, now 25 miles each way I don't think there'd be a problem.......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

squidsie wrote:Isn't it good to have the dead lights hooked up to be running when the scooter is on? I thought it makes me more visible and is a safety issue? The scooter came like this and I like how it looks.

The deadlights/runninglights are great. I have them myself. But you must change the stock deadlight bulbs to LED bulbs or your battery will forever be dead (many others have been though this same dead battery issue you are now going through).
The Buddy does not generate enough juice to charge the battery AND run the extra two bulbs at the same time. Thus your battery is constantly being drained by the draw of the two extra bulbs, even while riding. Chances are your riding habits are fine AND your battery is fine. It's just that the extra power usage of the two extra bulbs is beyond the Buddy's charging ability. Switch your deadlights to LED bulbs and you should be AOK.

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

It is certainly desirable to have the deadlights on. But, as stated by others above me, it will drain your battery given your riding habits. I do have to contradict those who say that the lights will kill your battery no matter how much you ride. I've had mine hooked up, with stock bulbs, on both my deceased Italia and now on my 125 and have not had any battery issues. I commute to work 12 miles round trip with part of that ride being at or above 45 MPH. It adds up to about 30 minutes of actual ride time each day. Also, mine are hooked to the headlight wire (yellow) instead of the ignition wire (orange), so they don't turn on until my engine is running. So it is possible to run the stock bulbs and not tender your battery, but it really does depend on your riding habits and how the lights are wired. If yours turn on before you start your engine, then try to make a habit of not turning the key until you're ready to start. That might help.

As for unhooking them, should you decide to do it, even temporarily, just take off the front panel and reach behind them. You should find some wires coming off of them that are plugged into a harness (hopefully, depending on how the previous owner did it). Just unplug the two harnesses and they'll be dead. Tuck the wires in such that they won't be contacting anything metal until you're ready to hook 'em back up.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Sounds like I have a project this weekend!

Earlier today I went out to the garage to see if it would turn on. And sure enough with the first try, it started right up with no issues whatsoever. Could it be that the battery was given a good enough charge yesterday at the mechanic?

Well, i think for the meantime I will purchase the battery tender jr. & the LED bulbs and switch them out. I dont know if I am ready to mess around with any wiring just yet. I have only had the scooter for 13 days and I'm still learning so much about it!

Does the battery tender give info like if the battery is a dead one?

I imagine I could find the bulbs on line or autozone where i will be buying the tender tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyones help here.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pdxrita wrote:I do have to contradict those who say that the lights will kill your battery no matter how much you ride...
Are your deadlights hooked up as running lights or as turn signals?

squidsie

Post by squidsie »

@Skootz Kabootz: Can you tell me what type of running LED lights you have on your St Tropez?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

squidsie wrote:@Skootz Kabootz: Can you tell me what type of running LED lights you have on your St Tropez?
You know what, I've had them for about 3 years now and don't remember. But check this post. It's from when we were all figuring this stuff out. I think the info is in there: topic9599.html

Or you can do a Google site specific search for: deadlights to running lights site:modernbuddy.com
You'll find a ton of info there. I know one of those threads discusses LED options.

zuki

Post by zuki »

squidsie wrote:
Does the battery tender give info like if the battery is a dead one?

Thanks again for everyones help here.

The battery tender has a read light when the battery is low and then it turns to a flashing green light and when its done it turns to a solid green light.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
squidsie wrote:@Skootz Kabootz: Can you tell me what type of running LED lights you have on your St Tropez?
You know what, I've had them for about 3 years now and don't remember. But check this post. It's from when we were all figuring this stuff out. I think the info is in there: topic9599.html

Or you can do a Google site specific search for: deadlights to running lights site:modernbuddy.com
You'll find a ton of info there. I know one of those threads discusses LED options.
Thanks for the thread. It's very informative. I really like the warm lights that my scoot has. Im afraid the LEDS will be too bright and be more apparent than the headlight.

So many decisions and ways to go here! But at least I know that I dont want to go over 10 watts each. Do your dead LED lights give off the blinker signal too?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

squidsie wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:

Thanks for the thread. It's very informative. I really like the warm lights that my scoot has. Im afraid the LEDS will be too bright and be more apparent than the headlight.

So many decisions and ways to go here! But at least I know that I dont want to go over 10 watts each. Do your dead LED lights give off the blinker signal too?
I just have the running lights and I have them as bright white as I can get them. They really light up the road right in front of the scooter. Also, they create and uncommon triangle shape with the headlight that gets the attention of oncoming traffic. Great safety feature.

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
pdxrita wrote:I do have to contradict those who say that the lights will kill your battery no matter how much you ride...
They're hooked up as running lights. Maybe my riding habits just hit that sweet spot where it's enough to keep me charged. If I threw in any extra little 5 minute trips here and there, it might be enough to tip it the other way. I also think having them hooked up to the headlight wire makes a big difference. They're never drawing current unless the engine is running.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pdxrita wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
They're hooked up as running lights. Maybe my riding habits just hit that sweet spot where it's enough to keep me charged. If I threw in any extra little 5 minute trips here and there, it might be enough to tip it the other way. I also think having them hooked up to the headlight wire makes a big difference. They're never drawing current unless the engine is running.
Hmmm, interesting. Do you have different bulbs maybe? Because just the math of amps being used vs amps produced by the Buddy, the Buddy does not produce sufficient power to supply the load of running two additional 10W bulbs. We've seen it time and time again. So unless you are using a trickle charger on occasion to help, there must something else that is different from stock and working in your favor. I'm curious!

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
pdxrita wrote: They're hooked up as running lights.
Hmmm, interesting. Do you have different bulbs maybe? Because just the math of amps being used vs amps produced by the Buddy, the Buddy does not produce sufficient power to supply the load of running two additional 10W bulbs. We've seen it time and time again. So unless you are using a trickle charger on occasion to help, there must something else that is different from stock and working in your favor. I'm curious!
Nope. Absolutely nothing special. On both scoots, I've just installed the running light kit to the existing bulbs. I've never had my scooter on a trickle charger either. My Italia still had the stock battery when I wrecked it and it showed no signs of quitting. Other possible factors: I keep the scooter in a garage, both at home and work, so it's never left out in extreme temperatures, I'm very light weight so less of a load to pull.... Dunno.... maybe I'm just lucky. 8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pdxrita wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
pdxrita wrote: They're hooked up as running lights.
Nope. Absolutely nothing special. On both scoots, I've just installed the running light kit to the existing bulbs. I've never had my scooter on a trickle charger either. My Italia still had the stock battery when I wrecked it and it showed no signs of quitting. Other possible factors: I keep the scooter in a garage, both at home and work, so it's never left out in extreme temperatures, I'm very light weight so less of a load to pull.... Dunno.... maybe I'm just lucky. 8)
I'm going with lucky :)

squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Can anyone please direct me to a tutorial on here where I can learn how to remove my battery step-by-step? I got as far as removing the battery covering, but when it came down to actually removing the wires from the battery... I did not know what to do. I believe its negative first, then positive. But even then I am unsure how to remove the wiring from the silver screw bolts. I know this is probably a silly question, but I have no experience with anything mechanical and I dont want to screw anything up. I looked up and down on this forum for instructions and found nothing :/

I bought the battery tender jr snd have yet to tender the battery :/
any help would be greatly appreciated.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Your scooter should be a negatively grounded system, so yes remove the negative wire first then positive. Install reverse of take out (positive 1st). Hopefully you have slotted terminals with phillips head slots.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

I remember it like this.....BeeR....Black then Red. ;)

And then reverse for putting it back.

When I first got my scoot I was scared to death of the battery.

The members here were unbelievably helpful with my "fear".

Now after a year, I barely think about removing and reinstalling!

Don't worry, just remember the order and go for it, it won't bite.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

I have an idea on how to do it and I'm totally ready to gt my hands dirty! I read the instructions with these photos included on this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=417&highlight=removing+battery

I understand steps 1-4 completely. It's the extra note (A & B) at the bottom of the photo that is throwing me off! What does it mean to not remove the "sealed bolts"? It shows the silver bolts still on the battery after its been removed. But it seems that when I went to remove my battery I had to unscrew those bolts to remove the wiring. Am I misunderstanding something? Is the 2nd photo wrong here? Do the bolts stay attached to the wiring and then I have to remove the bolts from the wire and reattach to the battery before putting it on tender?

Maybe I need to stop asking questions and just remove the darn thing whichever way it will go and then get the tender on it! Wish me luck!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Good luck! from another non-wrencher....
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Remove the bolts to get the wires off. The only occasional hard thing for my new bigger battery is that I have to make sure the square nut that the bolt goes into is high enough for the bolt end to "grab". It's loose inside that "square" part. So if it won't grab, I put a temporary shim until it grabs.

That's it! Just do it!
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Oh, did I say, yes, you can screw them back in to give something to clamp to for tendering? That seemed obvious, but maybe not. ;)
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Gi the battery out. Tightened the bolts until it "grabbed" the loose square. Now do I connect the round connectors or the jumper cable looking ones? Or does it matter? Does not say in the instructions for he battery tender.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

I imagine I could just use the jumper cables like any regular battery gets charged. Thanks for the help!
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

I am officially charging! Red light is steady! Great feeling! Thanks for everyone's patience and help!
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Sorry, the grabbing the nut part was for re-installation in your scooter. It NEEDS to be attached to the loose nut. But during charging, screwing the bolts in part ways is optional if you want the alligator clips to have more to grip. Just a taller metal piece to attach to. Make sense? Sorry if I confused you before!