NOW SHOWING: Scooters in the San Diego Pride Parade

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

podpoet

NOW SHOWING: Scooters in the San Diego Pride Parade

Post by podpoet »

Following its world premier in front of more than a dozen lucky guests at Bamboo Lounge in Hillcrest last night, here, at last, is the music video documentary of our historic, first-ever scooter ride in the San Diego Pride Parade. I was proud to ride my 2008 Pamplona named El Toro in the Parade. Thanks again to Vespa Motorsports and Point Loma Scooters for being our chief sponsors!

Let's Get LOUD: The Movie

https://vimeo.com/47385285
pdxrita

Re: NOW SHOWING: Scooters in the San Diego Pride Parade

Post by pdxrita »

podpoet wrote:Following its world premier in front of more than a dozen lucky guests at Bamboo Lounge in Hillcrest last night, here, at last, is the music video documentary of our historic, first-ever scooter ride in the San Diego Pride Parade. I was proud to ride my 2008 Pamplona named El Toro in the Parade. Thanks again to Vespa Motorsports and Point Loma Scooters for being our chief sponsors!

Let's Get LOUD: The Movie

https://vimeo.com/47385285
That's cool, Podpoet. Two historic firsts for SD Pride, an officially sanctioned military contingent and a scooter contingent!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Looks like a great day! Way to represent! I rode in the DooDah Parade a couple of years here in LA and parades, any parade, be it expressing DooDah lunacy or Pride and civil rights, are so much fun to be in!! I'm sure you're looking froward to next year already! Good job!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
amy

Post by amy »

Awesome! I rode with Dykes on Bikes last year in Altanta and was the only scooter lol. Hopefully we'll have some more scoots this year!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

amy wrote:Awesome! I rode with Dykes on Bikes last year in Altanta and was the only scooter lol. Hopefully we'll have some more scoots this year!
One of these days, I might try to ride with the motorcycle contingent here. Years ago, we rode a motorcycle in SF pride. There were hundreds of motorcycles and they had us all fire up at once - one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard. Somehow, we wound up near the front. As is tradition, the bikes led the parade and we were about the 6th in line. It was one of those unforgettable moments. I have to say that riding with the dozen or so bikes here in Portland might be a bit of a letdown. :lol:
amy

Post by amy »

pdxrita wrote:
amy wrote:Awesome! I rode with Dykes on Bikes last year in Altanta and was the only scooter lol. Hopefully we'll have some more scoots this year!
One of these days, I might try to ride with the motorcycle contingent here. Years ago, we rode a motorcycle in SF pride. There were hundreds of motorcycles and they had us all fire up at once - one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard. Somehow, we wound up near the front. As is tradition, the bikes led the parade and we were about the 6th in line. It was one of those unforgettable moments. I have to say that riding with the dozen or so bikes here in Portland might be a bit of a letdown. :lol:
Yeah, I used to live in SF and there is nothing like that parade! Its the best! The Atlanta contingent isn't as large as SF either, but its still amazing when the crowd sees a scoot amongst the bigger bikes. Also, I mount a child's bicycle horn on my mirror and toot it. The crowd loves it!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

why not "gay" pride? is it pc not to say it now, do they want to be more inclusive, or is it just stating the obvious so they don't state it?

first time i can think "scooters are gay" and feel good about it :)
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:why not "gay" pride? is it pc not to say it now, do they want to be more inclusive, or is it just stating the obvious so they don't state it?
I can't speak for the folks in San Diego, but I would guess it's primarily to avoid a community debate over what terms to use. What started out as "gay pride" became "lesbian and gay pride" when the women pointed out that to a lot of people gay means "homosexual men". That became "lesbian, gay, bisexual pride" to acknowledge that sexual orientation is a continuum, and "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender pride" to acknowledge that gender is a continuum, and what about people who don't feel that any of those labels fit them....

Dropping all of the adjectives fits better on a t-shirt. :)

We don't have a parade around here for Pride Day, so no scooting opportunity for me. :( (And don't suggest that I try to organize one; I served my time on that committee years ago.)
amy

Post by amy »

TVB wrote:
JHScoot wrote:why not "gay" pride? is it pc not to say it now, do they want to be more inclusive, or is it just stating the obvious so they don't state it?
I can't speak for the folks in San Diego, but I would guess it's primarily to avoid a community debate over what terms to use. What started out as "gay pride" became "lesbian and gay pride" when the women pointed out that... EDITED TO SAVE SPACE
Very good! I didn't really think anything of it...I tend to casually shorten it simply because it seemed obvious, like JHScoot said. Good to know! Its also nice to see people representin' on their scoots!

:D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Great!

we went to the local SQREAM scooter rally this year. We skipped the parade, as besides being straight it's also a really loooooong ride around Denver. Pride is a huge event here that shuts down sections of the city for the day.

It's just too darn hot to scooter around in the 105 degree weather at 5mph :P.
basilfawlty

Post by basilfawlty »

A pink Vespa? we saw in last weekend's Vancouver Pride Parade. It was offered in a raffle after the parade. Here's hoping it ends up being the Mrs' new ride!

agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Looks like GrandPa is either to heavy for that pinkster or the rear tire is in serious need of air.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

basilfawlty wrote:A pink Vespa? we saw in last weekend's Vancouver Pride Parade. It was offered in a raffle after the parade. Here's hoping it ends up being the Mrs' new ride!
I don't think that's a Vespa. Looks more like a Vino to me. Still, if you got it for free, it'd be fun to have it in your stable.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pdxrita wrote:
basilfawlty wrote:A pink Vespa? we saw in last weekend's Vancouver Pride Parade. It was offered in a raffle after the parade. Here's hoping it ends up being the Mrs' new ride!
I don't think that's a Vespa. Looks more like a Vino to me. Still, if you got it for free, it'd be fun to have it in your stable.
I rode a pink Buddy in a parade here… and it wasn't even Pride!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:I rode a pink Buddy in a parade here… and it wasn't even Pride!
But we were proud of you! :wink: You definitely rocked the pink Buddy. It was a most excellent day to be sure.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |