[NSR] Shipping methods/costs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

[NSR] Shipping methods/costs

Post by charlie55 »

I just purchased a 12mm compression tester adapter on ebay for about $10 (7 + 3 shipping, USPS, 1st class). It's basically a three inch tube, tapped for 12mm at one end, and 14mm at the other, so package size/weight isn't really much of a consideration.

What's got me stumped is the fact that the same adapter, when priced from internet retailers, goes for as little as 3 bucks but with shipping via UPS or Fedex at around 11 bucks!. I've even seen it as high as $20 (5 + 15 shipping) - same manufacturer, same part number, UPS or Fedex.

First of all, why in hell would you bother with all of the UPS/Fedex rigamarole when you could just put it in a padded envelope and drop it in the mail? Secondly, why choose a shipping service that raises your total price point so ridiculously high, especially for such an obviously small package?
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Legit delivery confirmation maybe? Better tracking? They are set up for that shipper in some sort of automated fashion? Conspiracy?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

And still vendors don't seem to accept "If it fits it ships".
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'd go with tracking as the primary reason people don't use USPS. When I sell things that need to be shipped, I want tracking just in case the recipient tries to claim they never got it. As a buyer, I like knowing when the package is going to arrive. That being said, I do hate paying the higher shipping costs on small inexpensive items. In those cases, I'd rather take my chances since the shipping cost is sometimes greater than the item cost.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Tracking/delivery confirmation is available via the USPS, and it only costs about $0.65. I use it every time I sell something on ebay, and it's always been reliable.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

charlie55 wrote:Tracking/delivery confirmation is available via the USPS, and it only costs about $0.65. I use it every time I sell something on ebay, and it's always been reliable.
I agree that some of the shipping situations for small items are nuts. But USPS tracking/delivery confirmation (at least the $.65 variety) isn't true tracking in my experience. It usually tells you when it leaves and when it gets there. But that's about it. I have had USPS lose things that had that delivery confirmation number and they couldn't tell me a single thing about where it was last seen!
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

I have been told that the green label "Delivery Confirmation" is just that, confirmation of when something was delivered. It gives nothing else. It sadly doesn't even guarantee that it will even be actualy delivered, just confirms when and if it happens.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Yeah, you can only get real "tracking" with express or priority mail.

I always use priority mail flat rate because 99% of what I sell can fit in a small box (which would easily be the case with that adapter I purchased). So, you get the whole nine yards of service for 6 bucks as opposed to 10+ for UPS.

Might not sound like much of a difference, but you'd be surprised at how even such a modest savings appeals to potential buyers.