LA/SOCAL : ADVENTURISTS : Perseids Meteor Shower Night Ride

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

LA/SOCAL : ADVENTURISTS : Perseids Meteor Shower Night Ride

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

As quick as that after our Ride#1, it's time for our Ride#2!

8/11/12 : THE PERSEIDS METEOR SHOWER NIGHT RIDE
The Perseids Meteor Shower is back for its annual light show and Aug 11 is the night it peaks. Join the Adventurists for a rare night ride to the top of the Little Tajunga Canyon (the darkest place with the least amount of light pollution I can think of) and enjoy some of the most optimal meteor viewing in the Los Angeles area.

THE RIDE:
The best viewing is from midnight to 5am in the northeast sky so we will meet at 10:30pm and roll out at 11pm to arrive at the top of Little Tajunga Canyon Rd. near midnight. With a clear view of nearly 360º of sky, we'll hang out ooohing and aaahing for an hour or so and then head back to civilization.

Needless to say, since we are riding at night on twisty, dark, mountain roads, this will be a challenging ride and we will be as slow and cautious as needed.

!! WARNING !!
This is an extreme night ride! Night time through unlit twisty mountain/canyon roads is serious stuff and nothing to be taken lightly. Before you RSVP make sure you fully understand what you will be getting yourself in to!

For full ride information and to join the Adventurists Scooter Group please visit: www.meetup.com/AdventuristsScooterGroup

Thanks! I look forward to seeing you there!

Skootz / Justin

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Rob

Post by Rob »

Now that is a ride!!!!!!

I've ridden MCs and scoots long enough that not too many things get me on edge. But .... I think this ride would definitely get my blood flowing.

This will be one helluva great time. I get more envious with every one of your posts about the adventure rides.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Heh, I gotta admit, I am pretty excited for this one! There will be a bit of a moon that night, so not quite as dark as it could be, but it really should be a pretty spectacular ride. And then there's the meteors! I'm just crossing my fingers it's not overcast that night.

I rode out Mulholland Highway (another very twisty road) by myself a couple of years ago to see the meteors and it was amazing fun at night. I had just upgraded my headlight to the PIAA Super Plasma and remember how glad I was that I did!

The other thing that is so amazing is how quiet it is in these remote areas late at night. A really nice change from the steady hum of the city.

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:The other thing that is so amazing is how quiet it is in these remote areas late at night. A really nice change from the steady hum of the city.
If you could only convey that to Julie. She hates, make that "loathes", when I go riding at night. Granted, it's usually on the parkway out to Mt. Vernon and back. She doesn't seem to understand how tranquil and relaxing it is to be out when the road is empty. She thinks it's a road "infested with deer", which is the farthest from the truth. You may spot one on occassion, but it's minimal. I love a night riiiide!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Going to try to make it! Busy working weekend for me—you know how that is.

Hoping for clear skies!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:The other thing that is so amazing is how quiet it is in these remote areas late at night. A really nice change from the steady hum of the city.
If you could only convey that to Julie. She hates, make that "loathes", when I go riding at night...
Hey, be happy you have someone who cares enough to worry about you! I think though that a night ride is perhaps far less dangerous than what you do for a living every day, wouldn't you say? Maybe you should just take Julie along for one of your night rides so she can experience the beauty first hand.
ericalm wrote:Going to try to make it! Busy working weekend for me—you know how that is.

Hoping for clear skies!
Yes, I do! Hope you can make it. My fingers are crossed for clear skies too. If Saturday is clouded over TBD we may try again Sunday night.

teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Please ride safely! Angeles Crest has had some bike accidents lately with fresh oil on the road. I don't remember exactly where but it may have been closer to Wrightwood. It's usually pretty good as far as gravel goes but be extra careful!

We'll be at Pantages tonight. Maybe I can talk Kevin into coming home via AC. Any idea where you'll be on Little Tujunga?
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

teacherquinn wrote:Please ride safely! Angeles Crest has had some bike accidents lately with fresh oil on the road. I don't remember exactly where but it may have been closer to Wrightwood. It's usually pretty good as far as gravel goes but be extra careful!

We'll be at Pantages tonight. Maybe I can talk Kevin into coming home via AC. Any idea where you'll be on Little Tujunga?
More oil? Who does this stuff? I hope they catch the f'er. On top of that I expect there will be fresh debris in the road too after the rains today. Hopefully the rain will also have washed away any oil.

We're stopping at the very crest Little Tajunga Cyn. (the parking lot by Forest Ranger Station, coming from LA if you start going downhill you've gone too far). We're rolling out from Burbank at 11pm. Map and details are at the ride page.

It would be great to have you two there! Do you think you can make it to meet us by 11?

teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Just checked your route. Looks fun! No, the show is 3 hours and has probably a 20 minute intermission. We'll head home and watch the meteors up here!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I love the peaceful late night ride,too

As a space/astronomy Geek, I'll be out tonight watching. Good hunting all!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was too pooped to do this kind of ride after spending the day in the heat! Well, about half the day. Damn, this weather is sucking all my energy!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Took the family out in the yard ( where we live is pretty dark). and watched, slept in the yard till the sun came up. we all saw a few during the night. Good family time.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Too bad you missed it Eric. The ride was great. Really fun to ride the mountain twisties at night. Beautiful too. But the meteors weren't as plentiful as I had hoped. We did see some awesome stuff though. The biggest surprise was that the light pollution was still significant considering how far out in the middle of nowhere as we were. I wasn't expecting that. I guess next year we'll just have to ride somewhere even more remote! I'm excited already :)

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Too bad you missed it Eric. The ride was great. Really fun to ride the mountain twisties at night. Beautiful too. But the meteors weren't as plentiful as I had hoped. We did see some awesome stuff though. The biggest surprise was that the light pollution was still significant considering how far out in the middle of nowhere as we were. I wasn't expecting that. I guess next year we'll just have to ride somewhere even more remote! I'm excited already :)
I kind of thought that might be the case with the light. It's still an overlook above huge, populated areas. Did you ride out with Sergio last night?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Too bad you missed it Eric. The ride was great. Really fun to ride the mountain twisties at night. Beautiful too. But the meteors weren't as plentiful as I had hoped. We did see some awesome stuff though. The biggest surprise was that the light pollution was still significant considering how far out in the middle of nowhere as we were. I wasn't expecting that. I guess next year we'll just have to ride somewhere even more remote! I'm excited already :)
I kind of thought that might be the case with the light. It's still an overlook above huge, populated areas. Did you ride out with Sergio last night?
No. My meteor gazing is done for this year.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:For next year's planning:
http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sk ... ected_id=1
Where do you find this stuff???? :lol: