Shopping for my first scooter...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eva-01

Shopping for my first scooter...

Post by eva-01 »

So after a spring and summer of periodically riding a friend's Yamaha Vino, I've decided to invest in a scooter of my own. After some research, I was set on getting a Genuine Buddy. Would love to get a Blackjack, but it is difficult finding a 3 year old limited edition model, go figure. After about a month of shopping, I've got a couple options now:
1) Found a Brand New Blackjack for $2799, OTD would be probably $3300-$3400.
2) Friend of a friend would sell me his Psycho for $2100, has 400+ miles but otherwise supposedly like new.

What to do, what to do? Are either of these deals great?

I've been lurking here for a bit and the community seems very knowledgeable, so I thought I would bounce my situation off everyone. Any advice, opinions, or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Both of those prices, for what you're getting, sound pretty good to me. I'd say the deciding factors are:
1) Do you care about the engine size difference? The Blackjack is a 150, while the Psycho is a 125. By all accounts, though, the Psycho has a lot of extra oomph over a standard 125, which is also not bad.
2) Do you need to spend less money? Self explanatory.
3) Do you care about the warranty? Since the Pyscho is used, it will have no warranty. Personally, I've purchased two used Buddy's so far and have never regretted not having a warranty. These things are very dependable.
eva-01

Post by eva-01 »

1) & 3) - So this is one of my dilemmas, is the extra 25cc, Prima exhaust, 2 year warranty, and preferred color worth $1000+ more money. For what I am going to use the scooter for, the 25cc probably won't matter. Prima exhaust can be bought and installed on the Psycho as well. 2 year warranty would be nice, but most people (as you can attest to) seem to not have too many issues with their Buddy's, as long as they are cared for. So it really then comes down to the color.
2) - I was budgeting $2500 to spend on the scoot, so the Psycho is no problem, but I could swing the Blackjack too. It would just be lean for a few months, lots of ramen and mac & cheese.

Rational side of me is saying get the Psycho, the other one is over 50% more. Emotional side is saying Blackjack, love that black & red combo.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'd say get the black jack. The up grades that came standard is worth it imo. Of course only you can decide but what ever you get you won't be disappointed. Just remember you'll need gear as well...
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'd go for the Psycho. Both are going to be reliable and plenty peppy, and the price difference is not pocket change (at least not for most people). If you really dig the red highlights... paint them yourself.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I'd love it if I could find a new Blackjack for that price!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, with the Blackjack, you'd be getting the Prima pipe, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, sportier seat, bigger engine, two year warranty, and two year roadside assist. I'd say it's worth it, but that's just me.

There's been some chatter here about different gearing in the Psycho. It would be really cool if a couple of owners could do a bake-off between the two.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

both are great!

I did think the psycho had some similar suspension upgrades and such, but no big deal if it doesn't.

I do really like the pipe for that size Buddy though, and at times they get tough to find. I've not been on a psycho, but the blackjack was very smooth for 10" wheels, and over the years I will look to replace stock parts with the upgrades.
eva-01

Post by eva-01 »

I was under the impression that the suspension upgrades & brake upgrades were the same between the two as well. If anyone out there has ridden both can share their opinion, that would be great.

If the price difference between the 2 was just a bit closer, but as is the Blackjack is going to be over 50% more expensive than the Psycho.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

You can compare the specs on Genuine's website.
http://genuinescooters.com/psycho.html#Specs
http://genuinescooters.com/blackjack.html#Specs

It looks like the upgrades are pretty similar, with the possible exception of the Stebel horn on the Blackjack.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Oh, yeah, I forgot the Psycho has the upgrades. My bad.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Well if the Psyco has the upgrades then I'd go for it then. At least you'll have some leftover money for food and most importaintly gear.