Cleaning/Waxing your ride? (Advice)

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tristik

Cleaning/Waxing your ride? (Advice)

Post by Tristik »

~~
So I just picked up a Blur last week. I've driven nothing but beater cars, so I've never bothered with proper cleaning/waxing. The closest I've come to an actual wash was a $5.00 slip through an auto car wash.

I'd like some suggestion and such as far as what you folks use to clean and wax your rides. In the manual, it says to only use soap/water on the matte black parts of the bike, but it doesn't say what KIND of soap.

I just want to keep my new beast looking like new w/o wearing down the colors/finishes/etc.

Any advice on what you guys use to clean the body panels/matte parts/chrome parts, would be greatly appreciated.
~~
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Have a few bikes with matt black surfaces and gloss plastic. Pick up a few cans of Honda spray cleaner. It is a cleaner and wax and i use it with a clean soft rag to go over my entire bike. Start with the wind screen and upper areas and work your down. Spray dead bugs and let it sit for a few minutes then they come off no problem. If you have lots of dust and dirt wash it off first with straight water. For a real dirty bike pick up a bottle of bike cleaner. First you wet the bike then spray with the cleaner and wait a few minutes then spray off. To remove all the extra water get on the scoot for a good 10 mile high speed run!

Always check the bike from loose or broken parts when you clean it up.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I use a spray bottle with water. You can add a little woolite to that for soap if you desire. I use car waxes on the bike a few times a year. "Soap" should be either woolite or car washing soap so as not to remove wax. If you use dishwashing soap it will strip everything off and you will need to rewax.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

DO NOT armor all your seat, grips, or tires. Don't ask me how I know that.

Just a little dish soap or the liquid soap they sell at auto parts stores. They sell tire cleaner if you're that nerded out, but don't put it on the treads. Engine cleaner will wash the grime right off the engine, but be careful about getting it on wires and plastic and rubber. There are actually probably infinite products you can buy/use but soap and water always does the trick for me.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.