Power outlet not working

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chasemcmorr

Power outlet not working

Post by chasemcmorr »

My power outlet is not working and not really sure if it has ever worked, any ideas?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Could have blown the 1A fuse on this circuit. Easy to do.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If you've ever (a) plugged in a high-current-draw device (like heated gloves, etc.) or (b) used a charger through the power jack such as the full-sized Battery Tender or Battery Tender Plus (charging current > 1 amp), this fuse will blow.

To fix: the fuse is in a holder under the front cover. You need to remove the two screws on the upper part of the legshield (on the driver's side of the shield), plus one more on the front of the cover. Gently remove the cover, and the 1A fuse is in a holder somewhat near the power jack. 1A fuses are a bit hard to find at the auto-parts store, but it seems OK to use a 2A fuse. Don't upgrade to a big honkin' fuse just to run bigger accessories - you'll melt down some wiring for sure.

The Battery Tender Jr. can be used to charge the battery through the power jack if you buy the optional accessory plug for it. It charges at only 0.75A, which keeps the fuse intact.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

Mine has never worked but I'm ready to tackle this. When you say 1A fuse, are there different ones or will ANY 1A fuse work? For example, will this one work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103770

Sorry for the ignorance!!!!
tenshi

Post by tenshi »

@ opposable_thumbs, the one you linked to will not work. The one it use is a blade fuse, but I can't remember which size, mini or ATO.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm pretty sure it's a 'standard' blade fuse (for lack of a better term, like the ones in most automotive fuse boxes) - it's not the really tiny mini-blade, nor is it the barrel fuse shown above at Radio Shack.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I just discovered I had a power outlet last week when I was cleaning my scoot. The only thing I have to plug into it is a radar detector......srsly.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Definitely the 1A ATO [LINK]. I blew mine when I was turning my deadlights into running lights. It is pretty hard to find 1a fuses, though. I had to put a special order in at autozone (or some place like that). 2A fuses are easier to find. That's what I use and I haven't had a single problem.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rsrider wrote:I just discovered I had a power outlet last week when I was cleaning my scoot. The only thing I have to plug into it is a radar detector......srsly.
How about a Battery Tender Jr? That is the handiest thing to plug into the Buddy 12V outlet.
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

jonlink wrote:Definitely the 1A ATO [LINK]. I blew mine when I was turning my deadlights into running lights. It is pretty hard to find 1a fuses, though. I had to put a special order in at autozone (or some place like that). 2A fuses are easier to find. That's what I use and I haven't had a single problem.
Thank you!!!!!!!
Juddly450

phone charger on black jack :(

Post by Juddly450 »

I turned to this thread as the charger on my Blackjack has not worked since I purchased from a private seller. I changed the fuse (2A) and plugged in my phone charger: The charger light flashed on for a split second, then stopped. I changed the fuse, tried a different changer and boom, same thing.

Is the 2A to powerful? Not sure where to look for a short as I pulled the front cover and all the wires look clean.

Suggestions? help?! Thanks so much!
jonlink

Re: phone charger on black jack :(

Post by jonlink »

Juddly450 wrote:I turned to this thread as the charger on my Blackjack has not worked since I purchased from a private seller. I changed the fuse (2A) and plugged in my phone charger: The charger light flashed on for a split second, then stopped. I changed the fuse, tried a different changer and boom, same thing.

Is the 2A to powerful? Not sure where to look for a short as I pulled the front cover and all the wires look clean.

Suggestions? help?! Thanks so much!
If the fuses keep blowing you have something else wrong. Either your phone charger is trying to draw too much or you have a short. The easy way to figure it out is to try using the charger jack to charge something else. If that blows it too, you probably have a short. If not, it is your cellphone charger.

2A (2 amp) fuses actually allow the charger jack to draw more one more amp than it was design to (it comes with a 1A fuse), so if it is blowing it is definitely not the fuses fault.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I blew mine the 2nd week I had Gizmo cos I didn't know at the time that it couldn't handle an auto 12 volt tire inflater. But had the shop fix it when I went in for Gizmo's regular check up....
Juddly450

Post by Juddly450 »

Thanks for the input guys...will attempt alternative source tonight...Wiring looked clean so, hoping it doesn't turn into a search for the short party. Will post update this evening!
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

went through the same thing when I blew the 1A fuse when I tried a portable plug-in tire inflator...helluva a job for the shop, especially with a front rack installed; I've basically resorted to NOT using it again for anything larger than a phone charger...

stupid idea to put one in there with ONLY a 1A fuse...can't really use it for anything other than a phone charger :x
TVB

Post by TVB »

kmrcstintn wrote:stupid idea to put one in there with ONLY a 1A fuse...can't really use it for anything other than a phone charger :x
Well, that is what they put it there for. And it's what the wiring is designed to support.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

In my defence I was a total noob.. Now I never even use the charger thing-y.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

LOVE that charger. Especially for longer trips. It is so nice to be able to keep my phone or ipod charged up. It has definitely saved me more than once!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Juddly450

Post by Juddly450 »

Well, I tried another phone changer just to test it out on my gf's 125...works like a champ. But, as soon as I went to plug it into my bj it started to smoke a little so, unplugged it of course.

I can go through some of the grounds to make sure they're tight but, other than that...suggestions on where to begin the troubleshoot/search for short? I do not have any other battery issues whatsoever.

Thanks!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Juddly450 wrote:Well, I tried another phone changer just to test it out on my gf's 125...works like a champ. But, as soon as I went to plug it into my bj it started to smoke a little so, unplugged it of course.

I can go through some of the grounds to make sure they're tight but, other than that...suggestions on where to begin the troubleshoot/search for short? I do not have any other battery issues whatsoever.

Thanks!
Are you still under warrantee? Take it to the dealer and let them fix it.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Juddly450

Post by Juddly450 »

Well....good news. I fixed it! After changing yet another fuse and testing with a voltmeter I saw that power was in fact getting to the 2 prongs on the backside of the charger. But, as soon as I plug something in it would short.

So, finally in sufficient light I saw there were a (-) and a (+) sign under each of the prongs that I had not seen before. For some strrrrrrange reason the black ground was hooked up to the (+)! so, switched em to the correct input and all is well!

Lessons learned? 1. use sufficient lighting always, 2. sometimes the simple fix is all that is needed!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

I just did this with a 5A blade fuse, and it seems to be working just fine! Will update later on and let you know if my phone blows up or anything :-)