frequent riding through the tunnel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bimbom

frequent riding through the tunnel

Post by bimbom »

I frequently go through the Holland tunnel to NYC, and was wondering if there is anything I can do (which is practical), to avoid inhaling a ton of fumes.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

What options are you already considering?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

unless you want to ride in a gas mask, I would start by having a FF helmet and sealing up all the vents through the tunnel.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

tortoise wrote:What options are you already considering?
dont inhale.
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

VinylDoctor wrote:
tortoise wrote:What options are you already considering?
dont inhale.
I've thought about this, and quite frankly it would work if you rode through at 55mph and were out in a minute.

reality: 20mph and miserable traffic.

Also I imagine holding my breath and then being midway through needing a huge gasp of air. One big gasp and I inhale a nice concentration of fumes. Better to continually take little breaths through the tunnel, I think.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Mousenut wrote:Image
Does it have bluetooth? :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Scuba gear, like the guy who set his house on fire and explained how he escaped by donning his scuba gear and crawled out the window. :shock:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Over in China{as others too} you often see 2 wheel vehicles with riders wearing something over their mouth and nose.Is this just plain cloth or is the cloth actually something that actually filters particles?

Just a thought.
Aerosmith, None Other.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

BuddyLicious wrote:Over in China{as others too} you often see 2 wheel vehicles with riders wearing something over their mouth and nose.Is this just plain cloth or is the cloth actually something that actually filters particles?

Just a thought.
I think your talking about a medical mask.
That might work actually cause you can wear it under a helmet.
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

this looks interesting, and not too expensive:

http://totobobo.com/buy.html
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

C'mon, a 'medical' mask will only filter some particulates, doing nothing whatsoever against exhaust fumes. I'm afraid you'll have to either suck it up or find a bridge.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

PeteH wrote:C'mon, a 'medical' mask will only filter some particulates, doing nothing whatsoever against exhaust fumes. I'm afraid you'll have to either suck it up or find a bridge.
Yes and no. Exhaust fumes are still a combination of NO, NO2, CO, CO2, SO4, and some nasty large particles from older diesel trucks. The only thing that would work would be to get a decent mask that could filter particulates. Not sure what size would work though....
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Count yourself lucky that you don't have to cross the Gowanus Canal every day.

Cowabunga, surf's up in Brooklyn........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HzWOOqPAEgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Checkout this out http://www.filt-rmask.com/index.php/fil ... -mask.html it's called Filt-R.

"Quick Overview

The revolutionary new air filter mask that delivers the highest degree of safety from harmful pollutants with comfortable simplicity. So effective and easy to use it is suitable for all indoor and outdoor activities. Fully adjustable, washable and reuseable. filt-R mask will maximize your protection against Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide, Sulfur Dioxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, photochemical pollutants, pollens and more. "
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Guy dry heaving while taking the video is a nice touch......gag me with a spoon, eh?

Rob
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

TroutBum wrote:Checkout this out http://www.filt-rmask.com/index.php/fil ... -mask.html it's called Filt-R.

"Quick Overview

The revolutionary new air filter mask that delivers the highest degree of safety from harmful pollutants with comfortable simplicity. So effective and easy to use it is suitable for all indoor and outdoor activities. Fully adjustable, washable and reuseable. filt-R mask will maximize your protection against Hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide, Sulfur Dioxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, photochemical pollutants, pollens and more. "
Nice claims, but I couldn't find any real data on their website. Also makes me suspicious when companies sprinkle their sites with government agency logos as if to imply some sort of endorsement. Sounds like a load of puffery to me.

Here's the lowdown on the company.

http://www.importgenius.com/importers/filt-r
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Found this on Modern Vespa.

http://www.respro.com/
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

You're looking for this level of filtration:
3M P95 Organic Respirator Assembly
Might work with a 1/2 helmet, probably wouldn't fit a 3/4 one.
They're suitable for use while spray painting;and should work ok on exhaust fumes (assuming there's enough oxygen present, and there should be).

$24 each, 3M sells them directly only in cases of 12. Ought to be available at your friendly neighborhood hardware store, though.

You'll look like you're ready for the Zombie Apocalypse or Shanghai traffic, though.

Before they came out with Claratin, I seriously considered riding with something like this.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Like working in the coal mine! You can try a damp bandana, or just a dry bandana to filter some of the particles, but the biggest threat will be elevated carbon monoxide exposure if stuck in traffic for a lengthy period of time. Surprisingly, the tunnel is well ventilated, just like a coal mine. You can smell the exhaust, but it will take a substantial amount of time of exposure every day to really become something to worry about. You can give yourself more space from the vehicles ahead of you, that way their exhaust rises up and not directly in your face at the same time.
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

Nothing but the full respirator will give you full protection. I worked on a refinery and the workers had to be fitted for respirators and couldn't have facial hair that would get in the way (they all had mustaches though). Those dust masks are more the wearer not contaminating anything or getting any kind of splashing into their mouths. Particulates and pollution that are suspended in air will just go around gaps in these.

I do see the filt-r mask thing as a good alternative though. Looks like it has decent coverage (minus the nose area :? ).