Defeat! (UPDATE 2: just success!)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonlink

Defeat! (UPDATE 2: just success!)

Post by jonlink »

First the success: Front shocks are incredibly easy to install. I did that in about fifteen minutes.

Failure: changing tires sucks more than anything I've ever done. Getting the tires off wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either. But putting on the K61 with its stupidly rigid walls and tire irons was the most frustrating thing I've done in a long while. Finally got it I set one bead by hand and then use my pump to try the other nothing. So, I went out ON A BICYCLE :x rode two miles and picked up a 3gal/100psi/1scfm compressor from Harbor Freight which I had to walk back with. "Here we go" I though, "success doesn't always come cheap, but I'll have done the job myself." Hooked everything up and... Still nothing!

Fine, you win tire! :cry:
Last edited by jonlink on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdxrita

Re: Defeat!

Post by pdxrita »

jonlink wrote:First the success: Front shocks are incredibly easy to install. I did that in about fifteen minutes.

Failure: changing tires sucks more than anything I've ever done. Getting the tires off wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either. But putting on the K61 with its stupidly rigid walls and tire irons was the most frustrating thing I've done in a long while. Finally got it I set one bead by hand and then use my pump to try the other nothing. So, I went out ON A BICYCLE :x rode two miles and picked up a 3gal/100psi/1scfm compressor from Harbor Freight which I had to walk back with. "Here we go" I though, "success doesn't always come cheap, but I'll have done the job myself." Hooked everything up and... Still nothing!

Fine, you win tire! :cry:
Do you have a good tie down strap? I always take a tie down strap, wrap it directly around the tire, and cinch is down as tight as possible. If you get it right, that compressor should be enough to set it. You might also try loosening the valve core so more air can get in there all at once. If that doesn't work, take it to your friendly local tire shop and ask very kindly if they'll give you a quick puff of air.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yeah, I seat my Michelin S1's with the smallest pancake compressor HF sells.
Strange the Heidenau's bead won't seat.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

+1 on the valve core. Tire places just take them out completely when seating. Here is an example of a valve tool. And be sure to use plenty of slippery stuff (dish soap, tire grease) to help get the bead to seat.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Try first letting the tire and rim set in the sun for a few hours then spary WD 40, or windex, or spoy water on the bead area. Wrap a tie down strap and it it with no more than 50 lbs of air pressure. Some times I will get he tire to hold air and a bead stilll has not set and just give 10 minutes, go I have taken a rubber hammer and hit the rim in the area of the bead being stuck. If that still does not work can you get to a tire shop and let them set the bead with a large high volume set up.
You have to be careful not to use to high of pressure so as not to cause a tire explosion.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Thanks guys. I just used some tweezers and took out the valve core—I'll give it one more try once it isn't so early. I live in an apartment building and I don't want to completely piss off my neighbors. the pancake compressor and the one I got have the same specs... so now if I can't get it, I'll know I just suck at what I'm doing :oops:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

You don't suck, You just don't have a place in your life for a commercial-sized air compressor. I ran into the same problem a while back with, of all things, a lawn mower tire. It just takes a large volume of air to do the job

Now you see why the Stella has split rims.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

If worse comes to fruition just put tubes in. That will teach that non-cooperative tire :lol: .
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Tie down strap, eh? That's next. No luck with the valve core out. The second bead isn't even vaguely close to being seated, so all the air is just pouring out.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I just got rid of a boat trailer that had split rims. Watched the process of replacing tubes ... pretty interesting. So, if you are not a 'do it yourselfer' where do you go to change a tire? Will places like Discount Tire help??? :roll:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Tie down for the win! I squeezed the heck out of the tire and it finally relented. Thanks for the advice and encouragement folks. On the way home from Autozone I was thinking about how lucky it is that there's this awesome forum with people actively helping each other. :D

My new (minor) defeat is that I need to go back to Autozone and pick up a larger hex socket for the back tire. Didn't know I needed it. I'm getting the best workout I've gotten in a long time wrestling with tires and bicycling everywhere to get this stuff. I live in a very hilly area.

Thanks again!
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Two new tires and new NCY forks—all set.

I drove around a bit waiting for a wheel to fall off or explode, but it hasn't happened.

What I learned:
1) Front forks are insanely easy to install. Set aside an hour to do it and you'll probably get change back. That said, cost-to-performance seems tipped on the cost side. If I'd understood the way that front forks change the ride, I might have voted not to spend so many of my hard dimes and nickels.

2) Tires are not very difficult to take off by hand, but are a PITA to mount and seat. My rims look like a wookie chewed on them now, too. In the future I may try to do it myself again, but only if I get the HF tire changer. Also, a tie down strap makes the cost-to-performance ratio explode. Well worth the seven dollars.

3) Even though I swore in this one weekend more than I've sworn all month, there is an unmistakably fulfilling feeling to having done the work on your bike.

Thanks again for all the support and advice folks.
lefthandedrighty

Post by lefthandedrighty »

its a GREAT feeling to have new tires under you

way to tough it out and not throw the scoot in the river! :D
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

You can either purchase rim protectors:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... ctors.aspx

or make them yourself from old bleach bottle (gallon jug) handles.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

I have the Harbor Freight tire changer, for me it was good for breaking the bead and not much else. the No Mar Bar was great for removing tires, I put on the same tires as you and had to use tire irons on both sides of the tire which was a pain. Another handy tool for removing vale stem cores is to turn the valve stem cap over and use it, that is what the slot in the top of it is for.
MB #2349
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I have changed my back tire several times it is a workout. The rim protectors do work for the most part in my experience. I change my tires because my dealer chipped the crud out mine and put a small bend in my rim. So I do them.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dsmith65 wrote:I have the Harbor Freight tire changer, for me it was good for breaking the bead and not much else. the No Mar Bar was great for removing tires, I put on the same tires as you and had to use tire irons on both sides of the tire which was a pain. Another handy tool for removing vale stem cores is to turn the valve stem cap over and use it, that is what the slot in the top of it is for.
So the HF changer is not good for re-mounting tires? Which do you have? There's the cheapest one and the slightly not as cheap, which I think is bigger.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Glad for your adventure, BUT,This sounds horrendous. Changing tires is quite an ordeal. Are flats unusual???? And what's a girl to do? call a tow truck?? and where does that truck tow me? .... do regular tire companies have tires to replace??? Do I throw a can of fix a flat under the seat???

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

avonpirate wrote:Glad for your adventure, BUT,This sounds horrendous. Changing tires is quite an ordeal. Are flats unusual???? And what's a girl to do? call a tow truck?? and where does that truck tow me? .... do regular tire companies have tires to replace??? Do I throw a can of fix a flat under the seat???
Do you still have Roadside Assistance? Call them!

If not, you'll need a tow. "Regular" tire places won't have the replacement. Your dealer is the best bet, but some other scooter/motorcycle dealers may have the right size.

Fix-a-Flat is pretty nasty stuff and won't help with many punctures. Tubeless tires are actually pretty easy to plug and a good plug will last a long time. I've done this twice with car tires now. Mostly it takes a little time and elbow grease. Plug kits are available at auto parts stores for under $10 or so.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

ericalm wrote: So the HF changer is not good for re-mounting tires? Which do you have? There's the cheapest one and the slightly not as cheap, which I think is bigger.
The No Mar Bar is supposed to help mount but given the small rims it didn't work so well. I ended up buying their Yellow Thing, and using tire irons I cut up a milk jug for rim protecting.
MB #2349
anthony

Post by anthony »

avonpirate wrote:Glad for your adventure, BUT,This sounds horrendous. Changing tires is quite an ordeal. Are flats unusual???? And what's a girl to do? call a tow truck?? and where does that truck tow me? .... do regular tire companies have tires to replace??? Do I throw a can of fix a flat under the seat???
Your tires should be tubeless, so getting a flat isn't impossible, but unless you're riding around a lot of construction sites, you'll probably be fine.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/41223828" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Good times right here. Lubricated the bead with 50/50 beer and shampoo!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

isn't the term "vulcanized" . sounds a little trendy like vampires, but repairing a tubeless tire is vulcanization. And when I used that word at Big O Tires, ('91 Previa) they were amazed that I knew it. I have AAA, and fortunataly have decided to travel EVERYWHERE on the GB w/ AAA card and cell phone in hand. I am such a 'pollyanna' that I never considered all this awful stuff entering into my life. :oops:

TVB

Post by TVB »

Vulcanization is a process of treating rubber with sulfur to make it more durable.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Just to be clear, I had to remove my tires because I got new ones and the back one was worn. No flats! (knocking on wood).

Changing a tire isn't a rip-roarin' good time, but I feel slight more prepared now. That said, if you don't want to deal with it, then just bring it to the shop.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

ericalm wrote:
dsmith65 wrote:I have the Harbor Freight tire changer, for me it was good for breaking the bead and not much else. the No Mar Bar was great for removing tires, I put on the same tires as you and had to use tire irons on both sides of the tire which was a pain. Another handy tool for removing vale stem cores is to turn the valve stem cap over and use it, that is what the slot in the top of it is for.
So the HF changer is not good for re-mounting tires? Which do you have? There's the cheapest one and the slightly not as cheap, which I think is bigger.
I have the HF mini tire changer, and at this point, I have to agree that it's mostly useful for breaking the bead and removing the tire from the back rim. The main issue I ran into is that the front wheel simply doesn't fit on the rod. So you can't even use it on the front. You'd either need to remove the bearings and core, or modify the changer with a narrower rod. At this point, we're using a set of three tire irons and a lot of grunt work for tire changes. On the most recent change, I only used the changer to break the bead. Sadly, I can't recommend it.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

pdxrita wrote:I have the HF mini tire changer, and at this point, I have to agree that it's mostly useful for breaking the bead and removing the tire from the back rim. The main issue I ran into is that the front wheel simply doesn't fit on the rod. So you can't even use it on the front. You'd either need to remove the bearings and core, or modify the changer with a narrower rod. At this point, we're using a set of three tire irons and a lot of grunt work for tire changes. On the most recent change, I only used the changer to break the bead. Sadly, I can't recommend it.
Well, that's one less thing for me to spend money on.

Any recommendations about tire irons? I found the ones I had were too beefy for my tiny tires.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I went to a local motorcycle shop and got the Bikemaster three piece tire iron set. It seems to work fine. Having three that are appropriately sized (not too long) is key.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/BIK ... E-IRON-SET
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

pdxrita wrote:...Having three that are appropriately sized (not too long) is key.
I can tell you that is absolutely true from experience! :D