New Model Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

New Model Buddy?

Post by RoaringTodd »

looks a lot like the Vespa to me... :nerd:

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.pgo-scooter.com/news_info.ph ... be7bb2ec80
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Looking more closely it looks like a mixture of the Vespa and Yamaha Vino. Love the flat seat and disc brakes!

Did you see the multifunction LCD display? A RPM indicator... wow.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

don't like it for a buddy. too retro. the rear is what kills it. it droops and hangs
over the engine like all other vespa style scooters. the seat is really flat. buddy's rear end rises upward and its tail looks mc like. its sporty and sharp and modern. this one, not so much
Riding is riding
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
phatch

Post by phatch »

I actually really like this design and hope they can bring it here.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Hardd1 - you're right, they look very similar, down to the styling. I saw a shop in Florida selling those Gorilla scooters for $1,500...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

well, with electronic anti-theft, front/rear disc brakes, and adjustable shocks, I might consider it.

The front looks like a Buddy, a Vespa, and a Kymco Like had a genetic mash up. It might not be my favorite to look at, but if it's fun to drive, efficient, and stops/supports better than the Buddy model, it might be a winner.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I like the specs but not the styling.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

This first showed up on MB last summer, if I recall. The PDF on PGO's website is dated June 2011.

Looks like a 113cc. I'm trying to find the performance specs on the current 125 (hp/kw) to compare it with this 110, but no luck so far.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

looks like a cross between a vespa and a yammy C3 to me...
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I am not a fan. It looks like a Chinese knockoff of a real scooter.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

did I understand right???? a 4 stroke 50cc.... that confuses me.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Looks like a Yamaha C3 to me.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

avonpirate wrote:did I understand right???? a 4 stroke 50cc.... that confuses me.
It's actually a 113cc...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Wheelz wrote:looks like a cross between a vespa and a yammy C3 to me...
Agreed! :nerd:
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Bubu??? :?

The bike looks alttle better in that dark grey color.
phatch

Post by phatch »

RoaringTodd wrote:
Wheelz wrote:looks like a cross between a vespa and a yammy C3 to me...
Agreed! :nerd:
+1. Woulda gotten a C3 if it had more juice than 50 cc.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tocsik wrote:I like the specs but not the styling.
I like the styling (esp the seat) but not the specs. Diff'rent Strokes, I guess.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

avonpirate wrote:did I understand right???? a 4 stroke 50cc.... that confuses me.
There are such things, such as the Yamaha C3, and the Honda Metro and Ruckus. 50cc gets them under the wire for licensing in many states, and 4T keeps them quiet and emits fewer pollutants. Certainly not the quickest scoots out there, but they fill a niche.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Anyone else notice how similar the "Jbubu" logo looks to Vespa's?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

if this is ever a buddy genuine better work some magic on it because its meh and looks like any other scooter on the road

character lacking to say the least
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

however i may see some potential

still it is not as "cute" as an HK Buddy would be
Riding is riding
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i think it looks pretty frackin sweet! but . . . 113 cc? :-/

if there's a performance kit for it, i'm in.
Syd

Post by Syd »

black sunshine wrote:i think it looks pretty frackin sweet! but . . . 113 cc? :-/

Yeah, but the spec sheet says PGO is getting 10hp out of a 113cc 4T. that's pretty impressive, and bodes well for the performance of the upcoming RainbowUnicorn. :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This has been around for a year or so. I agree that it looks too much like a generic Asian attempt at Italian style. It reminds me of the Like.
Syd wrote:
black sunshine wrote:i think it looks pretty frackin sweet! but . . . 113 cc? :-/

Yeah, but the spec sheet says PGO is getting 10hp out of a 113cc 4T. that's pretty impressive, and bodes well for the performance of the upcoming RainbowUnicorn. :wink:
EXACTLY.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:

While you're waiting for the RainbowUnicorn, you can fly around on one of these. Hint: There are many among us who aren't entirely convinced of the truthiness of this video. Is it a FlyingRainbowUnicorn, or isn't it? :wink:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FGw7qQlQWF ... r_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote:

While you're waiting for the RainbowUnicorn, you can fly around on one of these. Hint: There are many among us who aren't entirely convinced of the truthiness of this video. Is it a FlyingRainbowUnicorn, or isn't it? :wink:
HQ'd very close to me. I may have to camp out in front of their office for the rest of time or until they let me ride this thing.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

skully93 wrote:well, with electronic anti-theft, front/rear disc brakes, and adjustable shocks, I might consider it.

The front looks like a Buddy, a Vespa, and a Kymco Like had a genetic mash up. It might not be my favorite to look at, but if it's fun to drive, efficient, and stops/supports better than the Buddy model, it might be a winner.
Funny I thought it looks like the offspring of a 3-way between a kymco like, yamaha vino and Yamaha c3..
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
jd

Post by jd »

I doubt that Genuine will bring this to the U.S.A. The market is too small and all it would do is cannibalize Buddy 125 sales. It means developing the marketing assets and parts inventory for a model that isn't likely to bring in much, if any, incremental revenue to Genuine, but would cost a lot to launch.

And while I'm loathe to take my Buddy 125 on the freeway, I have done it for very short jaunts in low traffic conditions to get from one interchange to the next. That would be illegal on a 113cc bike.

I must admit that I like the foot pegs for the passenger, though, regardless of the styling. But few U.S. scooters owners are really interested in carrying a passenger frequently, I believe.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

jd wrote: And while I'm loathe to take my Buddy 125 on the freeway, I have done it for very short jaunts in low traffic conditions to get from one interchange to the next. That would be illegal on a 113cc bike.

jd

only illegal if it doesn't have motorcycle plates. most states, >50cc = Motorcycle and thus highway capable. Minimum speed is 45, I'm pretty sure that this could do 45 without a problem.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
TVB

Post by TVB »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:only illegal if it doesn't have motorcycle plates. most states, >50cc = Motorcycle and thus highway capable. Minimum speed is 45, I'm pretty sure that this could do 45 without a problem.
No, most states require engines above a certain size for motorcycles to ride on freeways. In some states the minimum is 125cc (so Buddy 125s are legal... if not particularly well-suited to it), but more commonly it's 150cc or higher.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
SYMbionic Duo wrote:only illegal if it doesn't have motorcycle plates. most states, >50cc = Motorcycle and thus highway capable. Minimum speed is 45, I'm pretty sure that this could do 45 without a problem.
No, most states require engines above a certain size for motorcycles to ride on freeways. In some states the minimum is 125cc (so Buddy 125s are legal... if not particularly well-suited to it), but more commonly it's 150cc or higher.
It varies by state, of course, but most have either a displacement limit and/or a requirement that a minimum speed be maintained. (CA has both.) A 50cc wouldn't qualify either way.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I know this has been around for a while now but I like it a lot. Just not the displacement.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Bland. If it was priced LOW and I needed it, then I could see it in my garage. But for me it just doesn't excite....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I love it. Looks like my Kymco Like but with less body panels. That's what makes the Buddy so great, less stuff to take off. The Like is a puzzlebox when it comes simple things like getting to the air filter or removing the front leg screen. I feel if i do something wrong Cenobites are going to show up. Also, the main reason I didn't get a buddy is the lack of 2-Up comfort, I know it's not really built for it but that long (looking) seat and fold out passenger pegs are a big plus. Trip computer w/ MPG and that beautiful instrument cluster, i'm pretty much sold.
anthony

Post by anthony »

BeefSupreme wrote:I feel if i do something wrong Cenobites are going to show up.
:rofl:
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

I don't know what is with that scooter, but I don't like it. Maybe if they didn't try to make it look like a knock off Vespa... Kinda looks like a extremly cheap scooter from China. I do think they would sell if they priced it right. 113cc... what engine is that?