[NSR] If you don't hear from me again...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

[NSR] If you don't hear from me again...

Post by Lostmycage »

So tonight at dinner, I played another round of "guess what we're doing for our anniversary" with my wife. She first hinted at it this past week and I've been casually narrowing it down between then and now. I was mainly trying to figure out what to wear since the main hint that I was able to get out of her was that it's outdoors. I took a few other guesses that were met with negatives, but then I thought of a failed attempt at hang gliding lessons that we attempted in Spring (the company flaked out on us) I asked her if it was sky... hanging (mixed my words up there) and her expression told me everything.

My wife is so enamored with our five years married that she decided that I needed to be thrown off a perfectly good airplane.

I'm pretty sure that I won't forget this anniversary.

Hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow. You only live once, right?
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Blue skies, LMC!
Good luck man...
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Nice! Whatever the surprise, I'm sure you are in for a wonderful day/night. Congrats to you both!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Get a goPro, or borrow from someone. That's too awesome an experience to not capture and share with the rest of us.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hehe. I asked my baby sister, who has several thousand jumps, the same perfectly-good-airplane joke/question. She says, "you've never seen our club"s airplane".
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Rob

Post by Rob »

You'll survive .... don't know about your undies though.

My daughter is a skydiving instructor in her spare time. She's made over 2500 jumps. Her and her friends have several times tried to convince me to do a tandum jump. In one of my weak moments, they almost succeeded ... but in the end, my survival instincts won out.

Good luck and as someone mentioned ... this is a great GoPro moment. BTW, they are on sale as several places right now. :D

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

would not do it............
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

That sounds so great- can't wait to hear the report!

Can you jump out with your scooter? :twisted:
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

"Arch, look, reach, PULL" skydive till you puke! Big difference between "Perfectly good" and "still running and not on fire"......

Karl
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I got dibs on your scoot.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sounds like fun, LMC. Break a leg!

(Oh, wait, that's not right, is it? :lol: )
The majority is always sane - Nessus
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Totally jealous.

Skydiving is something I have wanted to do since I was, hmm, lemme think... probably about 10 or 12. Maybe 8. Not sure. My father (who jumped many times in his youth) was flabbergasted when I told him this one day in my early teens, and promised he'd take me.

We've never had the money or a chance and so it's something that I haven't actually done yet. I plan on finding a way to do it, someday.

Get us a video!!
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Have fun! :clap: Not sure I'd try hang gliding, but sky diving's always been on the short list.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congrats on 5 years! Hope you enjoy the jump. If my wife ever has me thrown off a plane it will be because she wants to get rid of me. Intense lifelong acrophobia prevents me from even ascending the third or fourth step on a ladder, so I'd prolly just die of fright. :oops:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Did it once and hope to again sometime. One to remember. Congrats on 5, hope for 55. :clap:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

No Splat today. No jump either. Evidently, we brought all the rain from Richmond up north with us and they cancelled all jumps for today. Soonest they could reschedule is October. I can tell you this: you never reconsider something until you see a 4 page release form where "death" is in every clause and you have to initial it.

We woke up, looked outside (pissing rain) then checked the weather radar and saw the storm front moving directly towards the skydiving airfield. So we called and asked (specifically mentioning the storm) and they said that they're still on. After the two hour drive, it started sprinkling as we were standing at the registration window (we had today reserved as of 3 months ago, according to my wife) and that's when they shut it down and told everyone that they could reschedule or hang out and see what happens. After driving through the weather that was just getting there, we knew what was coming so we bagged it and went shopping instead.

All in all still a good day for reasons I won't post and we had an adventure as well. I told my wife that we at least got a story to tell about it and she guffawed at it being so underwhelming to which I replied, "I didn't say it was a good story." We had a good laugh at that.

Now I have time to over think it and change my mind (that release form sure doesn't help, lol). Maybe we'll work on our wills. :?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Lostmycage wrote:All in all still a good day for reasons I won't post and we had an adventure as well. I told my wife that we at least got a story to tell about it and she guffawed at it being so underwhelming to which I replied, "I didn't say it was a good story." We had a good laugh at that.
That's a shame you got rained out. My wife and I had an almost similar situation last week. It was our SECOND attempt at a full day of roller coasters. Again, a 2.5 hr drive to Williamsburg. The first trip was June 1, when that monster storm, similar to the derecho, blasted through the region, with deathly looking clouds. We got about 3 rides in and got washed out, even hoping to camp just over the ferry, but never got a break and drove all the way home. Well here we are again and we got 1 ride in, not even a roller coaster! It was the damn pirate ship that swings back and forth a few times. By the time we got to the front of the line at Verbolten, they closed the park!

Anyway, we spent nearly 6 hours in the car together and had an enjoyable lunch and dinner. Did you go to Warrenton for the jump??
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lostmycage wrote:All in all still a good day for reasons I won't post and we had an adventure as well. I told my wife that we at least got a story to tell about it and she guffawed at it being so underwhelming to which I replied, "I didn't say it was a good story." We had a good laugh at that.

Now I have time to over think it and change my mind (that release form sure doesn't help, lol). Maybe we'll work on our wills. :?
Hehe well, Happy 5th to you and the lady! It sounds like you had a fun day anyway... sometimes misadventures are the best.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Delayed, but not thwarted.

Wait, what day is it?

CRAP, ANNIVERSARY.

Wait, what year is it?

GUH!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…