Well, barring any (more) dissasters... the new bike is....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

Well, barring any (more) dissasters... the new bike is....

Post by neotrotsky »

Going to be this exact one (if it can hang around until the 7th):

An orange Buddy 125!

OK, so I'm not so keen on orange, but after shopping around for the past few months in preparation, there were only a handful of bikes that fit the criteria I was looking for. Originally I had set a budget of only $2500 (since I still have to replace some critical audio gear for work that I lost during the off season), but I wanted a dead-reliable machine that could achieve 60mph with a good dealer network and with a design I knew wouldn't leave me stranded like the Rattler constantly did.

The Stella was my first choice, but the newest 4-strokers were way out of my budget, and the selection of 2-stroke bikes in Arizona have been beaten to death. They look good on paper, but when you see them in person, you can tell they had NOT been loved.

Piaggio? Great bikes... horrible dealer network. They may have places that sell them, but getting parts and service for them is a nightmare. That and the "Vespa Tax" isn't something that I find much value in anymore. Sure, they are good bikes, but that doesn't offest the negatives that the Modern iteration of Vespa has developed.

SYM did tempt me with the Symba: A bike I could actually afford new if I tweaked the budget, a great look and a solid design that is proven. But, the dealership network and lower top speed kind of killed it. The local dealer seemed like a nice enough fellow, but he didn't have any bikes on the floor for me to check out and SYM hasn't had the best support in the US. If by some small miracle they do get some in and I get some time in the saddle, that is probably the only bike that will change my mind at the moment. But, it isn't looking likely. I do very much like the design.

The Buddy 125 is on end-of-season clearance (although we have year round riding weather here) for just under $2800 OTD. For Phoenix, that is considered a good deal. They are fee crazy around here! It's a 2012, not a leftover 2009 and it has a full 2-year warranty. It is as proven as it gets (as I preach to the choir around here) and should of been the bike I was to get as a daily driver as opposed to thinking with my heart and getting the P200e last season. Am I dead set on trying out the new "Plasti-Coat" craze sweeping the bike world on the orange panels. I figure a nice gloss grey may look great with some chrome bits. But, I won't know for sure until the 7th, which is the target day for the cash to end up in my grubby hands and in theirs.

I would of been able to secure it sooner, but the slum of a house we're renting flooded during the storm last night, and our landlord (who is actually sub-letting the place) really didn't do much to attend to the situation. So, finances had to be juggled and a part day off had to be taken. BUT... the plan is still on!

So I guess the Kool-Aide took a while to sink in from around here... but sink in it did.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

I was going to save my 3,000th post for a new thread, but let me be the first to congratulate you - assuming you end up getting it. And even if it was the bike you should have gotten two years ago :D )

Good choice neo, and good luck for the 7th!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

You can always come down to Tucson and our awesome Genuine dealer if it doesn't work out. I'm sure Scoot Over would be happy to hook you up.

I saw them sell a couple Symba's but I cant recall when the last time I saw one on the floor was. I think they may have finally sold their last Sym Wolf Classic and now just have the Enfields for motorcycles.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thank god youre going for one with a warranty. With all the bad luck you've had with scoots, fingers crossed this one will last and not nose dive faster than a speeding bullet and could be registered without the mafia like fees.
htmldood

Post by htmldood »

Is that the dealer in avondale?? I almost bought a kymco from them, about a month ago during there summer sale, until I walked in and they attempted to add $700 in random fees on top of their so called "OTD Pricing." Hopefully everything works out for you.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Will you be using Genuine's finance option? I know it may run abit more in the long run, but low monthly payments as opposed to a big, one time out of pocket payment, may be easier on the wallet.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I still think a Buddy 125 is by far the best bang for the buck you can get in a new scooter. Nice score!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Fingers crossed for the 7th!!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Yeah! Good luck Neo!
The effects of the kool-aid are subtle, you may feel a bit dizzy at first, but all you gotta do is ride. Then it smacks you over the head, and you can't quit smilling....
as a very happy Rat owner, your problems with it really bummed me out. I'm glad you've found the one and am keeping my fingers crossed for the 7th as well.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Keys

Post by Keys »

JohnKiniston wrote:You can always come down to Tucson and our awesome Genuine dealer if it doesn't work out. I'm sure Scoot Over would be happy to hook you up.

I saw them sell a couple Symba's but I cant recall when the last time I saw one on the floor was. I think they may have finally sold their last Sym Wolf Classic and now just have the Enfields for motorcycles.
...what John said. Shelby and Mike are the best!
"Life without music would Bb"
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Congrats!

My Italia would not have been my first choice in colors either, but it grows on you.
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Congrats! My fingers are crossed for the the 7th! :D
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Painting it would devalue it. While I don't like the orange either I ride the same color bike. It is bright and one of the safer colors IMO. It could be pink, wouldn't that be terrible. I bought a flat black helmet and thought I was dumb later so I put an orange Mohawk on top. I've ridden all over the metro kc area and every time I go somewhere I get "hey I saw you at so and so the other day". Or "did I see you at [insert someplace 25 minutes away]?".

The only thing I would add is a black rack, bungie straps, running lights, and maybe some reflective tape.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The folks in Avondale have been very nice and willing to answer any question I have. They actually discouraged my interest in an Agility stating that they really were not worth the price cut. And, the only reason I'd be getting an Agility is so I could have more funds to finance a Stella build. If I do need to hunt for a new Buddy elsewhere, I may look into Tucson, but then the trick is finding the time between working two performance venues, school and my wife's full time job. But, right now this is looking like a solid thing.

As for financing, I'm electing to pay cash on this one. With bikes, I find it easier to own outright just in case the unexpected happens and you're left with a heavily damaged/malfunctioning bike. Nothing worse than some idiot hitting you and you're stuck making payments on a totaled bike because the idiot didn't have insurance or it's tied up in court.... or if you tried to do an engine mod and *really* screwed it up. Even the Rattler I had proved that you can do everything to factory spec, but still be out a bike due to bonehead and deceitful dealers or other factors.

Both shops have a great rep, and I'm not worried about that. I just wish there was ONE Genuine dealer anywhere in the Phoenix downtown area! With the growing urban population they would make a killing down here. I bet you could sell a TON of Buddy's down on Roosevelt and get all the hipsters up on the scooter craze with the right placement. But, I digress...

I will keep everyone posted this coming week

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

neotrotsky wrote: I just wish there was ONE Genuine dealer anywhere in the Phoenix downtown area! With the growing urban population they would make a killing down here. I bet you could sell a TON of Buddy's down on Roosevelt and get all the hipsters up on the scooter craze with the right placement. But, I digress...
Maybe it's time for a life and career change, Neotrotsky?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Congrats! I always feel more visible on my orange Buddy vs my black one. I've had mine up to 75 indicated, which is probably 63 to 65, but I haven't checked it with GPS yet, so I can't say for sure. That's on flat ground, not down hill. Uphill...not so much. ;)

I don't do engine mods of any type, as I've heard too many cases where that causes issues.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

michelle_7728 wrote: I've had mine up to 75 indicated, which is probably 63 to 65,
How much weight was on the scooter? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 125... and I weight 215 on a good day... Would love to get 65mph...

RT-
TroutBum

Re: Well, barring any (more) dissasters... the new bike is..

Post by TroutBum »

neotrotsky wrote:Going to be this exact one (if it can hang around until the 7th):

An orange Buddy 125!
When I saw the picture of the scooter this popped up in my head. I hope you get it!
Attachments
GPCB.jpg
GPCB.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
phatch

Post by phatch »

Congratulations - you're going to love it. When's the next locals ride? I wanna roll with some Buddy's.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

When I get my bike, I don't know how many local rides I will be able to attend between full time work, full time school and yet ANOTHER move to a different apartment. Will try my best but I may be lucky to hit one or two rides out to the Scottsdale Pavilions car show on non-show nights before January, but after that I won't have a life again until the summer.

michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

RoaringTodd wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote: I've had mine up to 75 indicated, which is probably 63 to 65,
How much weight was on the scooter? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 125... and I weight 215 on a good day... Would love to get 65mph...

RT-
Around 170, with my laptop and top case. I have synthetic oil and a windshield also. I will say that I've noticed about a 3-5 mph increase in speed the last month or so as I've been closing in on 6,000 miles.

My black Buddy, with just over 1,000 miles on it (synthetic oil and windshield also) has been topping out at 70-72 indicated.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

This time, you have chosen wisely. :P
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I like the orange with black. The old sunset with tan/brown was yuck. Hoping for the best. Congrats and here's to many miles on the new scoot.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

bigbropgo wrote:I like the orange with black.
Agree. It is a good looking scooter. And, of course, any scooter that runs well starts to look real good after a while regardless of the color :wink: .
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

k1dude wrote:This time, you have chosen wisely. :P
I feel I chose quite wisely with the P200e. I just chose it at the wrong time. I will always kick myself for being unable to afford to keep that scooter!! I also bought that when I was still working a fill-in job during the "great layoff" period. If I knew I'd have the job I have now, I would of kept it.

But, the numbers don't lie on the Buddy. They are bulletproof and the warranty can't be beat. Me and my wife need reliable. I'll save the Stella project for the summer build up for AmeriVespa '13. This will be for the daily grind. Now, to figure out which mic and cable bags can fit where on a Buddy with racks...

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I like that color orange. I'm usually not a fan of oranges. But that orange is so happy and... I don't know, tropical? Fruity? Not sure. It's just very likeable, instead of being in-your-face orange. :wink:
theflash784

the new bike is...

Post by theflash784 »

I bought my orange Buddy a year ago. I had a choice between it and a black one. I thought the orange would be more visable so I went with that. My crafty friend helped me put reflective pinstripes on it. I have a rear rack, windshield and the crowl protectors. I wish I had more time to ride it- hopefully with the granddaughter going to school I will. The only trouble I have is with the mirrors. They come lose and you need Loctite to keep them steady. I would get different mirrors. Other than that- it has been a great scoot. I hope yours is as well.
neotrotsky

Re: the new bike is...

Post by neotrotsky »

theflash784 wrote:I bought my orange Buddy a year ago. I had a choice between it and a black one. I thought the orange would be more visable so I went with that. My crafty friend helped me put reflective pinstripes on it. I have a rear rack, windshield and the crowl protectors. I wish I had more time to ride it- hopefully with the granddaughter going to school I will. The only trouble I have is with the mirrors. They come lose and you need Loctite to keep them steady. I would get different mirrors. Other than that- it has been a great scoot. I hope yours is as well.
I'm thinking that the full black crashbar/rack treatment and some black rally stripes will do it well and give it a more urban look. I figure the black/orange thing will work well enough. If I *really* tire of the look, I can always plasti-dip spray the panels and see how I like that. As for color for "safety", I figure cars don't see bikes for shit in Phoenix anyways, so defensive driving and smart lane placement are how I've survived riding here as long as I have.

That and the racks are going to be a must since this will be my daily commuter when I don't need to haul gear. My only worry is hauling some of the mics I use for my main venue. They can grow to be quite numerous and I don't dare leave them at the theater (some of them cost upwards of $2,500 EACH!). So, I'm trying to devise heavy paniers/top cases that can detach and come with. The average scooter fare doesn't quite work. It will probably be a work in progress since I haven't had to haul this much gear until this season

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

theflash784 wrote: The only trouble I have is with the mirrors. They come lose and you need Loctite to keep them steady. I would get different mirrors. Other than that- it has been a great scoot. I hope yours is as well.
I don't think that different mirrors would resolve this issue since they still have to go on the same mount points. Since you have a windshield, I'm guessing that it mounts between the stock mirror holes and the mirrors? That throws off the entire assembly and causes issues. What I've found is that it's key to try to screw the mirror post in as far as possible before you use the mirror bolt to finish tightening it. The more you rely on the bolt, the less likely it is to stay tight. Also, I just crank down on that bolt as hard as I can and that seems to help. Don't crank down on the posts too hard, though, as we've had people snap them off by doing that.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

pdxrita wrote:
theflash784 wrote: The only trouble I have is with the mirrors. They come lose and you need Loctite to keep them steady.
What I've found is that it's key to try to screw the mirror post in as far as possible before you use the mirror bolt to finish tightening it.
Nothing wrong with using Loctite (blue) as well. The stuff works and causes no problems. (this loose mirror thing is hardly unique to the OEM mirror or to Buddys in particular)
theflash784

the new bike is...

Post by theflash784 »

pdxrita- You are right about the mirror post. I will try to do as you suggested. I was trying to tighten it but didn't have any luck. My dealer put on Loctite on the right mirror last fall and it has held up very well. I was going to have the same done to left one. Thanks all for the suggestions.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

neotrotsky wrote:That and the racks are going to be a must since this will be my daily commuter when I don't need to haul gear. My only worry is hauling some of the mics I use for my main venue. They can grow to be quite numerous and I don't dare leave them at the theater (some of them cost upwards of $2,500 EACH!). So, I'm trying to devise heavy paniers/top cases that can detach and come with. The average scooter fare doesn't quite work. It will probably be a work in progress since I haven't had to haul this much gear until this season
Depending on the size of the microphones in question, hauling stuff on the Buddy shouldn't be an issue. :wink:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

michelle_7728 wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:That and the racks are going to be a must since this will be my daily commuter when I don't need to haul gear. My only worry is hauling some of the mics I use for my main venue. They can grow to be quite numerous and I don't dare leave them at the theater (some of them cost upwards of $2,500 EACH!). So, I'm trying to devise heavy paniers/top cases that can detach and come with. The average scooter fare doesn't quite work. It will probably be a work in progress since I haven't had to haul this much gear until this season
Depending on the size of the microphones in question, hauling stuff on the Buddy shouldn't be an issue. :wink:
I remember that thread!

I'm not terribly worried about if, it's just the logistics of "how". Nice to see the Orange Buddy's are the workhorses of the Genuine stable ;) People insist their red ones are the fastest, but you just proved the Orange ones are the strongest!