Train Horn: How can I do this??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PIStaker

Train Horn: How can I do this??

Post by PIStaker »

Ok, is this possible on the Buddy?
Has anyone been successful attempting this?

http://www.break.com/index/train-horns- ... ss-2360963
phatch

Post by phatch »

Probably. That's ridiculous!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I should think the recoil would set you back at least 2 blocks everytime you fire it off..
"Life without music would Bb"
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Queue music:
"....Ah ....AH"

Saweet, thanks!
Let me see how doable, or cost prohibitive this might be, and I will report back.
Thanks!
Mike
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

Please post your progress!

Also I know there is a group of people that do this to their cars and post videos online, by far the craziest one I've seen is the ferry/freighter ship horn, he had to put it in the trunk of the car it was so big. It would be awesome on a buddy!
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

Same guy I was referring to above, he out did himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... MasocIBqaE
amy

Post by amy »

Is it street legal?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

amy wrote:Is it street legal?
Some, probably not. I imagine they're beyond state noise limits. (In CA, it's 110 Db, which is odd because some stock horns are supposedly louder…?) Some of the "real" train horns recommend wearing ear protection and using 100 ft. away from others.

I'm not even sure the video is accurate, but that's besides the point.

For a "real" train horn, you'll need room to mount the compressor and horns and possibly a second power supply. (Most of the Wolos linked above all use external high-pressure 3 gallon tanks.) Some of the smaller ones or those with integrated tanks are actually less loud than a Stebel (139Db.). The full electronic ones (no compressor) are much quieter. What you do get is the duo/triple tone, which is very attention-grabbing.

You may also want to hijack a train. The compressors on the Wolo site run $350-$490! That's in addition to the horns! Another site (which included the compressors) had prices in the $500-$700 range. WOO WOO!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

My standard contribution to the train horn threads: In my opinion, they are not safe for any vehicle except a train. Train horns are train horns and we are conditioned to look for a train when we hear them. I admit that I tend to be jumpy at loud noises but the times I've heard trucks with train horns right next to me I've almost gone out of my lane. I'm all for loud horns that get people's attention but I think the whole train horn thing is irresponsible to a point. It's not unlike putting a police or fire yelp in your car.

It's pretty wild to watch that video and hear that sound come from a scooter; I'm just not into it for practical street use!
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

I've seen some pretty bulky set ups online, and I'm just not looking for a project that involved, nor the cost.
That said, if it were cheaper and easier, I would Defo be all over it.

And I agree, this would strictly be for comedic purposes. Startling an already distracted driver doesn't seem prudent.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

the nautilus has been doing just fine for me... in fact, better than fine. It's pretty badass!
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Scooters need a big horn.
Which would you get out of the way for?
a sound like someone squeezing a rat or a train horn?
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

VinylDoctor wrote:Scooters need a big horn.
Which would you get out of the way for?
a sound like someone squeezing a rat or a train horn?
they do, and the nautilus is more than capable of a horn. even the stock Buddy horn has more balls then most scooter horns. But a train horn is designed to be heard over a mile away and alert an entire town about what's approaching. Highly inappropriate for a scooter. Infact, it could probably do more harm than good if you blast that next to someone drifting into your lane. talk about pucker factor.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

At one point, I was idly hoping for a technological breakthrough to create a brown sound horn. Upon reflection, probably a horrible idea. First, I couldn't protect myself from it. Second, it can't be aimed or directed and will affect all within hearing range, likely causing chaos and possibly a bunch of accidents. Third, I'm immature enough as is.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:First, I couldn't protect myself from it.
You could have stopped after that!