Purchasing Helmet Online

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Po

Purchasing Helmet Online

Post by Po »

I can't seem to find anyplace local that has a good selection of helmets, so I'm thinking about shopping online. I know how it fits is one of the most important factors in choosing a helmet, so does anyone know any good methods to do this online?
we thought we could outrun them but they had robot dogs
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Lot's of research. I found a Hawk helmet that I liked, read many reviews about the fit and was able to determine I needed a medium not the small that was recommended by a size chart. It fit true and comfortable.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

if you go with online ordering I would make sure to go through a good retailer that has a good exchange policy.

I'm personally a fan of Revzilla for that.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

MotorcycleSuperstore.com is where I got my helmet. I'd shop there again.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

What part of Tennessee are you in? If you are anywhere near a motorcycle dealership they usually have a decent selection.
MB #2349
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

You can always try Amazon... they seem to have a large selection. I haven't purchased any helmets from there, but I do know it is easy to return items.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
If there is anywhere local at all to try helmets on, go there and try a few. This will at least give you a vague idea of small/medium/large/XL/etc. Brands and designs vary widely (much like shoes or pants) so it won't be spot on, but should get you close.

Just make damn sure if you order online it's from somewhere that will exchange it if it doesn't fit. And pay attention to how much those exchanges cost. Some places will charge you an outrageous "re-stocking" fee for exchanges.
~~
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

+1 about trying them on local. At least for a given brand you might have a better idea of the fit, even if the dealer doesn't have the exact color you want.

Also, do you have any friends that ride? Maybe they have a helmet you could try on?
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Tristik wrote:~~
If there is anywhere local at all to try helmets on, go there and try a few. This will at least give you a vague idea of small/medium/large/XL/etc. Brands and designs vary widely (much like shoes or pants) so it won't be spot on, but should get you close.

Just make damn sure if you order online it's from somewhere that will exchange it if it doesn't fit. And pay attention to how much those exchanges cost. Some places will charge you an outrageous "re-stocking" fee for exchanges.
~~
that's why I like motorcycle superstore:
Return new/unused items to Motorcycle Superstore within 60 days of receipt and receive a refund for the item price paid. Shipping fees or any cost associated with international shipping, duties, taxes or brokerage fees are non-refundable.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Make sure it's a reputable dealer/retailer with a generous return policy.

Even in large cities, it's hard to find places with a wide range of models to try on. On of the big reasons I go to the International Motorcycle Show (which tours the country) each year is to try on helmets.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Po

Post by Po »

All, thank you for the great advice. I'll keep looking for local dealers but will also check out the online shops you recommended.
we thought we could outrun them but they had robot dogs
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I used Leather UP.com for both of my scooter helmets. I am not finicky as helmets in my life are numerous: skiing, windsurfing, skating, biking and now scootering. :lol: I like their prices and because I was adding to my collection of 20+ nutcases, price was an issue as this isn't my only dance.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I purchased my last helmet from Revzilla.com. I also bought a jacket from them.

Actually, I bought two of the same helmets and two of the same jackets <.< I was off by one size on both of them, so had to exchange/return (free, though you have to ship it back to them yourself).

Great customer service, pretty good selection and prices. Also they give a $10 credit towards your next purchase every $100 you spend.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Read the reviews at webbikeworld.com

Their system is fairly objective and complete when it comes to fit and form of helmets.
larrylarry75

Post by larrylarry75 »

I've had great service from Revzilla too so I'd recommend them like several others have said. I've made it a practice to call my orders into them as they usually have someone handy who uses the very product I'm buying and I can ask questions about it. Their return/exchange policy is one of the best, totally no hassle and prompt refunds if necessary.

One thing I would like to mention about Motorcycle Superstore is their way of showing items in stock. If they say something is "available" what it really means is they don't actually have it but will get it from their supplier. If it says "in stock" it probably is but be sure to verify it's in stock in your size and color. I'm hesitant to flame these folks as I've bought lots of stuff from them and will continue to do so but you really need to hammer them down when it comes to whether or not they have an item; I've literally had them lie to me more than once so be attentive.

The best thing you can do is call the company on the phone and record the name of the person you spoke to. A little CYA speak can save you some grief if you need to return something. It may sound paranoid but when you're ready to place your order you should say to them "OK, my understanding is you have this item in stock and will ship it to me on such and such a day and if I need to return it or exchange it this is what you will charge me?" Doing so will bring them up to speed on what they're committing to and if you're both in agreement it should be safe to order.

When it comes to helmet fit you really need to get a firm statement that the one they're selling you is a true size. What that means is if they say their medium is a 57-58 cm and that's what your head measures it should fit. If it doesn't they should pay for the shipping both ways as it's not your fault. Along that line try to determine what your head shape is and if you don't know do like someone posted earlier and read what webBikeWorld has to say.

Other things can cause you issues as well; I recently had to return a helmet to a firm in Korea because it was extremely noisy, not something they would own up to. After paying shipping both ways I was out a hundred bucks which stung like hell but not nearly as much as having it lay around unused. This one really caught me off guard but there was nothing I could do about it, noise is a subjective issue. Bottom line is they lost my business forever and I buy a lot of stuff.

Lastly you should pay for your order with a credit card or at least PayPal as you will have recourse in case of issues. Never ever send a check or money order for that very reason.

Other than the Korean jerks I've have good luck buying helmets on line. I've had to return a couple because of fit but that's better than eating them or settling for something you don't like because it's a locally available product.

LL75 8)
Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

powersport superstore. they also have an Amazon store. you usually have to use the drop down menus for search results. otherwise a blank page might appear

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/

Helmet Express

http://www.helmetexpress.com/
Riding is riding