Just Hit 1,600 Miles !

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

squidsie

Just Hit 1,600 Miles !

Post by squidsie »

I'm excited to say that I have hit the 1,600 mile mark. I bought my scooter about a month ago with 1,240 miles on it. The original owner had done a self-service oil change at the 1,100 mark in May (12 months after he bought it). Prior to that the dealer did one at around 500 miles.

From my understanding, I am officially at the broken in stage. What I need to know is what to do now!? I've gone 500 miles since it's last oil change. I am not a mechanical person and I want to keep the scooter in top notch! The closest Genuine dealer to me is about 35 miles from where I live. How much can I expect to pay for maintenance services? I looked at the service manual and its a little confusing to me on when to check/change fluids, oils, etc. Everything seems to be so scattered.

I get nervous that if I let too much time go by it may effect the life of the Buddy. I am really dedicated to keeping it up as this has become my main source of transportation. One thing I have noticed is that the Buddy vibrates quite a lot. Some times when I am at a stop light and on the brakes, it will vibrate. If i let go of the brakes and sit at the stop light, it vibrates. When I ride, it vibrates and I can feel it in the floorboard. Is this normal? This is my first scooter and I have nothing to compare it to! Probably a reason why I over-think things some times ;/
I just want to get past the 30,000 mark like so many of you have! And I know by doing that it means to keep it in it's best condition possible!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Keeping up with the changing of oil, oil filter, and gear oil should help enormously in that area. Every so often you are going to have to take it in to a dealer to keep up with rollers, belt, and general maintance that only they can provide as far as the valves are concerned. I'm a bit like you were the nearest Genuine dealer is 50 + miles away. It really sucks!!! The good news is that the fluid changing is really easy. Hopefully someone else can articulate much better than I can as I'm a guy of few words....
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Thanks, Drum Pro. I would live to learn how to change all the fluids myself and then take it in for the major stuff. I know there are a lot of tutorials on here that are beneficial. I should study up!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Changing your own fluids is really quite simple. Look in the tech area for the oil change tutorial. It covers both engine and transmission oil changes. You'll find that some of the pics and descriptions won't quite match your scooter. The 150 oil filter is placed slightly different from the 125, for instance. As for the suggestion that you must take it to the dealer for belt, rollers and valve adjustments, that's not really true either. All of these can be done at home. I'm not a mechanic, by any means, but using the resources on this forum and in other places around the web, I've managed to do most of this myself. The only thing I have yet to do is check my valves and change my belt. That's only because I totaled my Italia right when I was getting ready to make my first attempt.

As for your specific questions, if I'm reading you correctly. You won't need to change your oil again for about another 500 miles. In general, change your oil every 1,000 miles if you use dino oil, or every 2,000 if you use synthetic. Do the gear oil every other oil change. For the vibration, it really depends on what's vibrating.Try to narrow it down. For instance, I know that I get vibration sounds from both my topcase and from my windshield. Other folks have reported vibration coming from their center stand. However, if it's truly a scooter-shaking vibration and not just rattling noise issue, you should probable take it to the dealer.
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

The vibration is normal for my 2013 Buddy 50 when I stop. I assume it is because the scooter isn't in gear so the power isn't getting channeled thought the rest of the drive line. When I give it small revs it stops until it idles again. Ive also noticed that while stopped and holding the brakes it often vibrates more then when the brake isn't engaged. I assume this is all normal. I've also noticed a rattle from my top case (shad 29). I thought about putting some sort of small pad under the case to cushion the sucker.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Vibration while idling comes from resonance. There are certain frequencies at which various objects naturally vibrate (like a string on a guitar is tuned to a particular note). When the engine is running at roughly that frequency, it resonates, and the scooter starts to vibrate with it. Rev the engine to a different frequency, and it's no longer feeding that resonance, so the vibration goes away.

As for vibration while cruising... obviously there's always going to be some vibration; you're sitting on an internal combustion engine. But a cruising speeds, the vibrations from the engine should be too high frequency to (for example) feel with your feet in the floorboard. That sounds like possibly something else.
squidsie

Post by squidsie »

Thanks for everyone's replies! I have been paying extra close attention to all the little vibrations. I have noticed the floorboard vibration has pretty much not happened since I first post this. And if it does, it's so slight that it's not very noticeable at all. I'm guessing that might just be the plastic against the plastic (battery and floor board cover). Sounds like all the other vibrations are quite normal.

I must say, this Buddy was the best purchase I ever made :)