Tuesday is the day... but a dilema

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

Tuesday is the day... but a dilema

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, the funds are in place and on Tuesday I get my new bike. I was 90% set on an orange clearance '12 Buddy, but as I mentioned before I discovered a new Kymco dealer down the street from my work. They had several Agility 125's and I had a chance to try them on for size and even got to take one for a spin. The other Genuine dealer talked them down saying they weren't really as good as people were saying, but from initial impressions i have a hard time seeing that!

The biggest dilema has always been the fit of the Buddy. It has always felt 10% too small for me, while the agility just flat out fit well. The buddy does have the slightly better suspension and more accessory options, buy the Agility doesn't look like some china cline bike and was MORE solid than the Like 200i in my opinion.

That and the Agility is about 900 less than the Buddy, and in the color I want.

Both good bikes, but both different in their strengths. Kind of at an impass...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

If you sat on both, rode the Agility, and liked it... get the Agility. I had one. Solid li'l bike, but very Spartan. If that's not a problem, you'll be fine.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I would say if it's solid, in your color of choice and ergonomically suited...get the Agility! And save some cash to boot!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Flip a coin.. Heads a Buddy, tails a Kymco... When I first sat on my 170i I thought it was a little small and I'm only 5'11" 175#s. After riding it for a year it doesn't seem like that at all now.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jprestonian wrote:If you sat on both, rode the Agility, and liked it... get the Agility. I had one. Solid li'l bike, but very Spartan. If that's not a problem, you'll be fine.
jprestonian, neo estimates as much as 20,000 on the odo in the first year. Would you still recommend the Agility? (This is an honest question; I'm not baiting.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:
jprestonian wrote:If you sat on both, rode the Agility, and liked it... get the Agility. I had one. Solid li'l bike, but very Spartan. If that's not a problem, you'll be fine.
jprestonian, neo estimates as much as 20,000 on the odo in the first year. Would you still recommend the Agility? (This is an honest question; I'm not baiting.)
This is an honest statement. In the year since we've bought our Vitara, we've put 40k miles on it. Granted alot of that was going from here to LA and back for nearly 2 months 2x a week. But, The reason I bought the Vespa GTS is that I use my bike ALOT, especially in the way Phoenix is laid out. I know the Buddy will take 15-20k miles/year (roughly 300 to 400 a week) and will have the parts to repair it when I need it. That is the huge draw, over the slightly-ill fit. Kymco has a GREAT rep, and I've seen the People 150 do amazing things. But, it does pose an interesting question.

To answer Syd's question in another way: I had a chance to buy a 2009 Piaggio Fly 150 for about equal to the Kymco with only 900 miles. I elected against it although it had nothing wrong with it, simply because I know what nightmare it is dealing with Piaggio when things go wrong. It's why I didn't go for the Symba, while it is also a proven design.

So, unless the *perfect* Stella for around $2500 shows up (which has been thin as of late and to be fair I should really START on the frame I have sitting here!), it's these two.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Personally, when a sales person puts down another product, I tend to allign myself mentally towards the other product...at least until I have personal knowledge of that other product so I can form my own opinion...so it's counter productive for them, in other words. I don't appreciate sales people slamming other products to make a sale.

Given the mileage you may be putting on, I think research into the durability of the Kymco would be a good idea. I have no idea about the bike, and how long they might last, so it's something I'd definitely want to look in to if I were a high mileage rider.

The other thing I'd look into is how fast they go vs how fast Buddy's go. I've heard Buddy's are spunkier than other scooters of thier size, but again, I have no personal knowledge of other scooters the Buddy's size.

The physical size I also can't speak to, as they fit me perfectly, and I've never sat on a Kymco. I have read where some say the Buddy seems too small for them when they sit on it, whereas many have posted that that seems a non-issue as time goes by.

I do have to admit that as a first time buyer, Genuine's 2-year warranty and road side assistance was a nice bonus....
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've test ridden the Agility and loved it. Not as fast as a Buddy (which I bought), but just as fun. And since I'm currently out of scooters, the Agility would be one of my first choices. You know how I ride, Jared, so take it from there. Were it me, on the nearly non-existant income I have, I'd get the Agility.
"Life without music would Bb"
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

both have a 2yr warranty.....900 clams is a lot of $$$...Agility is my vote
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

hardd1 wrote:both have a 2yr warranty.....900 clams is a lot of $$$...Agility is my vote
Yeup that is I think the essence of it. R
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Syd wrote:jprestonian, neo estimates as much as 20,000 on the odo in the first year. Would you still recommend the Agility? (This is an honest question; I'm not baiting.)
No; I know. It's a mainland bike, and it's a fair question.

I had one issue early on with my Agility 125, and the only other thang I can think of that I would have done differently with it would be to have applied blue thread-lock compound to all the bolts that secure the exhaust (everywhere but the header bolts, anyway).

Other than that, properly maintained, and keeping on hand a spare set of brake pads, shoes and an extra drive belt, I think one would be safe choosing the Agility. The Buddy's better built, and has more features, but if the ergonomics aren't right, they aren't right. I found the Buddy's curved floorboard to be the most concerning feature for me, but I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker... I probably would have bought a Buddy vs. the PCX, if there were a dealer in Nashville. But now that I have the PCX, I gotta say... it's a helluva ride.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

$900 buys a lot of suspension and Cvt upgrades. I agree the buddy is built better, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Loved my bought-used Agility, beat on it, put new tires, heated grips, lighter rollers and a sweet Puig windshield on it (that I should have kept), and sold it for a little more than I paid for it. Great, solid, dependable scoot. Not the sexiest scoot ever, but at least it has aluminum wheels!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jprestonian: Thank you VERY much for the input as a former owner. This helps my position a ton and is good to know the pluses and minuses from someone who has been there

Keys: Indeed. You of ALL people know what it's like to put miles on a bike up there on the Rim Country. If you give it a stamp of approval, that says something.

Me and the wife talked it over (as I was spending MORE cash on sound gear for work... I'm so glad I have an understanding wife! Got her Amanda Palmer tickets and got her in to see Henry Rollins for free this month to make up for my spending spree). It looks as if we're going to tell the Genuine dealer a very kind thank you but we are going to go with the Agility unless something pops up that is just an utter steal within 24 hours. The warranty and glowing reviews can't be beat as far as it's performance. I do wish it was a bit more of a looker, but it's not ugly. I'm all for utility which is what I need right now.

By this time tomorrow, we shall know. Once again, this is a great joint for ALL things scooters! And, I still have *most* of that Stella, so I won't be leaving the Genuine family

jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

neotrotsky wrote:jprestonian: Thank you VERY much for the input as a former owner. This helps my position a ton and is good to know the pluses and minuses from someone who has been there
You might wanna look back through the archives, over there. Had I not jumped on the People 250 when I did, I'd probably still be riding that Agility. The guy who bought it from me for $1900 still is. ;)
And, I still have *most* of that Stella, so I won't be leaving the Genuine family
I've yet to own anything from Genuine. Still, this is far and away the best scooter forum, and my experience with Genuine products @ ESS hopefully make me of some use. ;)
jprestonian

Now, the downside of the Agility125

Post by jprestonian »

One big minus with the Agility: The seat is a torture device. :) It's quite hard after 30 minutes; after an hour, you'll need intensive ass massage. ;)

There aren't many stock scooters that have comfy saddles, IMO. But the Buddy wins this one against the Agility... and that is saying something, as the Buddy saddle is no picnic. ;)

Why did I get the People 250 instead of continuing to ride the Agility? I took one cross-state trip on the Agility. My right hand was numb for three days, and my butt felt like... well, it wasn't pleasant. Also, I vibrated out some critical exhaust bolts with the many hours of WOT riding on that trip -- easily alleviated with the pre-application of the thread compound that I didn't do.

I thought I would be making trips like that more often than I turned out making, so the P250 seemed a good solution. And at $2336 barely used, a good deal, too.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I do love the Buddy of course, but several people I know have Kymco scoots with a fair amount of miles. Mine has over 20k on it and shows no signs of anything other than normal maintenance.

I've never sat on the Agility though.
phatch

Post by phatch »

neotrotsky wrote:So, unless the *perfect* Stella for around $2500 shows up (which has been thin as of late and to be fair I should really START on the frame I have sitting here!), it's these two.
There was a used black stella on CL for the longest time; did you ever contact the seller?
theflash784

Tuesday is the day...

Post by theflash784 »

Here's hoping you get the one that will serve your needs, be fun to ride and will last you a long time. Best of luck to you today!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

phatch wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:So, unless the *perfect* Stella for around $2500 shows up (which has been thin as of late and to be fair I should really START on the frame I have sitting here!), it's these two.
There was a used black stella on CL for the longest time; did you ever contact the seller?
Funny you mention that guy. I emailed him just before I had my grant to see if he would hold onto it. He orginally stated that he was moving and needed the bike gone by the first of the month. But, I didn't get my grant until the 2nd and that would of been after he moved. I told him that if anything changed I would keep in contact.

Well, after I got my funds I contacted him, and he not only said he had it but was still in state! But, he said "Well, the ad said $2000, but will you take it for $2200?". This was odd. I said that unless he had another buyer at the bit, then I was only interested in the advertised price.

He then mentioned that if I were interested, he wouldn't have the title for another week since it had "just been paid off" and was waiting for the bank to send him the title. This threw up another red flag for me. First he says he's moving out of state and cannot be here after the first (which he obviously *is* still here by his statement of meeting me). Then he ups the price on a Stella that should of sold in an instant if it is in the condition he says it is. Then he says he doesn't even have a title but "will" have one.

It was just too fishy. I already have a project Stella. In Arizona, it seems people have a *very* hard time keeping track of their own titles. There are countless machines that also have liens from title loan companies that the owners just try to sell for pennies on the dollar. They don't seem to care that calling it a car or bike "without title" when the title loan broker actually has the title is the same as selling a stolen vehicle. That, and the number of tweakers selling stolen bikes is insane in Phoenix. Meth IS a hell of a drug...

Syd

Post by Syd »

^^Praise the gods. Just stop reading CL for a few days, ok? :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

The suspense is building, what did you finally decide?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Well, for neo's sake I'm hoping he's not posting because he's out breaking in the new ride, whatever it might be.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Pics when you get it!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Pics of the winner are up in a new thread