Lost power, please help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

remowilleatyou

Lost power, please help

Post by remowilleatyou »

lately my buddy 125 (10K miles) has been dying on idle and start up, last time i did this i had the stator replaced and carb clean at 4k miles. Ran great after that. So I assume now its something to do with my fuel system getting dirty, threw some seafoam in there with a fresh tank, and decided to open up the carb and spray a little in there. i removed the top and the diaphragm with the jet needle. squirted 1ml of seafoam in there. put it all back together, but now all of my top end power is gone. top speed was 60 but now its 35. what can i do to fix the problem?

thanks, matt.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Since your loss of power seemed to occur directly after opening the carb, that's where your problem lies. I haven't personally dug into the carb myself, but based upon other posts I've seen here, I'd venture a guess that there's something amiss with the diaphragm. Either you didn't reinstall it correctly, or it's damaged. I believe someone here had an issue with a pinhole in the diaphragm - is it possible that you punctured it in the course of working on it?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's easy to reassemble a carb without the diaphragm properly seated.

Spraying SeaFoam into the carb won't do much more than adding it to gas and running it through. The carb should be cleaned with carb cleaner. Jets can be soaked, but it's best to use compressed air on them.

You need to sort of retrace your steps and make sure everything is properly assembled and connected.

The issue may not have been the carb, especially if you ride frequently. A few possibilities: bad/stale gas, auto choke, idle set too low…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
remowilleatyou

Post by remowilleatyou »

It's easy to reassemble a carb without the diaphragm properly seated.
turned out the loss of power was that i couldn't get it seated the first few times. the issue im still having is that its still stalling on idle and stubborn to start up. occasional back fire when coming to a stop or restarting it while riding too.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Yarrrrgh this has been happening to me, too!!! Cleaned carb with carb cleaner and compressed air, and it STILL dies during idle this afternoon...

Anyone suspect the fuel filter or something??!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Is it typical to use compressed air when cleaning a carburetor? Do you need to be careful of the diaphram? I wonder whether that can be damaged by focused air like that.

I tell you, I am on a roll tonight: First in a thread I admitted I'm not a doctor, then in a different thread I advised I am not a lawyer...now here I am confessing that I'm no mechanic. :P

I can change my own engine and gear oil though! :D
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

michelle_7728 wrote:Is it typical to use compressed air when cleaning a carburetor? Do you need to be careful of the diaphram? I wonder whether that can be damaged by focused air like that.

I tell you, I am on a roll tonight: First in a thread I admitted I'm not a doctor, then in a different thread I advised I am not a lawyer...now here I am confessing that I'm no mechanic. :P

(insert heavy Germanic accent now) Ve have vay's of making you admit things.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I know nothink!.... I hear nothink! (Schultz--Hogan's Heros) :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

michelle_7728 wrote:Is it typical to use compressed air when cleaning a carburetor? Do you need to be careful of the diaphram? I wonder whether that can be damaged by focused air like that.

Yes be very careful of the diaphragm! The compressed air is just for jets. You can also use a thin wire to clean them out. There's a post on that somewhere on MB…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…