Sidecars!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lokky

Sidecars!

Post by Lokky »

My shop is finally getting a sidecar demo Stella... I may be unable to resist getting one for my own :)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have a friend with one,too. warning they are fun...A bit of work to drive, be careful on turns the first few times. The amount of attention you receive in one is crazy!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

hehe yeah, it would likely become my shopping/out on the town/rally machine, especially now that Luna is looking at getting a car with a hitch!

Rode in one as a passenger before and it was lots of fun! Can't wait to try the shop's demo out!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I was looking around and the prices for these bounce from $4,500 to $7,500. How much is the side car (new), and how hard is it to put on the Stella?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

If I remember the numbers correctly the sidecar itself is around 2k, while having it installed by a shop is around 500$
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Sidecar rigs: Great fun, can't go 5 feet without attracting a crowd, awsome grocery getter, a chore to drive (you don't really ride it). Watch right turns and buy extra tires (you go thru them fast).
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Yes, they are difficult to ride. They are heavy. The KILL your acceleration and top speed. They are altogether impractical.

And man, do I still want a Stella with a sidecar :D :shock:
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Personally, i wouldn't want a sidecar with anything less than a p200 engine.

still, they are pretty awesome.

I have visions of combining a sidecar with an electric conversion, in order to get longer range. eh we all have pipe-dreams.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

neotrotsky wrote:Yes, they are difficult to ride. They are heavy. The KILL your acceleration and top speed. They are altogether impractical.

And man, do I still want a Stella with a sidecar :D :shock:

Dont forget it also kills the mpg with all the added weight.
I will also say that they are still amazing to look at.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:Personally, i wouldn't want a sidecar with anything less than a p200 engine.

-duo
In my case what I am tempted to do is use my current setup which has a 177 Pinasco kit and the stock Stella gearing.

The P200 may output a little more HP due to displacement but I feel like the lower gearing of the 150 would come out of top when you throw a sidecar into the equation!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

A close friend has a 09 2t with the hack......I have the same machine without.
His is tons-o-fun to operate and if you like to be noticed.....jeez, every stoplight is a 'meet someone new' moment.

However, the machine is bog slow, and rightly so......it has about 200 lbs. hanging off the side.
That, and the rolling resistance of another wheel......with him driving and me riding we've got 350 lbs. of humans, 200 lbs. of hack, and the Stella itself.
I estimate the whole shootin match to be just under 800 lbs.
All this, being tugged around with eight or nine horsepower.
And I haven't even considered wind resistance.

I will have the setup someday though, BUT, only when I can attach it to a 200cc hopefully injected Stella.
Till then, I'll swipe his from time to time heh, heh.

Rob