Stella Fumbles - No Touchdown!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Snafooo

Stella Fumbles - No Touchdown!

Post by Snafooo »

As long as I can remember, I've always wanted a 1948 Indian Motorcycle with a sidecar. I looked at British Enfield, Honda, Harley, etc., but since I'm older now I've decided a scooter is more my speed. So after about 6 months of research, I have chosen a Genuine Stella with a Cozy Rocket sidecar in Red (only because they don't make a 10" Euro). This is going to be my documentation of ordering "The Rig" and the mayhem that ensues.

In June of 2012, I called a Genuine dealer and spoke to the owner. I told him that I was interested in a fully loaded 2012 Stella with a Sidecar and was wondering what the cost would be. I told him all the things I wanted on it, (windshield, racks, floor mat, etc.) He gave me a "round-a-bouts" estimate of $7200.00. I then asked if I could demo it, to which he said that because of insurance reasons, they don't allow demo rides.

In the first week of July, I went to the dealer location just to take a "look see" at a Stella. I saw that it wasn't too big and I felt that I would be able to handle it. Keep in mind that I will never drive this scooter without the sidecar. I am buying it with the rig attached. The third week in July, I called and ordered "The Rig". After many phone calls back and forth, I was told that the lead time on the sidecar would make the possession date of sometime in mid-to-late October. I was also told that I could have the scooter early, which I declined.

The third week of August, I got a call from the Genuine dealer who said he was able to locate a sidecar still in the crate and would I be interested in getting my rig early? Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?? And thus begins the trials and tribulations of just ordering the doggone thing.

I was told that the sidecar as shown on Cyclesidecar.com is not the same as the 10"sidecar and does not come with all the accessories that the larger one does. Ok, fine. Where do I get a "tonneau cover" for it? I was told "Oh, any top shop can make one for you and it wouldn't be too much". Have you ever googled "top shop"? I could not find a "top shop" that didn't feature topless dancers. A search for "tonneau covers" results in hard and soft covers for pick-up trucks. I was also told originally that I could have the Stella scooter (as pictured) with a black, not tan, seat. This is not so. And Genuine is not able or willing to switch it for me. What wonderful customer service in this economic climate! So, a search for "auto upholstery" took care of both things. I have located a shop not 10 minutes away from me who will not only be happy to reupholster the seat, but will make the tonneau cover as well. And without topless dancers! How much? Beats me. I have to take "the rig" in to get an estimate first. Who decided to put a tan seat on a red scooter??

On August 28th, everything was finalized and ordered. I gave my preferences on the racks, top case, windshields, floor mat, everything. I was told it would be a 2012 Stella because Genuine is not manufacturing a 2013 model. Everything was supposed to be ordered the next day and I was to go to the Dealer on Saturday, September 8 to get my scooter. I contacted my insurance company, Allstate, and asked for a quote. They asked for the VIN on the scooter so that they could have the paperwork ready for Saturday the 8th. Here is where things get hinky. I gave the VIN to Allstate and thought everything was going to be right. You've heard the saying "Man plans, God laughs"? The Genuine dealer told me that UPS told him delivery of the sidecar would be on September 9th. Since when does UPS deliver on a Sunday? I email him back asking him if he was using a Mayan or Chinese calendar instead of the common Gregorian one. He then tells me late Friday afternoon (after calling the wrong number to get me all day) that everything is delivered. I said, "Well, it looks like I'm not going to be picking up my scooter tomorrow, am I?" I also mentioned THIS WEBSITE and told him of all the problems that seem to be associated with Dealers not doing the correct QC on the scooters. He assured me that his dealership does go through everything and is even aware of the clutch clamp problem. Telling him that I will expect to pick up "The Rig" (I HAVE to get a better designation for it. Any ideas?) on the following Saturday, Sept 15.

With a time and date stamp of 5:00pm Friday, Sept. 7, Allstate emails me that the VIN is "incorrect for the year and model" of the scooter. I immediately email the Genuine dealer back telling him of the incorrect VIN. After hearing no response from him, on Saturday, at 10:15 I called and left a message with Mr. Voicemail. Two hours later, he calls back - and this is where the hinkiness starts. Seems that when he was talking to "Chicago" (this is what he calls the Genuine HQ) he was told of a dealership that went bankrupt and had a lot of old stock. He was told there was a 2010 Stella in Red that he could have for $700.00 less and did he want it instead of the 2012? Without asking me, he said yes. (I suppose he was just going to let that little detail slip by if Allstate hadn't caught it.) I still wonder why there is a screw-up with the VIN, though. Shouldn't the VIN he gave me be the one for the 2010? Anyway, I told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted what I ordered - a 2012 Red Stella. He then asks me if I wanted a 2013. Nowwaitaminutehere. Not more than 2 weeks ago I was told that Genuine was not even manufacturing 2013 models. In two weeks they've decided to ramp up production? He backpedaled a lot on that one. The Genuine dealer said he would order the 2012 scooter and he should have it next Friday, September 21st. It looks as if I will not be able to get possession of it until the 29th. And, how in the heck am I going to be able to tell if it's a 2010 or a 2012?

So, as it is now, September 8, I do not have a scooter but I have a sidecar. I am wondering if I can jury-rig it to my Razr Scooter?
Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off.
pesce

Post by pesce »

If I was a tad older, and I wasn't so Damn excited to get my 2010 stella last year... I would have found another dealer.

There is a thread or two here with a checklist to go over before you pick it up.

If I was paying 7-9k for a stella, I'd be a Damn stickler for the details.

I was very disappointed with my stella, because of the dealer lack of prep, for about 12 months before I finally got over it.

Sorry man!
pesce

Post by pesce »

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heh. That new-old-stock scoot would have probably ended up being a 2T that you couldn't license.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
anthony

Obvious response is obvious

Post by anthony »

but yeah, sounds like you need to go to another dealer. I don't think this is a Genuine issue so much as a bad local dealer issue.
vantage

Post by vantage »

Sound like a cruddy dealer.

I think that there are alot of dealers around the country trying to turn stock even if it means lying to the customers.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Only thing I can offer here is that Allstate did have a screw up with my VIN too. Basically they didn't have the make and model in their system at all. My agent had to dial it in as Other and off road vehicle but assured me that I would be insured for liability, which is all I carry anyway. You may want to check if their issue is something like this. If so, maybe they can work around, or you can contact another company.
Snafooo

Post by Snafooo »

So, the end of this saga is that I called the Evil Dealer today and cancelled the order for the Stella and Sidecar. I told him I had called my bank and they reversed the $4,000.00 deposit. He then told me that I owed him for the shipping. I asked him "Shipping on what? I ordered a 2012 Stella and you had them ship a 2010. I don't owe you squat!" He hung up on me.

So now I have nothing but a bad experience with Genuine Scooter Co. I wonder if you can hook up a 10" sidecar to a different type of scooter?
Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Snafooo?

You have not had a bad experience with Genuine.

You HAVE had a awful experience with a dealer that markets Genuine products.
The downside of franchise agreements, for a distributor, such as Genuine in this case, is the dealer remains a independent business operation.
As such, the only recourse Genuine has is to not renew the agreement when it is time for the dealer to renew.

Same thing happens with auto dealers.....one outfit does a stellar job of representing a certain brand and the same brand is so poorly represented and serviced a couple of towns away that the parent corporation ends up denying franchise renewal.

I hope you will at least visit another Genuine dealer in the hopes of restoring your confidence.

No, I don't work for a motorcycle/scooter dealer.
But I've been in the biz forever.

Good luck, Rob
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Your side-car will fit a P-Series Vespa, Same setup as on the Stella.

Cant put one on a Buddy.

I've seen one on a Helix before.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Not that it helps with the dealers dishonesty- because he did order something different than what he said he would- But is there any real difference between a 2010 and a 2012 4T Stella? As long as the condition is still good, I think they are the exact same build aren't they?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Tom wrote:Not that it helps with the dealers dishonesty- because he did order something different than what he said he would- But is there any real difference between a 2010 and a 2012 4T Stella? As long as the condition is still good, I think they are the exact same build aren't they?
what really sketches me is that there is no such thing as a 2010 production series Stella.

They stopped making the 2T in 09 and the 4T didn't come until 2011 as the 2012 model.
pesce

Post by pesce »

Haha, I have a 2010 4t which I got practically straight off the crate in Mar 2011. First shipment to the US

I'm sure mine was manufactured in 2009
vantage

Post by vantage »

Re: Allstate

They could not find my bike either under Stella. I called back and said look under Genuine and it came right up.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Robbie wrote:As such, the only recourse Genuine has is to not renew the agreement when it is time for the dealer to renew.
Oh, if only it were that easy to be rid of a bad dealer in CA. Unfortunately, it's not. It's very difficult to sever a dealer franchise agreement here.

There are other dealers in the region with Stellas in stock. It's up to the dealer, not Genuine to do the swap for the black seat.

Also, you want an EXPERIENCED dealer mounting that sidecar to the scooter. I don't know who you're working with, but unless they've done a number of these, I wouldn't be too confident in their ability to get it mounted and balanced correctly. It takes time and a lot of adjustment—not a simple bolt-on deal to do it right.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

ericalm wrote:
Robbie wrote:As such, the only recourse Genuine has is to not renew the agreement when it is time for the dealer to renew.
Oh, if only it were that easy to be rid of a bad dealer in CA. Unfortunately, it's not. It's very difficult to sever a dealer franchise agreement here.

There are other dealers in the region with Stellas in stock. It's up to the dealer, not Genuine to do the swap for the black seat.

Also, you want an EXPERIENCED dealer mounting that sidecar to the scooter. I don't know who you're working with, but unless they've done a number of these, I wouldn't be too confident in their ability to get it mounted and balanced correctly. It takes time and a lot of adjustment—not a simple bolt-on deal to do it right.
Regarding California franchise law.......Eric, if ever there was a example of 'Home Rule' laws screwing up the program, well, it's true, California is the poster child.
Different fuel standards, different emission standards, franchise law and countless other variations......I guess the weather must be the motivation to stay....can't think of much else from a busnessmans standpoint.

Rob
Tom

Post by Tom »

pesce wrote:Haha, I have a 2010 4t which I got practically straight off the crate in Mar 2011. First shipment to the US

I'm sure mine was manufactured in 2009
Right, mine is the same. Paperwork does say 2010 though on mine. I think that year made/ year bought fudgery is pretty common with motorcycle paperwork though isn't it?
Snafooo

I GIVE UP.

Post by Snafooo »

Although I really had my heart set on a Stella (I can still see that logo in my mind), I have given up on getting a Stella. At first I thought of going to NoHo Scooters, but then I thought that if I needed it serviced, it would be a hassle to go back there. No way was I going to go to the Evil Dealer, and there is another dealer in OC who apparently won't do warranty work on a scooter you don't buy from him.

So....
I'm moving on to a Vespa 300 GTS Super. Yeah, yeah, they're 6,200.00 but I have more money than sense. Plus, there are plenty of mechanics in the Orange County area who work on Vespas, and one is less than 5 miles from me.

I've been in touch with Doug Bingham of Side Strider Sidecars who said he can put a sidecar on just about anything. Apparently there is a big whoop de do in Griffith Park on Sunday. All sorts of sidecars and sidecar enthusiasts, and I was invited to come see. There will be rigs there for purchase as well. If I don't see one that I like, I'll have everything shipped to Doug's and he'll do the hook-up for me.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and support. I really wish I was getting a Stella, but there just doesn't seem to be a way of getting around the disreputable people who are the Genuine dealers in my area.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
vantage

Post by vantage »

If you have that kind of cash to toss at a sidecar rig and were drawn to the vintage Stella , then Consider a URAL. It is a NEW vintage motor cycle made in Russia. There are dealers in the usa.

It was a copy of an early BMW bike.

If I recall correctly the wheel on the sidecar can be driven by the motor on the bike by flipping a lever.

These bike are tough, not graceful but utilitarian and do pretty well on gravel roads, trails etc. THey also ride well in moderate snow

URAL has been around since pre wwII
Snafooo

Post by Snafooo »

Ya know, I saw those and thought they were really neat, however, I do not want a scooter or a motorcycle that I have to straddle. Hence, a scooter. 8)

And the underseat storage that the Vespa has will make up for the loss of the hangy thingy where I would hang my purse.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

The Hangy Thingie is called a 'Bag Hook' or 'Helmet Hook' sometimes, and I believe the modern vespa's have them on the legshield instead of on the frame below the seat.
Snafooo

Post by Snafooo »

Then things are looking better and better!