Gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anemone77

Gear

Post by anemone77 »

Hello Forum! I just bought a Buddy at the end of June, and my Corazzo jacket isn't going to cut it for cold/rain. Can any of you recommend where the go-to site is for warm attire for scooters? Some of the one-piece suits I've seen seem a little much for scooter riding. Any advice on whether to purchase a one or two piece and WHERE to purchase would be greatly appreciated. I will be using my scooter all year to commute around the Portland/Clackamas area for nurisng school/clinicals. Thank-you. --Anemone77
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

Check out Cycle Gear... they're a pretty decent retailer. Their store brand, "Bilt" is a low priced option (though quality varies)... I think their rain jacket called the Tempest (or something) was rated fairly well.

Revzilla.com motorcyclesuperstore.com leatherup.com cyclegear.com ... um, I'm sure there are a few others as well, just can't quite remember at the moment. Amazon also has a selection of riding gear... some of those sellers also have their own websites.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Here's the best deal going for a rain suit: Frogg Toggs Road Toad - $44.95. It is a nice, very ligh-weight, easily stored on a scooter, suit. Mine's kept me dry in total downpours here in LA. Frogg Toggs also makes more heavy duty suits if you feel you need one.

For other gear check out MotorcycleGear.com or Motorcycle-Superstore.com or MotorcycleCloseouts.com... there are a bunch good places but I prefer these.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
anthony

Post by anthony »

Corazzo actually makes a rain suit:

http://www.corazzo.net/node/619

though I can't attest to how well it works.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I ride year round here in Portland in my Corazzo 5.0, even in the rain. When it's cold, I wear a fleece jacket underneath and it works great. This is, of course, in conjunction with whatever seasonal clothing I happen to be wearing. So, for instance, in really cold weather, I might have on a long sleeve shirt, sweater and fleece under the jacket. I've ridden down to 16 degrees in my 5.0, with the proper layers underneath. For rain, I've only had it soak through a couple of times; that was during exceptionally heavy downpours and it only soaked through on the stretch panels that are exclusive to the women's jacket. My commute is about 15 - 20 minutes of saddle time, so that probably comes into play too. It might soak through if I had a longer ride.
lucasan

Post by lucasan »

I've been looking at the Corazzo stuff and it looks pretty nice. What do you think of the overall quality pdxrita? Is it worth the price?
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Ive also been looking to buy a Corazzo 5.0

My question is, does it look like a normal jacket when you wear it, or is it apparent that it is a motorcycle jacket? I am looking for something that has some protection, but could function as a normal jacket as needed. I have a Olympia Jacket that is bulky, stiff, and not much fun to wear when off the bike. Its great for long rides, but for my 5 mile commute, I want something a bit more comfortable.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've got the Corazzo Tempeste and I'm happy with it. It's worth the price IMO...
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

walke2jd wrote:Ive also been looking to buy a Corazzo 5.0

My question is, does it look like a normal jacket when you wear it, or is it apparent that it is a motorcycle jacket? I am looking for something that has some protection, but could function as a normal jacket as needed.
I have a couple of Corazzo jackets: A Mesh Speedway for warmer days and a Leather 5.0 for cooler weather. Both look like motorcycle jackets, but both are still less Starwars-esque than most of the motorcycle gear out there.

I also like the Triumph jackets.

Check out the Corazzo Shop Jacket. It comes really close to a scooter jacket that looks like a normal jacket.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I love my Corazzo and think it's worth the money. This is actually my second 5.0. When I crashed my Italia, I had the first one replaced by my insurance. It didn't really suffer much damage - a tiny tear to the racing stripe on the front, but as long as they were willing to replace it, I went ahead. For the record, the part of me that was covered with my jacket was completely unscathed, so it did work when it needed to. My only minor gripe is with the neck. It's a bit taller than I'd like and my helmet strap sticks to the velcro if I don't have it closed. I only leave the neck open if it's hot and then I just tuck the velcro in to prevent that. As for whether it looks good as a regular jacket, I do not normally wear mine around during the day. I'd say it can't pass for a regular jacket. But at the same time, it is much more stylish than a regular riding jacket. I've gotten several complements on it. It's sporty looking and I like that.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

walke2jd wrote:Ive also been looking to buy a Corazzo 5.0

My question is, does it look like a normal jacket when you wear it, or is it apparent that it is a motorcycle jacket? I am looking for something that has some protection, but could function as a normal jacket as needed. I have a Olympia Jacket that is bulky, stiff, and not much fun to wear when off the bike. Its great for long rides, but for my 5 mile commute, I want something a bit more comfortable.
Stick with the Olympia. Much better quality (IMO), and it will soften up the more you wear it. I put three years of daily, 4-mile commuting on my AST and it has served me loyally. Mine is hi-viz so it looks like a moto jacket. I work at a college and the kids think it's cool that I ride to work when it's 10F.

I have a Corazzo 5.0 and it just doesn't fit right. I don't know if it's because I'm really tall, or what, but the collar is scratchy, the arms don't seem long along (and don't cinch down at the wrists tight enough), and I hate the stretchy panels that allow water to pour in.

I've since switched to Rukka and will wear nothing else. Amazing quality, exceptional safety protection, absolutely waterproof, and looks fantastic. Yes, it's expensive, but if you find a used Rukka, you've got the best moto gear you can buy. I got one jacket for $100 and another for $125 used. New, I paid about $400, but I know I'll get years of daily, waterproof riding.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have owned several Corazzos at this point and my "daily rider" jackets have always been Corazzos for quite some time. The Corazzo Tempeste is a really great multi-season/cool weather jacket. It's not as heavy as some of the dedicated winter/heavy gear out there, though. Good for layering and areas where you encounter a lot of climate variations (such as LA, SF, other coastal regions). Good water resistance, that could be improved by a wash with Nikwax.

My Tempeste also survived two crashes and protected me well where it has armor and from any abrasion injury to my upper body. The first, I landed on my side. Got up and brushed it off; couldn't tell I'd gone down. The second, I tore one of the front chest pockets, which was open at the time (I often used it for maps, papers, parking tickets).

My current daily rider is a Corazzo Postale that will probably work through the winter for me here with some under layers.

The fits do vary by model and style, so definitely try them on.

(Oh, standard disclaimer: Corazzo is a sponsor here but in no way influences what I say or whether I say anything about them here. I don't have to say anything at all if I don't like the gear and wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't wear.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Thanks for the info. I think I will try wearing my Olympia a bit longer to see if it does break in a bit. Mine is also Hi-Viz, so while its not super stylish, I do get noticed. And it does match my Hi-Viz helmet...

Maybe I'll get a Corazzo for xmas so I can compare.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have a Postale as well, the black and red.

I can't say enough good about it. It's stylin, treated me well, and very good quality.

I picked up a used Joe Rocket for the winter. It's missing the back armor and the liner, but both are easily replaced. it's just a bit bulkier (I look like a short cyborg in it) but I can layer a lot more under there in the winter.

Last winter was when I started riding full time, and all I had was a mesh jacket with liner, then a hoodie underneath. I'm hoping to be a bit warmer this winter :P.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Skully93 ..... snow here in the mountains yesterday. Frost on the pumkin this am. It's going to be a cold winter, think layers.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

walke2jd wrote:Thanks for the info. I think I will try wearing my Olympia a bit longer to see if it does break in a bit. Mine is also Hi-Viz, so while its not super stylish, I do get noticed. And it does match my Hi-Viz helmet...
^^^^ not stressed enough, Hi-Viz. sure it may look goofy, but it's saved me from close calls countless times, and probably a lot more then I even realized. Gear is great if you are struck, but avoiding accidents all together is even better!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

avonpirate wrote:Skully93 ..... snow here in the mountains yesterday. Frost on the pumkin this am. It's going to be a cold winter, think layers.
Yep! I have thermals to go under, as well as various layers of socks, hoodies, winter gloves, etc.

I won't go too nuts as my commute is really short. By the time I am truly cold, I am there. I probably will not ride my scoot to Boulder along 93 all through the winter :P.