Help with a gear oil leak please

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mybuddy

Help with a gear oil leak please

Post by mybuddy »

Hey everyone, got back from riding my buddy to work on Friday and notice what looked like oil all over the rear rim and tire. On close inspection it looks like the gear oil that my shop mechanic put in was leaking out of the bottom hole in the picture shown below. So not knowing how much has leaked out, I drained the gear oil to replace with the proper amount required. I ended up draining 250ml of gear oil. Isnt this a lot more then is required in the manual? I thought it only took 90-100ml. Was this hole then just an overflow type of thing? should I put 250ml back in it, or just the recommended 90ml?
Attachments
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (33.76 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
Last edited by mybuddy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

There have been a few of us who've had that issue... Not sure what the cause is. :(
Huh? What just happened?
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Well that kinda sucks. Having oil sprayed all over your tire while riding is not a good thing.

I wonder if after my 500 mile checkup too much oil was added and the pressure was just blowing it out that hole? I have no idea.

But is the recommended level supposed to be 90-100ml? Or 250ml like i drained out of there?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Did you get an answer?

See the link below and go to page 11 of the service manual.
It seems like you do have too much oil in the drive gear but 90 cc may also be too little, it says 110 cc but replacement is 90cc? Not sure what that means.
Was your bike just serviced?

Orange Buddy 125

New postPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote Report post
http://www.genuinescooters.com/ftp/budd ... manual.pdf

Oops! Here's the intact link. It may take a moment to load; it's 110 pages.

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Keys

Post by Keys »

The gearbox had WAY too much oil in it. The little hole that it was coming out of is called a "weep hole" and is designed to relieve pressure whenever too much builds up in there. Since there was too much oil, there was too much pressure and the weep hole did it's assigned duties flawlessly. The proper amount of oil is measured in cubic centimeters (cc's) NOT milileters. The correct amount is 90 - 110. I just replaced mine with Mobil One synthetic gear oil...100 cc's of it...and it is just right. Put in the correct amount and keep an eye on the weep hole for a day or two. It should be alright.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

I have seen folks make the same mistake on Kymcos. You need to measure the oil before you put it in. Some people just assume that you need to fill the oil up to the fill plug level like on old Vespas and lambrettas.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

rajron wrote: it says 110 cc but replacement is 90cc? Not sure what that means.
That's because when you're draining it, there is probably a residual 10-20cc that does not drain out- it's coating everything or in various nooks and crannies.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

rajron wrote:Did you get an answer?
Well after reading all these post I think I got an answer now.
rajron wrote:Was your bike just serviced?
Yes, I had just gotten it back from the dealer for its 500 mile servicing. Thats when I noticed the leak.

Sound like from previous post, that there was too much oil that was put back in the bike. I drained it and refilled with the proper amount. I will see how it goes.

I will also be calling the dealer to see what happend on their end.

Thanks for the help folks!
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

Keys wrote:The proper amount of oil is measured in cubic centimeters (cc's) NOT milileters. The correct amount is 90 - 110. I just replaced mine with Mobil One synthetic gear oil...100 cc's of it...and it is just right.

--Keys 8)
Conveniently enough, 1 cc = 1 ml, so in essence they are the same.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Called the dealer today and the mechanic said that he had filled it up all the way. :?

So that was the problem, too much gear oil in the engine and the pressure was causing it to come out the overflow hole.

Seems to be fine now that I replaced it with the proper amount. No more leaking. :)

Thanks everyone for the help!
sparty

Post by sparty »

It finally stopped raining and I noticed there's a puddle of oil underneath my scooter. it appears to be dripping from the left side somewhere... I wonder if it's the same thing (overfill). I guess my dealer has no idea how much of oil is needed either :-(
Keys

Post by Keys »

In my experience, with most little gearbox's like this (small engines included, like Briggs & Stratton), you DO fill until you reach the bottom of the fill-hole. Measurement is a non-issue. Therefore, it's hard to fault a mechanic just doing what he's always done when it may be his first time working on a new Buddy. One would think however, that he'd at least read the manual...

It may be up to us to inform our mechanics and dealers what is what on a Buddy. We are the ones who are excited about our new scooters and read EVERYTHING we can about them...they may not! And it IS a brand-new product.

--Keys 8)
sparty

Post by sparty »

Is it possible that the oil is leaking from somewhere else or that this is a gear oilt container defect? We kind of established that leaking from overfill is not an issue, but should I be concerned that it has a hole or something and that the gear oil is running out?
Keys

Post by Keys »

If the problem persists, yes, you should be concerned. Lack of oil will ultimately bring about the death of your gearbox. It could be a hole in the case somewhere, or perhaps the pressure build-up from before may have dislodged a seal somewhere. This would be a dealer/mechanic issue.

--Keys 8)
James Tate

Post-service oil leak

Post by James Tate »

I had my 500 mile service yesterday, and have had two rides (that I noticed) with a lot of gear oil sprayed all over the tire and gear box. I talked to my mechanic and he used a syringe to measure the oil before putting it in. I think he said he added 150cc, but I don't remember. It seems like an awful lot of oil is being released. Any indication when this problem should sort itself out before I look into other causes?
Thanks for the help.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Sparty, it sucks your having this problem.

I haven't gone in for my first service yet, but I'll be sure to mention your case to them so they're careful refilling the oil.

Keep us updated on anything your find out.

And keys, thanks for your help.
mybuddy

Re: Post-service oil leak

Post by mybuddy »

James Tate wrote:I had my 500 mile service yesterday, and have had two rides (that I noticed) with a lot of gear oil sprayed all over the tire and gear box. I talked to my mechanic and he used a syringe to measure the oil before putting it in. I think he said he added 150cc, but I don't remember. It seems like an awful lot of oil is being released. Any indication when this problem should sort itself out before I look into other causes?
Thanks for the help.
After I put in the proper refill amount (90ml) my leak stopped. 150ml is still too much oil.

Hope this helps
James Tate

Fixed

Post by James Tate »

Thanks for the information. I went back to the shop today after constant leaking and they drained 145ml and refilled it. Seems to have fixed the problem. I thought the service manual recommended 110ml? Thats what I have in it now.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Keys wrote:In my experience, with most little gearbox's like this (small engines included, like Briggs & Stratton), you DO fill until you reach the bottom of the fill-hole. Measurement is a non-issue.
If you are going to simply rely on the fill hole as an indicator, this may result in an under- or over-fill condition. Best to measure and fill using the drain hole as a secondary indicator. Just my opinion, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when such a simple operation can prevent problems.
OkieBuddy

Too much gear oil, been there, done that!

Post by OkieBuddy »

I also overfilled my gear oil and had black all over my back tire wheel rim. After I drained it again, make sure to open both plugs to drain it, I filled it with the measured 90 ml and cleaned the wheel rim and everything else. After a few more rides, the leak was over and no more black gear oil on the rear wheel rim. Lesson learned, used a syringe (turkey baster) from Walmart kitchen utinsels to fill it. Make sure you do not lose the washer on the bottom plug.
Jim
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Bump, because I've been having this issue since my first service. Drained the fluid, and re-filled with proper amount. Hoping this fixes it.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

so mine has been leaking off and on since the first service, progressively worsening. i just replaced the gear oil. turns out the screw was stripped. so there's another potential reason for a leak. anyone have details on what kind if screw i need to replace it?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Keys wrote:The proper amount of oil is measured in cubic centimeters (cc's) NOT milileters.
Slightly off-topic FYI: one cubic centimeter (cc) is exactly equal to one milliliter (ml).

...and that's your metric system lesson for today. Tune in tomorrow when we'll discuss replacing all MPH speed limit signs with km/h versions! (And bring some marshmallows -- we can toast them in the flames this post generates!) :wink:
Old Crow

Post by Old Crow »

Ah, no flames with which to roast marshmellows!
The US should have switched to metric 100-years ago.
One thing Jimmy Carter got right was trying to convert us in the late '70s. Now we are about the only country on the planet that hasn't switched.
As an engineer and DIY mechanic I'm sick of two sets of tools and looking at technical drawing and wondering if the measurements on specs are metric or English (now only US).
Long live the USA but may our measurement system quickly die!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

LOL, I hear you about the tools.

Also, since you brought this old thread up again, I will just comment that I recently had this issue with the gear oil leaking...first just a drip or two on the left side, then during a long uphill ride it got splattered ALL over the rear wheel and tire on both sides....dripping down the tire almost to the point of where it would have made the tire slip out from under me in a turn.

Same issue as many posts earlier in this thread...too much gear oil had been added by the mechanic. No more drips at all after I drained it all out and filled it with the proper amount of gear oil. :D

My quick fix (so I wouldn't fall) during the ride (since I was way away from town and tools), was to dip some napkins in my gas tank and use that to wipe the oil off of my back tire. Luckily it was OVER full, and not a situation where all my gear oil had drained out, so it worked out fine. :)
Old Crow

Post by Old Crow »

Aw, the importance of a nearby shop with mechanics that know your type of ride! One reason why I'm a DIYer for things as simple as lubes, belts, tune-ups, etc. is the nearest trust-worthy shop is a couple hours away. Plus I like tinkering every once in a while (though not enough to go true classic scoots/cars).

Admittedly my paranoia of screwing up combined with OCD really slows me down the first time. :lol: But it's always good and my tools are more than paid for by savings.

The one who finishes the game with the most tools wins! :D
(But you don't get to count both metric and English.)