Considering selling after falling

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike900

Considering selling after falling

Post by Mike900 »

All right you MB'ers of much greater experience. I put the blur down on commuting in a couple of weeks ago. The road was wet and there was some mud that I hit as I was turning into work. I was (mostly) geared up and it was real low speed affair. Total damage - one pair of dockers and a few scuffs on the plastic.

So my problem is I am not having fun riding since. It alsohas set my riding confidence back (slower speeds for turning, twitcher reactions). Overall i would guess I am less safe now.

Any others have this or is it my particular level of chickeness (is that a word?). How long before you felt like you were back to enjoying the ride because right now I am thinking of bailing?

Thanks
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Reacting to an accident with extra wary for some time after is completely normal considering the trauma. After my fall last November because of braking too hard, with just the front brake, I was paranoid for awhile about braking. I was more nervous riding, and did lose some of my confidence. At the same time, I felt like I learned a lesson, realized what I was doing wrong, and I will be a better rider from now on.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

There are numerous threads discussing this topic . . but only YOU can make that determination. Why fight what your instincts are telling you!
phatch

Post by phatch »

The consequences that pain provides are very real and cannot be ignored. Your apprehension is completely normal. Give it a little while and see how you feel before making any rash decisions.

One possibility would be to stay off the bike for a little while, until you want to get back on. I've found that I get used to riding when I do it consistently/habitually... but when I'm off for a while and get back on, those same exhilarating feelings come back :D
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

phatch wrote:The consequences that pain provides are very real and cannot be ignored. Your apprehension is completely normal. Give it a little while and see how you feel before making any rash decisions.

One possibility would be to stay off the bike for a little while, until you want to get back on. I've found that I get used to riding when I do it consistently/habitually... but when I'm off for a while and get back on, those same exhilarating feelings come back :D
I disagree. The last thing to do when experiencing trauma is to let it sink in by avoiding the activity. Fight the trauma by riding, and riding a lot. Don't let it take a hold of you. You're lucky that you have no injury preventing you from riding. I hurt my shoulder and couldn't ride for 2 weeks after my accident.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Well only you can decide what's best for you. I often wonder if i have an accident that i walk away from, when and if I will ride again. If anything you have a sobering reminder of just how many hazards are out there. Mud is shockingly slick. A few years ago, I was heading up a steep road where a water main had broken and mud was running down the street- it looked to be a very thin layer, so i proceeded with caution ...I found myself upright, wheels spinning and but the scooter not moving forward. The stuff seemed slicker than ice...and I've hit that too when temps dropped faster than expected - (all this was before S.cal living). While I was fortunate enough not to drop the scooter, both lessons have made me go forward in my riding with even more care.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ed85379 wrote: I disagree. The last thing to do when experiencing trauma is to let it sink in by avoiding the activity. Fight the trauma by riding, and riding a lot. Don't let it take a hold of you. You're lucky that you have no injury preventing you from riding. I hurt my shoulder and couldn't ride for 2 weeks after my accident.
I second this. I'd been off my main scooters for about three months while waiting for parts and spare time to work on them. Getting back on the Vespa was a bit intimidating for the first week, even though I've ridden Vespas for a long time. Three weeks in, and I'm mostly back in the groove. Still very mindful of braking distances and all the sand on the road from the monsoons.

Take your time and ride easy. Once you're back in the groove, move back onto the main roads. Give it time, and you'll be fine. The key is regaining confidence in your ability to control your bike.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I was a Nervous Nellie for over a year after I went down with my Buddy. I'm probably still super cautious.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

ed85379 wrote:Reacting to an accident with extra wary for some time after is completely normal considering the trauma. After my fall last November because of braking too hard, with just the front brake, I was paranoid for awhile about braking. I was more nervous riding, and did lose some of my confidence. At the same time, I felt like I learned a lesson, realized what I was doing wrong, and I will be a better rider from now on.
you are scooter shy.
sort of like what horse people go thru after they fall off thier horse or get a hoof in the crotch.
you have to keep at it to get over it.
fossel

Post by fossel »

I spun out on loose gravel on a windy roar.My fault I was going too fast for the conditions.Same for you .I never go fast in wet conditions.never,not in a car or a bike.I ride every day,and love it.My mishap is behind me now.Yiu will be the same .just take it slower until you feel comfortable!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

sell it if the riding experience does not improve and you cannot imagine it will. if this occurs you'll just stop riding naturally imo. why do something that is so dangerous much less something you don't want to do and can't enjoy?

give it a bit of time. if your concerns and fear do not diminish and you cannot ride safely on account, stop riding imo
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've had some close calls losing traction and/or control, and one time when the scoot slid out from under me on a slippery low-speed turn. I've also wrecked a couple cars, including one 6 days after I got my license.

After that first crash, my parents made sure I got behind the wheel again pretty quickly, to make sure I didn't lose my confidence. I was more cautious - probably overly cautious - after each of these incidents, and it took me some time to get back to my previous comfort levels. That's simply a sign of sanity, not an indication that you need to give it up. Give it time. Review the lessons on how to take turns safely, so you know you won't make the same mistakes again. Give yourself permission to ride like a newbie for a while.

If you still find yourself uncomfortable after starting over like this... then it may be time to back up further and get out of scootering altogether. But if you were enjoying it before, there's a good chance you'll find yourself enjoying it again, and you should give yourself a chance at that.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

When I took a fall on my Arrow I got back up, went to work, cleaned my wounds, worked my ass off, rode home, and hardly rode my bike unless I HAD to for a while. I would ride it if I needed to do so, but I did not want to for a while.

Then after taking it out when I needed it, it went from taking it because I wanted to take it out. Then I started riding it all the time, and then I bought the Buddy... So don't be afraid to ride it, but don't feel like you have to ride it all the time.
phatch

Post by phatch »

ed85379 wrote:I disagree. The last thing to do when experiencing trauma is to let it sink in by avoiding the activity. Fight the trauma by riding, and riding a lot. Don't let it take a hold of you. You're lucky that you have no injury preventing you from riding. I hurt my shoulder and couldn't ride for 2 weeks after my accident.
Fair enough....
Capt_Don wrote:...Then after taking it out when I needed it, it went from taking it because I wanted to take it out.
This is kind of my approach... while I haven't fallen on the Bud yet, I skate and get injured more than I'd like to admit. After some time off, I'm hankering to get back to it... but that could just be a personal problem :twisted:
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
If I ever dump my bike, I don't think it'll make me want to get rid of it.

It would either be because of some raging cager, or me mis-judging road conditions.

Either way, I'd get back up, REAL slow and steady for quite awhile until I got my confidence back up.
~~
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Have you ever taken the MSF course? If not, consider this a good time to take it which should help get your confidence back. If you have why not find a big empty parking lot (public school lot on a Sunday perhaps) and set up a few paper cups with enough water in them to keep them from blowing away or some of the peewee soccer cones (about 3" high florescent orange) to recreate the MSF range and practice the exercises you learned. That way you'll be in a controlled environment without a lot of other vehicles around to practice turns, weaves between cones and braking to get comfortable again with the skills you use.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I bought the MSF course on groupon for $100.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cdwise wrote:Have you ever taken the MSF course? If not, consider this a good time to take it which should help get your confidence back.
I agree. Riding with a low confidence level is pretty much an accident waiting to happen. Take positive actions to improve your confidence as a rider. An MSF course is one good way to approach that. If you have taken thte course before, you will learn more by taking it again. And then there are always the intermediate and advanced courses. You really can't overdo this sort of thing :wink: .
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Considering selling after falling

Post by ericalm »

Mike900 wrote:All right you MB'ers of much greater experience. I put the blur down on commuting in a couple of weeks ago. The road was wet and there was some mud that I hit as I was turning into work. I was (mostly) geared up and it was real low speed affair. Total damage - one pair of dockers and a few scuffs on the plastic.

So my problem is I am not having fun riding since. It alsohas set my riding confidence back (slower speeds for turning, twitcher reactions). Overall i would guess I am less safe now.

Any others have this or is it my particular level of chickeness (is that a word?). How long before you felt like you were back to enjoying the ride because right now I am thinking of bailing?

Thanks
Yes.

I first had a serious crash in 2006. One of those "not my fault, couldn't have avoided" kind of things. Due to injury, I had to take it slow getting back on the horse, but I was riding to physical therapy in a few weeks. The confidence was shaken, but came back quickly.

A few years later, I went down on my Stella in the canyons. This was purely due to ME, my speed, overconfidence, taking a very technical road on a scooter I was still getting used to. Scooter dented, I was banged up, but for some reason, this really shook my confidence.

Less than a couple months later, I totaled that Stella. Another "not my fault, unavoidable" crash.

At this point, I'd lost confidence both in my own abilities and in my general safety and the wisdom of commenting in rush hour in an urban environment. And getting it back was not easy at all. I was downright jittery at first. The twisties—my favorite riding—were particularly bad. I'd do okay for a bit, then just get anxious.

Honestly, in my experience, after a (fairly serious or frightening) crash, you never recover 100% of the all-around sense of enjoyment you once had. The memory of pain and anxiety does fade with time, but a part of it is still with you. And I was concerned after the last time that riding had been ruined for me. I know others who have given it up after a crash. I won't fault someone for doing that.

Obviously, I'm still riding and still enjoy the hell out of it. But it took a lot of thinking about it and a lot of time to regain my confidence. It was almost a year before I felt good riding the twisties and doing any technical riding. And I still get a little momentary flash on occasion, particularly doing fast curves downhill. At those times, I have to remind myself to trust in my knowledge and skills and not to push myself harder than is safe or necessary. In terms of the "general safety" issue, well, that's the risk that's always there. It's tyne risk I accepted when I started riding, and it hadn't changed since then. However, I am a less aggressive, more conscientious and cautious rider in traffic, when commuting.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

The term used, Eric, is 'Friendly Fear'

Those who have experienced gravity and sudden stops, using their body, always remember the absolute, out of control, and seeminly instant yet endless bouncing about.

From that point forward, a good rider operates with 'Friendly Fear'.....that occasional memory of the past and how will I avoid a replay.
Long term riders also will admit that there are days you should put the machine back in the garage......we are a bit of a cyclical animal.

Usually, you pick up on a 'not feeling sharp' type sense.....sometimes your cornering lines are wrong, sometimes you are braking too early or too late......your smoothness is off.
Those of us who shift will pick up on....uh, late shifting, missed shifts....a 'things aren't quite right sense.

Over the years, I have learned to act on those slightly off days and begrudgingly take the bike back to the garage and drive the cage......in my head: potental disaster avoided.

I 'Bit it' back in 1968.......thats when I met 'Friendly Fear'.....it has been my riding partner ever since.

Rob
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Robbie wrote: Long term riders also will admit that there are days you should put the machine back in the garage......we are a bit of a cyclical animal.

Usually, you pick up on a 'not feeling sharp' type sense.....sometimes your cornering lines are wrong, sometimes you are braking too early or too late......your smoothness is off.
Those of us who shift will pick up on....uh, late shifting, missed shifts....a 'things aren't quite right sense.

Over the years, I have learned to act on those slightly off days and begrudgingly take the bike back to the garage and drive the cage......in my head: potental disaster avoided.
Today is one of those days for me. My allergies are horrible and I just have that not sharp feeling, possibly compounded by anti-congestion medication so despite the fact that today is about as beautiful day for taking a scoot as you could want (perfect it if was say 5 degrees cooloer but still great) and I took the car to my first meeting and will take it to a user group meeting tonight as much as I'd prefer to take a scooter.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I crashed a few weeks into owning my Buddy. Once my shoulder stopped being sore I hopped back on. Yes my overconfidence led to the crash...after the crash my confidence was a little under normal...but I did get back on that horse so to speak.

FYI my crash happen in 2007, and I recently hit 10,000 miles on that same Buddy :)

GET ON YOUR HORSE and CONQUER YOUR WHALE... just thought i'd mix two metaphors
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Just to add my two cents; I felt the exact same way when I wiped out a month ago. I thought about selling it for a day or two. The wound healed, my scoot got some loving (and reflective tape to mask the bad scrapes!) but making right turns into curves leaves me paranoid that I'm about to spill again.

And then I realize I'm freezing up or I've shifted my weight, locked my arms, all things I'm *not* supposed to do. So before the turn is executed I take a quick breath and relax and trust that the scoot I rode for nearly a full year will do exactly what it's told to do and I ease into the turn.

As time goes by I know that I'll get that groove back where I would make that turn without a second thought, or even with a mad cackle and goosing the throttle as I enjoy the ride. I'll probably wipe out again, hopefully nothing too serious. But staying off the scoot will guarantee the recovery will be that much slower.

Good luck!
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I get your emotinal pain. After being hit by a motorist in a roundabout while on my Trek roadbike 6 weeks ago, I still find myself nervous and cautious, and distrustiung anyone behind the wheel of a car. This is good because in the past I didn't actively recognize the dangers. It is a struggle, but as Niche said "that which does not kill us makes us stronger."
I'm peddling again to regain my confidence. Life is better with a road bike in it.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I crashed in a hard left hand turn in 2008. I still have a "friendly fear" of left hand turns and tend to slow down more than I have to in order to negotiate the turns.

It is possible to regain the thrill and joy of riding. That being said, not everyone does.I have known several people who have sold the bike soon after crashing. They miss it for a while, then return to their lives and find other, less hazardous interests. The most recent of these actually crashed on Tucson's Genuine Ride.

So, if you've though it over and still feel you need to sell the bike, who am I to try to convince you otherwise. I hope you remember the scooter part of your life fondly and that you will always be more aware of the 2-wheelers on the road.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I agree that the fear is normal. I had quite a bit after my crash, to the point where I got a queasy feeling just driving past the place where I hit the ground for a while.

I had injuries that prevented me from riding for a few months, but, as soon as I got the bike cleared and could ride, I started going around the neighborhood.

Certain things that used to feel normal scared me a bit. I was used to being comfortable riding fairly aggressively (leaning in turns, etc. - not aggressive driving in traffic) and I am still getting used to that a year later.

I have a friend who crashed recently and she has been talking to me about the fear. I've been encouraging her to get back to riding.

I agree that it's generally important to not let the fear rule you. Even if you choose to not ride again regularly, get back up and conquer it in some sense.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

fear is good. scared or frightened, not so much. edge of panic is no good, either
Riding is riding
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Mike900;Buddyland:

I fell of my Buddy 125 going about 3MPH on rainslick smooth asphalt.
I did not get hurt but I was embarrassed. I got right back on it and rode and kept riding ever since months ago.

Use your accident like a wake up call to be safer on your Buddy, for all others and yourself. Also, think about whether your gear you have on will help prevent you from getting injured and worry less if you look funny while you are wearing it.

I am very blessed not to have been hurt badly as my hard plastic elbow an knee pads helped me from possible broken bones. I only got a smudge on my the hip part of my pants and a scratches on my pads.

Rick71454