Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Wheel World Things I Don't Get
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Southerner
Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Alabama
none yet - Got a motorcycle. Does that count?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will miss the old 500. It looked kinda butch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
avonpirate
Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illnoise: I agree with 2,3,8 &9. #4 made me laugh. HAven't been to any scooter rallies so I don't have an opinion.
_________________
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
black sunshine
Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 410
Location: Atlanta
2007 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illnoise wrote:
7) The 'Sachs' MadAss.


i was in agreement with you previously, but this beauty was hanging out outside my hotel during Dragon*Con this year:



i have to say, it caught my eye every time Smile posted it on my scooter club's Facebook page and it turns out that people knew it. my buddy Floyd actually got a speeding ticket on it once!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Southerner
Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Alabama
none yet - Got a motorcycle. Does that count?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree. What's not to like? It's as basic as 2-wheeled motorized transport can get.

One of my co-workers made it up there for Dragon-Con. She said it got pretty wild late at night. How'd you like it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
az_slynch
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 1766
Location: Tucson, AZ
'18 Spade, '16 K-Pipe, '13 Stella 4T, '12 Yager GT200i, '81 Vespa P200e and Far Too Many Others

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southerner wrote:
Have to agree. What's not to like? It's as basic as 2-wheeled motorized transport can get.

One of my co-workers made it up there for Dragon-Con. She said it got pretty wild late at night. How'd you like it?


I still kinda want one. It's like a "streetfighter" Cub. I just don't think I could give up my Benly 90 to make room for one, though. Guess I need to try one out before making that call...

_________________
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
TVB
Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 4961
Location: Grand Rapids MI
1999 Trek 7300 (Jim); 2009 Buddy 125 (Flash)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southerner wrote:
Have to agree. What's not to like? It's as basic as 2-wheeled motorized transport can get.

I could see myself on one of those.... it's got a nice moped-y look to it.
Quote:
One of my co-workers made it up there for Dragon-Con. She said it got pretty wild late at night. How'd you like it?

The Craigslist personal ads for Atlanta just before Dragon-Con can be... entertaining. Smile

_________________
"Keep smelling the flowers, Todd" - Philip McCaleb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Southerner
Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Alabama
none yet - Got a motorcycle. Does that count?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine. From what I hear from friends, quite a lot goes on there anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Scooterboi
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 157
Location: Lakewood, CO
'13 Piaggio BV350 - Black

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYMbionic Duo wrote:
I think that most of this thread can be summed up by saying that we don't like posers. whether they are 'hipsters' 'bohemians' 'weekend warriors' or whatever.
-duo


Nice summation and I agree.

OK. You can spot 'em in a heartbeat. The problem is THEY don't know they're posers. So how do you clue an otherwise oblivious poser in without inducing meltdown?

Reminds me of a Steve Martin gag. "Everyone complains about the weather, but no one ever DOES anything about it!"

Gallager had the idea of shooting a suction dart with a "Stupid" flag on the trunk of crazy drivers and when they had a bunch of them the cops can pull them over and give a ticket for driving like an idiot.

And there is always "Here's your sign!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Southerner
Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Alabama
none yet - Got a motorcycle. Does that count?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that weather gag was first done by Will Rogers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
TVB
Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 4961
Location: Grand Rapids MI
1999 Trek 7300 (Jim); 2009 Buddy 125 (Flash)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southerner wrote:
I think that weather gag was first done by Will Rogers.

It's also been attributed to Samuel Clemens. (But then, so have most pithy quotes that don't directly refer to modern technology. Confused )

_________________
"Keep smelling the flowers, Todd" - Philip McCaleb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
BootScootin'FireFighter
Member


Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 2062
Location: (Metro DC) Alexandria, Virginia
2012 Suzuki TU250x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my list...

1.)



Future champion of what? getting ripped off by buying cheap chinese crap? I had no idea that stickers made a scooter go faster!


2.)the Gap Band and Wu-Tang Clan not being played at scooter rallies!


3.)Bikes with loud pipes obnoxiously announcing their arrival at restaurant districts. Yea great, your bike's loud, your penis is small. Can we all enjoy our evening out in a little peace and quiet?


4.)Harley Davidson stores in places like Downtown Disney and Times Square that don't even sell bikes. Lame.


5.)These guys. Capital Beltway, all the time. It's either stuntin' by day, or racing through traffic at 100+ mph at night. At least they mainly stick to the Maryland side of the river.


_________________


DC Scooter Group

Scootercannonball 2012 blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
JBenjimin
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 52
Location: Lewiston, NY
Stella 2T 'Pluto'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Two Wheel World Things I Don't Get Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
Inspired by another thread.
6 This (specifically)


I saw one of 'that' in the parking lot at the local Arbys one night. I almost p*ssed myself laughing, it looked so strange. I didn't realize it was sold that way, I thought someone drew a sketch when they were drunk and took it to the custom shop to build it.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
neotrotsky
Member


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1556
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2009 Vespa GTS 250

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Two Wheel World Things I Don't Get Reply with quote

JBenjimin wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Inspired by another thread.
6 This (specifically)


I saw one of 'that' in the parking lot at the local Arbys one night. I almost p*ssed myself laughing, it looked so strange. I didn't realize it was sold that way, I thought someone drew a sketch when they were drunk and took it to the custom shop to build it.


Had one of those park next to me at the college when I was going to class this morning. The guy was in full leathers (+1 for safety, but it was 103 degrees by then) and chucked at my Kymco. He nods over and asks the expected: "So when you gettin' a REAL bike?".

I just looked over at his bike (which was the same sliver color as mine) and asked "Well, it's sliver, like yours. It's covered in plastic, like yours. It has underseat storage and side bags, like yours. It even has a nifty place for both of my feet behind shields, like yours. I only spent $2,100, and I got a 2 year unlimited warranty. Did you?"

And I just walked away. With two tests, an extra shift added to work and a trip to the DMV later that day, I wasn't in the mood for a response.

_________________
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

The Slow Kids Scooter Gang
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
black sunshine
Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 410
Location: Atlanta
2007 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southerner wrote:
One of my co-workers made it up there for Dragon-Con. She said it got pretty wild late at night. How'd you like it?


Dragon*Con is the yearly mecca for all things nerd, for me . . . this year did NOT disappoint! i had a blast, as always. i'm already planning my costumes for next year . . . !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
SYMbionic Duo
Member


Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 356
Location: Minneapolis
'09 Blackjack; '12 Kymco Downtown 300i; '85 Honda Elite 250; '04 GB150 Stella #42; '79 Lambretta Jet 200

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Here's my list...

5.)These guys. Capital Beltway, all the time. It's either stuntin' by day, or racing through traffic at 100+ mph at night. At least they mainly stick to the Maryland side of the river.


At least the one guy has some skill. How is it really any different than the kids doing bmx stunts or skater kids? or motocross or x games?

Putting other drivers at risk while doing stunts or racing is rude to say the least, but if they are only risking themselves, i say go for it.

_________________
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Southerner
Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Alabama
none yet - Got a motorcycle. Does that count?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Two Wheel World Things I Don't Get Reply with quote

neotrotsky wrote:
JBenjimin wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Inspired by another thread.
6 This (specifically)


I saw one of 'that' in the parking lot at the local Arbys one night. I almost p*ssed myself laughing, it looked so strange. I didn't realize it was sold that way, I thought someone drew a sketch when they were drunk and took it to the custom shop to build it.


Had one of those park next to me at the college when I was going to class this morning. The guy was in full leathers (+1 for safety, but it was 103 degrees by then) and chucked at my Kymco. He nods over and asks the expected: "So when you gettin' a REAL bike?".

I just looked over at his bike (which was the same sliver color as mine) and asked "Well, it's sliver, like yours. It's covered in plastic, like yours. It has underseat storage and side bags, like yours. It even has a nifty place for both of my feet behind shields, like yours. I only spent $2,100, and I got a 2 year unlimited warranty. Did you?"

And I just walked away. With two tests, an extra shift added to work and a trip to the DMV later that day, I wasn't in the mood for a response.


I guess that since his Victory is American-made, he felt he was "qualified" to hand out such remarks just like a Harley guy. Funny.

Victory actually makes some much saner and actually quite nice touring bikes. But I've sat on a few different models and they all feel heavy and unwieldy. Might be OK on the highway, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus


Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 3593
Location: Chicago, IL
Blur 150, various vintage Vespas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BootScootin'FireFighter"]Here's my list...

2.)the Gap Band and Wu-Tang Clan not being played at scooter rallies!

Would you settle for the Dazz Band? You will never attend a 2strokebuzz hospitality suite party without hearing "Let It Whip." Guaranteed. I could probably dust off my Bobby Digital LP but I was never all that into the Wu-Tang. I'm more of a Native Tongues kinda guy.

Or I have a really good Roger Troutman solo album…

Bb

_________________
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   AIM Address
az_slynch
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 1766
Location: Tucson, AZ
'18 Spade, '16 K-Pipe, '13 Stella 4T, '12 Yager GT200i, '81 Vespa P200e and Far Too Many Others

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Here's my list...

1.)



Future champion of what? getting ripped off by buying cheap chinese crap? I had no idea that stickers made a scooter go faster!


Well, it will beat you in a breakdown contest anyday, anytime. Laughing

They're the first scooters I've seen to have body panels crack without being crashed or dropped (even worse than 1987 Honda plastics!). I've seen a Chinese 50 where the engine gave out before the first fill in the oil tank ran out.

So, if you use Charlie Sheen's definition of "winning", I could see merit in the decals. Wink

_________________
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
neotrotsky
Member


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1556
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2009 Vespa GTS 250

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="illnoise"]
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Here's my list...

2.)the Gap Band and Wu-Tang Clan not being played at scooter rallies!

Would you settle for the Dazz Band? You will never attend a 2strokebuzz hospitality suite party without hearing "Let It Whip." Guaranteed. I could probably dust off my Bobby Digital LP but I was never all that into the Wu-Tang. I'm more of a Native Tongues kinda guy.

Or I have a really good Roger Troutman solo album…

Bb


But DEVO is still cool. Right?

Please tell me it is. If it isn't, then I never want to be right.

_________________
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

The Slow Kids Scooter Gang
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Rusty J
Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 109
Location: L.A. Beach Cities, CA
AN650K5, LX150S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neotrotsky wrote:
illnoise wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Here's my list...

2.)the Gap Band and Wu-Tang Clan not being played at scooter rallies!


Would you settle for the Dazz Band? You will never attend a 2strokebuzz hospitality suite party without hearing "Let It Whip." Guaranteed. I could probably dust off my Bobby Digital LP but I was never all that into the Wu-Tang. I'm more of a Native Tongues kinda guy.

Or I have a really good Roger Troutman solo album…

Bb


But DEVO is still cool. Right?

Please tell me it is. If it isn't, then I never want to be right.


Weren't they through being cool? Smile
Now you've done it. I want an Elite 150 and a DOT/Snell-rated flower pot!
Never did get the point of the retracting headlight on those -- by the time they were built, the US required motorcycle headlights to be on continuously. Maybe in Japan or Europe they didn't have that same limitation.

Anyhow, regarding a few previous WTFs:

- Way too many mirrors: This started as a sarcastic response to the first laws in Britain requiring mirrors on motorscooters.
- "Ape-hanger" (tall) motorcycle handlebars: A way to deal with carpal tunnel syndrome before anyone knew what it was. You're pretty much forced to roll your wrists into an ergonomically correct position by hanging onto the grips. When highway speeds were lower it didn't matter so much that this turned you into a human drag chute, and back then, optimized handling wasn't really a priority.
- "Chopper" (raked-out) forks: When motorcycle frame geometry was a black art rather than a science, this was a way to provide additional stability (lifting the steering head increases the rake angle by tilting the rest of the bike backward). Also, for drag-racing, it moved the center of mass forward to enable more solid launches without bringing the front wheel up.

These are all carried on as styling features (an excuse to add chrome) rather than out of any functional requirement.

- That "VIP" scooter: I can only assume it looks awesome to someone who doesn't read English, in the same way that some Japanese "sporty" cars have large Kanji decals that appeal to their non-Japanese-speaking owners. I have no idea why they don't leave the stickers off for the U.S. market though. It's not like 8-year-old kids are buying many of them...

- Sachs MadAss: Not exactly my cup of tea, but I understand the appeal.

- Fringey stuff: I want. To be. A cowboy! (If anyone remembers that punk song and who did it, let me know. Haven't heard it in so long that all I can remember is bits and pieces ...) Makes sense if your design esthetic derives from '50s Westerns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
SYMbionic Duo
Member


Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 356
Location: Minneapolis
'09 Blackjack; '12 Kymco Downtown 300i; '85 Honda Elite 250; '04 GB150 Stella #42; '79 Lambretta Jet 200

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Future cowboy was my fate, i can't help it that I was born late."

I want to be a cowboy - the vandals

_________________
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Rusty J
Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 109
Location: L.A. Beach Cities, CA
AN650K5, LX150S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you -- much appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
TVB
Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 4961
Location: Grand Rapids MI
1999 Trek 7300 (Jim); 2009 Buddy 125 (Flash)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYMbionic Duo wrote:
"Future cowboy was my fate, i can't help it that I was born late."

I want to be a cowboy - the vandals

The song is officially titled "Urban Struggle".

_________________
"Keep smelling the flowers, Todd" - Philip McCaleb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
SYMbionic Duo
Member


Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 356
Location: Minneapolis
'09 Blackjack; '12 Kymco Downtown 300i; '85 Honda Elite 250; '04 GB150 Stella #42; '79 Lambretta Jet 200

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, my bad. I was half asleep.
_________________
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
LunaP
Member


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 1154
Location: Richmond, VA
Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Here's my list...

1.)



Future champion of what? getting ripped off by buying cheap chinese crap? I had no idea that stickers made a scooter go faster!

3.)Bikes with loud pipes obnoxiously announcing their arrival at restaurant districts. Yea great, your bike's loud, your penis is small. Can we all enjoy our evening out in a little peace and quiet?



+1, snicker

I detest unnecessarily loud bikes. That's the reason I actually hated MC's for a long time... all my encounters with them growing up were limited to gaudy, noisy Hardleys and equally as noisy and impractical 'crotch rockets'. As I got older I gained an appreciation for older bikes that were nicer and less showboaty.

Also... Harley Davidson store merch... at all. I went and looked at a Harley store while on the great search for a modular for Lokky. Not a single armored jacket in the damn store, but the dumb stuff was all still $100 and up, just because it's Harley. Bump that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
still shifting
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 640
Location: New Mexico
Bajaj chetak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the buy it and park it syndrome! How can people let a good machine (on any type) rot from neglect? Don't they know macines have Souls? R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Rusty Shackleford
Member


Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 238
Location: Richmond VA
2012 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Wheel World Things I Don't Get Reply with quote

Nice thread!

ericalm wrote:
People who buy 250cc or larger scooters but never ride on the freeway

This is just silly. I had to take the Buddy 125 out on the interstate the other day to test the top speed because none of the non-highway roads have high enough speed limits. In a tuck, I can repeatedly hit 70mph indicated on flat ground and have never fallen below 60mph on a hill climb. A 250 has double the displacement. I know wind drag is exponential, but for exmple, if Genuine is quoting 75mph+ for the Blur 220i, I bet you a Coke that I could hold almost 80mph indicated on a flat and climb hills without dropping below 70mph. I know it's a scooter, but if you're riding anything over a 250 you may want to consider growing a pair and enjoying your bike. Wink

Rusty J wrote:
...regarding a few previous WTFs:

- Way too many mirrors: This started as a sarcastic response to the first laws in Britain requiring mirrors on motorscooters.

- "Ape-hanger" (tall) motorcycle handlebars: A way to deal with carpal tunnel syndrome before anyone knew what it was. You're pretty much forced to roll your wrists into an ergonomically correct position by hanging onto the grips. When highway speeds were lower it didn't matter so much that this turned you into a human drag chute, and back then, optimized handling wasn't really a priority.

- "Chopper" (raked-out) forks: When motorcycle frame geometry was a black art rather than a science, this was a way to provide additional stability (lifting the steering head increases the rake angle by tilting the rest of the bike backward). Also, for drag-racing, it moved the center of mass forward to enable more solid launches without bringing the front wheel up.

These are all carried on as styling features (an excuse to add chrome) rather than out of any functional requirement.

^ I love this! I know some cruiser riders I want to share this with. Not to sound like a proponent of ageism in any way, but my GF pointed out that cruisers have a very "old-man bike" vibe. Let that marinate in your brain for a few minutes and you'll find it hard to refute. Cruisers are very much so a "traditionalist" bike. Unfortunately, without a refined or matured rider, they can also look a bit trashy/tacky, giving off a wanna-be biker vibe.

_________________
C'mon, sko sko sko!


Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
az_slynch
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 1766
Location: Tucson, AZ
'18 Spade, '16 K-Pipe, '13 Stella 4T, '12 Yager GT200i, '81 Vespa P200e and Far Too Many Others

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

Here's my list...

1.) Future champion of what? getting ripped off by buying cheap chinese crap? I had no idea that stickers made a scooter go faster!


Only bargain-basement import tuner kids belive that stickers add horsepower.

The truth is, blasting the Crazy Frog cover of Axel F on your portable music player while riding probably works better. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

_________________
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.