Weather check

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

@ericalm made me learn something today: How to "reverse lookup" a Twitter-shortened URL! :)
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

58 degrees in Indy \m/
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

First accumulating snowfall of the season this morning - only an inch or two, but there are 20-car pileups on the Interstate, closed highways, etc. Sheesh.

Of course, every year there are the knuckleheads who bought their very first SUV and think they're invincible, usually ending up in the ditch or causing the aforementioned pileups.. While heading down the Interstate to work this morning at about 30mph, some yutz in a new SUV blows by me at about 55. Never fails.

Let's hope the snow-on-the-scooters doesn't last too long.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

had a similar exp. in Denver yesterday (I'm sure the storm worked it's way to you...). Lots of ice, lots of accidents. By sundown it was fairly clear, very cold this morning. Too many icy spots to take the scoots out again, maybe not 'til the weekend :cry:
TVB

Post by TVB »

About six inches of snow overnight, so the roads range from wet and slushy (at best) to... six inches of snow. So of course I didn't try to ride the scooter.

My upstairs neighbor did. :wha:

He was just starting his used no-name as I was pulling out, so I didn't see how he fared on it. I'm pretty sure he already sees me as an old buzzkill, so I didn't try to lecture him on what a foolish idea it was to ride a scooter in these conditions. I'd told him this past summer when he asked for advice about buying a scooter for riding to college classes that it was a 3-season thing, and there are things that some people will only learn from experience. So I just gave him a grim smile and said "gonna be pretty slippery out there".

The good news is that he wears a full-face helmet, and he's already had a minor spill on this bike (which I know because he asked me where to take it for repairs) so at least he has some idea of what he's in for when that happens. I wished him luck. And I hope I see the scoot parked behind the house again tonight.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

oof. I don't like riding when there's any kind of ice about.

The good news is the storm we got a few days ago is pretty much gone along the main roads, so other than a few weaves here and there to avoid a small patch we're good until the next one. Should be a lovely week for riding from here for a while.
TVB

Post by TVB »

TVB wrote:And I hope I see the scoot parked behind the house again tonight.
I got home this evening and it was back where he parks it.
The snow was drifted, so I couldn't tell how recently it had been put there... whether he gave up right away and came back with it this morning, or actually made it to school and rode back later in the day.
Also, I don't remember if the left-side mirror was broken off before or not. :?
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Raining, rode to work, will be riding back in the rain. But it is 60 degrees.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Fri 27 Sunny 71°F
Sat 28 Sunny / Wind 72°F
Sun 29 Sunny 71°F

Gezz, I'm really worried about the wind on Saturday.
Fargo Rollin

Post by Fargo Rollin »

Today: 31 and snow
Tomorrow: 25 and snow
Sunday: 19 and clear

Sigh, just 2.5 more months..
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Well, we've had a fairly mild winter here in upstate NY.. the high for today is almost 50! But it's pouring, and Serenity is still trapped in the back of the garage, poo :(
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Nice, Edwub, but I couldn't afford the Sunshine Tax to live there!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Highs around 80° this week, upper 60s next week. Windy and dry. Wildfire weather.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:Highs around 80° this week, upper 60s next week. Windy and dry. Wildfire weather.
And people say we don't have seasons. Pshaw!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

We've still been having some days above freezing the past week, and nights below freezing, which makes for frosty roads in the morning. I got the scoot out for a joyride one evening. But winter's taking another sincere stab at us, and we've got a blanket of snow on the ground – and the streets – again.

In what I'm sure is not a coincidence, the neighbor who's been taking his scoot out in all these conditions came home on it today followed by truck carrying... a car. I've been going back and forth between worrying about him like an old mother hen, and feeling like a gutless old man afraid to do the same myself. Apparently he's relieved me of both, by giving in to the weather and spending the money on a vehicle better suited to winter driving conditions. He still has the scooter, though. :)

I'm sure that coming up with the money to buy a car wasn't easy for him... which I can relate to because of the money I just had to pour into mine. Since I'm now driving it every day, I had to bit the bullet and have the brakes done. I could've bought a brand new chinascoot for the money I just spent maintaining that damn cage. :(
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

high of 80, low of 70. Pretty much everyday for next 2 months. .01 inches of rain so far this month. One of the few times I'm not complaining about living in South Florida. Riding year round is not something I would be willing to give up(I guess I'm moving to CA when I move). Sorry for bragging but I have so little :o and rarely get the chance. My Scoot is my ray of sunshine.
2 > 4
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Chilly wrote:high of 80, low of 70. Pretty much everyday for next 2 months. .01 inches of rain so far this month. One of the few times I'm not complaining about living in South Florida. Riding year round is not something I would be willing to give up(I guess I'm moving to CA when I move). Sorry for bragging but I have so little :o and rarely get the chance. My Scoot is my ray of sunshine.
The irony of your screen name being "Chilly" is not lost on me :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

Here in D/FW land it's been very sunny and windy for the past few days and been getting to work and back just fine. Today (Jan 29), though, it was too cold (27 degrees at 5:30 am) to take the scooter for me so I wimped out by taking the pickup. Next several days its suppose to be warmer lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's to go by scooter.
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

61 degrees in Indy in JANUARY!!! Going to take a ride around downtown and check out all the Super Bowl happenings.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The combo of daily high temps in the 40s and no precipitation has fully cleared the streets of slippery stuff. Against all probability, I just rode my scooter to work in February. :shock:
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

TVB wrote:The combo of daily high temps in the 40s and no precipitation has fully cleared the streets of slippery stuff. Against all probability, I just rode my scooter to work in February. :shock:
:goofy: :rofl: "Don't you get cold?" :wtf: :clown:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

we got nearly a foot of snow, and another 4-6" on the way. I hope they clear it quick, I don't like being forced to drive the cage a lot and it's harder to dig out!
TVB

Post by TVB »

rkcoker wrote::goofy: :rofl: "Don't you get cold?" :wtf: :clown:
Not if I wear clothes. :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

A lazy Sunday afternoon, I rode 34 miles today to move a tag in another game I play. To demonstrate to the guys that scooterists are badass, I snapped this pic. In no way does it reveal the real temp as the wind was simply wikkid.

The largest of the reservoirs that store the drinking water for Providence, Scituate Reservoir.

A close-up, yes, that's ice.

Layer after layer after layer. I absolutely needed the scooter skirt OVER my armoured, insulated m/c pants. The only part of me that was miserable were my toes. I just can't figure out a way to keep them warm.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Nice cold riding set-up Siobhan, great photos. I wish I had your gloves, I still have leather work-gloves with cloth liners.
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

Siobhan, I've always found keeping the trunk of your body much more warmer to help the extremities. Well, anyway, it's always worked for me. :whew:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

rkcoker wrote:Siobhan, I've always found keeping the trunk of your body much more warmer to help the extremities. Well, anyway, it's always worked for me. :whew:
That helps, but I prefer a more direct approach. :wink:
Attachments
Heated Socks.JPG
Heated Socks.JPG (30.53 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Those socks look awesome. I definitely could have used them at the shooting range yesterday, thick leather work boots and two pairs of socks were just not enough.

Anyway, this is the "weather check" thread, so here's my check in for this week:

We have gotten back into winter temperatures, though still warm for february at lows of 20-something and highs of low 30-something. I woke up to a little bit of snow this morning, but it melted by the time I left for work. For some reason the town decided to salt the crap out of our culdesac AFTER the snow was already gone :wtf: We're supposed to be getting "flurries" for the next couple of nights, but warming up a bit to highs in the low 40s during the days, so thankfully, nothing should stick!
Keeping optimistic for an early spring!

...of course, I still need to get my title and registration for the scooter fixed, thanks to my no-good-dirty-rotten-lazy-stupid dealer.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

1-2 day rain event has us bitterly grounded. If anyone told us when we lived in Cleveland we would not ride in the rain here, I would have laughed b/c in Cleveland if you don't ride in the rain (or cold), you don't ride much. IN S.Cal people are fools in rain, so for self preservation purposes, if it rains we carpool in the cage. hate it!
TVB

Post by TVB »

After having a March which the National Weather Service referred to as "the 10th warmest April on record", April is turning out to be... just another April.

So I've been wearing the cold-weather gloves in the morning and switching to the warm-weather gloves in the evening. Except that some time on Wednesday, probably when I was running errands all over town after work, one of the cold-weather gloves went missing from my glove bucket. So now I'm wearing one cold-weather glove and one warm-weather glove in the morning. :(
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I haven't been riding, but I can echo that. March was extremely nice, and April has sent us back to 45 at night, 65-75 during the day. Spots of rain, some thunderstorms. For the last week and a half or so, no real rain threat and the humidity has been low, and it's been breezy- so we've had an unusual weather statement in effect for this area:

HEY YOU IDJITS, DON'T SET THE STATE ON FIAH. THX, THE WEATHER PEEPS.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Los Angeles

cold / wet /sucks

Hope it gets better
Riding is riding
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The Moonshine Lunch ride was a rainout for me today. :(

http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

45 and windy this morning in Atlanta. Supposed to bounce back into the 70s later this week.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

A bright and sunny 93F today! :helmet:
Riding is riding
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Holy crap, has the summer been that nice that this thread hasn't been updated since May?

48 and nippy this morning in Atlanta; supposed to hit 76 and sunny today, so that'll be nice...

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I believe it was 50f coming in. Came in on some rural highway this morning, felt great!

Not looking forward to the weather when I return from vacation, since it will be nearly mid-October, I bet I'll have to wear a lot more layers!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

44F on the morning commute from Nashville to La Vergne, TN (~27 miles). I wore the Prima "Commander Riker" jacket with the busted plastic zipper (my beer gut is hard on plastic zippers), and the Timberline down-filled vest to span the gap. ;)

77F when I left work, so I stuffed the vest under the seat of the PCX Called Wanda.
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Image Hot 91 degrees and humid, still :(
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

So. Hurricane in November. Yeah. That's happening.

We're kind of preparing for it to be really bad here- word is that we're going to get hit with several inches of hard rain and very bad winds... the forecast for Tuesday says 'Gusts up to 50mph'. Oddly enough, that's the only indication of Frankenstorm on the 5-day forecast on weather.com, leading me to believe it's the only thing concretely predictable.

Here in Richmond, whenever we hear about a storm that's worse than a couple hours of rain, everybody goes "OHNO WHAT SHALL WE DO?!" And runs to the store and buys bread and milk... sometimes it ends up being a real reason to worry, sometimes not. The last time nobody thought there was cause for concern, practically the whole city got caught with their pants down, though... and from the storm tracker I just read, the western edge of the storm is already giving a heck of a storm surge in OBX and taking down trees in Wilmington (NC).

So, tomorrow we're driving Lokky's Buell to my house to park it under my carport, and when it starts storming, we're pulling the Stella into the apartment building. Then we're sitting around with cider and movies, and maybe some friends and some cards.

Hope all you guys in the Mid Atlantic/Northeast, and just inland of us are ready and stay safe for whatever comes. :shock:
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Hope you don't lose power!
Here in Maine, we don't really start freaking out until stuff is actually happening outside our windows. I heard it was going to pass us by, but then I looked at the weather sites, and it looks like southern Maine will be getting at least some wind and rain. I'm hoping it's bad enough to cancel classes and maybe work, since I am more chicken than I used to be about riding in the rain. And since people around here drive worse depending on the severity of the weather, I'd rather not even chance it if I can get away with it.

Good luck, and we'll see you all on the other side of Frankenstorm!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I just wanna whine a bit. It was freakin' cold this morning. It was cold yesterday. It was cold last night. It's gonna be cold tonight. We're getting a nor'eastah tomorrow. Waah, I hate winter.

It was 32F when I left the house on my commute this morning. Why, why are you, Mother Nature, so cruel to us New Englandahs? Just a few more weeks of temperate mornings, is that too much to ask?
stASH

Post by stASH »

Wow, I'm surprised it wasn't colder up there. It was 29 here in Richmond, many many miles south of you. My fingers were very angry with me by the time we got to the office. I'm thinking it's time to buy some of those Hippo Hands things.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Wierd day in Tucson. It's cloudless and sunny, with a high of 90F predicted. When I fired up the Yager this morning, it was 48F. It looks like the cold months are finally arriving by night, but summer isn't quite ready to give up the days.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Last couple of rides home from work have been brutal, despite my ample layering. I don't know how I am going to make it through the winter...
TVB

Post by TVB »

persephonelily wrote:Last couple of rides home from work have been brutal, despite my ample layering. I don't know how I am going to make it through the winter...
I don't intend to make it through the winter. I've got a new leather coat with a liner that'll help keep me warm... but when the snow hits the roads, I'll be parking the scoot. I don't want to have to put the armor to use on slippery surfaces.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I won't ride if it's slick, but I don't really have the option of putting her up in the cold. I can't go back to a 20 minute commute taking 2.5 hours by bus. And I still have to layer, because the bus only comes within a mile of my stops.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Rainy and cold; 45ish this morning and 55ish for the high, but not much of a difference with all the moisture.

Things may warm up for Atlanta over the next week, but not by much. May be time to start getting the cover and Tender Jr. ready... :cry: